From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Possible scam
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:20:54 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 14:20 UTC

The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.

john

Re: Possible scam

<wB-cnTmDmZ_-b-T5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15663&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15663

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 14:45:05 +0100
Subject: Re: Possible scam
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 13:45 UTC

On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:
> The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
> network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
> with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
> was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
> said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
> unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.
>
> john

And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
the link to authorise the payment.

As if!

However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
extracting real value for money!!

No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Possible scam

<u5d3qb$37s5m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15668&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15668

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:02:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KCcjKiyM/ZzSOW9FgVfnuPtWZ8c=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:02 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:
>> The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
>> network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
>> with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
>> was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
>> said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
>> unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.
>>
>> john
>
> And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
> that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
> the link to authorise the payment.
>
> As if!
>
> However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
> in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
> IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
> extracting real value for money!!
>
> No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
> some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!

Then there are the ones who ring to ask to confirm your details (which of
course they don’t yet have, but hope to extract them from the poor
sod/victim being phoned) before they will discuss the purpose of the call
[they say]. My reply is: if you have the details it is up to you to read
them out to me - not me provide them to you!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Possible scam

<dc15e2f7-3559-4ebd-b595-b2a1d43164dan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15693&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15693

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 12:17:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 19:17 UTC

On Friday, June 2, 2023 at 4:02:21 PM UTC, Mike McMillan wrote:
> krw <k...@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> > On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:
> >> The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
> >> network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
> >> with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
> >> was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
> >> said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
> >> unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.
> >>
> >> john
> >
> > And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
> > that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
> > the link to authorise the payment.
> >
> > As if!
> >
> > However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
> > in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
> > IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
> > extracting real value for money!!
> >
> > No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
> > some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!
> >
> Then there are the ones who ring to ask to confirm your details (which of
> course they don’t yet have, but hope to extract them from the poor
> sod/victim being phoned) before they will discuss the purpose of the call
> [they say]. My reply is: if you have the details it is up to you to read
> them out to me - not me provide them to you!

For reasons that are far too boring to go into, I've been taking an interest in what sort of users choose to have an @englandmail.com email address. The most interesting one so far has been a "London-based" bank with a glossy-looking website which offers @englandmail.com as their contact email address. If anyrat feels like investing with them (the people in the photographs look nice, trustworthy souls so why not?) I'll pass along the contact details if you would be so kind as to report back to umra on how your investment goes.

Nick
nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Re: Possible scam

<u5hfbq$3t7hk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15708&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15708

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 07:43:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aAPw3j5GLnOwu8C03/tIb9hoOwM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 07:43 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 2, 2023 at 4:02:21 PM UTC, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> krw <k...@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>> And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
>>> that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
>>> the link to authorise the payment.
>>>
>>> As if!
>>>
>>> However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
>>> in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
>>> IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
>>> extracting real value for money!!
>>>
>>> No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
>>> some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!
>>>
>> Then there are the ones who ring to ask to confirm your details (which of
>> course they don’t yet have, but hope to extract them from the poor
>> sod/victim being phoned) before they will discuss the purpose of the call
>> [they say]. My reply is: if you have the details it is up to you to read
>> them out to me - not me provide them to you!
>>
> For reasons that are far too boring to go into, I've been taking an
> interest in what sort of users choose to have an @englandmail.com email
> address. The most interesting one so far has been a "London-based" bank
> with a glossy-looking website which offers @englandmail.com as their
> contact email address. If anyrat feels like investing with them (the
> people in the photographs look nice, trustworthy souls so why not?) I'll
> pass along the contact details if you would be so kind as to report back
> to umra on how your investment goes.
>
> Nick
> nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Down?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Possible scam

<u5i74p$3vnii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15717&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15717

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:29:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q0kmMv/Zw+p+Ac7gnEsS7cFcFO0=
 by: Chris - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:29 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:
>> The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
>> network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
>> with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
>> was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
>> said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
>> unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.
>>
>> john
>
> And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
> that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
> the link to authorise the payment.
>
> As if!
>
> However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
> in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
> IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
> extracting real value for money!!
>
> No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
> some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!

I always want to read Kodiak as Kodak. Well who wouldn’t?

Mrs McT

Re: Possible scam

<u5i792$3vov8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15719&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15719

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:32:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:J09SsHoPeJ1jYlUPAiMr195fO88=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:32 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:
>>> The last two days I have received calls claiming to be from O2 mobile
>>> network offering me an improved deal on my current contract. I'm not
>>> with O2 and when I said that I was asked questions about which network I
>>> was with and what make and model of phone I was using (all of which I
>>> said they did not need to know). I don't know if this is a scam or just
>>> unsolicited marketing but umrats might like to be aware.
>>>
>>> john
>>
>> And on the subject of scams I had an email today from Amazon telling me
>> that my Prime subscription payment had failed and would I please click
>> the link to authorise the payment.
>>
>> As if!
>>
>> However in Kodiak our driver / guide explained that most organisations
>> in the US shipping to Alaska charged extra (shades of Scotland and the
>> IoM) but with his Prime membership it was all included so he was
>> extracting real value for money!!
>>
>> No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
>> some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!
>>

> I always want to read Kodiak as Kodak. Well who wouldn’t?
>
> Mrs McT

A snap decision?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Possible scam

<GWDHdid5ANfkFwDx@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15733&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15733

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:56:09 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:56 UTC

In message <u5i74p$3vnii$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:29:45,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
[]
>I always want to read Kodiak as Kodak. Well who wouldn’t?
>
>Mrs McT

I imagine a Kodiak moment is a little more alarming than a Kodak one.

Today, I dare say more people know who starred as /The Vicar of Dibley/ than
know the name of the vicar of their local parish. - Clive Anderson, Radio
Times 15-21 January 2011.

Re: Possible scam

<ob7fM.16234$4W15.13060@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15738&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15738

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:17:08 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:17 UTC

On 04-Jun-23 15:29, Chris wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 1.6.23 15:20, John Ashby wrote:

>> No Kodiak bears around but I can see that the locale might appeal to
>> some people - but having a seaplane is almost a necessity!
>>

> I always want to read Kodiak as Kodak. Well who wouldn’t?

I believe those bears are illiterate, so them for a start.

--
Sam Plusnet