A sinking ship gathers no moss. -- Donald Kaul

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

SubjectAuthor
* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSDavid Brooks
+- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSDavid Brooks
+- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSJoerg Lorenz
+- OT - Facts about cucumbersApd
`* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERST i m
 `* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSDavid Brooks
  `* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERST i m
   +* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSDavid Brooks
   |+- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERST i m
   |`* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSJoerg Lorenz
   | `* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERST i m
   |  `* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSwhisky-dave
   |   `* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSJoerg Lorenz
   |    `- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSwhisky-dave
   +* OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSRJH
   |+- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERST i m
   |`- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSJoerg Lorenz
   `- OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERSJoerg Lorenz

1
OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<F_gkM.17811$k4z1.17281@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16714&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16714

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:31:32 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:31 UTC

FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one
cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5,
Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus,
Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and
pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins and
Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for
hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing
a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide
a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in
a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long.
The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a
scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them
flee the area.

5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out
or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your
problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause
the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and
reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber
slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free.
Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish
essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium,
avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge?
Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European
trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you
don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber
over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that
not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice
and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the
spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water,
the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber will react with the
boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing,
relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and
college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or
mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth
with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the
phytochemicals will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for
causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your taps, sinks or stainless
steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to
clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the
shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or
fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber
and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons
and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<k%gkM.17812$k4z1.14183@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16715&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16715

Subject: Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:32:16 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:32 UTC

AI says .......

Some of the statements you provided about cucumbers contain accurate
information, while others are exaggerated or misleading. Let's go
through each point:

1. Cucumbers are indeed a good source of vitamins and minerals,
including vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, vitamin C, calcium, iron,
magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. However, the exact nutrient
content can vary depending on the size and variety of the cucumber.

2. While cucumbers do contain some B vitamins and carbohydrates, their
effect as a pick-me-up for tiredness may not be as significant as
stated. Caffeine-containing beverages may provide a more noticeable
energy boost.

3. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that rubbing a
cucumber slice on a mirror can eliminate fog or provide a spa-like
fragrance. Typically, fog on mirrors can be reduced by using anti-fog
sprays or wiping them with a clean cloth.

4. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that placing
cucumber slices in a pie tin will repel pests from a garden. Various
factors, such as the specific pests present and the environmental
conditions, influence pest control in gardens.

5. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that rubbing
cucumber slices on the skin can tighten collagen, reduce cellulite, or
improve the appearance of wrinkles. The effectiveness of cucumber for
these purposes is not supported by scientific studies.

6. While cucumbers do contain some nutrients, including sugars and
electrolytes, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that eating
cucumber slices before bed can prevent hangovers or headaches.

7. While cucumbers can be a part of a healthy snack, there is no
evidence to suggest that they have a specific effect in fighting off
snacking binges.

8. Rubbing a freshly cut cucumber on shoes may provide a temporary shine
due to the moisture present in the cucumber. However, it is not a
long-lasting or durable method for polishing shoes.

9. There is no scientific evidence to suggest that rubbing a cucumber
slice on a squeaky hinge can eliminate the squeak.

10. While the aroma of cucumber in steam may provide a relaxing effect
for some individuals, there is no scientific evidence specifically
linking cucumber steam to stress reduction.

11. Chewing on a slice of cucumber may temporarily help freshen breath
due to its high water content. However, there is no evidence to suggest
that it eliminates bad breath caused by bacteria in the mouth.

12. Cucumbers can be used as a natural cleaning agent for certain
surfaces due to their mild acidity. However, they may not be as
effective as commercial cleaning products for removing tough stains or
tarnish.

13. While cucumber peels may have some erasing properties, they are not
as effective as erasers specifically designed for removing pen, crayon,
or marker marks.

Overall, while cucumbers are a healthy and versatile vegetable, some of
the claims about their additional benefits and uses mentioned above are
not supported by scientific evidence.

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u6s7gi$1gm0e$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16716&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16716

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:53:38 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:53 UTC

Am 20.06.23 um 14:31 schrieb David Brooks:
> FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS
>
> 1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day

And this group contains threads you never need!

