From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: App crash on launch
Date: 26 Jun 2023 10:05:00 GMT
 by: TimH - Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:05 UTC

I’ve been trying to get Synfig Studio, an open-source animation program, to
run on my Mac (M1 Air, Monterey 12.6.7). It’s been crashing on launch with a
pretty generic looking error:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

It eventually occurred to me to try it on other accounts on the same Mac, both
standard and administrator, whereupon it launched and ran happily. (Not to
mention running happily in both Windows and Linux VMs)

Since this problem hasn’t occurred with any other program on the account, and
nothing on the Synfig forums looks relevant, I’m… puzzled.

I think I’ve tried all the obvious stuff, like deleting every last file
associated with the app and reinstalling. The crash still happens in safe
mode, btw.

Any suggestions for diagnosis? Of course I do have ways of running the program
(see above), but I’d like to get to the bottom of this :)

--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / App crash on launch