Smoking is the leading cause of statistics.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

SubjectAuthor
* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Kerr-Mudd, John
+* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?vickiebee
|`* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Fran
| `* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Turby
|  `* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?vickiebee
|   `- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?RustyHinge
+* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?RustyHinge
|`* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Fran
| +* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?chrisnd @ukrm
| |+* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Mike Fleming
| ||`- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar? - CROSSPOSTBoots
| |`* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?siwilson
| | +- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Stephen Packer
| | `- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?chrisnd @ukrm
| `* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?RustyHinge
|  +* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Fran
|  |+* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?RustyHinge
|  ||`* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Fran
|  || `- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Pipl
|  |`- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?ogden
|  `- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?chrisnd @ukrm
`* Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?Fran
 `- Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?RustyHinge

1
Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<20230523070204.76365281c1be24775b694cb0@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16368&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16368

From: admin@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 07:02:04 +0100
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Tue, 23 May 2023 06:02 UTC

On Tue, 23 May 2023 09:39:15 +1000
Fran <gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com>
wrote:

> On 22/05/2023 10:47 pm, Bob Henson wrote:
> >>
> >> :-)))  I'll bet you pounds to peanuts that the females who post here
> >> already know that poem.
> >>
> >> I know I first read it several decades ago.
> >>
> >> I suspect that I shouldn't encourage you too much,
> >>
> >> I suspect there are several male bikers groups that would fit the bill.
> >> Old blokes who look and dress normally but for special occasions, ride
> >> Harleys, wear leather and sport do rags.
> >>
> >> And given the price of Harleys, it's only rich, old, well heeled blokes
> >> who can afford them (or drug dealers).

> > Sadly, the pension won't run to a Harley - and if it did it would have
> > to be a three wheel job, although I doubt I could get onto that without
> > lifting gear.
> >
> > https://tinyurl.com/2gvw8yn3
>
> I don't like Harleys and think only twits ride them so IMO, you've
> preserved your reputation by not buying one ;-)
> >
> > I've got an electric mobility scooter, with the name stickers changed by
> > my son to authentic "Triumph" motorbike stickers - he said his father
> > was NOT going out driving a scooter labelled "Dream Shopper." It went
> > down very well with the staff in the National Motor Museum's Triumph
> > bike room, anyway.
>
> LOL. I'm with your son. I see a fully enclosed one here in my town
> quite often. It looks like a tiny, white, high centre of gravity, car.
> I keep telling himself that when it comes time for me to need one of
> those, I want one just like it but in baby pink. It gets along at a
> really good clip.
> >
> > However, even wearing one of my leather jackets, I don't think a gang of
> > us on those would put the fear of God into anyone when we rolled up
> > outside a café for afternoon tea and sticky buns. Putting our Blue
> > Badges out for free parking would put the cap on it, I reckon.
> > "Orthopaedics Angels" does not have the appropriate ring to it either.
> > Ah well, back to the drawing board.
>

> I dunno. A bunch of grumpy old farts is a pretty scary thought to many
> people.

I've been tempted to Xpost this for a while.

Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4i5h4$2h836$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16369&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16369

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 05:45:54 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Tue, 23 May 2023 10:45 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
[..]>

> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E

~~~
Thanks, yes, they are silly, but I still miss Monty Python something fierce.

v - so old that I remember going a whole day without taking a picture of
anything.
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4jg1m$2n523$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16370&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16370

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:51:33 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 23 May 2023 22:51 UTC

On 23/05/2023 07:02, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 09:39:15 +1000
> Fran <gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com>
> wrote:

You've forgotten the most salient of points: lacking in aesthetic taste.
They *may* be well-engineered, but to what purpose? To create a bloated
overpowered mechanical armchair, tasteless in every way.

>>> Sadly, the pension won't run to a Harley - and if it did it would have
>>> to be a three wheel job, although I doubt I could get onto that without
>>> lifting gear.

>>> https://tinyurl.com/2gvw8yn3

A misguided Occupational terrorist wanted me to dispose of an excellent
and well-made wingback armchair, one of a suite, as well as some other
'unnecessary' stuff (including the following) Garrard 401 motor unit on
my glass plinth (http://www.girolle.co.uk) with Hadcock Unipivot SE tone
arm with van den Hul silver wiring and Cartridge Man Music-Maker II
pickup with diamond stylus, Sony stereo 'tape corder', Shan Ling CD
player, Matching Ferrograph 60+60 amp and FM tuner, two of Tandberg
cassette recorders and a pair of Leak Sandwich Speakers (the big ones,
with 13" woofers, not the ickle ones - all to make room for a *VAST*
hoist to get me into the wheelchair.

I told him I wasn't having it in the house, and now use a banana board
instead, which I can use unaided and takes up no room at all
(comparatively), whereas the hoist takes two people to operate
(properly) and the rest. EG, to get into the kitchen once enthroned in
wheelchair, the hoist would have to block access to the front door,
require 2 of carers to wait for me to do 'whatever' in the kitchen (this
may take a little time, folks) before returning to the single remaining
chair or bed, and the return of a pile of mechanical junk to the denuded
corner - until, if in chair, requiring the rigmarole* in reverse...

* Suggestion from spielcheque - 'oleomargarine'!

>> I don't like Harleys and think only twits ride them so IMO, you've
>> preserved your reputation by not buying one ;-)
>>>
>>> I've got an electric mobility scooter, with the name stickers changed by
>>> my son to authentic "Triumph" motorbike stickers - he said his father
>>> was NOT going out driving a scooter labelled "Dream Shopper." It went
>>> down very well with the staff in the National Motor Museum's Triumph
>>> bike room, anyway.
>>
>> LOL. I'm with your son. I see a fully enclosed one here in my town
>> quite often. It looks like a tiny, white, high centre of gravity, car.
>> I keep telling himself that when it comes time for me to need one of
>> those, I want one just like it but in baby pink. It gets along at a
>> really good clip.
>>>
>>> However, even wearing one of my leather jackets, I don't think a gang of
>>> us on those would put the fear of God into anyone when we rolled up
>>> outside a café for afternoon tea and sticky buns. Putting our Blue
>>> Badges out for free parking would put the cap on it, I reckon.
>>> "Orthopaedics Angels" does not have the appropriate ring to it either.
>>> Ah well, back to the drawing board.

>> I dunno. A bunch of grumpy old farts is a pretty scary thought to many
>> people.
>>

> I've been tempted to Xpost this for a while.
>
> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E
Should turn-up on brrrrm-brrrrmstyx innit

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4jj1d$2ndkp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16371&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16371

From: gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:42:37 +1000
 by: Fran - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:42 UTC

On 23/05/2023 4:02 pm, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2023 09:39:15 +1000
> Fran <gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com>
> wrote:

>>> Sadly, the pension won't run to a Harley - and if it did it would have
>>> to be a three wheel job, although I doubt I could get onto that without
>>> lifting gear.
>>>
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2gvw8yn3
>>
>> I don't like Harleys and think only twits ride them so IMO, you've
>> preserved your reputation by not buying one ;-)
>>>
>>> I've got an electric mobility scooter, with the name stickers changed by
>>> my son to authentic "Triumph" motorbike stickers - he said his father
>>> was NOT going out driving a scooter labelled "Dream Shopper." It went
>>> down very well with the staff in the National Motor Museum's Triumph
>>> bike room, anyway.
>>
>> LOL. I'm with your son. I see a fully enclosed one here in my town
>> quite often. It looks like a tiny, white, high centre of gravity, car.
>> I keep telling himself that when it comes time for me to need one of
>> those, I want one just like it but in baby pink. It gets along at a
>> really good clip.
>>>
>>> However, even wearing one of my leather jackets, I don't think a gang of
>>> us on those would put the fear of God into anyone when we rolled up
>>> outside a café for afternoon tea and sticky buns. Putting our Blue
>>> Badges out for free parking would put the cap on it, I reckon.
>>> "Orthopaedics Angels" does not have the appropriate ring to it either.
>>> Ah well, back to the drawing board.
>>

>> I dunno. A bunch of grumpy old farts is a pretty scary thought to many
>> people.
>>

> I've been tempted to Xpost this for a while.
>
> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E

LOL. I don't remember it but I enjoyed it.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4jj2s$2ndkp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16372&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16372

From: gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:43:24 +1000
