Do not clog intellect's sluices with bits of knowledge of questionable uses.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Hastings Direct?

SubjectAuthor
* Hastings Direct?Eddie
+- Hastings Direct?Alan Lee
+- Hastings Direct?jeremy
+* Hastings Direct?ogden
|`- Hastings Direct?Eddie
`* Hastings Direct?siwilson
 `* Hastings Direct?Eddie
  `* Hastings Direct?wessie
   +- Hastings Direct?Eddie
   `* Hastings Direct?YTC#1
    +* Hastings Direct?Pete Fisher
    |`* Hastings Direct?Boots
    | `- Hastings Direct?Pete Fisher
    `- Hastings Direct?wessie

1
Hastings Direct?

<kglca0FjalhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16697&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16697

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Hastings Direct?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:16:32 +0100
 by: Eddie - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:16 UTC

Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
everything else seems to be legit.

Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Hastings Direct?

<u8419n$i3p3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16701&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16701

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Hastings Direct?
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:12:55 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 15:12 UTC

On 05/07/2023 15:16, Eddie wrote:
> Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
> website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
> be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
> everything else seems to be legit.
>
> Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?

I've been with them for 3 years now, the last renewal was around £10
more than I could get it on the compare sites, but I didnt change as £10
more is worth the time, rather than more form filling for 30 minutes
setting up new DDs etc with a new company.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kgljt0F1vtnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16702&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16702

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 5 Jul 2023 16:26:08 GMT
 by: jeremy - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:26 UTC

On 5 Jul 2023 at 15:16:32 BST, "Eddie" <eddie@deguello.org> wrote:

> Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
> website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
> be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
> everything else seems to be legit.
>
> Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?

I use Hastings for a multi-car policy - prices are very competitive I find.
Not had cause to claim or interact with them regarding any kind of incidents
so cannot comment on the quality of service or cover. Underlying insurer is
called "Advantage Insurance Company Limited".

--
jeremy

Re: Hastings Direct?

<34f18657-255e-46ba-b333-f61699bf74den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16703&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16703

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 09:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:44 UTC

Eddie wrote:
> Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
> website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
> be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
> everything else seems to be legit.
>
> Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?

I was insured with them when my first KTM got nicked. They paid out without fuss, but that was down to the underwriter - the broker is irrelevant to the claims process.

Hastings themselves tried to charge me 50 quid for cancelling the policy after it had paid out (and cover had ceased) because I didn't insure the replacement with them. That despite them having been unable to give me a (multi-bike) quote when I'd asked for one. I refused, and they charged the fee to the card I'd used to buy the policy, without authorisation.

I complained, got nowhere, took to slagging them off on twitter, and had a cheque within a few days.

I'll keep slagging them off til the day I die. Cunts.

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kgltlqF3f4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16704&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16704

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 20:12:58 +0100
 by: siwilson - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 19:12 UTC

On 05/07/2023 15:16, Eddie wrote:
> Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
> website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
> be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
> everything else seems to be legit.
>
> Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?

Re comparison sites, I found out today that the person responsible for
the annoying tenor bloke on Go Compare ads works at the same place as
me. For now. (He knows for a fact he's out after the consultation period
is up).

--
/Simon

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kgm73eFjalhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16705&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16705

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 22:53:50 +0100
 by: Eddie - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:53 UTC

On 05/07/2023 17:44, ogden wrote:
> Eddie wrote:
>> Suspiciously cheap insurance quote when I've gone directly through their
>> website rather than a price comparison site. The only odd thing seems to
>> be that they didn't ask about the value of last year's theft claim, but
>> everything else seems to be legit.
>>
>> Anybody want to caution against using them before I accept the quote?
>
> I was insured with them when my first KTM got nicked. They paid out without fuss, but that was down to the underwriter - the broker is irrelevant to the claims process.

Yes, good point. Even if I'd stuck with my current broker, I'd almost
certainly have ended up with a different underwriter.

> Hastings themselves tried to charge me 50 quid for cancelling the policy after it had paid out (and cover had ceased) because I didn't insure the replacement with them. That despite them having been unable to give me a (multi-bike) quote when I'd asked for one. I refused, and they charged the fee to the card I'd used to buy the policy, without authorisation.
>
> I complained, got nowhere, took to slagging them off on twitter, and had a cheque within a few days.

Oh, I think I remember that. I'm aiming to avoid that kind of hassle by
not making a claim. Just like last year.

> I'll keep slagging them off til the day I die. Cunts.

Noted, and taken into consideration.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kgm76pFjalhU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16706&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16706

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 22:55:37 +0100
 by: Eddie - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 21:55 UTC

On 05/07/2023 20:12, siwilson wrote:

> Re comparison sites, I found out today that the person responsible for
> the annoying tenor bloke on Go Compare ads works at the same place as
> me. For now. (He knows for a fact he's out after the consultation period
> is up).

I deliberately didn't use that particular comparison site. Or that
stupid meerkat one.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Hastings Direct?

<XnsB03961036EB48wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16710&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16710

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:32:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:32 UTC

Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote in

> On 05/07/2023 20:12, siwilson wrote:
>>
>> Re comparison sites, I found out today that the person responsible
>> for the annoying tenor bloke on Go Compare ads works at the same
>> place as me. For now. (He knows for a fact he's out after the
>> consultation period is up).
>
> I deliberately didn't use that particular comparison site. Or that
> stupid meerkat one.

Moneysupermarket has stupid ads but it is the best quote engine, especially
as some of the others do not allow you to declare "DVLA aware, no
restrictions" for health stuff. They just have an exception at the start
excluding snoring mongs using CPAP.