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: OT - Facts about cucumbers

<u6sa9e$2f2hh$1@apd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16717&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16717

From: not@all.invalid (Apd)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 14:40:32 +0100
 by: Apd - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:40 UTC

"David Brooks" wrote:
> FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

Don't shout!

> 10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the
> spa?

Stick a cucumber up your arse.

AI sez:

While a rectally inserted cucumber may give you a cheap thrill, you'll
probably end up with severe piles (ooh, me chalfonts are playing up
today!).

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<kfegm4F48pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16721&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16721

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:32:04 +0100
 by: T i m - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:32 UTC

On 20/06/2023 13:31, David Brooks wrote:
> FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<snip>

The Lea Valley used to grow 75% of the UK's supply of cucumbers (my
Uncle used to be a full time grower) but now, mostly thanks to all the
racists and greedy who voted for Brexit, we can no longer get the
seasonal workers needed to harvest them and so many are selling their
land for housing.

https://hortnews.com/lea-valley-growers-face-extinction/

Like the world wasn't already in a mess, then we get the Brexiteers
*intentionally* making it worse! ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<ggokM.867$Ect9.149@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16723&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16723

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:48:12 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:48 UTC

On 20/06/2023 21:32, T i m wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 13:31, David Brooks wrote:
>> FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS
>
> <snip>
>
> The Lea Valley used to grow 75% of the UK's supply of cucumbers (my
> Uncle used to be a full time grower) but now, mostly thanks to all the
> racists and greedy who voted for Brexit, we can no longer get the
> seasonal workers needed to harvest them and so many are selling their
> land for housing.
>
> https://hortnews.com/lea-valley-growers-face-extinction/
>
> Like the world wasn't already in a mess, then we get the Brexiteers
> *intentionally* making it worse! ;-(

Thanks for your post!

Are you old enough to remember The Common Market, Tim?

That's what there used to be before Germany tried to set up The United
States of Europe, courtesy of the European Union, as it had failed to do
so by force in WWI and WWII

FYI ....

The term "Common Market" typically refers to a type of regional economic
integration where member countries agree to eliminate trade barriers,
such as tariffs and quotas, among themselves while maintaining
individual economic policies towards non-member countries. The concept
of a Common Market is often associated with the European Economic
Community (EEC), which was established by the Treaty of Rome in 1957.

The EEC, also known as the Common Market, aimed to create a single
economic entity among its member states by progressively removing trade
barriers and harmonizing economic policies. The founding members of the
EEC were Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, and the
Netherlands. Over time, the EEC expanded to include additional member
states, eventually transforming into the European Union (EU) in 1993.

Within the Common Market or the EU's Single Market, goods, services,
capital, and labor can move freely across member countries. This
facilitates trade and investment, encourages economic growth, and
fosters closer economic integration among participating nations. The
Common Market also includes the adoption of common policies in certain
areas, such as competition, agriculture, and regional development, to
ensure fair competition and a level playing field.

The EU's Common Market has been successful in promoting economic
integration and facilitating cross-border trade within its member
states. It has helped to create a large and prosperous market, allowing
businesses to access a broader customer base and consumers to benefit
from a wider range of products and services. However, it is important to
note that the Common Market also requires member countries to align
their regulations and policies, which can sometimes be a complex and
politically sensitive process.

It is worth mentioning that while the Common Market is often associated
with the European Union, other regional organizations and agreements
around the world have also adopted similar principles and objectives,
establishing their own common markets. Examples include the Common
Market of the South (Mercosur) in South America and the East African
Community (EAC) in Africa.

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<kffpplF66ldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16727&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16727

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:13:39 +0100
 by: T i m - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:13 UTC

On 20/06/2023 21:48, David Brooks wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 21:32, T i m wrote:
>> On 20/06/2023 13:31, David Brooks wrote:
>>> FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> The Lea Valley used to grow 75% of the UK's supply of cucumbers (my
>> Uncle used to be a full time grower) but now, mostly thanks to all the
>> racists and greedy who voted for Brexit, we can no longer get the
>> seasonal workers needed to harvest them and so many are selling their
>> land for housing.
>>
>> https://hortnews.com/lea-valley-growers-face-extinction/
>>
>> Like the world wasn't already in a mess, then we get the Brexiteers
>> *intentionally* making it worse! ;-(
>
> Thanks for your post!
>
> Are you old enough to remember The Common Market, Tim?

