Intellect annuls Fate. So far as a man thinks, he is free. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

SubjectAuthor
* SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
`* SO MX5 now officially for salePipl
 `* SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
  `* SO MX5 now officially for salePipl
   +- SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
   `* SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
    `* SO MX5 now officially for saleChamp
     +* SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
     |`- SO MX5 now officially for saleChamp
     `* SO MX5 now officially for saleYTC#1
      `* SO MX5 now officially for salePete Fisher
       `- SO MX5 now officially for saleYTC#1

1
SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kgs9vhF417tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16745&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16745

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: SO MX5 now officially for sale
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 05:19 UTC

The MX5 is now on the MX5OC forum and Ebay.

Dealer offered me £1000 PX against a MINI Cooper Auto.

Ebay offer of £1000 already received (up progressively from £500).
Holding my nerve as because I have to take on a new policy for the mini,
the Mazda will stay insured until I chop it in or sell it.

Insurance will be 'some money', mainly due to advanced age, but also
change of post code (who knew those last two letters could make so much
difference - particularly when the new gaff is old gimmer central, oh I
suppose higher risk of some doddery old git running in to you). They
also don't like the fire claim (£10,000) on the Vantage Med. Given it
was in secure storage 10 miles away and the git who set his own house on
fire by burning rubbish during a heatwave was really at fault, it's a
tad peeving.

Already fended off the £x for cash in your hand mate offers.

For the idly curious - my description.

"I have owned this car since 2008. My hips and knees just can’t cope
with hauling myself in and out of it. I also need more space for fishing
tackle and the luxury of aircon.

The good bits. Completely unmolested except for a steering wheel glove.
Still on the OEM alloys in ‘good condition’ according to a tyre fitter.
They are shod with Vredstein Sportracs fitted in 2020 and only done a
couple of thousand miles.

Mileage is just under 127000. 22000 of those in my ownership.

Cambelt replaced in 2020. Water pump was replace in 2009 at 106000 (and
cambelt then).

Stainless exhaust system.

New Westco battery fitted 2021.

New Mazda clutch master and slave cylinder fitted last year.

New Lucas starter fitted today!

Always fed with Mobil 1 full synthetic and ‘super’ unleaded.

The bad bits.

Sills welded after MoT failures (2021 and 2016). My old school body
basher does not use prefabricated sills.

Vinyl roof was fitted back in 2010 if I remember correctly. It has a
small split which I repaired but does not leak. It is a bit ‘tight’ though.

The front wings are a bit crusty down by the buper. The RH side has been
repaired with mesh and filler (see photo).

The bonnet hinges are worn and the bonnet rattles.

The drivers seat is very worn.

It need a new rear exhaust box heat shield which rusted through. I have
a fancy alloy one ready and will try to fit it.

The radio/CD seems to have gone sporadic on/off - I will check the fuse.

I have been offered £1000 by a dealer in PX against a used car. So
that's the minimum I will take for it.

No BIN. I'm not desperate for the cash, so don't bother asking how much
to end the auction early."

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<hh0iaiptg367pi1r5712tsmt89142f7ve6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16746&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16746

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 07:29:54 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:29 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100, Pete Fisher

>No BIN. I'm not desperate for the cash, so don't bother asking how much
>to end the auction early."

They always, always ignore this.

--

-Pip

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kgshomF4pk8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16747&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16747

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:32:39 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:32 UTC

On 08/07/2023 07:29, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100, Pete Fisher
>
>> No BIN. I'm not desperate for the cash, so don't bother asking how much
>> to end the auction early."
>
> They always, always ignore this.

Indeed they do. TBF I should have switched 'Make an Offer' off too.
Lots of interest. Two offers of £1000 and some reasonable questions to
answer and photos requested from others.
Looks as if it will sell.
--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<fgbiailvcclqi415jmsaqioa9h2rbtqprq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16749&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16749

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 10:36:56 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:36 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:32:39 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/07/2023 07:29, Pipl wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100, Pete Fisher
>>
>>> No BIN. I'm not desperate for the cash, so don't bother asking how much
>>> to end the auction early."
>>
>> They always, always ignore this.
>>

>Indeed they do. TBF I should have switched 'Make an Offer' off too.
>Lots of interest. Two offers of £1000 and some reasonable questions to
>answer and photos requested from others.
>Looks as if it will sell.

Cool. I always forget to tun off the "offers" thing too. Drives me up
the wall.

--

-Pip

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kgvvvkFm5qsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16761&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16761

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 15:53:41 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:53 UTC

On 08/07/2023 10:36, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:32:39 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/2023 07:29, Pipl wrote:
>>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100, Pete Fisher

>>> They always, always ignore this.
>>>

>> Indeed they do. TBF I should have switched 'Make an Offer' off too.
>> Lots of interest. Two offers of £1000 and some reasonable questions to
>> answer and photos requested from others.
>> Looks as if it will sell.
>
> Cool. I always forget to tun off the "offers" thing too. Drives me up
> the wall.

