Should I do my BOBBIE VINTON medley?

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Bikes in the states.

SubjectAuthor
* Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer
+- Bikes in the states.chrisnd @ukrm
+* Bikes in the states.Mark Olson
|`* Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer
| +- Bikes in the states.Mark Olson
| `- Bikes in the states.Champ
+* Bikes in the states.Ben Blaney
|+- Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer
|`* Bikes in the states.Champ
| `* Bikes in the states.Ben Blaney
|  +- Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer
|  +- Bikes in the states.wessie
|  +- Bikes in the states.Mark Olson
|  `- Bikes in the states.Champ
+* Bikes in the states.Mike Fleming
|+- Bikes in the states.wessie
|`* Bikes in the states.Mark Olson
| `- Bikes in the states.Mark Olson
+* Bikes in the states.Champ
|+* Bikes in the states.Eddie
||`* Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer
|| `* Bikes in the states.chrisnd @ukrm
||  `- Bikes in the states.RustyHinge
|`- Bikes in the states.geoffC
`* Bikes in the states.Turby
 `- Bikes in the states.Stephen Packer

Pages:12
Bikes in the states.

<250afbd4-b993-4660-ab98-989433bd74ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16307&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16307

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 06:07:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bikes in the states.
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 18 May 2023 13:07 UTC

I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.

I guess I've got three options:
1) Ship a bike over.
2) Hire a bike.
3) Buy and Sell.

I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)

2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).

3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).

I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title transferred.

I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for the trip.

Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?

Re: Bikes in the states.

<kcmn9oFcib8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16309&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16309

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Bikes in the states.
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 14:25:12 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Thu, 18 May 2023 13:25 UTC

On 18/05/2023 14:07, Stephen Packer wrote:
> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
> I guess I've got three options:
> 1) Ship a bike over.
> 2) Hire a bike.
> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)
>
> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).
>
> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).
>
> I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title transferred.
>
> I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for the trip.
>

> Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?

Some friends decided to tour the US a couple of years back. They found
the best way was to ship the bike over to *Canada* from whence it was
much easier to ride into the USofA. I think they could then easily come
back direct - its all to do with customs or summat?

HTH, Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u45crn$9sip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16311&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16311

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 14:31:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 18 May 2023 14:31 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
> I guess I've got three options:
> 1) Ship a bike over.
> 2) Hire a bike.
> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC
> when you need him?)
>
> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes
> I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't
> think I want to return).
>
> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see
> buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around
> insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in
> a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use
> his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).
>
> I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it
> seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title
> transferred.

I'm assuming you've checked out HUBB, but if not:

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-ready/shipping-the-bike#AirSea

If you have someone like your friend (or me) who you trust, I don't
think it would be necessary to register the bike in your name. Let
your friend buy the bike and register it in his name, I'm fairly sure
that it's perfectly legal for him to lend it to you for the duration
of your tour. I believe most insurance policies allow for a friend
to borrow a bike, but of course the devil's in the details. If I
have time later today I will dig out my motorcycle policy document
to check the exact details on CIHAGM coverage.

> I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for
> the trip.
>

> Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?

I've not done it, but I'd be interested in doing the opposite direction
(USA->UK). I'll also be glad to help in any way I can to facilitate
your trip. If I can get my GL1000 put back together by next year,
I could probably be talked into lending it out... again, assuming
insurance can be arranged.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFg4bM1hfABxzAAm8

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Bikes in the states.

<75cc451b-b6f5-4b06-b1a9-f750d838f2ddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16312&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16312

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: benblaney@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Thu, 18 May 2023 14:38 UTC

On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 9:07:10 AM UTC-4, Stephen Packer wrote:
> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.

I'll do it with you. Have been scoping it out for a while. I even bought a book about all the possible routes. I favour Ocean City, MD to San Francisco, CA.

> I guess I've got three options:
> 1) Ship a bike over.
> 2) Hire a bike.
> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)

Do-able, but expensive. Think when I shipped my 400f one-way RoRo it was the best part of $2k. Then you gotta insure it (red tape, I imagine), and ship it back.

> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).

Agreed.

> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).
>
> I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title transferred.

I have another friend who has batted this idea around. Easiest solution is for me to buy the bike (with your money), take title, and insure it. You use it for the ride, and I'll sell it when you fly home (and send you the money).

Re: Bikes in the states.

<kcn16uFe2dkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16318&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16318

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 17:14:21 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:14 UTC

On 18/05/2023 14:07, Stephen Packer wrote:
> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
> I guess I've got three options:
> 1) Ship a bike over.
> 2) Hire a bike.
> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)
>
> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).
>
> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).

I'm asking this from a position of complete ignorance - is there likely
to be a problem with buying a bike in one state and selling it in
another, especially if one of those states is California?

Re: Bikes in the states.

<XnsB008B5313B73Dwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16319&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16319

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 16:48:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:48 UTC

Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in

> On 18/05/2023 14:07, Stephen Packer wrote:
>> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US
>> next year.
>>
>> I guess I've got three options:
>> 1) Ship a bike over.
>> 2) Hire a bike.
>> 3) Buy and Sell.
>>
>> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC
>> when you need him?)
>>
>> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I
>> probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't
>> think I want to return).
>>
>> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see
>> buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around
>> insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in
>> a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use
>> his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip
>> starts).
>
> I'm asking this from a position of complete ignorance - is there
> likely to be a problem with buying a bike in one state and selling it
> in another, especially if one of those states is California?

he says west to east starting in NW, so I doubt it

going the other way and ending in Ca might be different

Re: Bikes in the states.

<fc8aac78-d339-4fea-9194-aeebd500625an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16324&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16324

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 11:04:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 18 May 2023 18:04 UTC

On Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 15:38:07 UTC+1, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 9:07:10 AM UTC-4, Stephen Packer wrote:
> > I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
> I'll do it with you. Have been scoping it out for a while. I even bought a book about all the possible routes. I favour Ocean City, MD to San Francisco, CA.
<snip>

Let's take this to email.

I like to be focussed on boring people on the NG rather than doing it as a by-product of correspondence.

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u45qer$bei4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16326&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16326

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:23:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 18 May 2023 18:23 UTC

Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm asking this from a position of complete ignorance - is there likely
> to be a problem with buying a bike in one state and selling it in
> another, especially if one of those states is California?

As wessie pointed out, not likely to be a problem in this instance.

California is somewhat unusual as it is rather picky about people
registering bikes bought in other states if they are not compliant with
California's emissions standards (known as "49 state compliant") and
they have less than 7500 miles on them. This restriction is to prevent
people bypassing their emissions regulations by bringing new bikes
in from other states. A "50 state compliant" bike bought in another
state can be registered in California no matter what the mileage.

All AFAIK, do your own research, etc.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u45r3j$bidd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16327&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16327

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 18 May 2023 18:34 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
> Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm asking this from a position of complete ignorance - is there likely
>> to be a problem with buying a bike in one state and selling it in
>> another, especially if one of those states is California?
>
> As wessie pointed out, not likely to be a problem in this instance.
>
> California is somewhat unusual as it is rather picky about people
> registering bikes bought in other states if they are not compliant with
> California's emissions standards (known as "49 state compliant") and
> they have less than 7500 miles on them. This restriction is to prevent
> people bypassing their emissions regulations by bringing new bikes
> in from other states. A "50 state compliant" bike bought in another
> state can be registered in California no matter what the mileage.
>
> All AFAIK, do your own research, etc.

Also, turn around time from a UKRMer registering the bike, to
receiving the title certificate so it can be sold again, might be
an issue. Depending on the state, turnaround times can be up to
six weeks, possibly more (New Jersey says 8-12 weeks). My county
registrar's offices offer an expedited "Fast Track" registration of
approximately 7-10 business days.

https://www.anokacountymn.gov/1370/Fast-Track#:~:text=The%20State%20of%20Minnesota%20typically,vehicle%20insurance%2C%20among%20other%20things.

