From: elwishRemovE@runboxRemovE.uk (Andrew276)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Calcium Batteries?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:55:00 +0000
 by: Andrew276 - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:55 UTC

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.

I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but I've
also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause the
alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.

The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.

Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
batteries?

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<uqq8iv$d782$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1517&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1517

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Subject: Re: Calcium Batteries?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:25:05 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:25 UTC

On 16/02/2024 11:55, Andrew276 wrote:
> I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
> fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.
>
> I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but I've
> also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause the
> alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.
>
> The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.
>
> Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
> than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
> batteries?

This might be of interest:
https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/

In practice there is very little difference between battery descriptions
and they are all lead-acid technology.

Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for your car?

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<uqre8n$l0sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1518&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1518

From: elwishRemovE@runboxRemovE.uk (Andrew276)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:08:06 +0000
 by: Andrew276 - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:08 UTC

On 17/02/2024 12:25, Fredxx wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 11:55, Andrew276 wrote:
>> I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
>> fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.
>>
>> I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but I've
>> also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause the
>> alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.
>>
>> The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.
>>
>> Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
>> than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
>> batteries?
>
> This might be of interest:
>   https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/
>
> In practice there is very little difference between battery descriptions
> and they are all lead-acid technology.
>
> Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for your car?

(Ha - an answer! . . . good to see this group still works)

At the VWAudio forum, I'm told that the part number is 000 915 105 DG,
but I'm not clear if that is a calcium battery or not.

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<uqssl2$11kno$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1519&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1519

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:19:48 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:19 UTC

On 17/02/2024 23:08, Andrew276 wrote:
> On 17/02/2024 12:25, Fredxx wrote:
>> On 16/02/2024 11:55, Andrew276 wrote:
>>> I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
>>> fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.
>>>
>>> I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but
>>> I've also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause
>>> the alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.
>>>
>>> The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.
>>>
>>> Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
>>> than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
>>> batteries?
>>
>> This might be of interest:
>>    https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/
>>
>> In practice there is very little difference between battery
>> descriptions and they are all lead-acid technology.
>>
>> Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for your
>> car?
>
> (Ha - an answer! . . . good to see this group still works)
>
> At the VWAudio forum, I'm told that the part number is 000 915 105 DG,
> but I'm not clear if that is a calcium battery or not.

Technically it is a lead-acid batter and calcium is a marketing tool.

Personally, I think you're overthinking this and it should be fine.
Calcium versions are said to accept a higher charging voltage without
gassing.

They will still charge at 14.4V, just like any other lead-acid battery.

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<ur0o9n$24emb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1520&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1520

From: elwishRemovE@runboxRemovE.uk (Andrew276)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:29:58 +0000
 by: Andrew276 - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 23:29 UTC

On 18/02/2024 12:19, Fredxx wrote:
> On 17/02/2024 23:08, Andrew276 wrote:

>>> This might be of interest:
>>>    https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/
>>>
>>> In practice there is very little difference between battery
>>> descriptions and they are all lead-acid technology.
>>>
>>> Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for
>>> your car?
>>
>> (Ha - an answer! . . . good to see this group still works)
>>
>> At the VWAudio forum, I'm told that the part number is 000 915 105 DG,
>> but I'm not clear if that is a calcium battery or not.
>
> Technically it is a lead-acid batter and calcium is a marketing tool.
>
> Personally, I think you're overthinking this and it should be fine.
> Calcium versions are said to accept a higher charging voltage without
> gassing.
>
> They will still charge at 14.4V, just like any other lead-acid battery.

You sure? I've seen a lot about them needing 14.8. Honest John says:
"Despite the name, a 'calcium' battery is still a lead acid battery - it
just means antimony in the plates of the battery has been replaced by
calcium. This means it's more resistant to corrosion but it does require
a higher charge voltage than conventional batteries. "

and from
https://www.batteryskills.com/are-lead-acid-and-lead-calcium-batteries-interchangeable/

"Another difference between the two types of batteries is their charging
characteristics. Lead-calcium batteries generally require a higher
charging voltage than lead-acid batteries to achieve full charge. This
is because the calcium in the electrodes makes it more difficult for the
battery to accept a charge.
Practical Implications

In practical terms, the interchangeability of lead-acid and lead-calcium
batteries depends on the specific application and the requirements of
the system. In some cases, lead-calcium batteries may be a suitable
replacement for lead-acid batteries, while in other cases, they may not be.

One important consideration is the voltage and capacity of the battery.
Lead-calcium batteries typically have a slightly higher voltage than
lead-acid batteries, which can affect the performance of the system if
it is not designed to handle the higher voltage."

Yes there is little doubt that I'm overthinking it but I like to get to
the bottom of things.

