If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

SubjectAuthor
* sometimes I really really hate computerssiwilson
+* sometimes I really really hate computersogden
|`* sometimes I really really hate computerssiwilson
| `* sometimes I really really hate computersMark Olson
|  +- sometimes I really really hate computersPipl
|  `- sometimes I really really hate computerssiwilson
`- sometimes I really really hate computersTurby

1
sometimes I really really hate computers

<ke3s2bFd14qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16451&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16451

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: sometimes I really really hate computers
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:22:35 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:22 UTC

Day 3 of trying to move a little Raspberry pi server from spinning rust
to SSD.

The SSD is smaller than the HD's partition, and therein lies the
problem. I've tried everything but in the end resorted to having to copy
everything file by file. And there are more than 2 million files.

Just to make it slightly easier to turn the lights on and off, and
record how much leccy they use.

*sigh*.

--
/Simon

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<39da03c2-c576-488a-ac15-38242022c891n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16452&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16452

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:18:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: sometimes I really really hate computers
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:18 UTC

siwilson wrote:
> Day 3 of trying to move a little Raspberry pi server from spinning rust
> to SSD.
>
> The SSD is smaller than the HD's partition, and therein lies the
> problem. I've tried everything but in the end resorted to having to copy
> everything file by file. And there are more than 2 million files.

tar cf - -C /oldroot . | tar xf - -C /newroot

And then piss off down the pub til it's done.

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<ke409vFdj97U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16453&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16453

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 18:34:56 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:34 UTC

On 04/06/2023 18:18, ogden wrote:
> siwilson wrote:
>> Day 3 of trying to move a little Raspberry pi server from spinning rust
>> to SSD.
>>
>> The SSD is smaller than the HD's partition, and therein lies the
>> problem. I've tried everything but in the end resorted to having to copy
>> everything file by file. And there are more than 2 million files.
>
> tar cf - -C /oldroot . | tar xf - -C /newroot
>
> And then piss off down the pub til it's done.

Yeah. I didn't add that there's some weird hardware issue in that
frequently the copy fails. I've managed to reduce the failure rate by
plugging the drives into usb2 ports rather than usb3, but, it still
fails fairly regularly. So I've been using rsync, which gets slower and
slower as it has to plough through all the files it's already copied. It
nearly completed overnight, but then I've just figured out (I think)
that I missed a trailing / on the source directory so the copy has done
some really weird stuff.

--
/Simon

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<u5ir90$24ej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16454&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16454

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:13:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:13 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/2023 18:18, ogden wrote:
>> siwilson wrote:
>>> Day 3 of trying to move a little Raspberry pi server from spinning rust
>>> to SSD.
>>>
>>> The SSD is smaller than the HD's partition, and therein lies the
>>> problem. I've tried everything but in the end resorted to having to copy
>>> everything file by file. And there are more than 2 million files.
>>
>> tar cf - -C /oldroot . | tar xf - -C /newroot
>>
>> And then piss off down the pub til it's done.
>
> Yeah. I didn't add that there's some weird hardware issue in that
> frequently the copy fails. I've managed to reduce the failure rate by
> plugging the drives into usb2 ports rather than usb3, but, it still
> fails fairly regularly. So I've been using rsync, which gets slower and
> slower as it has to plough through all the files it's already copied. It
> nearly completed overnight, but then I've just figured out (I think)
> that I missed a trailing / on the source directory so the copy has done
> some really weird stuff.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but did you try shrinking the
partition on the mechanical drive first?

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<u5j17v$2m5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16455&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16455

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:55:11 -0700
 by: Turby - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:55 UTC

On 6/4/2023 9:22 AM, siwilson wrote:
> Day 3 of trying to move a little Raspberry pi server from spinning rust
> to SSD.
>... I've tried everything but in the end resorted to having to copy
> everything file by file. And there are more than 2 million files.
>
> *sigh*.

Just wondering how many of those 2 million files you might ever, EVER
need or want to open. Then realizing how many fewer files I have in
storage (only a few thousand,) and whether I will ever get around to
sorting them.

Now you've got me going on them. Thanks a lot.
grrr

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<352q7i13feeddu9m21vfcgg3jqe0j0bel5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16456&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16456

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 22:57:07 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:57 UTC

On Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:13:20 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>Apologies if this is too obvious, but did you try shrinking the
>partition on the mechanical drive first?

....which was my first thought

--

-Pip

Re: sometimes I really really hate computers

<ke5muvFlgauU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16459&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16459

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 10:07:44 +0100
 by: siwilson - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 09:07 UTC

On 04/06/2023 21:13, Mark Olson wrote:
> siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> tar cf - -C /oldroot . | tar xf - -C /newroot
>>>
>>> And then piss off down the pub til it's done.
>>
>> Yeah. I didn't add that there's some weird hardware issue in that
>> frequently the copy fails. I've managed to reduce the failure rate by
>> plugging the drives into usb2 ports rather than usb3, but, it still
>> fails fairly regularly. So I've been using rsync, which gets slower and
>> slower as it has to plough through all the files it's already copied. It
>> nearly completed overnight, but then I've just figured out (I think)
>> that I missed a trailing / on the source directory so the copy has done
>> some really weird stuff.
>
> Apologies if this is too obvious, but did you try shrinking the
> partition on the mechanical drive first?

I did. It didn't work. gparted (or fdisk, can't remember now) prints a
dire warning not to try it. It was a 4Tb drive but an old style (2TB
max) partition.

I *think* I managed to restore everything now.

--
/Simon