What is the Normal Processing Time for a Title?

The State of Minnesota typically issues a Minnesota Title in four
to six weeks. This time frame is acceptable to the vast majority
of people and most people do not need to expedite a title. Proof of
ownership is issued at the time of transfer which is acceptable for
obtaining vehicle insurance, among other things.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Bikes in the states.

<p6me6ihb0k1a2rcrd8opfmeouoisjhjp39@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16336&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16336

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:11:20 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:11 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 06:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
>I guess I've got three options:
>1) Ship a bike over.
>2) Hire a bike.
>3) Buy and Sell.

<snip>

>Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?

My experience is so old it's worthless. But when I went to Australia
in Oct 1989, I bought a bike (FJ100), and sold it before I returned
(Mar 1990). But
- I was there a long time (I guess your trip will be shorter?)
- I literally cannot remember anything about local legalities! I'm
pretty sure I insured it, but otherwise... :-)
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Bikes in the states.

<kdme6i5765q02j82lu8pr62ag6uelci3bq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16337&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16337

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:13:26 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:13 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
<benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 9:07:10?AM UTC-4, Stephen Packer wrote:
>> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
>I'll do it with you.

<polite cough, raise hand>
er, any room for any more?
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Bikes in the states.

<27fd9e0a-aaa2-45b6-a586-d66cea56f067n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16339&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16339

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:29:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: benblaney@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:29 UTC

On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 7:14:47 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
> <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday, May 18, 2023 at 9:07:10?AM UTC-4, Stephen Packer wrote:
> >> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
> >
> >I'll do it with you.
> <polite cough, raise hand>
> er, any room for any more?

The more the merrier! Quite eager to see you on some boring touring bike with built-in hard luggage. So un-Champ.

Re: Bikes in the states.

<7e301b3d-58da-4aac-998a-a3d167e5d813n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16340&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16340

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 04:52:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Fri, 19 May 2023 11:52 UTC

On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 12:29:37 UTC+1, Ben Blaney wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 7:14:47 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
> > <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I'll do it with you.
> > <polite cough, raise hand>
> > er, any room for any more?
> The more the merrier! Quite eager to see you on some boring touring bike with built-in hard luggage. So un-Champ.

What about the no-cunts rule?

And, I think Champ's had a K1000RS as a commuter when he worked for Sky IIRC.

Re: Bikes in the states.

<XnsB0098A9091069wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16341&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16341

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 12:37:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 19 May 2023 12:37 UTC

Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 7:14:47 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
>> <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> t year.
>> >
>> >I'll do it with you.
>> <polite cough, raise hand>
>> er, any room for any more?
>
> The more the merrier! Quite eager to see you on some boring touring
> bike with built-in hard luggage. So un-Champ.

you need to set shaft drive as a criterion for such a trip

maybe he would feel less old on a BMW R1200RS or Yamaha FJR1300?

perhaps you should acquire a fleet of these?

Re: Bikes in the states.

<kcp94vFn3ntU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16342&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16342

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 13:42:07 +0100
 by: Eddie - Fri, 19 May 2023 12:42 UTC

On 19/05/2023 12:11, Champ wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 06:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
> <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>>
>> I guess I've got three options:
>> 1) Ship a bike over.
>> 2) Hire a bike.
>> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?
>
> My experience is so old it's worthless. But when I went to Australia
> in Oct 1989, I bought a bike (FJ100), and sold it before I returned
> (Mar 1990). But
> - I was there a long time (I guess your trip will be shorter?)
> - I literally cannot remember anything about local legalities! I'm
> pretty sure I insured it, but otherwise... :-)

- You were in a different country, YTC

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Bikes in the states.

