When you are working hard, get up and retch every so often.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

SubjectAuthor
* Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceTheo
+* Re: Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceMark Carver
|`- Re: Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceDavid Wade
+* Re: Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceDavid Woolley
|`- Re: Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceTheo
`* Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voicetony sayer
 `- Re: Porting number out of BT Digital VoiceDavid Wade

1
Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<ZIy*iMVtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1488&group=uk.telecom#1488

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice
Date: 27 Oct 2023 17:32:35 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:32 UTC

Have successfully helped someone migrate from ADSL+PSTN to BT FTTC+VOIP.
I know that in the PSTN world, porting out a number from the PSTN would
cease the ADSL and terminate the contract (with early termination
charges etc).

Out of curiosity, on BT Digital Voice can you port out a number without
interfering with the broadband contract? Will it just cause a cease or
renumber of the VOIP, or does it still count as a contract termination
(and broadband cease)?

Theo

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<kq2fm1FtivlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1489&group=uk.telecom#1489

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:00:17 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:00 UTC

On 27/10/2023 17:32, Theo wrote:

> Out of curiosity, on BT Digital Voice can you port out a number without
> interfering with the broadband contract? Will it just cause a cease or
> renumber of the VOIP, or does it still count as a contract termination
> (and broadband cease)?

One interesting side effect of BT Digital Voice, is the associated phone
number ceases to work when looking up line details here:-

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Only one sure way to test you theory though !

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<uhh2qr$2dlo0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1490&group=uk.telecom#1490

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:25:15 +0100
 by: David Wade - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 19:25 UTC

On 27/10/2023 20:00, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 27/10/2023 17:32, Theo wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, on BT Digital Voice can you port out a number without
>> interfering with the broadband contract?  Will it just cause a cease or
>> renumber of the VOIP, or does it still count as a contract termination
>> (and broadband cease)?

You need to check. I suspect BT is locking customers in to its expensive
contract DigitalVoice, so if you chose a 24 month "broadband with
landline" contract I expect you have a single contract that you are
required to pay for both services for 24 months.

However the web site implies you have separate contracts, so you need to
know which you signed up for....

> One interesting side effect of BT Digital Voice, is the associated phone
> number ceases to work when looking up line details here:-
>
> https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
>
> Only one sure way to test you theory though !

BT say they will warn you if terminating one terminates the other.

Dave

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<uhh85u$2f7na$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1491&group=uk.telecom#1491

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:56:30 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Fri, 27 Oct 2023 20:56 UTC

On 27/10/2023 17:32, Theo wrote:
> Have successfully helped someone migrate from ADSL+PSTN to BT FTTC+VOIP.

Have you migrated to SOGEA (you probably wouldn't have a choice if done
after your local stop sell date)? SOGEA is not linked to a phone number.

I would think it would be a precondition for Digital Voice, but you
never know.

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<XIy*lsZtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1492&group=uk.telecom#1492

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 28 Oct 2023 10:19:41 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 09:19 UTC

David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> On 27/10/2023 17:32, Theo wrote:
> > Have successfully helped someone migrate from ADSL+PSTN to BT FTTC+VOIP.
>

> Have you migrated to SOGEA (you probably wouldn't have a choice if done
> after your local stop sell date)? SOGEA is not linked to a phone number.

I believe it is SOGEA, as there is no PSTN voice any more. So as far as
OR are concerned the voice doesn't touch their system.

However the question is if BT has imported any of the practice of tying
contracts to phone numbers, or whether you can just port out a number,
renumber the line and stay in your existing contract.

Theo

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<nhBqWvCdzPYlFw4O@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1596&group=uk.telecom#1596

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:43:25 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:43 UTC

In article <ZIy*iMVtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+news@chi
ark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus
>Have successfully helped someone migrate from ADSL+PSTN to BT FTTC+VOIP.
>I know that in the PSTN world, porting out a number from the PSTN would
>cease the ADSL and terminate the contract (with early termination
>charges etc).
>
>Out of curiosity, on BT Digital Voice can you port out a number without
>interfering with the broadband contract? Will it just cause a cease or
>renumber of the VOIP, or does it still count as a contract termination
>(and broadband cease)?
>
>Theo

Surely the broadband is simply a carrier for a data stream like any
other?...

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Porting number out of BT Digital Voice

<ujrdsp$2fbsb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1597&group=uk.telecom#1597

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 00:07:54 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 00:07 UTC

On 24/11/2023 19:43, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <ZIy*iMVtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo <theom+news@chi
> ark.greenend.org.uk> scribeth thus
>> Have successfully helped someone migrate from ADSL+PSTN to BT FTTC+VOIP.
>> I know that in the PSTN world, porting out a number from the PSTN would
>> cease the ADSL and terminate the contract (with early termination
>> charges etc).
>>
>> Out of curiosity, on BT Digital Voice can you port out a number without
>> interfering with the broadband contract? Will it just cause a cease or
>> renumber of the VOIP, or does it still count as a contract termination
>> (and broadband cease)?

If I have read the BT blurb correctly the contracts are separate and
you can migrate a number out of Digital Voice. However if you have
signed a new contract for DV then there may be termination charges...

>> Theo
>>

> Surely the broadband is simply a carrier for a data stream like any
> other?...

It depends on the contract. If you have signed up for both on one
contract...

Dave