From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks
Date: 26 May 2023 07:25:12 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Fri, 26 May 2023 07:25 UTC

Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via DHCP)?

Thanks,

Daniele

Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks

<260520230433353237%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16353&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16353

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 04:33:35 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 26 May 2023 08:33 UTC

In article <kdb56oFiub8U1@mid.individual.net>, D.M. Procida
<daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
> wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via DHCP)?

very possible. configure dns and whatever else in system
preferences/network.

Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks

<u4qnm2$2oe9$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16368&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16368

From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 16:44:50 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Fri, 26 May 2023 16:44 UTC

In article <kdb56oFiub8U1@mid.individual.net>,
D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
>Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
>wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via DHCP)?

I think this should work in Ventura... when connected to the network,
go to "Wi-Fi" in System Settings. Click on "Details" next to the
network name. In the pop-up window, select "DNS" then use the + and -
buttons.

-- Richard

Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks

<kdcngfFqcurU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16371&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16371

From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 26 May 2023 21:43:43 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Fri, 26 May 2023 21:43 UTC

On 26 May 2023 at 17:44:50 BST, "Richard Tobin" <Richard Tobin> wrote:

> In article <kdb56oFiub8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
>> wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via DHCP)?
>
> I think this should work in Ventura... when connected to the network,
> go to "Wi-Fi" in System Settings. Click on "Details" next to the
> network name. In the pop-up window, select "DNS" then use the + and -
> buttons.

That is in fact how I applied it, but the setting then applies for all
wireless networks - not just that one.

Daniele

Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks

<260520231822254537%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16373&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16373

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 18:22:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 26 May 2023 22:22 UTC

In article <kdcngfFqcurU1@mid.individual.net>, D.M. Procida
<daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
> >> wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via
> >> DHCP)?
> >
> > I think this should work in Ventura... when connected to the network,
> > go to "Wi-Fi" in System Settings. Click on "Details" next to the
> > network name. In the pop-up window, select "DNS" then use the + and -
> > buttons.
>
> That is in fact how I applied it, but the setting then applies for all
> wireless networks - not just that one.

locations.

Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks

<u4t5us$f20m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16382&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16382

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 15:00:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8pQmGzxtaGQWkTjvuM9Zyj1xgUI=
 by: Andy H - Sat, 27 May 2023 15:00 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2023 at 17:44:50 BST, "Richard Tobin" <Richard Tobin> wrote:
>
>> In article <kdb56oFiub8U1@mid.individual.net>,
>> D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to set a DNS server that will only be used when on certain
>>> wireless networks (and when on others, macOS should just pick it up via DHCP)?
>>
>> I think this should work in Ventura... when connected to the network,
>> go to "Wi-Fi" in System Settings. Click on "Details" next to the
>> network name. In the pop-up window, select "DNS" then use the + and -
>> buttons.
>
> That is in fact how I applied it, but the setting then applies for all
> wireless networks - not just that one.
>
> Daniele

You can create a Location for each network, and add the settings there as
needed. You still need to switch them manually though (this is desktop OS
only though) - might be possible to use Automation/Shortcuts.

For mobile, I think you simply set it for each network as you use them,
then it should remember for next time.

If you happen to use something like CloudFlare (1.1.1.1), you can use their
app to exclude certain networks, otherwise use the 1.1.1.1 DNS server (you
don’t have to use their fancy Warp thing).

--
Andy H

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Use specified DNS server only on certain networks