From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Moving machines: /usr/local/bin oddity
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 17:12:23 +0100
 by: Ian McCall - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:12 UTC

Have an autocomplete oddity on the new MBP. I have a shell script,
ttcDownload.sh, that isn’t getting picked up as a possible auto-complete
answer in the shell (default zsh).

I’ve correctly prepended /usr/local/bin to $PATH and that’s working. If
try to autocomplete other binaries in /usr/local/bin they work. If I actually
try to run the command “ttcDownload.sh” from anywhere, all works. Just
autocomplete won’t pick it up.

Any ideas? The only difference I can think of vs other /usr/local/bin things
is that it’s a script not a binary, but not sure why that would preclude it
from being picked up.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Moving machines: /usr/local/bin oddity

<0001HW.2A51E457010FB78130A1F238F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16984&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16984

From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Moving machines: /usr/local/bin oddity
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 17:59:03 +0100
 by: Ian McCall - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:59 UTC

On 2 Jul 2023, Ian McCall wrote
(in article<0001HW.2A51D967010D274A30A1F238F@news.individual.net>):

> Have an autocomplete oddity on the new MBP. I have a shell script,
> ttcDownload.sh, that isn’t getting picked up as a possible auto-complete
> answer in the shell (default zsh).

....and now it does. Started a new terminal - worked. Interesting, don’t
need to do that for binaries but shell scripts it seems you do.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Moving machines: /usr/local/bin oddity

<u7vnr1$1tcf$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16994&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#16994

From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:06:57 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 00:06 UTC

In article <0001HW.2A51E457010FB78130A1F238F@news.individual.net>,
>> Have an autocomplete oddity on the new MBP. I have a shell script,
>> ttcDownload.sh, that isn’t getting picked up as a possible auto-complete
>> answer in the shell (default zsh).

>...and now it does. Started a new terminal - worked. Interesting, don’t
>need to do that for binaries but shell scripts it seems you do.

I don't think there's a difference between binaries and shell scripts.
You have to type "hash -r" (or "rehash") to get an already-running shell
to get zsh to see new programs added to directories in your path.

-- Richard

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Moving machines: /usr/local/bin oddity