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<ur61ot$3e3em$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1521&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1521

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:42:24 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 23:42 UTC

On 19/02/2024 23:29, Andrew276 wrote:
> On 18/02/2024 12:19, Fredxx wrote:

>>> (Ha - an answer! . . . good to see this group still works)
>>>
>>> At the VWAudio forum, I'm told that the part number is 000 915 105
>>> DG, but I'm not clear if that is a calcium battery or not.
>>
>> Technically it is a lead-acid batter and calcium is a marketing tool.
>>
>> Personally, I think you're overthinking this and it should be fine.
>> Calcium versions are said to accept a higher charging voltage without
>> gassing.
>>
>> They will still charge at 14.4V, just like any other lead-acid battery.
>
> You sure? I've seen a lot about them needing 14.8. Honest John says:
> "Despite the name, a 'calcium' battery is still a lead acid battery - it
> just means antimony in the plates of the battery has been replaced by
> calcium. This means it's more resistant to corrosion but it does require
> a higher charge voltage than conventional batteries. "
>
> and from
> https://www.batteryskills.com/are-lead-acid-and-lead-calcium-batteries-interchangeable/
>
> "Another difference between the two types of batteries is their charging
> characteristics. Lead-calcium batteries generally require a higher
> charging voltage than lead-acid batteries to achieve full charge. This
> is because the calcium in the electrodes makes it more difficult for the
> battery to accept a charge.
> Practical Implications
>
> In practical terms, the interchangeability of lead-acid and lead-calcium
> batteries depends on the specific application and the requirements of
> the system. In some cases, lead-calcium batteries may be a suitable
> replacement for lead-acid batteries, while in other cases, they may not be.
>
> One important consideration is the voltage and capacity of the battery.
> Lead-calcium batteries typically have a slightly higher voltage than
> lead-acid batteries, which can affect the performance of the system if
> it is not designed to handle the higher voltage."
>

> Yes there is little doubt that I'm overthinking it but I like to get to
> the bottom of things.

The basic chemistry is lead acid. The calcium battery will accept a
higher charge voltage with less outgassing. I'm not convinced its a
pre-requisite for such a battery to accept a charge to need the higher
charging voltage.

While I also see many articles that say a charging voltage should be
within 14.4-14.8V I've never seen any graphs of charge and voltage over
time. Hell, the float charge voltage for a lead acid is 13.6 to 13.8V
and it will become fully charged at that float charging voltage, albeit
eventually. It's all about time and voltage to get to a known state of
charge. Furthermore some articles say the terminals won't corrode as
much which is BS. Other BS terms I have seen is "recombination process".

The real advantage of a calcium battery is it is resistant to corrosion;
it has no excessive gassing, less water usage, and reduced
self-discharge. And that last point that will be overwhelmed by the
discharge from the car's electronics anyway.

YMMV

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<usn8g0$3mf4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1523&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1523

From: no@way.com (The Hanging Baskets of Babylon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:37:36 +0000
 by: The Hanging Baskets - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:37 UTC

Fredxx wrote:
> On 16/02/2024 11:55, Andrew276 wrote:
>> I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
>> fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.
>>
>> I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but I've
>> also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause the
>> alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.
>>
>> The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.
>>
>> Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
>> than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
>> batteries?
>
> This might be of interest:
>   https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/
>
> In practice there is very little difference between battery descriptions
> and they are all lead-acid technology.
>
> Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for your car?

I remember, years ago, buying a gel battery for my motorbike (I thought
it would be safer if I fell off). I was surprised to find it was just
like any other vehicle battery.

Re: Calcium Batteries?

<uso2sm$3sa56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1524&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#1524

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:08:06 +0000
 by: Fredxx - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 23:08 UTC

On 11/03/2024 15:37, The Hanging Baskets of Babylon wrote:
> Fredxx wrote:
>> On 16/02/2024 11:55, Andrew276 wrote:
>>> I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the subject of
>>> fitting a calcium battery to an older vehicle.
>>>
>>> I've found conflicting information on this. Some say it is OK but
>>> I've also read that they require a higher charging voltage and cause
>>> the alternator to work harder and can cause damage in older cars.
>>>
>>> The car in question is a VW Golf 2008 1.9TDI.
>>>
>>> Also I'm wondering if compatibility depends on the alternator rather
>>> than the car. Are newer alternators designed to work OK with calcium
>>> batteries?
>>
>> This might be of interest:
>>    https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/silver-calcium-batteries/
>>
>> In practice there is very little difference between battery
>> descriptions and they are all lead-acid technology.
>>
>> Is there a fitment guide that recommends the intended battery for your
>> car?
>
> I remember, years ago, buying a gel battery for my motorbike (I thought
> it would be safer if I fell off).  I was surprised to find it was just
> like any other vehicle battery.

Almost, a significant difference is it wouldn't leak acid if inverted.