Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in. -- Evan Davis

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Fucking oxymoron.

SubjectAuthor
* Fucking oxymoron.Stephen Packer
`* Fucking oxymoron.Pipl
 `* Fucking oxymoron.Mark Olson
  +* Fucking oxymoron.Pete Fisher
  |+* Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  ||`* Fucking oxymoron.Pete Fisher
  || `- Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  |+* Fucking oxymoron.Turby
  ||`* Fucking oxymoron.Boots
  || `* Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  ||  `* Fucking oxymoron.Pete Fisher
  ||   +- Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  ||   `- Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  |`* Fucking oxymoron.siwilson
  | `* Fucking oxymoron.Pete Fisher
  |  `* Fucking oxymoron.siwilson
  |   `* Fucking oxymoron.Pete Fisher
  |    `* Fucking oxymoron.Pipl
  |     `* Fucking oxymoron.Alan Lee
  |      `* Fucking oxymoron.YTC#1
  |       `* Fucking oxymoron.Alan Lee
  |        `* Fucking oxymoron.Ace
  |         +- Fucking oxymoron.Stephen Packer
  |         `- Fucking oxymoron.Hog
  +* Fucking oxymoron.Higgins
  |`- Fucking oxymoron.RustyHinge
  `- Fucking oxymoron.Pipl

Pages:12
Fucking oxymoron.

<d8803c76-6409-4d48-9634-1faf44e6119cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16678&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16678

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:17:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fucking oxymoron.
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 12:17 UTC

When on my short holiday... I stopped in a hotel in Saarbrucken and there was a heavily stickered bike that seemed to have gone *everywhere* at least according to the stickers- all over the states and Europe.

It was a large fully faired Victory.

I've just done a bit of googling (I write a journal based on notes/pictures/GPS tracks from the trips I do; something to read in my dotage)... and it seems it's a Victory Vision Tour. Some big 1700cc behemoth.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/victory/vision/2008/

Here's the strange thing; it's called 'tour' and yet...

37mpg...
2,500 mile service intervals.

I don't think it's a serious touring bike.

It's also not made anymore and spares support could run out in
five years or so... Oh well, good job I wasn't attracted to them.

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<li7eait5al9i5ei35msa4svt1ucm940j20@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16725&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16725

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Fucking oxymoron.
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 21:10:45 +0100
 by: Pipl - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:10 UTC

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:17:02 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Packer
<stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote:

>When on my short holiday... I stopped in a hotel in Saarbrucken and there was a heavily stickered bike that seemed to have gone *everywhere* at least according to the stickers- all over the states and Europe.
>
>It was a large fully faired Victory.
>
>I've just done a bit of googling (I write a journal based on notes/pictures/GPS tracks from the trips I do; something to read in my dotage)... and it seems it's a Victory Vision Tour. Some big 1700cc behemoth.
>
>https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/victory/vision/2008/
>
>Here's the strange thing; it's called 'tour' and yet...
>
>37mpg...
>2,500 mile service intervals.
>
>I don't think it's a serious touring bike.
>
>It's also not made anymore and spares support could run out in
>five years or so... Oh well, good job I wasn't attracted to them.

I was just looking up Victory motorcycles: I was passed ay the lights
by what might have been one yesterday. I should say that I was on a
shopping run on the Guzzi and wasn't in any hurry.

It was ridden by a bloke with cut-off-ish and "MC" patch. He pulled up
alongside and just ahead of me, then swivelled around and fixed me
with a full-face helmet stare. I gave an affable nod, he nodded and
turned away. When the lights changed, he roared off.

Anyway, I can't find the model, possibly it has an aftermarket
fairing, but the Victory website doesn't actually list their models,
though it does (I was inpressed to find) offer service manuals, which
other manufacturers don't.

--

-Pip

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u87fts$128ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16728&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16728

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:41:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:41 UTC

Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:

> I was just looking up Victory motorcycles: I was passed ay the lights
> by what might have been one yesterday. I should say that I was on a
> shopping run on the Guzzi and wasn't in any hurry.
>
> It was ridden by a bloke with cut-off-ish and "MC" patch. He pulled up
> alongside and just ahead of me, then swivelled around and fixed me
> with a full-face helmet stare. I gave an affable nod, he nodded and
> turned away. When the lights changed, he roared off.
>
> Anyway, I can't find the model, possibly it has an aftermarket
> fairing, but the Victory website doesn't actually list their models,
> though it does (I was inpressed to find) offer service manuals, which
> other manufacturers don't.

