From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: more home automation nerdiness
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:52:31 +0100
 by: siwilson - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:52 UTC

One of the things that keeps me entertained whilst I scheme up
counter-attacks/offences against my employer, is more Home Assistant fun.

A while ago I bought a 433MHz thing that could listen to stuff being
broadcast and then post what it hears onto a message bus (MQTT).

I thought I could use it to monitor heating oil levels[1], but when I
tried, the protocol wasn't supported. Fast forward a few weeks and the
open-sourcers have provide the means.

So now, I can view my[2] oil levels without having to walk into the
kitchen to see how much we have left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjFgAzZ1CZXED3VS9

ps, Home Assistant is quite amazing [3]. This year, they are working on
voice recognition, with no internet required. I tried it, with a super
cheap little [5] mic/speaker thing. The voice recognition runs on a tiny
RaspberryPi and it really does work.

[1] yeah, we still have to use that stuff out in the sticks
[2] and several of my neighbour's
[3] allegedly 2nd most active project on GitHub[4]
[4] jfgi
[5] https://photos.app.goo.gl/EBkoMaiCrrdpxH7S7

--
/Simon

Re: more home automation nerdiness

<u6g0br$hfnt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16527&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16527

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: more home automation nerdiness
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:38:03 -0700
 by: Turby - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:38 UTC

On 6/15/2023 11:52 AM, siwilson wrote:
> One of the things that keeps me entertained whilst I scheme up
> counter-attacks/offences against my employer, is more Home Assistant fun.
>
> A while ago I bought a 433MHz thing that could listen to stuff being
> broadcast and then post what it hears onto a message bus (MQTT).
>
> I thought I could use it to monitor heating oil levels[1], but when I
> tried, the protocol wasn't supported. Fast forward a few weeks and the
> open-sourcers have provide the means.
>
> So now, I can view my[2] oil levels without having to walk into the
> kitchen to see how much we have left.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/AjFgAzZ1CZXED3VS9
>
> ps, Home Assistant is quite amazing [3]. This year, they are working on
> voice recognition, with no internet required. I tried it, with a super
> cheap little [5] mic/speaker thing. The voice recognition runs on a tiny
> RaspberryPi and it really does work.
>

> [1] yeah, we still have to use that stuff out in the sticks
> [2] and several of my neighbour's
> [3] allegedly 2nd most active project on GitHub[4]
> [4] jfgi
> [5] https://photos.app.goo.gl/EBkoMaiCrrdpxH7S7

So, do you call it by a male or female name?

Can it keep track of groceries?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: more home automation nerdiness

<6cpslj-o16.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16531&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16531

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 09:09:58 +0800
 by: Boots - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 01:09 UTC

On 16/06/2023 02:52 siwilson penned these words:
> One of the things that keeps me entertained whilst I scheme up
> counter-attacks/offences against my employer, is more Home Assistant fun.

I have it installed on my NAS, it will happily toggle on/off my two different
smart plugs. That's as far as I've got so far, bought a switch for the water
heater but have yet to install.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"