Yes?

> That's what there used to be before Germany tried

<snip the Brexiteer bs>

We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't. We used to harvest all our own
crops (using additional seasonal workers), now we plough many into the
ground, we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...

The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<l2zkM.17852$k4z1.9668@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16728&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16728

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: DavidB@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 10:04:17 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:04 UTC

On 21/06/2023 09:13, T i m wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 21:48, David Brooks wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The Lea Valley used to grow 75% of the UK's supply of cucumbers (my
>>> Uncle used to be a full time grower) but now, mostly thanks to all
>>> the racists and greedy who voted for Brexit, we can no longer get the
>>> seasonal workers needed to harvest them and so many are selling their
>>> land for housing.
>>>
>>> https://hortnews.com/lea-valley-growers-face-extinction/
>>>
>>> Like the world wasn't already in a mess, then we get the Brexiteers
>>> *intentionally* making it worse! ;-(
>>
>> Thanks for your post!
>>
>> Are you old enough to remember The Common Market, Tim?
>
> Yes?

I'm uncertain why I see a question mark after the word "Yes"

>> That's what there used to be before Germany tried
>
> <snip the Brexiteer bs>
>
> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't. We used to harvest all our own
> crops (using additional seasonal workers), now we plough many into the
> ground, we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...
>
> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...

So those folk became VEGAN?!!! ;-)

Things are what they are. We all have to make the best of it, 'cause
there's no going back.

--
David

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u6ugv9$2qo53$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16732&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16732

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:47:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:47 UTC

On 21 Jun 2023 at 09:13:39 BST, T i m wrote:

> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't.

Insofar as it's a measure of anything (I don't think it's a good proxy of
much) I'd look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

And then take a look at how good a job that country does on taxing and
distributing all of that cash.

> We used to harvest all our own
> crops (using additional seasonal workers),

Um, not really!

> now we plough many into the
> ground,

Ever thus - although it may be worse now. I'm not saying seasonal workers are
not a problem btw . . .

> we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...

Again, a problem that long predates Brexit

> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...

Bit sweeping IMVHO - coincidence, cause, and all of that ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<kfg7uhF84c0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16744&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16744

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:15:11 +0100
 by: T i m - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:15 UTC

On 21/06/2023 10:04, David Brooks wrote:
> On 21/06/2023 09:13, T i m wrote:

>>> Thanks for your post!
>>>
>>> Are you old enough to remember The Common Market, Tim?
>>
>> Yes?
>
> I'm uncertain why I see a question mark after the word "Yes"

It was questioning why you would be asking and so what any answer would
have to do with my point?

<snip>

> Things are what they are. We all have to make the best of it, 'cause
> there's no going back.

Maybe not, or not for a while (even though there is still the pathway
for us to undo the referendum if we wanted), we need to be careful to
learn from such things and never allow the 'decision of a lifetime' to
be made without a reasonable supermajority (or ideally to not offer such
as a choice to the great unwashed or putting the government liars in
prison for duping the gullible) etc..

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<kfg9m9F84c0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16746&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16746

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:44:55 +0100
 by: T i m - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:44 UTC

On 21/06/2023 10:47, RJH wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2023 at 09:13:39 BST, T i m wrote:
>
>> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't.
>
> Insofar as it's a measure of anything (I don't think it's a good proxy of
> much) I'd look at:

Whist I might agree if you go into the detail, I was referring to it as
being a general / finger_in__the_air guide to how well and country is
doing and that falling down the table rarely indicates it's doing 'better'?

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita
>
> And then take a look at how good a job that country does on taxing and
> distributing all of that cash.

<shrug>

>> We used to harvest all our own
>> crops (using additional seasonal workers),
>
> Um, not really!

What, we were *always* ploughing viable crops back into the ground?

>> now we plough many into the
>> ground,
>
> Ever thus - although it may be worse now.