Since they're no longer being produced, it's the least they can do
to support the poor sods who bought one before they knew Polaris was
going to bin the Victory brand.

Understandable that they chose to put all their motorcycle efforts
into the Indian brand, but they probably managed to alienate a good
percentage of their possible market by abandoning the Victory marque.

I've seen a few in the flesh and they're definitely not to my taste.
I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
and lighter models.

Doesn't hurt their chances that Polaris (parent of Victory and Indian)
is a Minnesota based company.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kgpm2qFlmenU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16731&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16731

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 06:27:56 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:27 UTC

On 06/07/2023 23:41, Mark Olson wrote:
> Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was just looking up Victory motorcycles: I was passed ay the lights
>> by what might have been one yesterday. I should say that I was on a
>> shopping run on the Guzzi and wasn't in any hurry.
>>
>> It was ridden by a bloke with cut-off-ish and "MC" patch. He pulled up
>> alongside and just ahead of me, then swivelled around and fixed me
>> with a full-face helmet stare. I gave an affable nod, he nodded and
>> turned away. When the lights changed, he roared off.
>>
>> Anyway, I can't find the model, possibly it has an aftermarket
>> fairing, but the Victory website doesn't actually list their models,
>> though it does (I was inpressed to find) offer service manuals, which
>> other manufacturers don't.
>
> Since they're no longer being produced, it's the least they can do
> to support the poor sods who bought one before they knew Polaris was
> going to bin the Victory brand.
>
> Understandable that they chose to put all their motorcycle efforts
> into the Indian brand, but they probably managed to alienate a good
> percentage of their possible market by abandoning the Victory marque.
>
> I've seen a few in the flesh and they're definitely not to my taste.
> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
> and lighter models.
>
> Doesn't hurt their chances that Polaris (parent of Victory and Indian)
> is a Minnesota based company.

Our local Indian dealer used to be one of the few official modern Moto
Morini dealers in the UK. Always seemed incongruous having Corsaros next
to full on cruisers.

Smaller and lighter is a pattern that emerges. I'm envious of Colin
Irvine and Turby who can still maneouvre a big road bike at pretty much
the same age as me. They do have the advantage of not being vertically
challenged though.

Ride a bike night at the local VMCC section this week. There was a
lovely Vincent but the owner rode off on it very gingerly. Then it would
be worth HFM with knobs on.

I stood by ready to 'catch' while another member got his Guzzi single
(Nouvo Falcone) off the centre stand as it was sideways on a bit of a slope.

A very eclectic mix of machines from a 1920's AJS to a Suzuki RGV250.

My steed for the massive 8 mile round trip was the 1957 Gilera 175. 104
Kgs and wonderfully low seat height. Only downside is kickstart, but at
least it is on the correct side, oh and the 'Sport' handlebars are a bit
hard on the neck and shoulders.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u88eut$18pi2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16732&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16732

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:30:37 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 07:30 UTC

On 07/07/2023 06:27, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 06/07/2023 23:41, Mark Olson wrote:
>> Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I was just looking up Victory motorcycles: I was passed ay the lights
>>> by what might have been one yesterday. I should say that I was on a
>>> shopping run on the Guzzi and wasn't in any hurry.
>>>
>>> It was ridden by a bloke with cut-off-ish and "MC" patch. He pulled up
>>> alongside and just ahead of me, then swivelled around and fixed me
>>> with a full-face helmet stare. I gave an affable nod, he nodded and
>>> turned away. When the lights changed, he roared off.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I can't find the model, possibly it has an aftermarket
>>> fairing, but the Victory website doesn't actually list their models,
>>> though it does (I was inpressed to find) offer service manuals, which
>>> other manufacturers don't.
>>
>> Since they're no longer being produced, it's the least they can do
>> to support the poor sods who bought one before they knew Polaris was
>> going to bin the Victory brand.
>>
>> Understandable that they chose to put all their motorcycle efforts
>> into the Indian brand, but they probably managed to alienate a good
>> percentage of their possible market by abandoning the Victory marque.
>>
>> I've seen a few in the flesh and they're definitely not to my taste.
>> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
>> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
>> and lighter models.
>>
>> Doesn't hurt their chances that Polaris (parent of Victory and Indian)
>> is  a Minnesota based company.
>>

