From: alien@invalid.address (alien)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Interesting video about SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 00:47:42 GMT
 by: alien - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 00:47 UTC

I found an interesting video about Mac SSD, which made me understand the
soldered SSD on Mac. I know someday I will replace my SSD, but by the look of
it. Maybe for me, replacing the whole Mac may be a better option.

Replace EVERY DEAD SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac, BONUS:M1 Ultra
(FOR DUDES IN DENIAL)

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7m4aUxHcM>

I think it will interest you too.

--
-alien-
~ Work like you don't need the money. ~

Re: Interesting video about SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac

<EkC*zwZiz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16670&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16670

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 16 Jun 2023 22:38:46 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 21:38 UTC

alien <alien@invalid.address> wrote:
> I found an interesting video about Mac SSD, which made me understand the
> soldered SSD on Mac. I know someday I will replace my SSD, but by the look of
> it. Maybe for me, replacing the whole Mac may be a better option.
>
> Replace EVERY DEAD SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac, BONUS:M1 Ultra
> (FOR DUDES IN DENIAL)

Thanks, he has some interesting videos.

He makes a good point that all SSDs will eventually fail, because they have
a limited number of write cycles. This can be especially problematic on low
end machines which have small SSDs with fewer write cycles, and low memory
which causes them to swap to SSD more often (eating up those write cycles).

Apple soldering the SSD is just as much a crime as making batteries
unreplaceable, because it means the Mac is then disposable when it runs out
of write cycles, even though you might have paid a high price for it.

Meanwhile almost every other machine has the storage on a removable drive
that can often be swapped in a few minutes if it fails.

And that's before the radical idea that you can just buy a bigger SSD when
you run out of space.

Theo

Re: Interesting video about SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac

<160620231749584006%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16673&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16673

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:49:58 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 21:49 UTC

In article <EkC*zwZiz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> He makes a good point that all SSDs will eventually fail, because they have
> a limited number of write cycles. This can be especially problematic on low
> end machines which have small SSDs with fewer write cycles, and low memory
> which causes them to swap to SSD more often (eating up those write cycles).

hard drives will eventually fail, and sooner than ssds.

> Apple soldering the SSD is just as much a crime as making batteries
> unreplaceable, because it means the Mac is then disposable when it runs out
> of write cycles, even though you might have paid a high price for it.

not at all, since both the ssd and battery will generally outlast the
useful life of the device. in other words, someone will want to buy a
new computer/phone/etc. because the new one is faster, has new
features, etc., not because the ssd or battery failed.

also, batteries are replaceable, it just takes a screwdriver rather
than a fingernail, and for something that's done maybe once in the
device's lifetime, that's not in any way an obstacle, let alone a
'crime'.

> Meanwhile almost every other machine has the storage on a removable drive
> that can often be swapped in a few minutes if it fails.

except it's slower and not encrypted.

> And that's before the radical idea that you can just buy a bigger SSD when
> you run out of space.

you can still do that, it's just external.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Interesting video about SSD for M1 Max, M1 Pro, M1 & T2 Mac, T1 Mac