From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: New Kit Recommendations?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 07:24:59 +0800
 by: Boots - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 23:24 UTC

Took a run down to KL to visit my BiL for a couple of days. While I'll usually
got for the totally safe t-shirt and shorts when riding around the island I try
to be good and put on my fabric Alpinestars kit having shipped it a few years
back. Think I bought it around 2013 approx. so albeit stored for a a couple of
years before I brought it over it is now a decade old and is 1) no longer
totally waterproof, despite dousing with silicone spray and 2) more to the point
it is way way to big as I am no longer as fat as I was and I'd initially bought
oversized to squeeze jumpers and other thermal protection on beneath it for my
commute. Its other major failing hit me yet again on the way down I was seeing
37c as the air temp and while maintaining a reasonable speed on the highway it
is still a bit boil in the bag experience and yes the lining is out.

I am thinking it is time to buy something more my current size and more suited,
I know it is a bit of a niche that will not apart from a few month apply to the
UK but any thoughts on kit to stay less cooked in or even cool. I'll still need
to find something waterproof as when it rains it can really chuck it down[1].
I'll look locally but I am back for a few weeks in a couple of months so can
also check out in the UK.

[1] There's storm shelters every so often on the major roads and the locals who
mostly ride small bike will take shelter when it pelts down, I usually keep on
going.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: New Kit Recommendations?

<XnsB02CEE3A6FA7wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16586&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16586

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: New Kit Recommendations?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 00:27:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 00:27 UTC

Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote in

> [snip]

we had 43C in Luxembourg in 2019 so it's getting melty here at times

you have 2 choices if you want protection from impact or abrasion

waterproof: laminated Goretex with vents - once very pricey from the likes
of Rukka, some really good mid-price stuff available now

breezier: mesh gear then use a 2 piece oversuit if it gets wet. Again, once
pricey stuuf but the mid-brand stuff is plentiful now

base layers are essential to wick sweat, plus you can get half a litre of
cilled water from a petrol station and soak them to aid cooling through
evaporation

when I go to Spain, I have tended to compromise. Wear Rukka Goretex
trousers and a Rukka Airall mesh jacket and add a Richa over jacket if
needed.

I have recently acquired soem Oxford mesh trousers so they are getting
tested tomorrow when I ride to Shropshire in mid 20Cs

Drink plenty of course. The more the air flow, the more sweat evaporates,
the more you dehydrate.

Re: New Kit Recommendations?

<qm9fmj-c45.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16587&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16587

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:39:06 +0800
 by: Boots - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 01:39 UTC

On 23/06/2023 08:27 wessie penned these words:
> Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> [snip]
>
> we had 43C in Luxembourg in 2019 so it's getting melty here at times

Luckily not that much TBF 37 is unusually warm normally hovers around 32/33.

> you have 2 choices if you want protection from impact or abrasion
>
> waterproof: laminated Goretex with vents - once very pricey from the likes
> of Rukka, some really good mid-price stuff available now

Think will be too heavy, similar to the current kit

> breezier: mesh gear then use a 2 piece oversuit if it gets wet. Again, once
> pricey stuuf but the mid-brand stuff is plentiful now

Timo mentioned mesh elsewhere. I'll see what is available locally, there's a
fairly comprehensive shop on the mainland. I have a Givi rainsuit that can be
pressed into service over the top.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: New Kit Recommendations?

<g4ka9iho1uvpen5eklh403o6r4vfmbe5be@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16588&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16588

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:02:40 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:02 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jun 2023 07:24:59 +0800, Boots
<news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:

>Took a run down to KL to visit my BiL for a couple of days. While I'll usually
>got for the totally safe t-shirt and shorts when riding around the island I try
>to be good and put on my fabric Alpinestars kit having shipped it a few years
>back. Think I bought it around 2013 approx. so albeit stored for a a couple of
>years before I brought it over it is now a decade old and is 1) no longer
>totally waterproof, despite dousing with silicone spray and 2) more to the point
>it is way way to big as I am no longer as fat as I was and I'd initially bought
>oversized to squeeze jumpers and other thermal protection on beneath it for my
>commute. Its other major failing hit me yet again on the way down I was seeing
>37c as the air temp and while maintaining a reasonable speed on the highway it
>is still a bit boil in the bag experience and yes the lining is out.
>
>I am thinking it is time to buy something more my current size and more suited,
>I know it is a bit of a niche that will not apart from a few month apply to the
>UK but any thoughts on kit to stay less cooked in or even cool. I'll still need
>to find something waterproof as when it rains it can really chuck it down[1].
>I'll look locally but I am back for a few weeks in a couple of months so can
>also check out in the UK.
>
>[1] There's storm shelters every so often on the major roads and the locals who
>mostly ride small bike will take shelter when it pelts down, I usually keep on
>going.

You need to decide where you stand on the trade-off between how much
you want to pay, how much protection you want, how cool you really
need to keep and whether or not you want to be stopping to fit
waterproof layers if rain is coming on (I don't).

Personally, when over here, I'd arrange a visit to Motolegends.
https://www.motolegends.com/customer-service/motolegends-shop

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: New Kit Recommendations?

<611gmj-it4.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16589&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16589

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:17:10 +0800
 by: Boots - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:17 UTC

On 23/06/2023 16:02 Colin Irvine penned these words:
> You need to decide where you stand on the trade-off between how much
> you want to pay, how much protection you want, how cool you really
> need to keep and whether or not you want to be stopping to fit
> waterproof layers if rain is coming on (I don't).

Thanks. I guess keeping cool trumps the faff of putting on an oversuit, on the
highway. I shall probably first instance check out
https://shopee.com.my/dc.biker I bought my current flip-lid from there, on the
main land so maybe 45 minutes.

> Personally, when over here, I'd arrange a visit to Motolegends.
> https://www.motolegends.com/customer-service/motolegends-shop

Good call they're about 1 mile from my mother's place, I have bought stuff there
before and we're back for a visit in in August.