> Our local Indian dealer used to be one of the few official modern Moto
> Morini dealers in the UK. Always seemed incongruous having Corsaros next
> to full on cruisers.
>
> Smaller and lighter is a pattern that emerges. I'm envious of Colin
> Irvine and Turby who can still maneouvre a big road bike at pretty much
> the same age as me. They do have the advantage of not being vertically
> challenged though.
>
> Ride a bike night at the local VMCC section this week. There was a
> lovely Vincent but the owner rode off on it very gingerly. Then it would
> be worth HFM with knobs on.
>
> I stood by ready to 'catch' while another member got his Guzzi single
> (Nouvo Falcone) off the centre stand as it was sideways on a bit of a
> slope.
>
> A very eclectic mix of machines from a 1920's AJS to a Suzuki RGV250.
>
> My steed for the massive 8 mile round trip was the 1957 Gilera 175. 104
> Kgs and wonderfully low seat height. Only downside is kickstart, but at
> least it is on the correct side, oh and the 'Sport' handlebars are a bit
> hard on the neck and shoulders.

Sob! If only...

How much was a pre-loved Vincent Black Lightning around 1959? How much now?

I remember one in 1959 that cost £90. 10 years ago I knew where it was.

Whonose how much you could flog it for today?

If I still had all the SOBs and better than S OBs I've had I could
retire. Oops! I retired years ago...

I'll have one of the Mk series Douggies for shopping and fetch and carry
- the one with the Watsonian Scooter box sidecar on, a pre-war MSS for
longer unencumbered trips, a Clubman's Venom for a bit of swank, the Vin
for a lot more swank and the D1 Bantam for just knocking about on.

Not much to ask. I'm more likely to get the moon though.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kgpu1qFn2ubU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16733&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16733

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:43:56 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 07:43 UTC

On 07/07/2023 08:30, RustyHinge wrote:

> I'll have one of the Mk series Douggies for shopping and fetch and carry
> - the one with the Watsonian Scooter box sidecar on, a pre-war MSS for
> longer unencumbered trips, a Clubman's Venom for a bit of swank, the Vin
> for a lot more swank and the D1 Bantam for just knocking about on.
>
> Not much to ask. I'm more likely to get the moon though.

I thought it was mandatory back in the day for all Vincent owners to
also have a Bantam to go to club nights on.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u88htm$194h2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16734&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16734

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:21:10 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:21 UTC

On 07/07/2023 08:43, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 07/07/2023 08:30, RustyHinge wrote:
>

>> I'll have one of the Mk series Douggies for shopping and fetch and
>> carry - the one with the Watsonian Scooter box sidecar on, a pre-war
>> MSS for longer unencumbered trips, a Clubman's Venom for a bit of
>> swank, the Vin for a lot more swank and the D1 Bantam for just
>> knocking about on.
>>
>> Not much to ask. I'm more likely to get the moon though.
>>

> I thought it was mandatory back in the day for all Vincent owners to
> also have a Bantam to go to club nights on.

NAFAIK - the forecourt of the pub meets in our area was always littered
with big Vins, and at the Greyhound in Childerditch the car-park at the
public bar end was strictly segregated - you could park a Vin there, a
Gold Star, Douglas, Velo, (not Velo Solex), BMW, Rumi, Brough Superior,
or similar, and my Matchless and AJSs were tolerated, but Lambruscos and
mopheads and Vespests - "Take that heap of junk up that end..."

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u88jjb$19ajm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16735&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16735

From: the.best.names.are.gone@gmail.com (Higgins)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:49:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jJ34OoMdQc1q4yGBrFGpG5NLwmM=
 by: Higgins - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:49 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
> and lighter models.

I was briefly taken with the notion of buying something completely
different and had a look at Indian. “Lighter” is very much a relative term
for them.

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u88psl$1a2bv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16737&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16737

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:37:07 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:37 UTC

On 07/07/2023 09:49, Higgins wrote:
> Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
>> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
>> and lighter models.
>>

> I was briefly taken with the notion of buying something completely
> different and had a look at Indian. “Lighter” is very much a relative term
> for them.

Royal Enfield used to ake some much lighter unit construction'bikes
which were exported and badged as Indians: later ones than the Enfields
which ended-up being made in India..

