Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

SubjectAuthor
* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?jbrennand
+* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Alan B
|+- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?David Sankey
+* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Bernd Froehlich
|`* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?nospam
| `* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?jbrennand
|  `* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?nospam
|   +- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?alien
|   `- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Sn!pe
+* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Chris
|`- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?RJH
`* A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?D.M. Procida
 `- A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?Alan B

1
A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u57ibu$2djn9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16424&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16424

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 14:33:49 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:33 UTC

I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.

Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
added security.

My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.

Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the
obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
"features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.

All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
to be aware of?

Thanks for any input

JohnB

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u57j1d$2dn9q$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16425&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16425

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:45:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Wed, 31 May 2023 13:45 UTC

jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>
> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
> added security.
>
> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>
> Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
> Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the
> obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
> "features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
> I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.
>
> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
> similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
> to be aware of?

I wonder if Private Relay might meet your needs but you’ll need an iCloud+
sub which was from 79p per month.

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212614>

But of course there are restrictions which make it less useful than VPN
such as it only works with Safari :(

<https://iboysoft.com/amp/wiki/icloud-private-relay.html#icloud-private-relay-vs.-vpn>

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<kdp29qFn7kmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16426&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16426

From: befr@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 31 May 2023 14:01:30 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Wed, 31 May 2023 14:01 UTC

On 31. May 2023 at 15:33:49 CEST, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
> similar price?

Sorry, no personal experience (other than that I am using their free
browser.)

<https://mullvad.net/en/why-mullvad-vpn>

AFAIK they provide the optional VPN-Service for Mozilla too.

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<310520231004367723%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16427&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16427

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:04:36 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 31 May 2023 14:04 UTC

In article <kdp29qFn7kmU1@mid.individual.net>, Bernd Froehlich
<befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:

> > All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
> > two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
> > similar price?
>
> Sorry, no personal experience (other than that I am using their free
> browser.)
>
> <https://mullvad.net/en/why-mullvad-vpn>
>
> AFAIK they provide the optional VPN-Service for Mozilla too.

one of the best.

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u57nj1$2e7cd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16428&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16428

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 16:02:57 +0100
 by: jbrennand - Wed, 31 May 2023 15:02 UTC

On 31/05/2023 15:04, nospam wrote:
> In article <kdp29qFn7kmU1@mid.individual.net>, Bernd Froehlich
> <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:
>
>>> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
>>> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
>>> similar price?
>>
>> Sorry, no personal experience (other than that I am using their free
>> browser.)
>>
>> <https://mullvad.net/en/why-mullvad-vpn>
>>
>> AFAIK they provide the optional VPN-Service for Mozilla too.
>
> one of the best.

Thanks chaps. I had seen that - I have similar on Opera but didn't
install this on FF - which is my usual browser - as its $5/month - what
features does it have that makes it more than double Surfshark ?

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<kdp7f1Fo14sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16429&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16429

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 31 May 2023 15:29:37 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 31 May 2023 15:29 UTC

On 31 May 2023 at 14:45:17 BST, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
>> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>>
>> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
>> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
>> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
>> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
>> added security.
>>
>> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
>> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
>> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>>
>> Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
>> Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the> obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
>> "features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
>> I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.
>>
>> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
>> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
>> similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
>> to be aware of?
>
> I wonder if Private Relay might meet your needs but you’ll need an iCloud+
> sub which was from 79p per month.
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212614>
>
> But of course there are restrictions which make it less useful than VPN
> such as it only works with Safari :(
>
> <https://iboysoft.com/amp/wiki/icloud-private-relay.html#icloud-private-relay-vs.-vpn>

It also doesn't give you a choice of nation to exit into, it's all about
privacy and not about fooling media corporations :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u5808v$2f8lu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16434&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16434

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 17:31:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ov4r6hNtek6Hmvriw8ywrcoL/eI=
 by: Chris - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:31 UTC

jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>
> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
> added security.
>
> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>
> Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
> Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the
> obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
> "features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
> I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.
>
> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
> similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
> to be aware of?
>
> Thanks for any input

Not a heavy user, but I've used TunnelBear for years on macOS and iOS. It's
cute, fully featured and used to be well rated. Not checked lately how it
compares, but I've no complaints. There's a free tier or you can pay to get
more data.

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<310520231358269502%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16436&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16436

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 13:58:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:58 UTC

In article <u57nj1$2e7cd$1@dont-email.me>, jbrennand

> >> Sorry, no personal experience (other than that I am using their free
> >> browser.)
> >>
> >> <https://mullvad.net/en/why-mullvad-vpn>
> >>
> >> AFAIK they provide the optional VPN-Service for Mozilla too.
> >
> > one of the best.
>
> Thanks chaps. I had seen that - I have similar on Opera but didn't
> install this on FF - which is my usual browser - as its $5/month - what
> features does it have that makes it more than double Surfshark ?

trustworthy.

massive vpn comparison:
<https://thatoneprivacysite.xyz>

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u59aog$2n61s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16450&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16450

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:36:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 05:36 UTC

On 31 May 2023 at 18:31:11 BST, Chris wrote:

> jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
>> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>>
>> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
>> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
>> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
>> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
>> added security.
>>
>> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
>> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
>> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>>
>> Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
>> Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the>
>> obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
>> "features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
>> I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.
>>
>> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
>> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
>> similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
>> to be aware of?
>>
>> Thanks for any input
>
> Not a heavy user, but I've used TunnelBear for years on macOS and iOS. It's
> cute, fully featured and used to be well rated. Not checked lately how it
> compares, but I've no complaints.