<80df5406-2e6c-4362-a4f2-ceafdc96a6a2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16343&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16343

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 06:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:45 UTC

On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 13:43:57 UTC+1, Eddie wrote:
> On 19/05/2023 12:11, Champ wrote:
<snip>
> > My experience is so old it's worthless. But when I went to Australia
> > in Oct 1989, I bought a bike (FJ100), and sold it before I returned
> > (Mar 1990). But
> > - I was there a long time (I guess your trip will be shorter?)
> > - I literally cannot remember anything about local legalities! I'm
> > pretty sure I insured it, but otherwise... :-)
> - You were in a different country, YTC

He's had a bump on the head, you know.

Re: Bikes in the states.

<kcpgb3FpccrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16344&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16344

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 15:44:51 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Fri, 19 May 2023 14:44 UTC

On 19/05/2023 14:45, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 13:43:57 UTC+1, Eddie wrote:
>> On 19/05/2023 12:11, Champ wrote:
> <snip>
>>> My experience is so old it's worthless. But when I went to Australia
>>> in Oct 1989, I bought a bike (FJ100), and sold it before I returned
>>> (Mar 1990). But
>>> - I was there a long time (I guess your trip will be shorter?)
>>> - I literally cannot remember anything about local legalities! I'm
>>> pretty sure I insured it, but otherwise... :-)
>> - You were in a different country, YTC
>
> He's had a bump on the head, you know.

Hasn't everybody?

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u485nl$ncg1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16345&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16345

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 16:48:09 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 19 May 2023 15:48 UTC

On 19/05/2023 15:44, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:
> On 19/05/2023 14:45, Stephen Packer wrote:
>> On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 13:43:57 UTC+1, Eddie wrote:
>>> On 19/05/2023 12:11, Champ wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> - You were in a different country, YTC
>>
>> He's had a bump on the head, you know.
>
> Hasn't everybody?

Dunno about everybody, but I certainly have, before skid-lids were
mandatory.

I had one (Stadium Project 4) nonetheless. nad only got a hairline
fracture of the skull after head-butting a tree.

*Some* laws are obviously sensible as well as paternalistic.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u48ho2$oo8j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16350&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16350

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 19:13:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Fri, 19 May 2023 19:13 UTC

Ben Blaney <benblaney@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, May 19, 2023 at 7:14:47 AM UTC-4, Champ wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 May 2023 07:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaney
>> <benb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >I'll do it with you.
>> <polite cough, raise hand>
>> er, any room for any more?
>
> The more the merrier! Quite eager to see you on some boring touring bike with built-in hard luggage. So un-Champ.

<Raises hand>

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Bikes in the states.

<e6f7244e-8819-4743-88cc-c93c9ea292d1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16351&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16351

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 13:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Fri, 19 May 2023 20:03 UTC

On Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 15:33:33 UTC+1, Mark Olson wrote:
<snip>

> If you have someone like your friend (or me) who you trust, I don't
> think it would be necessary to register the bike in your name. Let
> your friend buy the bike and register it in his name, I'm fairly sure
> that it's perfectly legal for him to lend it to you for the duration
> of your tour. I believe most insurance policies allow for a friend
> to borrow a bike, but of course the devil's in the details. If I
> have time later today I will dig out my motorcycle policy document
> to check the exact details on CIHAGM coverage.

Thanks. I've been corresponding with Ben off-group[1] and there's the
bones of an idea (with an absence of dates at the moment...)

> > I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for
> > the trip.
> >

> > Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?
> I've not done it, but I'd be interested in doing the opposite direction
> (USA->UK). I'll also be glad to help in any way I can to facilitate
> your trip. If I can get my GL1000 put back together by next year,
> I could probably be talked into lending it out... again, assuming
> insurance can be arranged.

Again, thanks but I think I'd rather buy something, or fund someone
else to buy something IYSWIM since I suspect I'll end up doing a bit
more than coast-to-coast and would rather wear out a bike I sort-of
own. Am half wondering if a dealership would be likely to sell a bike
and then buy it back a few weeks and 10k miles later.