Oh? I know we have recycled misshaped veg because the supermarkets
wouldn't take them (or didn't 'then') but I can't remember seeing arable
farmers on the TV news saying it as often as I have recently? Or pig
farmers having to kill pigs because there are insufficient
slaughterhouse workers or butchers? Or fish having to be landed in
Europe as there is no one her to process them?

> I'm not saying seasonal workers are
> not a problem btw . . .

Phew! ;-)

>> we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
>> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...
>>

> Again, a problem that long predates Brexit

Whilst you are probably right that some of it did but doesn't it
highlight how naive a step it was *given* there were already such issues?

>> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...
>
> Bit sweeping IMVHO - coincidence, cause, and all of that ;-)

Of course it's sweeping as that's how shallow a level I need to look at
it to already see the problems caused by it? And the number of people
who voted for leave who now agree it was a mistake seem to outweigh
those who voted remain who now don't think we should have?

I mean, I'm not involved in any 'business' with the EU that has been
affected, just that I've dealt with a few who have and without
exception, all of them state that it's now much more difficult /
complicated. Well, personally I have had to deal with eBay sellers who
no longer sell to the UK or all the EU animal rights things that I can
no longer vote on of course.

One business was a PCB recycler who sent batches of stuff to a plant in
Europe for re-processing and did so themselves, as / when they had a
lorry load. The contractor who used to do it no longer does (not viable)
so they have to 'book' a lorry in from the EU and if it turns up late
(as in days) they can be overwhelmed with material or if it turns up
late (as in after opening hours) they still have to pay for it and have
to re-book the collection.

Or the contact in Sweden who used to buy Fire Control panels from us
because we offered the best product / service, no longer do because of
all the 'red tape'.

Then there was a program on the fishermen (who I understand were quite
vocal in voting to leave) who now have to fill in many more forms and
have many more (vet) checks done to be able to reach what was previously
their biggest market! (WTF)?

I really see it as a question few people we asking and so many were
forced into giving AN answer that was likely to have been guided by the
lies that were put out at the time like "£350M/w to the NHS instead" and
us being "overrun by Turks" etc.

It seems the current government way is that it's "Easier to seek
forgiveness than gain permission" but in some cases, the forgiveness
will never come (as with Brexit and partygate etc).

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u6uvha$1jn8r$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16747&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16747

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:55:54 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:55 UTC

Am 21.06.23 um 10:13 schrieb T i m:
> On 20/06/2023 21:48, David Brooks wrote:
>> That's what there used to be before Germany tried
>
> <snip the Brexiteer bs>
>
> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't. We used to harvest all our own
> crops (using additional seasonal workers), now we plough many into the
> ground, we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...
>
> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...

From an economic angle this is only the beginning of the end.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u6uvn3$1jn8r$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16748&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16748

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 15:58:59 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 13:58 UTC

Am 21.06.23 um 11:04 schrieb David Brooks:
> On 21/06/2023 09:13, T i m wrote:
>> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't. We used to harvest all our own
>> crops (using additional seasonal workers), now we plough many into the
>> ground, we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
>> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...
>>
>> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...
>
> So those folk became VEGAN?!!! ;-)
>
> Things are what they are. We all have to make the best of it, 'cause
> there's no going back.

There is no going back?
Probably you are right. But I tell you that the talents in Britain will
leave what's s left of the UK.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<kfgmiiFah5gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16754&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16754

From: individual@spaced.me.uk (T i m)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 17:24:47 +0100
 by: T i m - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:24 UTC

On 21/06/2023 14:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 21.06.23 um 11:04 schrieb David Brooks:
>> On 21/06/2023 09:13, T i m wrote:
>>> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't. We used to harvest all our own
>>> crops (using additional seasonal workers), now we plough many into the
>>> ground, we used to have well complimented staff numbers in agriculture,
>>> hospitality, the NHS, care homes ...
>>>
>>> The Brexiteers gave up our cow for some magic beans ...
>>
>> So those folk became VEGAN?!!! ;-)
>>
>> Things are what they are. We all have to make the best of it, 'cause
>> there's no going back.
>
> There is no going back?
> Probably you are right. But I tell you that the talents in Britain will
> leave what's s left of the UK.
> They already are / have.

Many have relocated their businesses into Europe, simply because that's
the only way they can remain financially viable and the Gov is having to
offer all sorts of subsidies or other incentives to get people to set up
business here.