Topcashback Compare is better now they have gone back to Quotezone. Bike
was something like �125 premium with a �27 cashback through Devitt
underwritten by Ageas. House was even sillier, �98 premium with Aviva for
buildings & contents, �32 cashback. Just sold the house, cancelled the
policy 9 weeks in, and had a �48 rebate. �2 a week for cover!

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kgne41FjalhU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16712&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16712

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:59:45 +0100
 by: Eddie - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 08:59 UTC

On 06/07/2023 09:32, wessie wrote:
> Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote in
>
>> I deliberately didn't use that particular comparison site. Or that
>> stupid meerkat one.
>
> Moneysupermarket has stupid ads but it is the best quote engine, especially
> as some of the others do not allow you to declare "DVLA aware, no
> restrictions" for health stuff. They just have an exception at the start
> excluding snoring mongs using CPAP.

I don't think I used moneysupermarket either, come to think of it.

> Topcashback Compare is better now they have gone back to Quotezone. Bike
> was something like Ł125 premium with a Ł27 cashback through Devitt
> underwritten by Ageas. House was even sillier, Ł98 premium with Aviva for
> buildings & contents, Ł32 cashback. Just sold the house, cancelled the
> policy 9 weeks in, and had a Ł48 rebate. Ł2 a week for cover!

Never thought of using the cashback sites. Bit late now.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Hastings Direct?

<u8lojk$37tqv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16774&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16774

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:35:00 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:35 UTC

On 06/07/2023 09:32, wessie wrote:
> Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote in
>
>> On 05/07/2023 20:12, siwilson wrote:
>>>
>>> Re comparison sites, I found out today that the person responsible
>>> for the annoying tenor bloke on Go Compare ads works at the same
>>> place as me. For now. (He knows for a fact he's out after the
>>> consultation period is up).
>>
>> I deliberately didn't use that particular comparison site. Or that
>> stupid meerkat one.
>>

> Moneysupermarket has stupid ads but it is the best quote engine, especially

Also it is the only independant one, so not obbliged to give quotes from
specific InsCo.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kh78rcFqmj0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16775&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16775

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:07:58 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:07 UTC

On 12/07/2023 09:35, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 06/07/2023 09:32, wessie wrote:
>> Eddie <eddie@deguello.org> wrote in

>>> I deliberately didn't use that particular comparison site. Or that
>>> stupid meerkat one.
>>>

>> Moneysupermarket has stupid ads but it is the best quote engine,
>> especially
>
> Also it is the only independant one, so not obbliged to give quotes from
> specific InsCo.

I've bought the new policy for the SO MX5 replacement through
Moneysupermarket. Liverpool Victoria. "Some Money".

Effing insurance companies. It seems that because I had to claim for
fire damage on my MoHo as a 'fault' claim (£10000) that makes me a bad
risk while driving any vehicle. The van was in a secure storage compound
and the fire didn't even start on the premises. It seems the insco for
the van policy couldn't prove that the blithering idiot burning rubbish
in his back yard on one of the hottest days of 2022 was really to blame.

Plus "it's your age".

Even more reason to Carpe Diem before none of the barstewards will even
give me a quote (though presumably Saga would).

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Hastings Direct?

<th72oj-jdc.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16776&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16776

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:15:09 +0800
 by: Boots - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:15 UTC

On 12/07/2023 17:07 Pete Fisher penned these words:
> It seems the insco for
> the van policy couldn't prove that the blithering idiot burning rubbish
> in his back yard on one of the hottest days of 2022 was really to blame.

My daughter got loaded for being a risk because there was a claim. It was a
successful claim against the doddery Doris that lost control in a supermarket
car park and skittled a load of shopping trollies, one of which hit my
daughter's car.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Hastings Direct?

<kh7as1FqmitU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16777&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16777

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 10:42:27 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 09:42 UTC

On 12/07/2023 10:15, Boots wrote:
> On 12/07/2023 17:07 Pete Fisher penned these words:
>> It seems the insco for
>> the van policy couldn't prove that the blithering idiot burning rubbish
>> in his back yard on one of the hottest days of 2022 was really to blame.
>
> My daughter got loaded for being a risk because there was a claim. It was a
> successful claim against the doddery Doris that lost control in a supermarket
> car park and skittled a load of shopping trollies, one of which hit my
> daughter's car.

It's a nightmare. Daren't not spill the beans about everything though.
When I first inured the capmpervan before this one (with a very cheap
and slightly dubious outfit) I forgot to tell them about a claim on our
Mazda 6 policy when my wife was driving (I was policyholder). As she
wasn't going to be an additional driver on the Granvia what difference
should it make. Charged me £25 to make the 'change'.

Luckily I never had to claim on their policy as I suspect they would
have found something to wriggle out of it on. I got a no fault solicitor
on the case when a drunk driver rammed it via my trailer carrying two
bikes while on the M5.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Hastings Direct?

<XnsB03F7FA4313BAwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16779&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16779

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:32:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:32 UTC

YTC#1 <bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk> wrote in

>> Moneysupermarket has stupid ads but it is the best quote engine,
>> especially
>
> Also it is the only independant one, so not obbliged to give quotes
> from specific InsCo.

https://www.seopa.com/our-brands own Quotezone, which is behind a number of
"white label" comparison sites.

They seem to be independent so useful to cross reference against
Moneysupermarket

I use them via Topcashback Compare which came up trumps for house insurance
with Aviva this year.