If you don't know what game you're playing, don't ask what the score is.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Cannot disconnect when called

SubjectAuthor
* Cannot disconnect when calledDavey
+* Re: Cannot disconnect when calledWoody
|`- Re: Cannot disconnect when calledDavey
`* Re: Cannot disconnect when calledAndy Burns
 `* Re: Cannot disconnect when calledMark Carver
  +- Re: Cannot disconnect when calledDavey
  +- Re: Cannot disconnect when calledDavey
  `* Re: Cannot disconnect when calledDavey
   `* Re: Cannot disconnect when calledWoody
    `- Re: Cannot disconnect when calledDavey

1
Cannot disconnect when called

<uk58co$bsj0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1606&group=uk.telecom#1606

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Cannot disconnect when called
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:35:20 +0000
 by: Davey - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:35 UTC

On one of the calls that plays a recording asking me to press '1' to
talk to an operator to cancel some non-existent purchase, it didn't
disconnect when the answering machine kicked in, unlike what usually
happens. This is on a common Samsung DECT XT- system. Since the
recording kept on going, I tried to break the connection by pressing
the red disconnect button, but it didn't work. This is surely wrong? If
I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an incoming
call, should I not be able to do that? Do other DECT sets do this as
well? I had to wait until the recording finally gave up waiting for a
response from me.

--
Davey.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<uk5hn6$dlfp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1610&group=uk.telecom#1610

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Cannot disconnect when called
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:14:30 +0000
 by: Woody - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:14 UTC

On Tue 28/11/2023 17:35, Davey wrote:
> On one of the calls that plays a recording asking me to press '1' to
> talk to an operator to cancel some non-existent purchase, it didn't
> disconnect when the answering machine kicked in, unlike what usually
> happens. This is on a common Samsung DECT XT- system. Since the
> recording kept on going, I tried to break the connection by pressing
> the red disconnect button, but it didn't work. This is surely wrong? If
> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an incoming
> call, should I not be able to do that? Do other DECT sets do this as
> well? I had to wait until the recording finally gave up waiting for a
> response from me.

The incoming call controls the call, so pressing the disconnect button
will not instantly terminate the call. It used to be that you had to
wait for one call period (3 mins?) before the call would be dropped but
some years ago, because of false 'banking' calls BT changed the system
to force a termination after a much shorter time - IMSMC 3 seconds.

This assumes of course you are talking about a BT line - it may not be
so with other providers.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<ksn33oFlpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1613&group=uk.telecom#1613

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:07:03 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 21:07 UTC

Davey wrote:

> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an incoming
> call, should I not be able to do that?

I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years ago?

Have you got a non-DECT phone? If so make a call to yourself
(presumably from mobile) answer it on non-DECT phone, then do a
hook-flash (or TBR if you have a recall button) you should get
dial-tone, hang-up, you should get ringback for the call still in
progress, don't lift receiver, eventually the ringback will stop and
that should clear the line.

Probably no so easy with only DECT handsets, my gigaset has an 'R' on
the zero key, I think it can act as a recall button by pressing it for 5
seconds, not tried it though ...

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<uk5qvl$f34t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1614&group=uk.telecom#1614

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:52:37 +0000
 by: Davey - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:52 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 20:14:30 +0000
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Tue 28/11/2023 17:35, Davey wrote:
> > On one of the calls that plays a recording asking me to press '1' to
> > talk to an operator to cancel some non-existent purchase, it didn't
> > disconnect when the answering machine kicked in, unlike what usually
> > happens. This is on a common Samsung DECT XT- system. Since the
> > recording kept on going, I tried to break the connection by pressing
> > the red disconnect button, but it didn't work. This is surely
> > wrong? If I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on
> > an incoming call, should I not be able to do that? Do other DECT
> > sets do this as well? I had to wait until the recording finally
> > gave up waiting for a response from me.
> >

> The incoming call controls the call, so pressing the disconnect
> button will not instantly terminate the call. It used to be that you
> had to wait for one call period (3 mins?) before the call would be
> dropped but some years ago, because of false 'banking' calls BT
> changed the system to force a termination after a much shorter time -
> IMSMC 3 seconds.
>
> This assumes of course you are talking about a BT line - it may not
> be so with other providers.

My provider is Zen. I might ask them, they are usually very helpful.
Thanks for the idea.

--
Davey.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<kso9mtFadsnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1621&group=uk.telecom#1621

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05 UTC

On 28/11/2023 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> Davey wrote:
>
>> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an incoming
>> call, should I not be able to do that?
>
> I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years ago?

They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)

In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after about
3 seconds.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<uk702b$oiil$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1622&group=uk.telecom#1622

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:25:31 +0000
 by: Davey - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:25 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 28/11/2023 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Davey wrote:
> >
> >> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an
> >> incoming call, should I not be able to do that?
> >
> > I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years
> > ago?
>
> They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)
>
> In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after
> about 3 seconds.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough, I was expecting a direct response to
the button being pressed.

Next time (assuming there is a next time, thankfully it's rare) that the
call is not automatically terminated, I'll try a longer wait after
trying to disconnect. Thanks.

--
Davey.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<uk7c17$reu1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1625&group=uk.telecom#1625

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:25:31 +0000
 by: Davey - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:25 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 28/11/2023 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Davey wrote:
> >
> >> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an
> >> incoming call, should I not be able to do that?
> >
> > I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years
> > ago?
>
> They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)
>
> In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after
> about 3 seconds.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough, I was expecting a direct response to
the button being pressed.

Next time (assuming there is a next time, thankfully it's rare) that the
call is not automatically terminated, I'll try a longer wait after
trying to disconnect. Thanks.

--
Davey.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<uk9q0n$1b2fo$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1637&group=uk.telecom#1637

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:00:38 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 11:00 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 28/11/2023 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Davey wrote:
> >
> >> I want to break a connection, even/especially if it is on an
> >> incoming call, should I not be able to do that?
> >
> > I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years
> > ago?
>
> They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)
>
> In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after
> about 3 seconds.

I just tried that on a call that insisted on playing the whole
recording about unexpected charges, but it would not terminate the call
until it had finished. That was both holding the button down, and also
waiting. It was a long recording.

--
Davey.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<ukacv3$1e543$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1640&group=uk.telecom#1640

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:24:02 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:24 UTC

On Thu 30/11/2023 11:00, Davey wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
> Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I thought BT had implemented called-party cleardown several years
>>> ago?
>>
>> They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)
>>
>> In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after
>> about 3 seconds.
>>

> I just tried that on a call that insisted on playing the whole
> recording about unexpected charges, but it would not terminate the call
> until it had finished. That was both holding the button down, and also
> waiting. It was a long recording.

If you know who the caller was you can report it to OfCom who should
sanction them.

Re: Cannot disconnect when called

<ukanbq$1fu2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1642&group=uk.telecom#1642

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:21:29 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:21 UTC

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023 16:24:02 +0000
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu 30/11/2023 11:00, Davey wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 08:05:47 +0000
> > Mark Carver <mark@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> They did (and that will include Zen lines I would have thought)
> >>
> >> In my experience called party cleardown kills the connection after
> >> about 3 seconds.
> >>

> > I just tried that on a call that insisted on playing the whole
> > recording about unexpected charges, but it would not terminate the
> > call until it had finished. That was both holding the button down,
> > and also waiting. It was a long recording.
> >

> If you know who the caller was you can report it to OfCom who should
> sanction them.

But I don't know. It's always a different number displayed, even if the
message is the same as the previous umpteen times, and the relevant body
described is vague, such as 'your charge account' or some such. None of
the claimed charges have ever appeared on any of my accounts anywhere.

--
Davey.