Loads of people who had moved and were working here because they 1)
could bring a needed skill here and / or 2) could (initially) earn more
here, 'went home' because they no longer felt welcome or valued or it
was no longer worth it financially (wages had picked up at home).

I knew of a vet from Poland who was working as a manager in a Plant Hire
shop in the UK (whilst buying a house here) and his wife, a teacher, was
working in an office. At Brexit they sold up and went back to Poland.

Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<8473d67e-f803-4a94-be17-840f65ee8468n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16766&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16766

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 04:52:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 11:52 UTC

On Wednesday, 21 June 2023 at 17:24:53 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
> On 21/06/2023 14:58, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> >> So those folk became VEGAN?!!! ;-)
> >>
> >> Things are what they are. We all have to make the best of it, 'cause
> >> there's no going back.
> >
> > There is no going back?
> > Probably you are right. But I tell you that the talents in Britain will
> > leave what's s left of the UK.
> > They already are / have.
>
> Many have relocated their businesses into Europe, simply because that's
> the only way they can remain financially viable and the Gov is having to
> offer all sorts of subsidies or other incentives to get people to set up
> business here.
>
> Loads of people who had moved and were working here because they 1)
> could bring a needed skill here and / or 2) could (initially) earn more
> here, 'went home' because they no longer felt welcome or valued or it
> was no longer worth it financially (wages had picked up at home).
>
> I knew of a vet from Poland who was working as a manager in a Plant Hire
> shop in the UK (whilst buying a house here) and his wife, a teacher, was
> working in an office. At Brexit they sold up and went back to Poland.

So what does that prove ?

A carer from romania who looked after my mum, could earn enough (with her husband in the building trade)
after 2-3 years to go back to romania and buy a house costing about £10K.

Not many couples in the UK with those jobs could save up for as house in 3years.

I know a care worker who pre-brexit used to earn more for handing out flyers for night clubs than he did
for doing care work. Now he doesn;t need to supliment he's low income from care work as his wages have risen
enough not need to take on flyering in the evening.

Germany has labour shortages (obviously because of brexit) in one-sixth of professions and the number is growing,
the national labour agency said Friday as ministers prepare to travel to Brazil to encourage the recruitment of caregivers.
Germany has Europe's biggest economy.2 Jun 2023.

> Cheers, T i m

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u71e19$1kt6q$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16768&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16768

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:15:37 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:15 UTC

Am 22.06.23 um 13:52 schrieb whisky-dave:
> Germany has labour shortages (obviously because of brexit) in one-sixth of professions and the number is growing,
> the national labour agency said Friday as ministers prepare to travel to Brazil to encourage the recruitment of caregivers.
> Germany has Europe's biggest economy.2 Jun 2023.

This has nothing to do with the Brexit at all!
Are you trying to troll?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<u71e59$1kt6r$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16769&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16769

From: hugybear@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:17:45 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:17 UTC

Am 21.06.23 um 11:47 schrieb RJH:
> On 21 Jun 2023 at 09:13:39 BST, T i m wrote:
>
>> We were 4th highest GDP, now we aren't.
>
> Insofar as it's a measure of anything (I don't think it's a good proxy of
> much) I'd look at:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Fact is that the UK-economy is not growing half as fast as the rest of
Europe. For years now.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS

<faa0912f-6ba5-4363-b91e-71ad21ffa9dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16773&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16773

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 07:56:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.dave@gmail.com (whisky-dave)
 by: whisky-dave - Thu, 22 Jun 2023 14:56 UTC

On Thursday, 22 June 2023 at 13:15:40 UTC+1, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 22.06.23 um 13:52 schrieb whisky-dave:
> > Germany has labour shortages (obviously because of brexit) in one-sixth of professions and the number is growing,
> > the national labour agency said Friday as ministers prepare to travel to Brazil to encourage the recruitment of caregivers.
> > Germany has Europe's biggest economy.2 Jun 2023.
> This has nothing to do with the Brexit at all!
> Are you trying to troll?
> --
> Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

It's called taking the piss.

Some people believe that anything and everything that is 'bad' is because of brexit.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: OT - FACTS ABOUT CUCUMBERS