Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.] -- Gauss

aus+uk / uk.telecom / call drop on the new voip lines

SubjectAuthor
* call drop on the new voip linesBrian Gaff
+* Re: call drop on the new voip linestony sayer
|`* Re: call drop on the new voip linesBrian Gaff
| `* Re: call drop on the new voip linesDavid Wade
|  `* Re: call drop on the new voip linesAndy Burns
|   +* Re: call drop on the new voip linesThe Natural Philosopher
|   |`* Re: call drop on the new voip linesAndy Burns
|   | +* Re: call drop on the new voip linesNY
|   | |`- Re: call drop on the new voip linesMark Carver
|   | `- Re: call drop on the new voip linesThe Natural Philosopher
|   `- Re: call drop on the new voip linesDavid Wade
`- Re: call drop on the new voip linesDavid Wade

1
call drop on the new voip lines

<ukc9i7$1qn68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1645&group=uk.telecom#1645

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: call drop on the new voip lines
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:38:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 09:38 UTC

Recently as the world and his dog goes over to our brave new digital voice
calls, I'm increasingly finding that a call will start reasonable quality,
and gradually get more and more restricted sounding and then with no
warning, simply drop out and give you a dial tone or silence.
I still think there is a lot more load testing that needs to be done before
they declare its a success. I'm on old line here, and find it rather rich
that Virgin, when they decide to change the router merely give you the one
socket and do not wire the old extensions to a plug.
I don't know what BT are doing.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<HkEyH6FAmbalFwMu@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=uk.telecom#1648

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: call drop on the new voip lines
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:46:24 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 10:46 UTC

In article <ukc9i7$1qn68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>Recently as the world and his dog goes over to our brave new digital voice
>calls, I'm increasingly finding that a call will start reasonable quality,
>and gradually get more and more restricted sounding and then with no
>warning, simply drop out and give you a dial tone or silence.
> I still think there is a lot more load testing that needs to be done before
>they declare its a success. I'm on old line here, and find it rather rich
>that Virgin, when they decide to change the router merely give you the one
>socket and do not wire the old extensions to a plug.
> I don't know what BT are doing.
> Brian

Brian..

I've been using VoIP over VoIPfone more years than i care to remember
now and never had a problem with t!

Haven't had a conventional phone line for years. Now all i use if the
mobile thats very cheap, and mobile! and works very well!..

--
Tony Sayer

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukeqc7$29tf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1653&group=uk.telecom#1653

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:37:27 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 08:37 UTC

On 01/12/2023 09:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Recently as the world and his dog goes over to our brave new digital voice
> calls, I'm increasingly finding that a call will start reasonable quality,
> and gradually get more and more restricted sounding and then with no
> warning, simply drop out and give you a dial tone or silence.

This should not happen VOIP does not need much bandwidth.

> I still think there is a lot more load testing that needs to be done before
> they declare its a success. I'm on old line here, and find it rather rich
> that Virgin, when they decide to change the router merely give you the one
> socket and do not wire the old extensions to a plug.

I think they assume that you are, like 90% of the world using DECT
cordless phones. You can buy a patch lead from Amazon to patch in the
old sockets.

> I don't know what BT are doing.

The same.

> Brian

Dave

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukfb6s$2ccvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1654&group=uk.telecom#1654

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:24:40 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:24 UTC

That is fine in a good signal area, but there still is no way for a line to
keep working in a power cut, as happens on the old copper wires most of the
time.

Brian

--

--:
"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <ukc9i7$1qn68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>>Recently as the world and his dog goes over to our brave new digital voice
>>calls, I'm increasingly finding that a call will start reasonable quality,
>>and gradually get more and more restricted sounding and then with no
>>warning, simply drop out and give you a dial tone or silence.
>> I still think there is a lot more load testing that needs to be done
>> before
>>they declare its a success. I'm on old line here, and find it rather rich
>>that Virgin, when they decide to change the router merely give you the one
>>socket and do not wire the old extensions to a plug.
>> I don't know what BT are doing.
>> Brian
>>

> Brian..
>
> I've been using VoIP over VoIPfone more years than i care to remember
> now and never had a problem with t!
>
> Haven't had a conventional phone line for years. Now all i use if the
> mobile thats very cheap, and mobile! and works very well!..
>
> --
> Tony Sayer
>

> Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
>
> Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukgknp$2i9e3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1660&group=uk.telecom#1660

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 01:13:29 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 01:13 UTC

On 02/12/2023 13:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
> That is fine in a good signal area, but there still is no way for a line to
> keep working in a power cut, as happens on the old copper wires most of the
> time.
>
> Brian

Why not? The FTTP network is totally passive, it only requires power at
the endpoints. So long as the "Exchange" has power and you have battery
backup for you router and terminator phones should work as before.