 by: Fran - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:43 UTC

On 23/05/2023 8:45 pm, vickiebee wrote:
> Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> [..]>
>>
>> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E
>>

> ~~~
> Thanks, yes, they are silly, but I still miss Monty Python something
> fierce.
>
> v - so old that I remember going a whole day without taking a picture of
> anything.

Snort. I go whole months without taking a pic of anything.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4jj6t$2ndkp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16373&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16373

From: gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:45:33 +1000
 by: Fran - Tue, 23 May 2023 23:45 UTC

On 24/05/2023 8:51 am, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 23/05/2023 07:02, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 09:39:15 +1000
>> Fran <gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com>
>> wrote:

> You've forgotten the most salient of points: lacking in aesthetic taste.
> They *may* be well-engineered, but to what purpose? To create a bloated
> overpowered mechanical armchair, tasteless in every way.

Are they well engineered? They make an appalling noise and they have
the tiniest petrol tanks.

> A misguided Occupational terrorist wanted me to dispose of an excellent
> and well-made wingback armchair, one of a suite, as well as some other
> 'unnecessary' stuff (including the following) Garrard 401 motor unit on
> my glass plinth (http://www.girolle.co.uk) with Hadcock Unipivot SE tone
> arm with van den Hul silver wiring and Cartridge Man Music-Maker II
> pickup with diamond stylus, Sony stereo 'tape corder', Shan Ling CD
> player, Matching Ferrograph 60+60 amp and FM tuner, two of Tandberg
> cassette recorders and a pair of Leak Sandwich Speakers (the big ones,
> with 13" woofers, not the ickle ones - all to make room for a *VAST*
> hoist to get me into the wheelchair.
>
> I told him I wasn't having it in the house, and now use a banana board
> instead, which I can use unaided and takes up no room at all
> (comparatively), whereas the hoist takes two people to operate
> (properly) and the rest. EG, to get into the kitchen once enthroned in
> wheelchair, the hoist would have to block access to the front door,
> require 2 of carers to wait for me to do 'whatever' in the kitchen (this
> may take a little time, folks) before returning to the single remaining
> chair or bed, and the return of a pile of mechanical junk to the denuded
> corner - until, if in chair, requiring the rigmarole* in reverse...
>
> * Suggestion from spielcheque - 'oleomargarine'!
>
>>> I don't like Harleys and think only twits ride them so IMO, you've
>>> preserved your reputation by not buying one ;-)

>>> LOL.  I'm with your son.  I see a fully enclosed one here in my town
>>> quite often. It looks like a tiny, white, high centre of gravity, car.
>>> I keep telling himself that when it comes time for me to need one of
>>> those, I want one just like it but in baby pink. It gets along at a
>>> really good clip.

>>> I dunno.  A bunch of grumpy old farts is a pretty scary thought to many
>>> people.
>>>

>> I've been tempted to Xpost this for a while.
>>
>> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E
> Should turn-up on brrrrm-brrrrmstyx innit

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<kd5vapFp0q2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16374&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16374

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:14:17 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Wed, 24 May 2023 08:14 UTC

On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote:
> On 24/05/2023 8:51 am, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 23/05/2023 07:02, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>>> On Tue, 23 May 2023 09:39:15 +1000
>>> Fran <gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com>

>> You've forgotten the most salient of points: lacking in aesthetic
>> taste. They *may* be well-engineered, but to what purpose? To create a
>> bloated overpowered mechanical armchair, tasteless in every way.
>
> Are they well engineered?  They make an appalling noise and they have
> the tiniest petrol tanks.

This last point I don't get.
Why do merkin bikes tend to have such small tanks when the distances are
so much greater?
For example, my GS550T is a USanian import with a 2.6 gallon tank.
The UK nearest equivalent is the GS550E which more than double the size
tank at 5.3 gallons.
WTF?

Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<kd6b6rFqpk1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16375&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16375

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 12:36:59 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:36 UTC

On 24/05/2023 09:14, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:

> This last point I don't get.
> Why do merkin bikes tend to have such small tanks when the distances are
> so much greater?
> For example, my GS550T is a USanian import with a 2.6 gallon tank.
> The UK nearest equivalent is the GS550E which more than double the size
> tank at 5.3 gallons.
> WTF?

It was ever thus. T140 Bonnies for several years were available as
home-market or US editions, the US ones had high bars and a smaller
peanut tank while the UK ones had a larger (and less pretty, TBH)
slab-sided tank.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4ktao$2v4i4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16376&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16376

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 12:44:24 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:44 UTC

On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote amongst unforgivable overquoting:

> Are they well engineered?  They make an appalling noise and they have
> the tiniest petrol tanks.

IMO, yes, but the ickle fuel tank points to their concept of "Look at
me: *I'm the Big Noise! Utility? This is just swank."