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u3lgai569ct76i408q868su9q648hoa38r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16739&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16739

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 19:08:39 +0100
 by: Pipl - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:08 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:41:00 -0000 (UTC), Mark Olson
<olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

>Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was just looking up Victory motorcycles: I was passed ay the lights
>> by what might have been one yesterday. I should say that I was on a
>> shopping run on the Guzzi and wasn't in any hurry.
>>
>> It was ridden by a bloke with cut-off-ish and "MC" patch. He pulled up
>> alongside and just ahead of me, then swivelled around and fixed me
>> with a full-face helmet stare. I gave an affable nod, he nodded and
>> turned away. When the lights changed, he roared off.
>>
>> Anyway, I can't find the model, possibly it has an aftermarket
>> fairing, but the Victory website doesn't actually list their models,
>> though it does (I was inpressed to find) offer service manuals, which
>> other manufacturers don't.
>
>Since they're no longer being produced,

Aah, that explains it. I did see "Polaris" prominent on the website.

--

-Pip

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u8eu4p$26toc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16762&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16762

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 11:26:32 -0700
 by: Turby - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 18:26 UTC

On 7/6/2023 10:27 PM, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 06/07/2023 23:41, Mark Olson wrote:
>>

>> I've seen a few in the flesh and they're definitely not to my taste.
>> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
>> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
>> and lighter models.
>>

> Smaller and lighter is a pattern that emerges. I'm envious of Colin
> Irvine and Turby who can still maneouvre a big road bike at pretty much
> the same age as me. They do have the advantage of not being vertically
> challenged though.

I just measured the height of the saddle on the BMWGS that I rescued
from a friend. 36" when parked on its side stand. Thirty six inches! Who
wouldn't be vertically challenged on a bike that tall? (It's the bike he
rode from California to the tip of Argentina and back and he's only ~5'10".)

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kh822dFpmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16780&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16780

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:18:20 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 16:18 UTC

On 07/07/2023 06:27, Pete Fisher wrote:

<snip>

Talking of Indians, someone rode up to Loton park from Leicester on an
Indian "something or other".

And then proceeded to whoop both me *and* the current road legal
champion riding up the hill. He'd never ridden there before.

Different story after it rained, but, the damage was already done as we
only got three runs.

--
/Simon

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kh86nfF2qs4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16781&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16781

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 18:37:51 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:37 UTC

On 12/07/2023 17:18, siwilson wrote:
> On 07/07/2023 06:27, Pete Fisher wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Talking of Indians, someone rode up to Loton park from Leicester on an
> Indian "something or other".
>
> And then proceeded to whoop both me *and* the current road legal
> champion riding up the hill. He'd never ridden there before.
>
> Different story after it rained, but, the damage was already done as we
> only got three runs.

<Googles>

FTR surely? Probably quite torquey in straight line.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/ftr-family/

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kh8itcF4no6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16782&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16782

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:05:49 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:05 UTC

On 12/07/2023 18:37, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 17:18, siwilson wrote:
>> On 07/07/2023 06:27, Pete Fisher wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Talking of Indians, someone rode up to Loton park from Leicester on an
>> Indian "something or other".
>>
>> And then proceeded to whoop both me *and* the current road legal
>> champion riding up the hill. He'd never ridden there before.
>>
>> Different story after it rained, but, the damage was already done as
>> we only got three runs.
>>

> <Googles>
>
> FTR surely? Probably quite torquey in straight line.
>
> https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/ftr-family/

Yep, it looked like that. My initial thought was that it would weigh
about 3 tons and have the turning circle of an oil tanker. But I guess not.

--
/Simon

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<kh9fuaF9160U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16784&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16784

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:21:15 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:21 UTC

On 12/07/2023 22:05, siwilson wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 18:37, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> On 12/07/2023 17:18, siwilson wrote:
>>> On 07/07/2023 06:27, Pete Fisher wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Talking of Indians, someone rode up to Loton park from Leicester on
>>> an Indian "something or other".
>>>
>>> And then proceeded to whoop both me *and* the current road legal
>>> champion riding up the hill. He'd never ridden there before.
>>>
>>> Different story after it rained, but, the damage was already done as
>>> we only got three runs.
>>>

>> <Googles>
>>
>> FTR surely? Probably quite torquey in straight line.
>>
>> https://www.indianmotorcycle.co.uk/ftr-family/
>>

> Yep, it looked like that. My initial thought was that it would weigh
> about 3 tons and have the turning circle of an oil tanker. But I guess not.