My DECT handsets have a standby time of 1 week and can be paired
directly with the router so no problems

Dave

> -- --: This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from... The Sofa of
> Brian Gaff... briang1@blueyonder.co.uk Blind user, so no pictures please
> Note this Signature is meaningless.! "tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk>
> wrote in message news:HkEyH6FAmbalFwMu@bancom.co.uk...
>> In article<ukc9i7$1qn68$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> scribeth thus
>>> Recently as the world and his dog goes over to our brave new digital voice
>>> calls, I'm increasingly finding that a call will start reasonable quality,
>>> and gradually get more and more restricted sounding and then with no
>>> warning, simply drop out and give you a dial tone or silence.
>>> I still think there is a lot more load testing that needs to be done
>>> before
>>> they declare its a success. I'm on old line here, and find it rather rich
>>> that Virgin, when they decide to change the router merely give you the one
>>> socket and do not wire the old extensions to a plug.
>>> I don't know what BT are doing.
>>> Brian
>>>
>> Brian..
>>
>> I've been using VoIP over VoIPfone more years than i care to remember
>> now and never had a problem with t!
>>
>> Haven't had a conventional phone line for years. Now all i use if the
>> mobile thats very cheap, and mobile! and works very well!..
>>
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

>> Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
>>
>> Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<kt2u3qFee24U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1661&group=uk.telecom#1661

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:55:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:55 UTC

David Wade wrote:

> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> there still is no way for a line to keep working in a power cut
>
> Why not? The FTTP network is totally passive, it only requires power at
> the endpoints. So long as the "Exchange" has power and you have battery
> backup for you router and terminator phones should work as before.
>
> My DECT handsets have a standby time of 1 week and can be paired
> directly with the router so no problems

Does your router also survive a week without power?

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukhhkk$2q2n7$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1662&group=uk.telecom#1662

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:26:44 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 09:26 UTC

On 03/12/2023 08:55, Andy Burns wrote:

> David Wade wrote:
>
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> there still is no way for a line to keep working in a power cut
>>
>> Why not? The FTTP network is totally passive, it only requires power
>> at the endpoints. So long as the "Exchange" has power and you have
>> battery backup for you router and terminator phones should work as
>> before.
>>
>> My DECT handsets have a standby time of 1 week and can be paired
>> directly with the router so no problems
>
> Does your router also survive a week without power?

It most certainly could with a basic battery, but q router is not
required for some VOIP.

"Saki"

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<kt32d1Fee24U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1663&group=uk.telecom#1663

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:08:32 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:08 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Does your router also survive a week without power?
>
> It most certainly could with a basic battery

Fine if you don't want to use it much during that week, otherwise
10 watts x 7 days needs about 40 kg of lead-acid battery
or ££££ of lithium

> but q router is not required for some VOIP.

Some older FTTP installs may have the phone port on the ONT, but that
seems to be out of favour now, with the ISP being expected to provide it
on the router (or the customer goes it alone and provides their own
equipment).

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<Hkedncwb5slUwfH4nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=uk.telecom#1664

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:47:34 +0000
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
 by: NY - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:47 UTC

On 03/12/2023 10:08, Andy Burns wrote:
> Some older FTTP installs may have the phone port on the ONT, but that
> seems to be out of favour now, with the ISP being expected to provide it
> on the router (or the customer goes it alone and provides their own
> equipment).

Phone socket on router is possibly the better solution. The ONT tends to
get installed at the closest point in the house to where the fibre
enters, as long as there is power nearby - eg near the front door.

People tend to site a router in a more central position where the
distance from anywhere in the house is (on average) closer, which helps
both with wifi reception and with DECT reception for an analogue-input
phone.

The real problem with some houses is getting the Ethernet cable from the
ONT to the router, if the floors are wooden (so no carpet to tuck the
cable down the edge of).

Houses tend to have phone sockets installed already, using trunking that
has already been installed under the plaster of walls, so no
re-decoration is needed.

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukhn6g$2qupa$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=uk.telecom#1665

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:01:36 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:01 UTC

On 03/12/2023 10:08, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> Does your router also survive a week without power?
>>
>> It most certainly could with a basic battery
>
> Fine if you don't want to use it much during that week, otherwise
> 10 watts x 7 days needs about 40 kg of lead-acid battery
> or ££££ of lithium
>
>> but q router is not required for some VOIP.
>
> Some older FTTP installs may have the phone port on the ONT, but that
> seems to be out of favour now, with the ISP being expected to provide it
> on the router (or the customer goes it alone and provides their own
> equipment).

Yes. That seems to be the 'easy' way out.
I am sure we will end up with battery backed routers then

--
“I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

― Leo Tolstoy

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<ukhqhf$2ra11$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1668&group=uk.telecom#1668

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:58:39 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 11:58 UTC

On 03/12/2023 08:55, Andy Burns wrote:

> David Wade wrote:
>
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> there still is no way for a line to keep working in a power cut
>>
>> Why not? The FTTP network is totally passive, it only requires power
>> at the endpoints. So long as the "Exchange" has power and you have
>> battery backup for you router and terminator phones should work as
>> before.
>>
>> My DECT handsets have a standby time of 1 week and can be paired
>> directly with the router so no problems
>
> Does your router also survive a week without power?

No but Brian said:-

"no way"

and that is not true. Its not impossible to provide backup. The router
and ONT combined use about 10 watts so whilst you wont get a week, there
are plenty that will give you 24 hours, more if you only switch them on
when you want...

Dave

Re: call drop on the new voip lines

<kt3n2jFktbsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1670&group=uk.telecom#1670

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:01:22 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 16:01 UTC

On 03/12/2023 10:47, NY wrote:

> The real problem with some houses is getting the Ethernet cable from the
> ONT to the router, if the floors are wooden (so no carpet to tuck the
> cable down the edge of).
>
> Houses tend to have phone sockets installed already, using trunking that
> has already been installed under the plaster of walls, so no
> re-decoration is needed.

If the extension wiring has used CW1308 cable, then you can repurpose
the two pairs for Ethernet. You won't be able to connect above 100 Mb/s,
but for many that's no big deal.

Yes, I know the twist rate isn't correct for Ethernet, but it works fine
still in a domestic setting.