From: email@domain.com (mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: macOS/iOS Reminders app
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 18:24:26 +0100
 by: mark - Sat, 20 May 2023 17:24 UTC

I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
to it. Not any more...

So, Reminders...

If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
(press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?

Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?

And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?

Cheers ... Mark

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4ku5g$2v76u$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16334&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16334

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 11:58:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:58 UTC

mark <email@domain.com> wrote:
> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
> to it. Not any more...
>
> So, Reminders...
>
> If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
> (press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
> on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
> options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
> I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?
>
> Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
> see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?
>
> And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
> reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?

I just use Calendars/Events making use of the Alerts option. It works well
enough across devices and Macs for my needs.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4njio$3fodu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16345&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16345

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 13:16:25 +0100
 by: Mark - Thu, 25 May 2023 12:16 UTC

On 2023-05-24 11:58:40 +0000, Alan B said:

> mark <email@domain.com> wrote:
>> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
>> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
>> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
>> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
>> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
>> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
>> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
>> to it. Not any more...
>>
>> So, Reminders...
>>
>> If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
>> (press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
>> on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
>> options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
>> I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?
>>
>> Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
>> see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?
>>
>> And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
>> reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?
>
> I just use Calendars/Events making use of the Alerts option. It works well
> enough across devices and Macs for my needs.

Unfortuanely I need (want) somehting a lot simpler, to set short notice
reminders as well as actual events (I use the calendar mainly for
work). Simple stiff like a reminder to pick up milk in an hour, or call
mum in two hours, or take the bins out on 45 min.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4r15b$2ijr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16369&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16369

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 19:26:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IOGVoPz3WR5jXwu9Fe5WZDGAgKc=
 by: Andy H - Fri, 26 May 2023 19:26 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> mark <email@domain.com> wrote:
>> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
>> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
>> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
>> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
>> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
>> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
>> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
>> to it. Not any more...
>>
>> So, Reminders...
>>
>> If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
>> (press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
>> on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
>> options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
>> I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?
>>
>> Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
>> see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?
>>
>> And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
>> reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?
>
> I just use Calendars/Events making use of the Alerts option. It works well
> enough across devices and Macs for my needs.

I do that too, as I’ve completely failed to find any point to the Reminders
app for most things, like events alerts, over what Calendar can do.

I suppose it depends on whether you use Calendar app, or whether you use
something else, or perhaps just don’t like it!

--
Andy H

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4r8b4$3fsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16370&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16370

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 22:29:08 +0100
 by: Mark - Fri, 26 May 2023 21:29 UTC

On 2023-05-26 19:26:35 +0000, Andy H said:

> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> mark <email@domain.com> wrote:
>>> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
>>> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
>>> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
>>> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
>>> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
>>> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
>>> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
>>> to it. Not any more...
>>>
>>> So, Reminders...
>>>
>>> If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
>>> (press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
>>> on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
>>> options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
>>> I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?
>>>
>>> Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
>>> see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?
>>>
>>> And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
>>> reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?
>>
>> I just use Calendars/Events making use of the Alerts option. It works well
>> enough across devices and Macs for my needs.
>
> I do that too, as I’ve completely failed to find any point to the Reminders
> app for most things, like events alerts, over what Calendar can do.
>
> I suppose it depends on whether you use Calendar app, or whether you use
> something else, or perhaps just don’t like it!

Reminders is far too 'busy' for me. May not seem it, but it is. I
mainly (though not solely) use it for short term reminders (same day or
a day or two in the future). Due is great, but using it via Siri is a
PITA.

I use the native Calendar as well. Not on the phone though. I need to
see colour-coded blocks (I have 8 colour-coded calendars) for upcoming
days/events so I use Calendars 5 on the iPhone. Syncs with Calendar and
gives me what I want (on desktop the native Calendar also shows these
blocks).
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4s2fu$ho47$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16374&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16374

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 06:55:26 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 27 May 2023 04:55 UTC