On the UK thing, if you're here in the summer I've got an R1100RT that's
a bit tatty (since I only really use it in the winter) but basically sound
which you're welcome to use on a you bend it, you mend it basis; insurance
would be your issue but I'm sure it's not that difficult to solve.

[1] There is no clique.

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u48mmr$pdn9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16352&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16352

From: me@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:37:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Fri, 19 May 2023 20:37 UTC

On 19/05/2023 13:11, Champ wrote:
>On Thu, 18 May 2023 06:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
><stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>>
>>I guess I've got three options:
>>1) Ship a bike over.
>>2) Hire a bike.
>>3) Buy and Sell.
>
><snip>
>
>>Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?
>
>My experience is so old it's worthless. But when I went to Australia
>in Oct 1989, I bought a bike (FJ100), and sold it before I returned
>(Mar 1990). But
>- I was there a long time (I guess your trip will be shorter?)
>- I literally cannot remember anything about local legalities! I'm
>pretty sure I insured it, but otherwise... :-)

I did the same in 1992, Insurance is included in the registration fee.

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u48oam$pkto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16353&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16353

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 21:05:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Fri, 19 May 2023 21:05 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

[snipperoo]

> On Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 15:33:33 UTC+1, Mark Olson wrote:
>> your trip. If I can get my GL1000 put back together by next year,
>> I could probably be talked into lending it out... again, assuming
>> insurance can be arranged.
>
> Again, thanks but I think I'd rather buy something, or fund someone
> else to buy something IYSWIM since I suspect I'll end up doing a bit
> more than coast-to-coast and would rather wear out a bike I sort-of
> own. Am half wondering if a dealership would be likely to sell a bike
> and then buy it back a few weeks and 10k miles later.

Understood. The offer still stands anyway[1].

I think most dealers are willing to buy something that's not in need
of much other than freshening up, given that demand is still outpacing
supply if prices are anything to go by. Not that I'd expect to get
anything close to the price you origianlly paid, but it has to be
more economical overall than renting.

> On the UK thing, if you're here in the summer I've got an R1100RT that's
> a bit tatty (since I only really use it in the winter) but basically sound
> which you're welcome to use on a you bend it, you mend it basis; insurance
> would be your issue but I'm sure it's not that difficult to solve.

Your generous offer is appreciated.

[1] The no cunts rule applies, naturally.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Bikes in the states.

<u49g3q$vk1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16356&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16356

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 20:51:23 -0700
 by: Turby - Sat, 20 May 2023 03:51 UTC

On 5/18/2023 6:07 AM, Stephen Packer wrote:
> I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
>
> I guess I've got three options:
> 1) Ship a bike over.
> 2) Hire a bike.
> 3) Buy and Sell.
>
> I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)
>
> 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).
>
> 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).
>
> I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title transferred.
>
> I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for the trip.
>

> Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?

Yeah, I've done a fair bit of touring in the American West. It has some
spectacular scenery. When are you planning on coming? And how long will
you stay?

Some sites I think you shouldn't miss:
the west coast (at least some of Hiway 1 & 101 from Point Conception to
Eureka)
San Francisco
Yosemite
Las Vegas
the Grand Canyon
the National Parks in southern Utah
the Colorado Rockies

There are a lot of fun roads connecting them.

I have a BMW R1200GS I got from a friend who rode it to Ushuaia,
Argentina and back. Unfortunately, it has an electrical fault and isn't
running now, but if I can get off my ass, it will again. It is very
tall, even for me (6'4"). I might be convinced to let it go.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Bikes in the states.