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4ktri$2v62p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16377&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16377

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 12:53:21 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 24 May 2023 11:53 UTC

On 24/05/2023 00:42, Fran wrote under *OVERBLOATED OVERQUOTING:> On
23/05/2023 4:02 pm, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:>> On Tue, 23 May 2023

<kd6gk3Fric5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16378&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16378

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 14:09:23 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 24 May 2023 13:09 UTC

On 24/05/2023 09:14, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:

>> Are they well engineered?  They make an appalling noise and they have
>> the tiniest petrol tanks.
>
> This last point I don't get.
> Why do merkin bikes tend to have such small tanks when the distances are
> so much greater?
> For example, my GS550T is a USanian import with a 2.6 gallon tank.
> The UK nearest equivalent is the GS550E which more than double the size
> tank at 5.3 gallons.
> WTF?
>
> Chris

IWHT that the answer's obvious. US gallons are smaller.

--
/Simon

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<11a3d3e8-4ed4-40bc-8069-5b4939cde72fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16379&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16379

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 24 May 2023 16:36 UTC

On Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 14:11:36 UTC+1, siwilson wrote:

> IWHT that the answer's obvious. US gallons are smaller.

Genius!

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<45b79dd1-c9af-9f91-0b35-c41f4e25433c@xmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16380&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16380

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 13:07:25 -0700
 by: Turby - Wed, 24 May 2023 20:07 UTC

On 5/23/2023 4:43 PM, Fran wrote:
> On 23/05/2023 8:45 pm, vickiebee wrote:
>> Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> [..]>
>>>
>>> Anyone recall "Hell's Grannies"?
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_OIs49m56E
>> ~~~
>> Thanks, yes, they are silly, but I still miss Monty Python something
>> fierce.
>>
>> v - so old that I remember going a whole day without taking a picture of
>> anything.
>
> Snort.  I go whole months without taking a pic of anything.

All I have to do is get high. The esthetic side kicks in and I start
taking "pot shots."

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4mb09$35fju$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16381&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16381

From: gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 10:43:52 +1000
 by: Fran - Thu, 25 May 2023 00:43 UTC

On 24/05/2023 9:44 pm, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote amongst unforgivable overquoting:

Shove your opinion about over quoting where the sun never shines.

I'm not the one who started cross posting an alt.sixtyplus thread to
another ng where there are different habits. alt.sixtyplus generally
has very long threads with little snipping.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar? - CROSSPOST

<38b3kj-734.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16389&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16389

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar? - CROSSPOST
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 14:19:15 +0800
 by: Boots - Thu, 25 May 2023 06:19 UTC

On 24/05/2023 19:36 Mike Fleming penned these words:
> On 24/05/2023 09:14, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:
>>
>> This last point I don't get.
>> Why do merkin bikes tend to have such small tanks when the distances are
>> so much greater?
>> For example, my GS550T is a USanian import with a 2.6 gallon tank.
>> The UK nearest equivalent is the GS550E which more than double the size
>> tank at 5.3 gallons.
>> WTF?
>
> It was ever thus. T140 Bonnies for several years were available as
> home-market or US editions, the US ones had high bars and a smaller
> peanut tank while the UK ones had a larger (and less pretty, TBH)
> slab-sided tank.

I had a UK 77 T140v at the same time a FoF had the US spec one as I recall it
was 4 gallons in the UK tank 2.5 in the US. My present steed had 16 litre tank
and ideally I'd like another 5 at least.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4n8o5$3ds0l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16390&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16390

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 10:11:32 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 25 May 2023 09:11 UTC

On 25/05/2023 01:43, Fran wrote:
> On 24/05/2023 9:44 pm, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote amongst unforgivable overquoting:
>
> Shove your opinion about over quoting where the sun never shines.
>
> I'm not the one who started cross posting an alt.sixtyplus thread to
> another ng where there are different habits.  alt.sixtyplus generally
> has very long threads with little snipping.

You are at liberty to remove the crosspost from your bloated replies.

There is a protocol which states the proportion of reply to quotation
which is acceptable. While the necessity for this has diminished with
the advances in computer technology, plain good manners and intelligence
have not.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4ncr1$3edoq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16391&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16391

From: prairiedove73505@aol.com (vickiebee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 05:21:19 -0500
 by: vickiebee - Thu, 25 May 2023 10:21 UTC

Turby wrote:
> On 5/23/2023 4:43 PM, Fran wrote:

>>> ~~~ Thanks, yes, they are silly, but I still miss Monty Python
>>> something fierce.
>>>
>>> v - so old that I remember going a whole day without taking a
>>> picture of anything.
>>
>> Snort. I go whole months without taking a pic of anything.
>
> All I have to do is get high. The esthetic side kicks in and I start
> taking "pot shots."