Jim Rolt always used to go surprisingly well on his HD.
--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<8as4bid287frgr90uredeava92in5e7hg1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16791&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16791

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 11:14:15 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 10:14 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:21:15 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Jim Rolt always used to go surprisingly well on his HD.

Other than rader skill, I suspect tractability of the engine has a lot
to do with that.

--

-Pip

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u8u2je$cp4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16792&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16792

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:14:38 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 12:14 UTC

On 15/07/2023 11:14, Pipl wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:21:15 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Jim Rolt always used to go surprisingly well on his HD.
>
> Other than rader skill, I suspect tractability of the engine has a lot
> to do with that.

My mate hired a HD when he did a USA West Coast tour. He hates them,
but, being as he was in the US, he thought he'd try one. He said he was
quite surprised at how good they are up 50mph, easily as fast as his UK
bike, but after 50mph, they die a bit, and trying to overtake at 70mph,
2 up with luggage was a bit scary, as he expected it to pick up,but it
didnt.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u8u6tl$d6ub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16795&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16795

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:28:18 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:28 UTC

On 15/07/2023 13:14, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 15/07/2023 11:14, Pipl wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 06:21:15 +0100, Pete Fisher
>> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Jim Rolt always used to go surprisingly well on his HD.
>>
>> Other than rader skill, I suspect tractability of the engine has a lot
Did he scan well?[1]
>> to do with that.
>
> My mate hired a HD when he did a USA West Coast tour. He hates them,
> but, being as he was in the US, he thought he'd try one. He said he was
> quite surprised at how good they are up 50mph, easily as fast as his UK
> bike, but after 50mph, they die a bit, and trying to overtake at 70mph,
> 2 up with luggage was a bit scary, as he expected it to pick up,but it
> didnt.

Did he not try corners? (they have some decent roads), the boards scrape
...... a lot!

[1] Yeah, over reading the typo

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u8ub4n$dl37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16796&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16796

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:40:23 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 14:40 UTC

On 15/07/2023 14:28, YTC#1 wrote
> On 15/07/2023 13:14, Alan Lee wrote:

>> My mate hired a HD ..
> Did he not try corners? (they have some decent roads), the boards scrape
> ..... a lot!

Yes, that was also mentioned. Scary, were his words. It was the touring
version, said it was great on the long straight roads, but anything with
bends, it'd be horrible if he forgot what he was on. And he only tried
it once, an overtake at 70mph, that was scary, as it just wouldnt
accelerate fast enough.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<0thbbild36ot3hq57phgoj9jgeguglgmkm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16810&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16810

From: Ace@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 01:05:00 +0200
References: <d8803c76-6409-4d48-9634-1faf44e6119cn@googlegroups.com> <li7eait5al9i5ei35msa4svt1ucm940j20@4ax.com> <u87fts$128ue$1@dont-email.me> <kgpm2qFlmenU1@mid.individual.net> <kh822dFpmmU1@mid.individual.net> <kh86nfF2qs4U1@mid.individual.net> <kh8itcF4no6U1@mid.individual.net> <kh9fuaF9160U1@mid.individual.net> <8as4bid287frgr90uredeava92in5e7hg1@4ax.com> <u8u2je$cp4u$1@dont-email.me> <u8u6tl$d6ub$1@dont-email.me> <u8ub4n$dl37$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ace - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 23:05 UTC

On Sat, 15 Jul 2023 15:40:23 +0100, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com>
wrote:

>On 15/07/2023 14:28, YTC#1 wrote
>> On 15/07/2023 13:14, Alan Lee wrote:
>
>>> My mate hired a HD ..
>> Did he not try corners? (they have some decent roads), the boards scrape
>> ..... a lot!
>
>Yes, that was also mentioned. Scary, were his words. It was the touring
>version, said it was great on the long straight roads, but anything with
>bends, it'd be horrible if he forgot what he was on. And he only tried
>it once, an overtake at 70mph, that was scary, as it just wouldnt
>accelerate fast enough.

I recall being overtaken by a hardly rider once. Up in the Vosges,
where I'd swapped my gixxer thou for Ginge's ZXR1300 with Fluffycat on
the back. I was being suitably cautious, by my standards, but I was
quite impressed anyway. The bike was a minimalist stripepd down
jobbie, looked quite nice actually.

