He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book. -- B. Franklin

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

SubjectAuthor
* OT: S*dd*ng GmailJenny M Benson
+* OT: S*dd*ng GmailJ. P. Gilliver
|+* OT: S*dd*ng GmailPaul Herber
||`- OT: S*dd*ng GmailJ. P. Gilliver
|`- OT: S*dd*ng GmailMike McMillan
+- OT: S*dd*ng GmailPete W
+* OT: S*dd*ng GmailNick Odell
|`* OT: S*dd*ng GmailJ. P. Gilliver
| `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailNick Odell
|  `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailChris
|   +- OT: S*dd*ng GmailMike McMillan
|   `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailJ. P. Gilliver
|    +- OT: S*dd*ng Gmailkrw
|    `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailChris
|     `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailKate B
|      `* OT: S*dd*ng Gmailkrw
|       `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailBrritSki
|        `* OT: S*dd*ng Gmailkrw
|         +* OT: S*dd*ng GmailKate B
|         |`- OT: S*dd*ng GmailBrritSki
|         `* OT: S*dd*ng GmailSam Plusnet
|          `- OT: S*dd*ng GmailMike McMillan
`- OT: S*dd*ng Gmailkrw

1
OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<kdrr7hF35g5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15645&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15645

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:19:13 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:19 UTC

Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what I
needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my tiny,
elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found a much
simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see if it's
solved the problem.

Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
address.
..
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<ddyxPmr56LekFwpB@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15646&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15646

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:52:25 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:52 UTC

In message <kdrr7hF35g5U1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 1 Jun 2023
16:19:13, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
>Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
>do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what
>I needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my
>tiny, elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found
>a much simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see
>if it's solved the problem.

Yes: I was getting bounces. Not every email, but increasingly so. It's
to do with them being wary of the "from" address, especially (I think)
if the email is sent via a third-party mail relay. The solution people
suggested was indeed complicated: it basically involves adding the name
of the outgoing mail servers you use (in my case relay.plus.net) to a
record associated with your domain (in my case 255soft.uk). Although
complicated, I did eventually (with some help from my hosting provider,
Krystal [who seem OK so far; I moved to them from tsoHost, mainly
because the latter completely ceased telephone support]) implement the
necessary change/addition, and so far it _does_ seem to have worked. [I
can probably dig out what I had to do, but I suspect you'd have
difficulty - not so much a tiny, elderly brain problem, as the one
below.]

I think what happens is: gmail receive an email "from" a certain domain,
then interrogate _that domain_ to say "can your users send emails via
this server?", and if not, they bounce them. Sometimes!

[At least you _get_ the bounces (even though the reason given is
bullshit - suggests the destination does not exist, or something like
that), so you know they've happened; it'd be worse if the emails were
just dumped.]

Though in your case, I'm guessing you're using an outgoing mail server
associated with hotmail.co.uk, and you won't be able to change settings
there. Might be worth contacting their tech support if there is one -
or, failing that, some user group [probably a forum these days )-:] to
ask if other hotmail users have had problems emailing gmail folk (and if
so, have they found a way round it).

>Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
>sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
>really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
>address.
>.
Ditto. It's a pain logging into it - Chrome/gmail want to tie it to
other things I have; since the whole reason for setting it up was to
provide an independent backup, I don't _want_ them to do that, so have
to log into it using an "incognito window".

History is not the past. It is the method we have evolved of organising our
ignorance of the past. - Hilary Mantel, first Reith Lecture 2017

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<89gh7idabnpgpeicr7o5bpno35falkae4t@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15647&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15647

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 17:04:13 +0100
 by: Paul Herber - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:04 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:52:25 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <kdrr7hF35g5U1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 1 Jun 2023
>16:19:13, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>>Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
>>Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
>>do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what
>>I needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my
>>tiny, elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found
>>a much simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see
>>if it's solved the problem.
>
>Yes: I was getting bounces. Not every email, but increasingly so. It's
>to do with them being wary of the "from" address, especially (I think)
>if the email is sent via a third-party mail relay. The solution people
>suggested was indeed complicated: it basically involves adding the name
>of the outgoing mail servers you use (in my case relay.plus.net) to a
>record associated with your domain (in my case 255soft.uk). Although
>complicated, I did eventually (with some help from my hosting provider,
>Krystal

I also use Krystal now, seem very good.
I've just sent a few emails from each domain name to gmail and all seem ok.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<oLpc64tUoMekFweI@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15648&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15648

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer03.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 17:40:52 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

In message
<89gh7idabnpgpeicr7o5bpno35falkae4t@news.eternal-september.org> at Thu,
1 Jun 2023 17:04:13, Paul Herber <paul@paulherber.co.uk> writes
[]
>I also use Krystal now, seem very good.

Not cheap, though in the scheme of things not exorbitant (cheaper than
Radio Times, for example); I decided I couldn't be bothered with the
hassle of going for the cheapest (and tsoHost weren't going to be _that_
cheap anyway): with other things in life, that's the least of my
problems. (18-24 minutes of solicitor's time would certainly cover them
for a year!)

>I've just sent a few emails from each domain name to gmail and all seem ok.

That's the thing: they can seem OK for a while, then start bouncing.
(And stop, and start ...)

Though if you're using Krystal's outgoing mailservers anyway, and they
host your domain, all will be well, as they include their own servers in
the relevant record associated with your domain anyway. In my case, I
send using PlusNet's server(s), which I had to add. ["(s)" because IIRR
I had to add two.]

1. If it's green, it's biology
2. If it smells, it's chemistry
3. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<u5c7mb$34cnt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15653&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15653

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:02:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:EFEBFr3OMxmsFq/qLZ11k8zWEno=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 08:02 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <kdrr7hF35g5U1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 1 Jun 2023
> 16:19:13, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>> Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
>> Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
>> do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what
>> I needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my
>> tiny, elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found
>> a much simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see
>> if it's solved the problem.
>
> Yes: I was getting bounces. Not every email, but increasingly so. It's
> to do with them being wary of the "from" address, especially (I think)
> if the email is sent via a third-party mail relay. The solution people
> suggested was indeed complicated: it basically involves adding the name
> of the outgoing mail servers you use (in my case relay.plus.net) to a
> record associated with your domain (in my case 255soft.uk). Although
> complicated, I did eventually (with some help from my hosting provider,
> Krystal [who seem OK so far; I moved to them from tsoHost, mainly
> because the latter completely ceased telephone support]) implement the
> necessary change/addition, and so far it _does_ seem to have worked. [I
> can probably dig out what I had to do, but I suspect you'd have
> difficulty - not so much a tiny, elderly brain problem, as the one
> below.]
>
> I think what happens is: gmail receive an email "from" a certain domain,
> then interrogate _that domain_ to say "can your users send emails via
> this server?", and if not, they bounce them. Sometimes!
>
> [At least you _get_ the bounces (even though the reason given is
> bullshit - suggests the destination does not exist, or something like
> that), so you know they've happened; it'd be worse if the emails were
> just dumped.]
>
> Though in your case, I'm guessing you're using an outgoing mail server
> associated with hotmail.co.uk, and you won't be able to change settings
> there. Might be worth contacting their tech support if there is one -
> or, failing that, some user group [probably a forum these days )-:] to
> ask if other hotmail users have had problems emailing gmail folk (and if
> so, have they found a way round it).
>>
>> Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
>> sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
>> really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
>> address.
>> .
> Ditto. It's a pain logging into it - Chrome/gmail want to tie it to
> other things I have; since the whole reason for setting it up was to
> provide an independent backup, I don't _want_ them to do that, so have
> to log into it using an "incognito window".

On the other hand, maybe Gmail is interrogating all the servers and asking
for every address book they have access to. I do not like Gmail at all!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<64bj7i1qhi303rd3keebr2ssat7111e5ln@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15656&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15656

From: pete@never.here (Pete W)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 10:00:51 +0100
 by: Pete W - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 09:00 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:19:13 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
>Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
>do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what I
>needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my tiny,
>elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found a much
>simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see if it's
>solved the problem.
>
>Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
>sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
>really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
>address.

You don't give examples of the error messages you were getting.

My domains are hosted by INOIS (previously 1 and 1) and I was getting
the following when I tried to send to gmail addresses.

" SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host:
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com (108.177.119.27) reason: 550-5.7.26 This
message does not pass authentication checks (SPF and DKIM
both 550-5.7.26 do not pass). SPF check for [xxxx.co.uk] does not pass
with ip: 550-5.7.26 [212.227.126.133].To best protect our users from
spam, the message 550-5.7.26 has been blocked. Please visit
550-5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication
for
more 550 5.7.26 information.
p20-20020a170906229400b008d4c1cd3362si9393145eja.5 97 - gsmtp"

I contacted IONIS support who replied saying they had added
SPF and DKIM records to my domains and "touch wood" I've had no
problems sending to and receiving from gmail addresses.

---
Pete.

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<392fe7d0-055f-4637-9b1b-f966e6a5e03cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15658&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15658

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 02:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 09:45 UTC

On Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 4:19:16 PM UTC+1, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
> Gmail address? Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
> do the right thing the e-mails bounce back. I followed a link to what I
> needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my tiny,
> elderly brain could not cope. To-day I think I might have found a much
> simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see if it's
> solved the problem.
>
> Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
> sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
> really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
> address.
This may not be directly relevant but Google may well be making changes to gMail behind the scenes and clearly have plans for a big spring-cleaning of gMail accounts. Well... winter-cleaning, really:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/google-delete-inactive-accounts-starting-december-2023-05-16/

Nick

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<wB-cnTuDmZ_Za-T5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15666&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15666

Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:01:39 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 14:01 UTC

On 1.6.23 16:19, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Is anyrat else with a domain name having trouble sending e-mails to a
> Gmail address?  Google has done something so that unless I (and others)
> do the right thing the e-mails bounce back.  I followed a link to what I
> needed to do about it but it was so technical and complicated my tiny,
> elderly brain could not cope.  To-day I think I might have found a much
> simpler solution at Namesco but have to wait a day or 2 to see if it's
> solved the problem.
>
> Luckily I also have a gmail address so can e-mail my son or my
> sister-in-law that way if I need to but it's a boodly nuisance and I
> really don't want 99% of my mail going out from or coming in to that
> address.
> .

Yes I have been suffering. Gmail have added a verification step and it
is proving painful.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<xw5q0c6UIyekFw+5@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15677&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15677

Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 12:20:52 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 11:20 UTC

In message <392fe7d0-055f-4637-9b1b-f966e6a5e03cn@googlegroups.com> at
Fri, 2 Jun 2023 02:45:32, Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> writes
[]
>This may not be directly relevant but Google may well be making changes
>to gMail behind the scenes and clearly have plans for a big spring-
>cleaning of gMail accounts. Well... winter-cleaning, really:
>https://www.reuters.com/technology/google-delete-inactive-accounts-
>starting-december-2023-05-16/
>
>Nick

Looking at that, it seems reasonable to me: they're going to start
deleting accounts that have neither sent or received emails, or been
logged into, for two years, though they'll send multiple warning emails
- including to the backup address - first. Personal accounts only, not
those for organisations. Given that it's a free account, I can't really
see much bad about that.

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
[via Penny Mayes (mayes@pmail.net)]

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<5145e348-1917-4103-b782-448cdf481655n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15689&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15689

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 12:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 3 Jun 2023 19:01 UTC

On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 11:28:01 AM UTC, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <392fe7d0-055f-4637...@googlegroups.com> at
> Fri, 2 Jun 2023 02:45:32, Nick Odell <nick...@bigfoot.com> writes
> []
> >This may not be directly relevant but Google may well be making changes
> >to gMail behind the scenes and clearly have plans for a big spring-
> >cleaning of gMail accounts. Well... winter-cleaning, really:
> >https://www.reuters.com/technology/google-delete-inactive-accounts-
> >starting-december-2023-05-16/
> >
> >Nick
> Looking at that, it seems reasonable to me: they're going to start
> deleting accounts that have neither sent or received emails, or been
> logged into, for two years, though they'll send multiple warning emails
> - including to the backup address - first. Personal accounts only, not
> those for organisations. Given that it's a free account, I can't really
> see much bad about that.

I agree about the inactive accounts. As I said, it may not be directly relevant but I get the impression that Google seem to have fits of activity in one area of their activities, then move on to another then another. Just a little while ago Google Groups was receiving little "improvements" and now it is the turn of gMail. I wonder if, having created the new deletion policy they might have administered other little tweaks which might be affecting some users more than others?

Nick
nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15721&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15721

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7PFMsQRqD3wRzv18H8qJqDTQpRw=
 by: Chris - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:43 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 11:28:01 AM UTC, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <392fe7d0-055f-4637...@googlegroups.com> at
>> Fri, 2 Jun 2023 02:45:32, Nick Odell <nick...@bigfoot.com> writes
>> []
>>> This may not be directly relevant but Google may well be making changes
>>> to gMail behind the scenes and clearly have plans for a big spring-
>>> cleaning of gMail accounts. Well... winter-cleaning, really:
>>> https://www.reuters.com/technology/google-delete-inactive-accounts-
>>> starting-december-2023-05-16/
>>>
>>> Nick
>> Looking at that, it seems reasonable to me: they're going to start
>> deleting accounts that have neither sent or received emails, or been
>> logged into, for two years, though they'll send multiple warning emails
>> - including to the backup address - first. Personal accounts only, not
>> those for organisations. Given that it's a free account, I can't really
>> see much bad about that.
>
> I agree about the inactive accounts. As I said, it may not be directly
> relevant but I get the impression that Google seem to have fits of
> activity in one area of their activities, then move on to another then
> another. Just a little while ago Google Groups was receiving little
> "improvements" and now it is the turn of gMail. I wonder if, having
> created the new deletion policy they might have administered other little
> tweaks which might be affecting some users more than others?
>
> Nick
> nickodell49@yahoo.ca

I use a gmail a/c, no choice if one uses Google as a search engine snd set
topics up. Wasn’t always this way, years ago one could use one’s chosen
company but it serves me well enough since my ntl was chewed up. Don’t
like its email layout bur I’m a beggar …..

Mrs Mc

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<u5i863$jb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15724&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15724

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:47:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gc6SM1CfLEmm2/bScSSvImJCsbM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:47 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Nick Odell <nickodell@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 11:28:01 AM UTC, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <392fe7d0-055f-4637...@googlegroups.com> at
>>> Fri, 2 Jun 2023 02:45:32, Nick Odell <nick...@bigfoot.com> writes
>>> []

>>> Looking at that, it seems reasonable to me: they're going to start
>>> deleting accounts that have neither sent or received emails, or been
>>> logged into, for two years, though they'll send multiple warning emails
>>> - including to the backup address - first. Personal accounts only, not
>>> those for organisations. Given that it's a free account, I can't really
>>> see much bad about that.
>>
>> I agree about the inactive accounts. As I said, it may not be directly
>> relevant but I get the impression that Google seem to have fits of
>> activity in one area of their activities, then move on to another then
>> another. Just a little while ago Google Groups was receiving little
>> "improvements" and now it is the turn of gMail. I wonder if, having
>> created the new deletion policy they might have administered other little
>> tweaks which might be affecting some users more than others?
>>
>> Nick
>> nickodell49@yahoo.ca
>>

> I use a gmail a/c, no choice if one uses Google as a search engine snd set
> topics up. Wasn’t always this way, years ago one could use one’s chosen
> company but it serves me well enough since my ntl was chewed up. Don’t
> like its email layout bur I’m a beggar …..
>
> Mrs Mc

Or should that read ‘Ber I’m a b*gger???

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<p37cVocb9MfkFw1X@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15732&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15732

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:52:27 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:52 UTC

In message <u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me> at Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:43:26,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
[]
>I use a gmail a/c, no choice if one uses Google as a search engine snd set
>topics up. Wasn’t always this way, years ago one could use one’s chosen
>company but it serves me well enough since my ntl was chewed up. Don’t
>like its email layout bur I’m a beggar …..
>
>Mrs Mc

By "its email layout", I presume you mean the webmail interface. AIUI,
you _can_ use conventional clients with it, though you have to fiddle
with the settings occasionally: I'm pretty sure you can use Thunderbird,
for example, though not sure about Turnpike (that might need stunnel).

Today, I dare say more people know who starred as /The Vicar of Dibley/ than
know the name of the vicar of their local parish. - Clive Anderson, Radio
Times 15-21 January 2011.

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<45WcnSMMMZKMjOD5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15741&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15741

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 23:32:07 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 22:32 UTC

On 4.6.23 18:52, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you can use Thunderbird, for example,

I have a little used gmail account but it all feeds into Thunderbird - I
tend not to use any webmail.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<u5mo4p$m64n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15746&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15746

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 07:44:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Di9R6WrrxpDWsx80146MqDc35zk=
 by: Chris - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 07:44 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me> at Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:43:26,
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
> []
>> I use a gmail a/c, no choice if one uses Google as a search engine snd set
>> topics up. Wasn’t always this way, years ago one could use one’s chosen
>> company but it serves me well enough since my ntl was chewed up. Don’t
>> like its email layout bur I’m a beggar …..
>>
>> Mrs Mc
>
> By "its email layout", I presume you mean the webmail interface. AIUI,
> you _can_ use conventional clients with it, though you have to fiddle
> with the settings occasionally: I'm pretty sure you can use Thunderbird,
> for example, though not sure about Turnpike (that might need stunnel).

Not used T/pike for ever so long. Never did use T/bird. It’s just Gmail
on an iPhone.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<ke8p47F34k3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15748&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15748

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:03:03 +0100
 by: Kate B - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:03 UTC

On 06/06/2023 08:44, Chris wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me> at Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:43:26,
>> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
>> []
>>> I use a gmail a/c, no choice if one uses Google as a search engine snd set
>>> topics up. Wasn’t always this way, years ago one could use one’s chosen
>>> company but it serves me well enough since my ntl was chewed up. Don’t
>>> like its email layout bur I’m a beggar …..
>>>
>>> Mrs Mc
>>
>> By "its email layout", I presume you mean the webmail interface. AIUI,
>> you _can_ use conventional clients with it, though you have to fiddle
>> with the settings occasionally: I'm pretty sure you can use Thunderbird,
>> for example, though not sure about Turnpike (that might need stunnel).
>
> Not used T/pike for ever so long. Never did use T/bird. It’s just Gmail
> on an iPhone.
>
> Mrs McT

I miss Turnpike, but have got to grips with Tbird ok, except for its
annoying habit of 'losing' emails - they're there when you search for
them but don't always appear in the inbox, and sometimes some content
has gone in really old ones. Fortunately there are backups...

I have a catch-all Gmail email and forward most stuff to it as an extra
backup. I can send/reply from it under two or three 'cockaigne' aliases,
but its primary use is to keep tabs on things when away from the laptop.

--
Kate B

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<swudnVEBP9w10OL5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15751&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15751

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 16:15:51 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:15 UTC

On 6.6.23 14:03, Kate B wrote:
> they're there when you search for them but don't always appear in the inbox

IANAOU

Sometimes I put it down to my eyesight.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<keb9mgFh034U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15766&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15766

From: rtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:58:08 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:58 UTC

On 06/06/2023 16:15, krw wrote:
> On 6.6.23 14:03, Kate B wrote:
>> they're there when you search for them but don't always appear in the
>> inbox
>
> IANAOU
>
> Sometimes I put it down to my eyesight.

Have you archived them by accident ?

Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted them
in error.

I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going missing)
in 20+ years o using Gmail.

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<seadnaSt0pSn7h35nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15769&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15769

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:08:25 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
References: <kdrr7hF35g5U1@mid.individual.net> <392fe7d0-055f-4637-9b1b-f966e6a5e03cn@googlegroups.com> <xw5q0c6UIyekFw+5@255soft.uk> <5145e348-1917-4103-b782-448cdf481655n@googlegroups.com> <u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me> <p37cVocb9MfkFw1X@255soft.uk> <u5mo4p$m64n$1@dont-email.me> <ke8p47F34k3U1@mid.individual.net> <swudnVEBP9w10OL5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <keb9mgFh034U1@mid.individual.net>
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:08 UTC

On 7.6.23 12:58, BrritSki wrote:
> On 06/06/2023 16:15, krw wrote:
>> On 6.6.23 14:03, Kate B wrote:
>>> they're there when you search for them but don't always appear in the
>>> inbox
>>
>> IANAOU
>>
>> Sometimes I put it down to my eyesight.
>>
> Have you archived them by accident ?
>
> Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted them
> in error.
>
> I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going missing)
> in 20+ years o using Gmail.

Ah I was talking about Thunderbird. So we may be at cross purposes.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<kebdkmFf7cbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15771&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15771

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 14:05:29 +0100
 by: Kate B - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:05 UTC

On 07/06/2023 13:08, krw wrote:
> On 7.6.23 12:58, BrritSki wrote:
>>>
>>> IANAOU
>>>
>>> Sometimes I put it down to my eyesight.
>>>
>> Have you archived them by accident ?
>>
>> Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted
>> them in error.
>>
>> I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going
>> missing) in 20+ years o using Gmail.
>
> Ah I was talking about Thunderbird.  So we may be at cross purposes.

So was I.

--
Kate B

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<kec5cjFl7j9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15773&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15773

From: rtilburyTAKEAWAY@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 20:50:43 +0100
<u5i7ue$3vu3l$2@dont-email.me> <p37cVocb9MfkFw1X@255soft.uk>
<u5mo4p$m64n$1@dont-email.me> <ke8p47F34k3U1@mid.individual.net>
<swudnVEBP9w10OL5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<keb9mgFh034U1@mid.individual.net>
<seadnaSt0pSn7h35nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<kebdkmFf7cbU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: BrritSki - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 19:50 UTC

On 07/06/2023 14:05, Kate B wrote:
> On 07/06/2023 13:08, krw wrote:

>>> Have you archived them by accident ?
>>>
>>> Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted
>>> them in error.
>>>
>>> I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going
>>> missing) in 20+ years o using Gmail.
>>
>> Ah I was talking about Thunderbird.  So we may be at cross purposes.
>>

> So was I.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<V07gM.14$%6L8.13@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15774&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15774

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 22:55:01 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 21:55 UTC

On 07-Jun-23 13:08, krw wrote:
> On 7.6.23 12:58, BrritSki wrote:
>>>
>>> IANAOU
>>>
>>> Sometimes I put it down to my eyesight.
>>>
>> Have you archived them by accident ?
>>
>> Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted
>> them in error.
>>
>> I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going
>> missing) in 20+ years o using Gmail.
>
> Ah I was talking about Thunderbird.  So we may be at cross purposes.

Crossed Porpoises? I didn't know you were a submariner?

(Yes, I know the Royal Navy call those things on the badge 'Dolphins',
but still.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: S*dd*ng Gmail

<u5s03l$1f0i9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15781&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15781

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:31:01 -0000 (UTC)
<seadnaSt0pSn7h35nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<V07gM.14$%6L8.13@fx04.iad>
sha1:T0ALYifvlgpBDEUfq4rEIFLBbqc=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 8 Jun 2023 07:31 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 07-Jun-23 13:08, krw wrote:

>>> Have you archived them by accident ?
>>>
>>> Look in the ALL MAIL section as well as the BIN in case you deleted
>>> them in error.
>>>
>>> I have NEVER seen the behaviour you describe (or content going
>>> missing) in 20+ years o using Gmail.
>>
>> Ah I was talking about Thunderbird.  So we may be at cross purposes.
>
> Crossed Porpoises? I didn't know you were a submariner?
>
> (Yes, I know the Royal Navy call those things on the badge 'Dolphins',
> but still.)

From a distance that dolphin looks like a hare …. err… I don’t think I have
quite got the knack of this.

--