~~~
;) So, it makes it's way into your marrow and teaches you how to see.
Would that it could work that way with everyone who takes a picture of
their breakfast... or their feet.

v - sorry about the cross-posting

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<kd9d6nFaou2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16392&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16392

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 16:29:27 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:29 UTC

On 24/05/2023 14:09, siwilson wrote:
> On 24/05/2023 09:14, chrisnd @ukrm wrote:
>

>>> Are they well engineered?  They make an appalling noise and they have
>>> the tiniest petrol tanks.
>>
>> This last point I don't get.
>> Why do merkin bikes tend to have such small tanks when the distances
>> are so much greater?
>> For example, my GS550T is a USanian import with a 2.6 gallon tank.
>> The UK nearest equivalent is the GS550E which more than double the
>> size tank at 5.3 gallons.
>> WTF?
>>
>> Chris
>>

> IWHT that the answer's obvious. US gallons are smaller.

(Thinks..)
Don't you mean bigger - so they take up more space?
I thought everything on the left side of the pond was (automatically)
bigger?

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<kd9d91Faou2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16393&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16393

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 16:30:41 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Thu, 25 May 2023 15:30 UTC

On 24/05/2023 12:44, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote amongst unforgivable overquoting:
>>
>> Are they well engineered?  They make an appalling noise and they have
>> the tiniest petrol tanks.
>
> IMO, yes, but the ickle fuel tank points to their concept of "Look at
> me: *I'm the Big Noise! Utility? This is just swank."

Regrettably, this is the only reason anyone has come up with so far...

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u4oltg$3mhc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16395&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16395

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 23:02:24 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 25 May 2023 22:02 UTC

On 25/05/2023 11:21, vickiebee wrote:

> v - sorry about the cross-posting

'Fraid I didn't see any. It's good to see new people from time to time

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<u59q0o$2oonu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16421&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16421

From: gettingmoredelusionalbythedayistheforger@nutcasewannabeFran.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: alt.sixtyplus,uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:56:40 +1000
 by: Fran - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:56 UTC

On 25/05/2023 7:11 pm, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 25/05/2023 01:43, Fran wrote:
>> On 24/05/2023 9:44 pm, RustyHinge wrote:
>>> On 24/05/2023 00:45, Fran wrote amongst unforgivable overquoting:
>>
>> Shove your opinion about over quoting where the sun never shines.
>>
>> I'm not the one who started cross posting an alt.sixtyplus thread to
>> another ng where there are different habits.  alt.sixtyplus generally
>> has very long threads with little snipping.
>>
> You are at liberty to remove the crosspost from your bloated replies.
Yawn.

> There is a protocol which states the proportion of reply to quotation
> which is acceptable. While the necessity for this has diminished with
> the advances in computer technology, plain good manners and intelligence
> have  not.

Good manners should prevent you from making snide remarks about bloating
and overquoting and possession of intelligence should lead you to
recognise when you are being a hypocrite. You fail on both counts.

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<5flk7it2p9uk68db88gm3735h6a1djmhgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16438&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16438

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 22:01:26 +0100
 by: Pipl - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 21:01 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:56:40 +1000, Fran
wrote:

>On 25/05/2023 7:11 pm, RustyHinge wrote:
>> There is a protocol which states the proportion of reply to quotation
>> which is acceptable. While the necessity for this has diminished with
>> the advances in computer technology, plain good manners and intelligence
>> have  not.
>
>Good manners should prevent you from making snide remarks about bloating
>and overquoting and possession of intelligence should lead you to
>recognise when you are being a hypocrite. You fail on both counts.

Having just been on a technical writing course, one point that was
made was: "Be kind, and write for the benefit of the reader".

While bandwidth isn't a problem for text media these days, having to
scroll down through loads of blurb that one has probably already read
only to get to a single-line reply to the previous post can be a
mildly irritating experience. It can also distract from the point the
poster is trying to make, thus weakening their position.

Obviously, if the reply needs the extra content, then leave it in.
Sometimes also, we reply quickly in the spur of the moment, but that
should be recognised as exceptional.

--

-Pip

Re: Wonder if Blokes could get away with similar?

<1e734785-310d-4786-ac50-73b12bb3499fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16441&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16441

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:26:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 23:26 UTC

Fran wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
> > Fran wrote:
> Shove your opinion about over quoting where the sun never shines.
>
> I'm not the one who started cross posting an alt.sixtyplus thread

Worst porn site I ever visited. Ever.