"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -- Albert Einstein

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.BrritSki
+- OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.John Ashby
`* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.Jenny M Benson
 +- OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.Mike McMillan
 `* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.Nick Odell
  +* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.Sam Plusnet
  |`* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.BrritSki
  | `* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.John Ashby
  |  `* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.BrritSki
  |   `* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.John Ashby
  |    `* OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.BrritSki
  |     `- OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.J. P. Gilliver
  `- OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.Sally Thompson

1
OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kcp0sjFnmrpU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15404&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15404

From: RtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 11:21:09 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Fri, 19 May 2023 10:21 UTC

Nice letter in today's Times:

TERRIFYING PURSUIT
Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
May 18).

Giles Whiting
Taunton, Somerset

SOmeone commented, and I replied:

LGardiner
Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.

Roger BrriTilbury
Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
Megrim, not the Orcas).

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<u47j46$l7sm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15407&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15407

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 11:30:30 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Fri, 19 May 2023 10:30 UTC

On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
> Nice letter in today's Times:
>
> TERRIFYING PURSUIT
> Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
> catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
> and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
> result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
> Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
> least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
> May 18).
>
> Giles Whiting
> Taunton, Somerset
>
> SOmeone commented, and I replied:
>
> LGardiner
> Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
>
> Roger BrriTilbury
> Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
> Megrim, not the Orcas).

Did the orcas think Janet and Stephen would make a Set Asian meal?

john

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kcp4jhFnehiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15410&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15410

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:24:31 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:24 UTC

On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
> Nice letter in today's Times:
>
> TERRIFYING PURSUIT
> Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
> catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
> and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
> result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
> Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
> least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
> May 18).
>
> Giles Whiting
> Taunton, Somerset
>
> SOmeone commented, and I replied:
>
> LGardiner
> Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
>
> Roger BrriTilbury
> Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
> Megrim, not the Orcas).

For some reason I can't account for, I was pondering the H & M story in
the early sleepless hours of this morning. My thoughts were along these
lines:

If I drive through town at a moderate speed and other cars follow me,
they are simply following me and it's probably not at all dangerous and
now worthy of an item in News broadcasts. On the other hand, if I drive
at considerable speed and other cars follow me it is almost certainly
dangerous and might well end up as a News item.

So unless I want to end up headlining the News I will take care to drive
at a moderate speed and not give a toss for the people following me.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<u47o63$lod7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15411&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15411

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 11:56:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ANzaGFF3Wk9B1f9QjPWnZDMVyZ8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:56 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
>> Nice letter in today's Times:
>>
>> TERRIFYING PURSUIT
>> Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
>> catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
>> and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
>> result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
>> Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
>> least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
>> May 18).
>>
>> Giles Whiting
>> Taunton, Somerset
>>
>> SOmeone commented, and I replied:
>>
>> LGardiner
>> Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
>>
>> Roger BrriTilbury
>> Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
>> Megrim, not the Orcas).
>
> For some reason I can't account for, I was pondering the H & M story in
> the early sleepless hours of this morning. My thoughts were along these
> lines:
>
> If I drive through town at a moderate speed and other cars follow me,
> they are simply following me and it's probably not at all dangerous and
> now worthy of an item in News broadcasts. On the other hand, if I drive
> at considerable speed and other cars follow me it is almost certainly
> dangerous and might well end up as a News item.
>
> So unless I want to end up headlining the News I will take care to drive
> at a moderate speed and not give a toss for the people following me.

Or drive very slowly until the drivers behind you get right ex - royally
fed up of it all and overtake or turn off…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<5a2b0e92-d3df-429b-b02d-efaff05044bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15417&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15417

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 08:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 19 May 2023 15:58 UTC

On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:24:36 AM UTC, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
> > Nice letter in today's Times:
> >
> > TERRIFYING PURSUIT
> > Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
> > catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
> > and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
> > result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
> > Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
> > least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
> > May 18).
> >
> > Giles Whiting
> > Taunton, Somerset
> >
> > SOmeone commented, and I replied:
> >
> > LGardiner
> > Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
> >
> > Roger BrriTilbury
> > Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
> > Megrim, not the Orcas).
> For some reason I can't account for, I was pondering the H & M story in
> the early sleepless hours of this morning. My thoughts were along these
> lines:
>
> If I drive through town at a moderate speed and other cars follow me,
> they are simply following me and it's probably not at all dangerous and
> now worthy of an item in News broadcasts. On the other hand, if I drive
> at considerable speed and other cars follow me it is almost certainly
> dangerous and might well end up as a News item.
>
> So unless I want to end up headlining the News I will take care to drive
> at a moderate speed and not give a toss for the people following me.
> --
> Jenny M Benson
> Wrexham, UK
It seems that lawyers for the couple have written to the lawyers for the photographic agency and have demanded that they be given the pictures which were taken.