Am 26.05.23 um 21:26 schrieb Andy H:
> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> mark <email@domain.com> wrote:
>>> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
>>> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
>>> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
>>> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
>>> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
>>> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
>>> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
>>> to it. Not any more...
>>>
>>> So, Reminders...
>>>
>>> If I get a reminder, then delay it from the pop-up on my iPhone
>>> (press/hold & select "Remind Me in an Hour"), it often still shows up
>>> on my desktop asking me to select 'Complete' or one of the 'Later'
>>> options. Why? (Although sometimes it does disappear - seems to notice
>>> I've actioned it elsewhere). Can I simply select the 'Ignore' option?
>>>
>>> Also, from the Reminders app (desktop or phone) there's no way to
>>> see/select one of those same 'Later' options I get on the pop-ups?
>>>
>>> And... there's no way to see the new time if you reschedule the
>>> reminder - it only shows (in app) the original schedule time (in red)?
>>
>> I just use Calendars/Events making use of the Alerts option. It works well
>> enough across devices and Macs for my needs.
>
> I do that too, as I’ve completely failed to find any point to the Reminders
> app for most things, like events alerts, over what Calendar can do.
>
> I suppose it depends on whether you use Calendar app, or whether you use
> something else, or perhaps just don’t like it!

For me it is one of the least intuitive pieces of software. And it is
not very logic and it dictates a weird workflow. In addition it is
extremely ugly.

But: It is by far the most flexible and powerful reminder software I
ever found. I rely on it for very important things like my complicated
medication schedule and much much more.

Perhaps for most users the calendar app is the more suitable software
for the reminder management.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<4a0a5071-453a-b219-dfbd-d524c3ec6e46@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16380&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16380

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 13:14:56 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 27 May 2023 12:14 UTC

On 20/05/2023 18:24, mark wrote:
> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to add
> a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due' in
> your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a reminder
> without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted to it. Not
> any more...

Not sure if this helps but...

You can create a Shortcut where the action is to create a reminder; save
that shortcut under the name "create a reminder" and then you can say
"Hey Siri, create a reminder" and it will run the shortcut.

I created a test shortcut with just the "Add New Reminder" action (from
the Reminders app). The default reads "Add [Reminder] to [Reminders]
with [No Alert]".

Tap on [Reminder] and change to [Ask Each Time]. [Reminders] is the list
to which it will be added.

When you run the shortcut via Siri, Siri will ask for the reminder text
and you can dictate it.

If Due supports Shortcuts then you could invoke Due instead but via your
shortcut name which is more readily recognised by Siri.

Option B, is to write to the developer of Due and ask if they could add
an alternate app name for that is more easily recognised when spoken.
This Stack Overflow answer explains which API to use.

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13861093/can-you-teach-siri-how-to-recognize-the-name-of-your-app>

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: macOS/iOS Reminders app

<u4tem6$g6se$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16385&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16385

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 18:29:42 +0100
 by: Mark - Sat, 27 May 2023 17:29 UTC

On 2023-05-27 12:14:56 +0000, Bruce Horrocks said:

> On 20/05/2023 18:24, mark wrote:
>> I've (reluctantly) come back to iOS Reminders after using Due for a few
>> years. I like/liked Due because of its simplicity - it was/is just what
>> I want. Unfortunately a recent iOS update has removed the ability to
>> add a reminder via Siri (well, you CAN, but having to include 'in Due'
>> in your spoken commend is rarely successful). Previously, due(!) to a
>> glitch, if you removed Reminders from the phone you could set a
>> reminder without having to tell Siri to use Due - it simply defaulted
>> to it. Not any more...
>
> Not sure if this helps but...
>
> You can create a Shortcut where the action is to create a reminder;
> save that shortcut under the name "create a reminder" and then you can
> say "Hey Siri, create a reminder" and it will run the shortcut.
>
> I created a test shortcut with just the "Add New Reminder" action (from
> the Reminders app). The default reads "Add [Reminder] to [Reminders]
> with [No Alert]".
>
> Tap on [Reminder] and change to [Ask Each Time]. [Reminders] is the
> list to which it will be added.
>
> When you run the shortcut via Siri, Siri will ask for the reminder text
> and you can dictate it.
>
> If Due supports Shortcuts then you could invoke Due instead but via
> your shortcut name which is more readily recognised by Siri.
>

> Option B, is to write to the developer of Due and ask if they could add
> an alternate app name for that is more easily recognised when spoken.
> This Stack Overflow answer explains which API to use.
>
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13861093/can-you-teach-siri-how-to-recognize-the-name-of-your-app>

Thanks for the suggestions. I did wonder about using Siri. I haven't
used Shortcuts before so was a little wary of them. There is a Due
reminder in Shortcuts but I wasn't sure how to go about it.

In the meantime I've been playing around with different commends. It
seems that starting a commend "Hey Siri, using Due..." works pretty
well.
--
Cheers ... Mark

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / macOS/iOS Reminders app