From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Paging Spacker Docs for SO Gilera
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:53:57 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 07:53 UTC

Apropos our chat at Shelsley. If you haven't found an alternative route see:

https://service.piaggiogroup.com/Vintage/richdetail.asp

The 'Basic Document' at 50 euros might satisfy the DVLA.

Never tried it myself but they did acknowledge a request for a workshop
manual for the 175. 70 euros seemed a bit steep when I could find a
'near enough' PDF on the interwebby.

The other route might be a chap called John Harding who seems to be able
to date certify most motorcycles. No idea of what he charges. You can
find his address by a Companies house search (Francis-Barnet Owners Club).

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Paging Spacker Docs for SO Gilera

<6fc3fe40-8c9c-44d2-949c-b7f8402f1271n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16764&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16764

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 05:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Paging Spacker Docs for SO Gilera
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:43 UTC

On Monday, 10 July 2023 at 08:54:00 UTC+1, Pete Fisher wrote:
> Apropos our chat at Shelsley. If you haven't found an alternative route see:
>
> https://service.piaggiogroup.com/Vintage/richdetail.asp
>
> The 'Basic Document' at 50 euros might satisfy the DVLA.
>
> Never tried it myself but they did acknowledge a request for a workshop
> manual for the 175. 70 euros seemed a bit steep when I could find a
> 'near enough' PDF on the interwebby.
>

> The other route might be a chap called John Harding who seems to be able
> to date certify most motorcycles. No idea of what he charges. You can
> find his address by a Companies house search (Francis-Barnet Owners Club)..

Thank you.

Still sucking my teeth about whether putting a registration on a bike that may
well be used for unobtanium parts could be a waste of money...

For anyone interested; a year or so ago I dug two mopeds out from under a woodpile
in a shed (almost literally); they'd both been there since something like 1980-1982.

One, a Puch Grand Prix was still registered so was easily sold (non runner)

The other, a Gilera Trials moped had been declared as 'scrapped' to stop the
annual nag letters from the DVLA; maybe not the most sensible thing to do
(note, not done by me). It's a little battered but almost all there; it was my
younger brother's field bike when he was 13 or so, it's had a hard life. It
was running when it was put away but...

Despite having a number plate, DVLA deny all knowledge of the bike (it was
probably scrapped in 1979 or so). So I'm just wondering what's best to do with
it; I think I should have accepted the £300 I was offered by the buyer of the
Puch!

Re: Paging Spacker Docs for SO Gilera

<kh2f4tF3bosU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16765&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16765

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 14:24:46 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 13:24 UTC

On 10/07/2023 13:43, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Monday, 10 July 2023 at 08:54:00 UTC+1, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> Apropos our chat at Shelsley. If you haven't found an alternative route see:
>>
>> https://service.piaggiogroup.com/Vintage/richdetail.asp
>>
>> The 'Basic Document' at 50 euros might satisfy the DVLA.
>>
>> Never tried it myself but they did acknowledge a request for a workshop
>> manual for the 175. 70 euros seemed a bit steep when I could find a
>> 'near enough' PDF on the interwebby.
>>

>> The other route might be a chap called John Harding who seems to be able
>> to date certify most motorcycles. No idea of what he charges. You can
>> find his address by a Companies house search (Francis-Barnet Owners Club).
>
> Thank you.
>
> Still sucking my teeth about whether putting a registration on a bike that may
> well be used for unobtanium parts could be a waste of money...
>
> For anyone interested; a year or so ago I dug two mopeds out from under a woodpile
> in a shed (almost literally); they'd both been there since something like 1980-1982.
>
> One, a Puch Grand Prix was still registered so was easily sold (non runner)
>
> The other, a Gilera Trials moped had been declared as 'scrapped' to stop the
> annual nag letters from the DVLA; maybe not the most sensible thing to do
> (note, not done by me). It's a little battered but almost all there; it was my
> younger brother's field bike when he was 13 or so, it's had a hard life. It
> was running when it was put away but...
>
> Despite having a number plate, DVLA deny all knowledge of the bike (it was
> probably scrapped in 1979 or so). So I'm just wondering what's best to do with
> it; I think I should have accepted the £300 I was offered by the buyer of the
> Puch!

Some variants command what I would call silly money because they are
'rare'. They were decent little machines though.

Have you tried asking Uncle Bob Wright the Gilera parts supremo. He gave
me a ball park valuation figure for GFR#1 when I eventually wanted to
sell it. He also purchased a Gilera RC600 from an old pal who knew his
number was up. Saved his widow a lot of bother and I know he gave a fair
price. That was running and in very good order though.

The sum of the parts may well be more than the whole - though having
broken two Morinis I'm not up for the hassle of that game any more.

Someone trying to get 300 quid just for an engine (without cylinder
piston and head as far as I can tell).

I reckon the first offer I had and declined for the SO MX5 was from a
breaker looking at what the Ebay member sells. I reckon he wanted the
OEM wheels with virtually unworn Vredstein Sportrac 5s and the new
starter motor (plus other still usable but perhaps not easy to find
'original' parts. Bid nearly the reserve then though, so perhaps an
enthusiast looking for a track car project.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Paging Spacker Docs for SO Gilera

<u8h8b4$2iguc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16766&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16766

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:32:50 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 15:32 UTC

On 10/07/2023 13:43, Stephen Packer wrote:
> Despite having a number plate, DVLA deny all knowledge of the bike (it was
> probably scrapped in 1979 or so). So I'm just wondering what's best to do with
> it;

I've not done it for a number of years, but when I last did it, the bike
needed to be MOT'd, the Reg. No. was recorded as the frame number.(over
40yos dont need an MOT now, so dont know what happens with that now).
I then had to get it inspected by a DVLA inspector, who wanted proof of
its age, I had a book with me that listed the frame and engine numbers
with their ages, he accepted that. There was no chance of keeping the
old No. he told me, it would have to be an age related plate, which was
better than getting a 'Q' or modern number plate.Oh, it'll need
insurance too.

Overall, probably not worthwhile getting it registered, as the hassle
involved does not seem worthwhile for something that is probably worth
less then £1k, just sell it as is,let someone else sort out the
registration.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email