Same here with NordVPN.

> There's a free tier or you can pay to get
> more data.

Not sure about that with Nord.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u59hvl$2nu4l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16452&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16452

From: David.Sankey@stfc.ac.uk (David Sankey)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:39:33 +0100
 by: David Sankey - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 07:39 UTC

On 31/05/2023 14:45, Alan B wrote:
> jbrennand <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
>> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>>
>> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
>> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
>> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
>> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
>> added security.
>>
>> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
>> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
>> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>>
>> Looking through options for the Mac, Nord would be possible - as would
>> Surfshark (also at <£2/mo.). I dont want any of the free ones for the
>> obvious reasons and many of the others cost a lot more - but offer more
>> "features" for more professional users of course - which I dont believe
>> I need for my modest usage, and that Nord/SS would cover everything I need.
>>
>> All that said... can anyone comment from personal experience on those
>> two preferred options running on OS/iOS - or offer any alternatives at a
>> similar price? Any gotchas or obvious missing features or other things
>> to be aware of?
>
> I wonder if Private Relay might meet your needs but you’ll need an iCloud+
> sub which was from 79p per month.
>
> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT212614>
>
> But of course there are restrictions which make it less useful than VPN
> such as it only works with Safari :(
>
> <https://iboysoft.com/amp/wiki/icloud-private-relay.html#icloud-private-relay-vs.-vpn>

Full description of private relay is
<https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/iCloud_Private_Relay_Overview_Dec2021.PDF>

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<ke32jqF981aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16476&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16476

From: daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 4 Jun 2023 09:08:11 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 09:08 UTC

On 31 May 2023 at 14:33:49 BST, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>
> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
> added security.
>
> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.

I used Nord VPN for three years, on both macOS and iOS, mainly to watch
Italian television coverage of the Tour and the Giro. Also occasionally to use
the BFI player when I am out of the UK (you know, for those occasions when one
must simply watch a Werner Herzog documentary or somesuch).

It worked pretty well.

I started using GhostVPN last month because I was so irritated by Nord VPN's
fake amazing discount pricing and the urgent buy-it-now exhortations that
accompanied it. Ghost VPN isn't really much better though. VPNs seem to occupy
the same bullshit marketing and sales space as hotel booking websites.

However, it too seems to work well enough on macOS, I haven't tried it on iOS
yet.

Daniele

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<u5ho22$3u639$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16477&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16477

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:12:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:12 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 31 May 2023 at 14:33:49 BST, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I used to have a Citrix VPN from my employer back in the day and all was
>> good. Now I am retired and without, I feel I should have one after all.
>>
>> Its not required now for moving quantities of sensitive data or secret
>> conferences, etc (those days are over!) - its that I have lost the
>> ability to connect consistently well to certain offshore sites for
>> connecting to Netflix, Prime, Sports streams, etc. I also value the
>> added security.
>>
>> My pals all use Nord VPN as it has a cheaper option (~£2/month) and all
>> works fine for them - but they are all exclusively Windows/Android
>> users. Whereas, I am MacBooks/iPhones/iPads only.
>
> I used Nord VPN for three years, on both macOS and iOS, mainly to watch
> Italian television coverage of the Tour and the Giro. Also occasionally to use
> the BFI player when I am out of the UK (you know, for those occasions when one
> must simply watch a Werner Herzog documentary or somesuch).
>
> It worked pretty well.
>
> I started using GhostVPN last month because I was so irritated by Nord VPN's
> fake amazing discount pricing and the urgent buy-it-now exhortations that
> accompanied it. Ghost VPN isn't really much better though. VPNs seem to occupy
> the same bullshit marketing and sales space as hotel booking websites.
>
> However, it too seems to work well enough on macOS, I haven't tried it on iOS
> yet.

I’ve seen good reports about TunnelBear. It works on both macOS, iOS and
iPadOS. Not the cheapest and it’s Canadian based which may be important to
some potential users.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<hzWhM.199207$HaOd.138468@fx12.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16575&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16575

From: alien@invalid.address (alien)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:22:21 GMT
 by: alien - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:22 UTC

On 31 May 2023 at 19:58:26 CEST, "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> one of the best.
>>
>> Thanks chaps. I had seen that - I have similar on Opera but didn't
>> install this on FF - which is my usual browser - as its $5/month - what
>> features does it have that makes it more than double Surfshark ?
>
> trustworthy.
>
> massive vpn comparison:
> <https://thatoneprivacysite.xyz>

Too bad they are planning to kill the port forward support, and the existing
one will be deleted on 2023-07-01
That is one of the features that I use to share my directory directly without
revealing my real IP address and without thinking about the port that I need
to set up.

I know Zerotier will do the same, but still, some of my friends like to have
fun if they are found my real IP address.

Oh well, now I have to set up Cloudflare and manually open and then port
forward it via my router, just for this purpose after Mullvad deletes the port
forward support.

It was so easy, but now I need to do extra work around it.

--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?

<1qc9g6v.4qzlmoytyd4lN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16577&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16577

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 11:08:10 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:08 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > one of the best.
> >
> > Thanks chaps. I had seen that - I have similar on Opera but didn't
> > install this on FF - which is my usual browser - as its $5/month - what
> > features does it have that makes it more than double Surfshark ?
>
> trustworthy.
>
> massive vpn comparison:
> <https://thatoneprivacysite.xyz>

"Sheet last updated 12/19/2019"

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: A good low cost VPN for MacOS/iOS ?