The lawyers for the photographic agency have written back:

"In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.

"Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.

"We stand by our founding fathers."

See:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65642614

Nick

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<BrR9M.789352$QS94.686592@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15427&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15427

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 22:00:16 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:00 UTC

On 19-May-23 16:58, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:24:36 AM UTC, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Nice letter in today's Times:
>>>
>>> TERRIFYING PURSUIT
>>> Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
>>> catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
>>> and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
>>> result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
>>> Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
>>> least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
>>> May 18).
>>>
>>> Giles Whiting
>>> Taunton, Somerset
>>>
>>> SOmeone commented, and I replied:
>>>
>>> LGardiner
>>> Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
>>>
>>> Roger BrriTilbury
>>> Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
>>> Megrim, not the Orcas).
>> For some reason I can't account for, I was pondering the H & M story in
>> the early sleepless hours of this morning. My thoughts were along these
>> lines:
>>
>> If I drive through town at a moderate speed and other cars follow me,
>> they are simply following me and it's probably not at all dangerous and
>> now worthy of an item in News broadcasts. On the other hand, if I drive
>> at considerable speed and other cars follow me it is almost certainly
>> dangerous and might well end up as a News item.
>>
>> So unless I want to end up headlining the News I will take care to drive
>> at a moderate speed and not give a toss for the people following me.
>> --
>> Jenny M Benson
>> Wrexham, UK
> It seems that lawyers for the couple have written to the lawyers for the photographic agency and have demanded that they be given the pictures which were taken.
>
> The lawyers for the photographic agency have written back:
>
> "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.
>
> "Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.
>
> "We stand by our founding fathers."
>
> See:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65642614

If they decided to sue the agency, then they would get access to all
those photographs via 'discovery'.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kcrdaoF4ff6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15431&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15431

From: RtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 09:05:45 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 20 May 2023 08:05 UTC

On 19/05/2023 22:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 19-May-23 16:58, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:24:36 AM UTC, Jenny M Benson wrote:

>> It seems that lawyers for the couple have written to the lawyers for
>> the photographic agency and have demanded that they be given the
>> pictures which were taken.
>>
>> The lawyers for the photographic agency have written back:
>>
>> "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of
>> it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps
>> Kings can do.
>>
>> "Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his
>> English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand
>> over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.
>>
>> "We stand by our founding fathers."
>>
>> See:
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65642614
>
> If they decided to sue the agency, then they would get access to all
> those photographs via 'discovery'.

They still wouldn't own them though or be able to prevent publication -
that's why they want them handed over, not so they can see what's in them.

I'm surprised H&M didn't film the chase themselves as that could settle
the matter unquestionably. :/

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<u4a0hj$114a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15432&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15432

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 09:31:47 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 20 May 2023 08:31 UTC

On 20/05/2023 09:05, BrritSki wrote:
> On 19/05/2023 22:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 19-May-23 16:58, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:24:36 AM UTC, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
>>> It seems that lawyers for the couple have written to the lawyers for
>>> the photographic agency and have demanded that they be given the
>>> pictures which were taken.
>>>
>>> The lawyers for the photographic agency have written back:
>>>
>>> "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of
>>> it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps
>>> Kings can do.
>>>
>>> "Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that
>>> his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry
>>> hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country
>>> long ago.
>>>
>>> "We stand by our founding fathers."
>>>
>>> See:
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65642614
>>
>> If they decided to sue the agency, then they would get access to all
>> those photographs via 'discovery'.
>>
> They still wouldn't own them though or be able to prevent publication -
> that's why they want them handed over, not so they can see what's in them.
>
> I'm surprised H&M didn't film the chase themselves as that could settle
> the matter unquestionably.  :/

YACaptainLouisRenaultAICM5Francs

john

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kcrjh6F6p91U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15433&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15433

From: RtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 10:51:34 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 20 May 2023 09:51 UTC

On 20/05/2023 09:31, John Ashby wrote:
> On 20/05/2023 09:05, BrritSki wrote:

>>> If they decided to sue the agency, then they would get access to all
>>> those photographs via 'discovery'.
>>>
>> They still wouldn't own them though or be able to prevent publication
>> - that's why they want them handed over, not so they can see what's in
>> them.
>>
>> I'm surprised H&M didn't film the chase themselves as that could
>> settle the matter unquestionably.  :/
>
> YACaptainLouisRenaultAICM5Francs

IKID but ?

