Philadelphia is not dull -- it just seems so because it is next to exciting Camden, New Jersey.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

SubjectAuthor
* Stop screen (?) sleep MontereySara Merriman
+* Stop screen (?) sleep MontereyBernd Froehlich
|`- Stop screen (?) sleep MontereySara Merriman
`* Stop screen (?) sleep MontereyBruce Horrocks
 `- Stop screen (?) sleep MontereySara Merriman

1
Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

<8USnM.6082$mq28.4731@fx08.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16965&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16965

From: saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 10:05:56 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:05 UTC

I have an old laptop with a damaged screen. I keep the lid closed and it's
used as media server on the home network. The machine itself doesn't seem to
sleep because I can always access the movies etc. on it through home sharing.

I use screen sharing to access things from time to time. However, when I
connect through screen sharing it always shows me a log in page and I have to
type in the account password. Anyone have any idea how to stop that?
--
Billy is silly

Re: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

<kgf8cgF1vd5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16986&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16986

From: befr@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey
Date: 3 Jul 2023 06:32:48 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 06:32 UTC

On 1. Jul 2023 at 12:05:56 CEST, "Sara Merriman"
<saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have an old laptop with a damaged screen. I keep the lid closed and it's
> used as media server on the home network. The machine itself doesn't seem to
> sleep because I can always access the movies etc. on it through home sharing.
>
> I use screen sharing to access things from time to time. However, when I
> connect through screen sharing it always shows me a log in page and I have to
> type in the account password. Anyone have any idea how to stop that?

Hmm could be the screensaver.
Make sure it is switched off.

Re: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

<2syoM.32496$HRob.443@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16987&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16987

From: saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 11:39:42 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:39 UTC

On 3 Jul 2023 at 07:32:48 BST, "Bernd Froehlich" <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:

> On 1. Jul 2023 at 12:05:56 CEST, "Sara Merriman"
> <saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have an old laptop with a damaged screen. I keep the lid closed and it's
>> used as media server on the home network. The machine itself doesn't seem to
>> sleep because I can always access the movies etc. on it through home sharing.
>>
>> I use screen sharing to access things from time to time. However, when I
>> connect through screen sharing it always shows me a log in page and I have to
>> type in the account password. Anyone have any idea how to stop that?
>
> Hmm could be the screensaver.
> Make sure it is switched off.

Yes, I did that. Wasn't the issue.

--
Spike is a sturdy birdy

Re: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

<b12a7f29-e57d-5ecb-231b-60a4daf59e38@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16993&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16993

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 22:14:14 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 21:14 UTC

On 01/07/2023 11:05, Sara Merriman wrote:
> I have an old laptop with a damaged screen. I keep the lid closed and it's
> used as media server on the home network. The machine itself doesn't seem to
> sleep because I can always access the movies etc. on it through home sharing.

If you have "wake for network access" enabled then it will wake up when
accessed, even on WiFi. So it might be sleeping (just not deeply).

> I use screen sharing to access things from time to time. However, when I
> connect through screen sharing it always shows me a log in page and I have to
> type in the account password. Anyone have any idea how to stop that?

I seem to recall Apple making a change a few versions back to require a
password for all remote access, so it might not be possible.

A work-around might be to set a really short password like 'aaaa' which
is easy to type. (You'll probably need to use the 'passwd' command from
the command line to force it to accept an easily guessed one.)

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey

<GiOoM.427207$NrRf.303161@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16995&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16995

From: saramerriman@blueyonder.co.uk (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 05:41:58 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 05:41 UTC

On 3 Jul 2023 at 22:14:14 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 01/07/2023 11:05, Sara Merriman wrote:
>> I have an old laptop with a damaged screen. I keep the lid closed and it's
>> used as media server on the home network. The machine itself doesn't seem to
>> sleep because I can always access the movies etc. on it through home sharing.
>
> If you have "wake for network access" enabled then it will wake up when
> accessed, even on WiFi. So it might be sleeping (just not deeply).
>
>> I use screen sharing to access things from time to time. However, when I
>> connect through screen sharing it always shows me a log in page and I have to
>> type in the account password. Anyone have any idea how to stop that?
>
> I seem to recall Apple making a change a few versions back to require a
> password for all remote access, so it might not be possible.

I hthough this was probably the bugger, but if P close the connection and then
re-open it a few mins later, I don't have to use a password, the screen is
still live,

> A work-around might be to set a really short password like 'aaaa' which
> is easy to type. (You'll probably need to use the 'passwd' command from
> the command line to force it to accept an easily guessed one.)

The password is already minimal, just a pain to have to use it. Ah well.
--
Billy is silly

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Stop screen (?) sleep Monterey