Ginge, on my gixxer, was... well, you don't really need to guess where
Ginge was.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<0c1fd0a9-6951-465d-bc7c-247acf3c2eadn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16814&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16814

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 01:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 08:03 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 00:05:04 UTC+1, Ace wrote:

> I recall being overtaken by a hardly rider once. Up in the Vosges,
> where I'd swapped my gixxer thou for Ginge's ZXR1300 with Fluffycat on
> the back. I was being suitably cautious, by my standards, but I was
> quite impressed anyway. The bike was a minimalist stripepd down
> jobbie, looked quite nice actually.

I was overtaken by one in Romania. I was at the bottom of the
Transfagarasan, probably heading in the wrong direction and
looking for a turning. Cunt passed me with mm to spare. Utter
wanker, big white thing.

It was moving though. Later on that day I followed one filtering
though heavy traffic (caused by quite a nasty accident). Again,
the bike had plenty of go in it.

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<c69b64fd-a24d-4758-bdad-f6062f033fa2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16842&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16842

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:26:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: york996@gmail.com (Hog)
 by: Hog - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:26 UTC

On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 00:05:04 UTC+1, Ace wrote:

> Ginge, on my gixxer, was... well, you don't really need to guess where
> Ginge was.

Awww bless him, quite disconcerting to ride behind as he flew along the straights but braked hard for every corner.

But we misses it all anyways

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u85uoj-ns3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16886&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16886

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 07:27:58 +0800
 by: Boots - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 23:27 UTC

On 10/07/2023 02:26 Turby penned these words:
> On 7/6/2023 10:27 PM, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> On 06/07/2023 23:41, Mark Olson wrote:
>>>

>>> I've seen a few in the flesh and they're definitely not to my taste.
>>> I *might* possibly see my way clear to owning an Indian at some point,
>>> but as I get older I'm probably only going to be looking at smaller
>>> and lighter models.
>>>

>> Smaller and lighter is a pattern that emerges. I'm envious of Colin
>> Irvine and Turby who can still maneouvre a big road bike at pretty much
>> the same age as me. They do have the advantage of not being vertically
>> challenged though.
>>
> I just measured the height of the saddle on the BMWGS that I rescued
> from a friend. 36" when parked on its side stand. Thirty six inches! Who
> wouldn't be vertically challenged on a bike that tall? (It's the bike he
> rode from California to the tip of Argentina and back and he's only ~5'10".)

Made me check mine, F800GS it has always seemed way tall, holding it vertical I
make it 895mm to the riders seat, pillion is obviously higher. That's just over 35"
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<u9i2of$4o29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16889&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16889

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 03:19:58 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 02:19 UTC

On 23/07/2023 00:27, Boots wrote:
> On 10/07/2023 02:26 Turby penned these words:

>>> Smaller and lighter is a pattern that emerges. I'm envious of Colin
>>> Irvine and Turby who can still maneouvre a big road bike at pretty much
>>> the same age as me. They do have the advantage of not being vertically
>>> challenged though.
>>>
>> I just measured the height of the saddle on the BMWGS that I rescued
>> from a friend. 36" when parked on its side stand. Thirty six inches! Who
>> wouldn't be vertically challenged on a bike that tall? (It's the bike he
>> rode from California to the tip of Argentina and back and he's only ~5'10".)
>>

> Made me check mine, F800GS it has always seemed way tall, holding it vertical I
> make it 895mm to the riders seat, pillion is obviously higher. That's just over 35"

I might have a half-tidy Honda 250 RS up for grabs was in good running
order when stored and before I had the stroke.

It would not be horridly hard on the pocket.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Fucking oxymoron.

<ki3sjuFg2o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16891&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16891

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 06:37:02 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 05:37 UTC

On 23/07/2023 03:19, RustyHinge wrote:

> I might have a half-tidy Honda 250 RS up for grabs was in good running
> order when stored and before I had the stroke.
>
> It would not be horridly hard on the pocket.

Now he tells us!
Not electric start I guess. Then you probably already mentioned it.
Memories, lurk in (rather than light) the corners of my mind these days.

There was one in that London I was bidding on that had been stored in
good running order in 1983.

It will be for sale again next year as the owner mistakenly thought it
automatically had 'historic vehicle' status already. The 'winner' rocked
up with a helmet thinking they could ride it away.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"