From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Russia breaks stalemate
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:17:07 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:17 UTC

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ex-cia-director-says-russia-030911030.html

<quotes>

Ex-CIA director says Russia has broken the stalemate in Ukraine and is 'on the offensive' along the 600-mile war front

The Russians are no longer on the back foot in Ukraine, says former CIA chief Robert Gates.

"A lot of people are referring to the war at this point as a stalemate," Gates told The Washington Post in an interview on Wednesday. "I'm afraid I believe that, at this point, it's actually not so much a stalemate, but that the Russians have regained momentum."

He told the Post that Ukraine losing the strategically significant city of Avdiivka has allowed the Russians to move combat lines further east.

House Republicans appear likely to block a Senate-approved $60 billion aid deal for Ukraine.

"The cost of inaction by the Congress is stark. And it's being born on the shoulders of Ukrainian soldiers," National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told journalists.

</quotes>