From: the.happy.hippy.nntp@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: PO whitewash unravelling
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:42:34 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:42 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68411615

<quotes>

The former Post Office chairman, Mr Staunton, has shocked MPs by claiming that the company's current chief executive Nick Read is under investigation.

The Department for Business and Trade said that it was aware that Mr Read was also under investigation but it had "not seen the 80-page report referred to by Henry Staunton and cannot attest to the content".

Mr Staunton gave an interview more than a week ago claiming that he had been told by a senior civil servant in January last year to slow down the spend on sub-postmaster compensation.

Ms Badenoch hit back at the claims saying they were "completely false". She also said she had sacked Mr Staunton following "very serious allegations about his conduct while chair of the Post Office".

Mr Staunton said on Tuesday that he was the victim of a "smear campaign", before he claimed that Mr Read was at the centre of an investigation, consisting of allegations made by the Post Office's former HR boss.

Charlotte Nichols, a Labour MP who sits on the Commons Business committee, hit out at Ms Badenoch after the hearing.

"I think [Tuesday's hearing] really raises a number of questions for Kemi Badenoch, particularly as she came in quite characteristically two-footed in her denials of [Mr Staunton's] assertions when they were first made.

</quotes>

I am not sure why MP's were shocked by the revelation of an investigation the Department for Business and Trade knew was ongoing. Had Badenoch not told them, tried to keep that under wraps ?

We can all see how sub-postmasters struggled to get compensation until the ITV drama aired when Sunak immediately went into damage limitation mode.

If Badenoch was hoping to make Staunton a scapegoat for government inaction and failure; that seems to be back-firing badly.