<684698bf-6d77-4695-992c-60334a1d5053n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16362&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16362

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 03:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 20 May 2023 10:35 UTC

On Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 04:52:30 UTC+1, Turby wrote:
> On 5/18/2023 6:07 AM, Stephen Packer wrote:
> > I'm idly thinking about doing Pacific to Atlantic coasts in the US next year.
> >
> > I guess I've got three options:
> > 1) Ship a bike over.
> > 2) Hire a bike.
> > 3) Buy and Sell.
> >
> > I think '1' is going to be a world of pain. Possibly (where's YTC when you need him?)
> >
> > 2 is going to be expensive and I suspect also biased towards bikes I probably don't want to ride (Harleys- been there done that, don't think I want to return).
> >
> > 3 is possibly what I'd want to do; but is it that easy? I can see buying it is possibly not *that* difficult, but all the hassle around insuring it and any other legalities? I guess I'm not going to be in a hurry and I've got a friend in Oregon who I'm sure would let me use his address for registration (and it's possibly where my trip starts).
> >
> > I've read a little about it on some of the touring sites and it seems doable but it talks about going to the DMV to get the title transferred.
> >
> > I think I'd probably be looking at a BMW R1200RT or similar for the trip.
> >

> > Anyone got any experience of doing this and have any tips?
> Yeah, I've done a fair bit of touring in the American West. It has some
> spectacular scenery. When are you planning on coming? And how long will
> you stay?

Dates are a bit TBC because I'm trying to tie it in with a celebration of a group of us
making it to 60, but I suspect it's around the middle of the year ish.

Current plan is to buy a bike on the east coast, ride it to the west coast with Ben and
possibly some others. Then I'll head up to Oregon to see my friends, probably continue
North to the Canadian border via Seattle (which was a city I used to enjoy visiting
when someone else was picking up the tab...) Maybe even go to Vancouver for old
time's sake (another business destination) and possibly across to Calgary where I've
an old uncle that might get a visit.

Then south again and probably down to (but not across) the Mexican border.
I've ridden LA (Santa Monica) to SanFrancisco in the past but it was on a hired Harley
so I'd like to do it on a motorbike this time.

And I guess then North again back to the east coast where I'll (probably) fly out from.

How long, well I suspect I'll start planning and it'll stretch but I had thought about a month
but now I'm wondering about whether six weeks wouldn't be better...

> Some sites I think you shouldn't miss:
> the west coast (at least some of Hiway 1 & 101 from Point Conception to
> Eureka)
> San Francisco
> Yosemite
> Las Vegas
> the Grand Canyon
> the National Parks in southern Utah
> the Colorado Rockies
>
> There are a lot of fun roads connecting them.

Thanks for the list. I've done parts of most of those in cars and some on a bike.
And would certainly like to revisit a lot of them.

> I have a BMW R1200GS I got from a friend who rode it to Ushuaia,
> Argentina and back. Unfortunately, it has an electrical fault and isn't
> running now, but if I can get off my ass, it will again. It is very
> tall, even for me (6'4"). I might be convinced to let it go.

I'm a midget[1] so it's *way* too tall for me and I think I'm increasing sold
on either a late R1200RT (because I know them, have one and like it and I'm
sure it would be great for this trip[2]) or a K1600GT because I haven't ridden one
and I think it would be a good idea to tie myself to an unknown leviathan
of a bike on unfamiliar roads... But... 6 cylinder engine with lots of power
in a touring frame, what could possibly go wrong[3][4]?

[1] I'd have claimed 5'10 once but I think that anyone that *is* 5'10" probably
claims to be 6'. So 5'10" was probably 5'9"; I really don't know. What I do know
is back in the days when the company insisted I had medicals, over five years I
lost a cm or so of height. My legs are too short for tall bikes so the R1100GS
is just about as much as I can cope with...

[2] Comfortable. Not water cooled (paranoid about holed radiators). Light
enough, adequate power, handles and stops well. Good carrying capacity.
All the toys: ABS, Cruise Control, suspension (if I get the right version)

[3] Prace bets now.

[4] Free the South West one!

Re: Bikes in the states.

<n4be7ilv6daqfgkoh7b9qe3gppqeu9fiij@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16414&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16414

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:17:01 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 31 May 2023 11:17 UTC

On Fri, 19 May 2023 13:03:17 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>Am half wondering if a dealership would be likely to sell a bike
>and then buy it back a few weeks and 10k miles later.

That's exactly what I did in Oz, but over 5 months