From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: SO Car (MX5) for sale
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 07:27:37 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 06:27 UTC

<Spamming Mode>

I have to face the fact that I can no longer drive my MX5 in the manner
it was intended to be and it was accustomed to until I hit the three
quarter century. Just not got the bottle for hanging the back end out
these days. Plus hauling my ancient carcase in and out of a low 'sports'
car is becoming wearing on the dodgy hip (trapped nerve and
osteoarthritis). Also I struggle to get my fly fishing gear in without
risking damaging my 'heirloom' Hardys Richard Walker Superlight rod and
places I regularly visit these days have access tracks that are
challenging to a low slung undercarriage.

Anyone interested in a 1997 Mk1 MX5 1.8i. The chap that fitted a new
hood not long after i got it said it was a 'nice unmolested example'.
One of the last 1.8 NAs to be built.

Crusty round the edges and has had outer and inner sills welded. Never
resprayed.

128000 miles
Always run on Mobil 1 full synthetic since I acquired in in 2008.
Cambelt changed in 2020 at 126000. (Water pump was changed in 2009 at
last change and about 106000 miles).
Stainless exhaust system
Genuine Mazda clutch master and slave cylinders fitted last year.
Vredstein Sportrac tyres fitted 2020 to the very good (tyre fitter
quote) OEM alloy wheels.
MoT until October (only failed on wiper blades last year - you can see
that I spare no expense).

Possibly a suitable case for restoration, though it's a plain vanilla
version (so no ABS or power steering - a pure MX5 experience).

If you aren't interested, any clue as to a suitable starting price [1]
on Ebay (I will also advertise it on the MX5OC forum)?

[1] Assume I appreciate that one sucked Werthers is the default).

</SM>

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: SO Car (MX5) for sale

<u832ts$ejpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16690&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16690

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: SO Car (MX5) for sale
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 07:34:36 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 06:34 UTC

On 05/07/2023 07:27, Pete Fisher wrote:

> Anyone interested in a 1997 Mk1 MX5 1.8i. The chap that fitted a new
> hood not long after i got it said it was a 'nice unmolested example'.
> One of the last 1.8 NAs to be built.

> If you aren't interested, any clue as to a suitable starting price [1]
> on Ebay (I will also advertise it on the MX5OC forum)?

Anything from £1k to £5k. Not many have sold on ebay recently, probably
the asking prices were too much - a few were £6k for a 26yo car.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: SO Car (MX5) for sale

<kgn37nF1qkkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16707&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16707

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:53:58 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 05:53 UTC

On 05/07/2023 07:34, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 05/07/2023 07:27, Pete Fisher wrote:
>
>> Anyone interested in a 1997 Mk1 MX5 1.8i. The chap that fitted a new
>> hood not long after i got it said it was a 'nice unmolested example'.
>> One of the last 1.8 NAs to be built.
>
>> If you aren't interested, any clue as to a suitable starting price [1]
>> on Ebay (I will also advertise it on the MX5OC forum)?
>

> Anything from £1k to £5k. Not many have sold on ebay recently, probably
> the asking prices were too much -  a few were £6k for a 26yo car.

I noticed that. I think there is a market for extremely tidy limited
editions Mk1s. This isn't.

Anyway, I gave it a quick wash yesterday and it mostly scrubs up
surprisingly well. I suppose I'll do more of a deep clean and polish,
'valet' the inside and put a tentative post on the MX5OC forum.

What to replace it with is the other conundrum. A mildly warm hatch with
room for a dismantled Motolug trailer in the back seems sensible. Might
go automatic while I'm at it so that SWMBO can drive it and perhaps get
not arm and a leg insurance by adding it on to the Mazda 2 policy (of
which I am the policy holder).

The lad and SO both have Minis now. So sad that I can't quiz the late
Brownz on what to check out on a Hatch 1.5 Petrol Cooper (apart from the
infamous timing chain issues).