From: chrispvholmes@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: (Very) Cold starting problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:45:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:q3byNWGBD+9C1kqjnxvs7+3WbMk=
 by: Chris Holmes - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:45 UTC

Hi All,

I bought a 2006 2.2 D Toyota Corolla Verso in Nov 22…

It didn’t like starting in the cold / damp. It could be started
with the aid of a jump start pack, unless it was below 0 degrees Celsius,
in which case the engine barely turned over.

A jump start from a similar spec car would then start it.

Replaced the battery, no difference.

Fitted a supplementary earth cable from the battery to the engine (near the
starter) and it now starts without the jump start pack, but not this
morning (-7 degrees).

I (and a tyre place) have tested the battery (when warm) and it is fine).

So next step…..

Replace starter??

Or could I put the battery on charge for a few hours in the morning prior
to trying to start (and thus nurse it through the small number of really
cold days between now & spring??

Or test the battery on a cold morning (perhaps it really doesn’t like the
cold??

Re: (Very) Cold starting problem

<l0nftaF75lnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1511&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1511

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: (Very) Cold starting problem
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:50:35 +0000
 by: alan_m - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:50 UTC

On 16/01/2024 11:45, Chris Holmes wrote:

> Or test the battery on a cold morning (perhaps it really doesn’t like the
> cold??

Or you are not driving far/long enough to replace the energy you have
removed from the battery each day. On cold days you probably also have
the heated back screen on, lights on etc. after starting the car and so
little goes back to charging the battery unless you are driving 30+ miles.

Or something is draining the battery when the car is switched off. Some
accessory is still drawing power 24/365, maybe something as simple as a
faulty boot light switch that leaves a light on etc.

Re: (Very) Cold starting problem

<uo62g3$1fill$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1512&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1512

From: chrispvholmes@gmail.com (Chris Holmes)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:05:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1kewuiXZTm6GZMYIBaWVsOb0HOQ=
 by: Chris Holmes - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:05 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/01/2024 11:45, Chris Holmes wrote:
>
>> Or test the battery on a cold morning (perhaps it really doesn’t like the
>> cold??
>
> Or you are not driving far/long enough to replace the energy you have
> removed from the battery each day. On cold days you probably also have
> the heated back screen on, lights on etc. after starting the car and so
> little goes back to charging the battery unless you are driving 30+ miles.
>
> Or something is draining the battery when the car is switched off. Some
> accessory is still drawing power 24/365, maybe something as simple as a
> faulty boot light switch that leaves a light on etc.

Driving an hour each way to work, and have checked with an ammeter that the
drain when switched off is minimal (radio memory and presumably an ECU or
three).