Reserve met with 5 days to go and a couple of unofficial offers. So
'prima facie' no need to PX and a bit of a better deal on the Mini
Cooper. Many a slip though.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kho22aFjd0nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16830&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16830

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56:26 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 17:56 UTC

On 08/07/2023 10:36, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:32:39 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 08/07/2023 07:29, Pipl wrote:
>>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 06:19:46 +0100, Pete Fisher

>>> They always, always ignore this.
>>>

>> Indeed they do. TBF I should have switched 'Make an Offer' off too.
>> Lots of interest. Two offers of £1000 and some reasonable questions to
>> answer and photos requested from others.
>> Looks as if it will sell.
>
> Cool. I always forget to tun off the "offers" thing too. Drives me up
> the wall.

SOLD for £1600.

MX5 has departed for a new home in Christchurch. A Dad collected it for
his lad. I had to advise him to coach said lad on the art of 'opposite
lock' as he has never driven a rear wheel car before never mind one with
130 BHP and no traction control (or ABS). I confess to shedding a tear
or two.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<el32ci91i2p9ad9l9aoopudf09o6mcjkru@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16960&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16960

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 13:17:08 +0100
 by: Champ - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 12:17 UTC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56:26 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>SOLD for £1600.
>
>MX5 has departed for a new home in Christchurch. A Dad collected it for
>his lad.

That feels like a hell of a bargain to me!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kictliFqbdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16973&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16973

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:50:10 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 26 Jul 2023 15:50 UTC

On 26/07/2023 13:17, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56:26 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> SOLD for £1600.
>>
>> MX5 has departed for a new home in Christchurch. A Dad collected it for
>> his lad.
>
> That feels like a hell of a bargain to me!

It had been welded to pass the MoT twice and the outer sills bear
witness to it, plus a nasty rusty hole had opened up inside the boot
next to where the jack and tools are stored. The rear silencer heat
shield had fallen off and the reversing light switch was fubar
(replacement items were supplied by me with the car but too much
grovelling underneath required for me to fit them). Only 3 months MoT
left. Every year it has been a lottery if more welding required.

I needed to give it a dose of hydraulic valve lifter treatment and a
dealers decoke to dispel a ticking tappet recently, Probably just not
used as intended enough lately.

The replacement Mini Cooper Automatic got its first decent drive on
Sunday to the VMCC Founders Day. Very much me these days I'm afraid,
though it picks up its skirts OK in 'Sport' Mode.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<u9tai5$1r8ps$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16985&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16985

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:40:35 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:40 UTC

On 26/07/2023 13:17, Champ wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56:26 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> SOLD for £1600.
>>
>> MX5 has departed for a new home in Christchurch. A Dad collected it for
>> his lad.
>
> That feels like a hell of a bargain to me!

It does, until you realise how much they cost to keep going.

Mine went in March this year, when faced with 2K+ work on it.
I'm sure I'll get another.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<kierqqFa4kpU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16989&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16989

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:31:07 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:31 UTC

On 27/07/2023 09:40, YTC#1 wrote:

> On 26/07/2023 13:17, Champ wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 18:56:26 +0100, Pete Fisher
>> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> SOLD for £1600.
>>>
>>> MX5 has departed for a new home in Christchurch. A Dad collected it for
>>> his lad.
>>
>> That feels like a hell of a bargain to me!
>
> It does, until you realise how much they cost to keep going.
>
> Mine went in March this year, when faced with 2K+ work on it.
> I'm sure I'll get another.

The secret is not to drive them much - though that doesn't combat the
tin worm.

By the time I sold it, it had relatively recent cam belt, clutch, clutch
hydraulics, rebuilt alternator and a new starter motor. Still cheaper to
maintain over a few years of DIY oil changes and the belt job than its
replacement will be having to go to an independent Mini service place I
suspect. Relying on my low mileage for the Mini turbo and auto box not
to go on strike to soon.

The MX5 never failed to get me home, though inclined to seize up the
front calipers over the winter.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<u9tnv1$1sjec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16992&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16992

From: bdp@ytc1-spambin.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:29:19 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:29 UTC

On 27/07/2023 10:31, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 27/07/2023 09:40, YTC#1 wrote:
>>

>> On 26/07/2023 13:17, Champ wrote:

>>> That feels like a hell of a bargain to me!
>>
>> It does, until you realise how much they cost to keep going.
>>
>> Mine went in March this year, when faced with 2K+ work on it.
>> I'm sure I'll get another.
>>

> The secret is not to drive them much

but but but....

> The MX5 never failed to get me home, though inclined to seize up the
> front calipers over the winter.

Both of mine have been driven all year, so "bang for buck" approach.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: SO MX5 now officially for sale

<mng7cipe341pr4uqnd0j76or00gvnr4enl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17008&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17008

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:31:24 +0100
 by: Champ - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 13:31 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 16:50:10 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I needed to give it a dose of hydraulic valve lifter treatment and a

I'm not familiar with this phrase...

>dealers decoke to dispel a ticking tappet recently

....but I am with this one :-)