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<u4ab5s$128eh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15436&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15436

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 12:33:16 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 20 May 2023 11:33 UTC

On 20/05/2023 10:51, BrritSki wrote:
> On 20/05/2023 09:31, John Ashby wrote:

>>> They still wouldn't own them though or be able to prevent publication
>>> - that's why they want them handed over, not so they can see what's
>>> in them.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised H&M didn't film the chase themselves as that could
>>> settle the matter unquestionably.  :/
>>
>> YACaptainLouisRenaultAICM5Francs
>>
> IKID but ?

A man who was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that gambling was
going on.

john

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kcrvmsF8k8gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15437&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15437

From: RtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 14:19:25 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 20 May 2023 13:19 UTC

On 20/05/2023 12:33, John Ashby wrote:

>>> YACaptainLouisRenaultAICM5Francs
>>>
>> IKID but ?
>>

> A man who was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that gambling was
> going on.

Ah, not the car company man then....

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<MDjZ9JoUrRakFwKo@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15441&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15441

Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 20:09:08 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:09 UTC

In message <kcrvmsF8k8gU1@mid.individual.net> at Sat, 20 May 2023
14:19:25, BrritSki <RtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com> writes

>>> IKID but ?
>>>

>> A man who was shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that gambling was
>>going on.

From my notes on the relevant clip:

from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeFhSzoTuc; more info. in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgXw58ZP4Ss

(The first clip is 3'4"; the second is only the Marseillaise, without
"ask your wife" and the above line. But has much more info. in the
notes.)

>Ah, not the car company man then....

I must admit I was wondering too - I hadn't logged the character's
surname.

[My email software points out that the first of the two spaces after
"unquestionably." isn't US-ASCII; I know these days we don't care about
such matters, and I see nothing wrong with them for things like £ and ½,
but I think it's a pity that some OSs use them where no visible benefit
accrues. But I know I'm fighting against the dying of the light, or
whatever the phrase is.]

Feudalism : It's your count that votes.

Re: OT: Attempted fish pun thread in Times comments - no bites yet.

<kd3gfhFdhh1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15466&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15466

From: thompson.stonybrook@gmail.com.invalid (Sally Thompson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 23 May 2023 09:48:33 GMT
 by: Sally Thompson - Tue, 23 May 2023 09:48 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 11:24:36 AM UTC, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 19/05/2023 11:21, BrritSki wrote:
>>> Nice letter in today's Times:
>>>
>>> TERRIFYING PURSUIT
>>> Sir, It must be terrifying to be involved in a lengthy “near
>>> catastrophic” high-speed chase by a large pack of aggressive, relentless
>>> and highly mobile pursuers, even if the incident did not prove fatal or
>>> result in any injuries. My thoughts are therefore very much with Janet
>>> Morris and Stephen Bidwell, whose 46ft yacht was chased by a pod of at
>>> least six killer whales for an hour off the coast of Tangier (report,
>>> May 18).
>>>
>>> Giles Whiting
>>> Taunton, Somerset
>>>
>>> SOmeone commented, and I replied:
>>>
>>> LGardiner
>>> Excellent and amusing letter from G Whiting.
>>>
>>> Roger BrriTilbury
>>> Indeed. And very appropriately named too for a fishy story (H and
>>> Megrim, not the Orcas).
>> For some reason I can't account for, I was pondering the H & M story in
>> the early sleepless hours of this morning. My thoughts were along these
>> lines:
>>
>> If I drive through town at a moderate speed and other cars follow me,
>> they are simply following me and it's probably not at all dangerous and
>> now worthy of an item in News broadcasts. On the other hand, if I drive
>> at considerable speed and other cars follow me it is almost certainly
>> dangerous and might well end up as a News item.
>>
>> So unless I want to end up headlining the News I will take care to drive
>> at a moderate speed and not give a toss for the people following me.
>> --
>> Jenny M Benson
>> Wrexham, UK
> It seems that lawyers for the couple have written to the lawyers for the
> photographic agency and have demanded that they be given the pictures which were taken.
>
> The lawyers for the photographic agency have written back:
>
> "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it:
> Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.
>
> "Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his
> English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over
> their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.
>
> "We stand by our founding fathers."
>
> See:
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65642614

I thought this was a brilliant response.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK