From: mike.swift@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: The end of an era
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:18:32 +0000
 by: Mike Swift - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:18 UTC

The end of an era, this and Turnpike are the only news groups I
subscribe to and both are devoid of TV posts these days.

My Berlin subs are due at the end of the month, they are only €10 but
what's the point as Usenet is dead in the water.

I've had some wonderful times posting and meeting ULY contributors over
the years but all good thing come to an end so it's,

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

Yorkshire Halvard Lange

Re: The end of an era

<sPYyowpNXR5lFwT1@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1593&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1593

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 00:29:01 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Subject: Re: The end of an era
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 00:29 UTC

In message <kl5McXAokO5lFwBg@ntlworld.com> at Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:18:32,
Mike Swift <mike.swift@yeton.co.uk> writes
>The end of an era, this and Turnpike are the only news groups I
>subscribe to and both are devoid of TV posts these days.

Why would the Turnpike 'group have TV posts?

(I find a fair number of TV posts in uk.tech.broadcast, though naturally
they tend to be of a technical nature. Initially!)

>My Berlin subs are due at the end of the month, they are only €10 but
>what's the point as Usenet is dead in the water.

I use eternal-september, though will switch to Berlin if E-S dies.

>I've had some wonderful times posting and meeting ULY contributors over

ULY? (I'm guessing, Yorkshire?) I take UMRA ...

>the years but all good thing come to an end so it's,
>
>Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

(whistles the spanner ...)

Old people today - they don't know they're born! They should stay where they
belong: on the main stage at Glastonbury. - The Now Show, 2015-7-10&11

Re: The end of an era

<usaqlq$l926$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1594&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1594

From: Ar@127.0.0.1 (Ar)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:28:10 +0000
 by: Ar - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:28 UTC

On 03/03/2024 21:18, Mike Swift wrote:
> The end of an era, this and Turnpike are the only news groups I
> subscribe to and both are devoid of TV posts these days.

I'm still here, what would you like to discuss, the crappy technical
quality of HD transmission inn UK, why other European countries have
most their stations in HD on terrestrial, but UK can barely manage a
handful on terrestrial, and keeps flogging the dead horse SD!? Why we
need so many TV shopping channels in the age of the internet?

Re: The end of an era

<PqA2PJABIR6lFwt4@ntlworld.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1595&group=uk.media.tv.misc#1595

From: mike.swift@yeton.co.uk (Mike Swift)
Newsgroups: uk.media.tv.misc
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:01:53 +0000
 by: Mike Swift - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 01:01 UTC

In article <usaqlq$l926$1@dont-email.me>, Ar <Ar@127.0.0.1> writes
>> The end of an era, this and Turnpike are the only news groups I
>> subscribe to and both are devoid of TV posts these days.
>
>I'm still here, what would you like to discuss, the crappy technical quality of
>HD transmission inn UK, why other European countries have most their
>stations in HD on terrestrial, but UK can barely manage a handful on
>terrestrial, and keeps flogging the dead horse SD!? Why we need so many
>TV shopping channels in the age of the internet?

I'm with Virgin Media and have a V6 box, I also have a Samsung Smart TV
with Freeeview via an aerial.
I've just counted my HD channels and I've got 111 with Virgin, not sure
about the Samsung, I've also got a couple of UHD, 3 if you count BBC
iPlayer.
The problem for me is not the number of HD channels but the number of
programmes on those channels which are worth watching.

Mike

Yorkshire Halvard Lange