I'm GLAD I remembered to XEROX all my UNDERSHIRTS!!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

SubjectAuthor
* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.John
+* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.Mark
|+- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.Graham J
|+- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.John
|`- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.John
`* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.Bruce Horrocks
 `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.John
  +* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.Ant
  |`* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  | `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank youGraham J
  |  `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  |   +- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.Ant
  |   `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*.Chris
  |    `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  |     `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.Bernd Froehlich
  |      `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  |       +* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.Jaimie Vandenbergh
  |       |`- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  |       `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.John
  |        +- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.nospam
  |        `- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.Sn!pe
  `* iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.Bruce Horrocks
   `- iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.John

1
iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<jjggai91l2e8aklda8srlv1qtevnq29jh9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17089&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17089

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 18:14:17 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 17:14 UTC

I am having difficulty copying files from an iPad 6 to a 2019
MacBookPro (also to a 2013, Win-7 box but that's less important.)

First, yes, I know, my MBP and iPad are decades old, obsolete and not
the latest and greatest of gear but they are what I have and they are
what I have an issue with.

I've tried all of the tips, tricks and help-and-support pages that I
can find but I can't seem to copy files from the iPad to the Pro.

I *can* link them using Bluetooth (BT) but the file finders on both
boxes don't find files on the Pad.

I have tried wiring them together with a USB cable. That doesn't
work.

Airdrop on the Pad complains that there is no-one around to Airdrop
to, even when I open up AD on the Pro, and even when the Pro has BT
on.

Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.

I have tried Apple support and they suggest that I do things that I
have already done so that's not much help. [Yes, probably *my* fault
for not seeing something obvious but I can't see what I'm missing
because I'm missing it.]

On the edge of giving up, I even tried USB connecting the iPad to a
Windows-7 P.C. machine. That one can see the iPad *as* something it's
"File Explorer" (Windows's name for "Finder") calls "iPad". It also
shows a folder called "DCIM" [on a USB-connected camera I'd assume
that this is where images from the camera's sensor are stored) but
this is empty according to Win-7.

So what am I trying to do? Well, I'm trying to copy or move images,
photographs, from the iPad to a more user-friendly box so I can send a
couple to someone.

You'd think that would be easy, yes? Apple *tell* me it's easy but I
damned well can't do it!

Yes, I know, it's my fault and I'm missing something bloody obvious
but could someone *please* tell me what?

I'd be ever so grateful, thanks. :)

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<u89r6b$1e5j1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17093&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17093

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:05:31 +0100
 by: Mark - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 20:05 UTC

On 2023-07-07 17:14:17 +0000, John said:

> I am having difficulty copying files from an iPad 6 to a 2019
> MacBookPro (also to a 2013, Win-7 box but that's less important.)
>
> First, yes, I know, my MBP and iPad are decades old, obsolete and not
> the latest and greatest of gear but they are what I have and they are
> what I have an issue with.
>
> I've tried all of the tips, tricks and help-and-support pages that I
> can find but I can't seem to copy files from the iPad to the Pro.
>
> I *can* link them using Bluetooth (BT) but the file finders on both
> boxes don't find files on the Pad.
>
> I have tried wiring them together with a USB cable. That doesn't
> work.
>
> Airdrop on the Pad complains that there is no-one around to Airdrop
> to, even when I open up AD on the Pro, and even when the Pro has BT
> on.
>
> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.
>
> I have tried Apple support and they suggest that I do things that I
> have already done so that's not much help. [Yes, probably *my* fault
> for not seeing something obvious but I can't see what I'm missing
> because I'm missing it.]
>
> On the edge of giving up, I even tried USB connecting the iPad to a
> Windows-7 P.C. machine. That one can see the iPad *as* something it's
> "File Explorer" (Windows's name for "Finder") calls "iPad". It also
> shows a folder called "DCIM" [on a USB-connected camera I'd assume
> that this is where images from the camera's sensor are stored) but
> this is empty according to Win-7.
>
> So what am I trying to do? Well, I'm trying to copy or move images,
> photographs, from the iPad to a more user-friendly box so I can send a
> couple to someone.
>
> You'd think that would be easy, yes? Apple *tell* me it's easy but I
> damned well can't do it!
>
> Yes, I know, it's my fault and I'm missing something bloody obvious
> but could someone *please* tell me what?
>
> I'd be ever so grateful, thanks. :)
>
> J.

I occasionally had issues with my iPad Air 3 not seeing my 2012 MBP,
but that seems to have sorted itself out in the last few months. Now
they (and my iPhone 12 Mini) all seem relatively copacetic.

Can't help sorting it out (frustratingly, AD works 'invisibly' -
there's no way to interact with it), but while AD was out of action, I
used the app 'DropCopy' which seemed/seems to do exactly what AD was
supposed to do (share sheet on iOS, designated folder on the MBP).

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<u89s8s$1e9sa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17095&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17095

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:23:39 +0100
 by: Graham J - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 20:23 UTC

Mark wrote:
> On 2023-07-07 17:14:17 +0000, John said:
>
>>  I am having difficulty copying files from an iPad 6 to a 2019
>> MacBookPro (also to a 2013, Win-7 box but that's less important.)

[snip]

I have Win-7 and an iPad Air 2

I installed iTunes on the Win-7 box and can transfer files to/from the
iPad. Once you have the files on Win-7 you should be able to copy them
to your Macbook.

Alternatively why not set up an email account on your iPad and email
them to yourself or directly to your intended recipient?

--
Graham J

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<9284ce45-e685-c1cd-01eb-b227da99b65d@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17099&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17099

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:03:58 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:03 UTC

On 07/07/2023 18:14, John wrote:
> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.

Even if you use a USB connection?

Could you state your MacOS and iPadOS versions please because old
machines can get upgraded a fair way.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<1l4haipu9u20a1uv162gcr1rf9osrq6kdd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17102&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17102

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 23:38:11 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:38 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 21:05:31 +0100, Mark <captain.black@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 2023-07-07 17:14:17 +0000, John said:
>
>> I am having difficulty copying files from an iPad 6 to a 2019
>> MacBookPro (also to a 2013, Win-7 box but that's less important.)
>>
>> First, yes, I know, my MBP and iPad are decades old, obsolete and not
>> the latest and greatest of gear but they are what I have and they are
>> what I have an issue with.
>>
>> I've tried all of the tips, tricks and help-and-support pages that I
>> can find but I can't seem to copy files from the iPad to the Pro.
>>
>> I *can* link them using Bluetooth (BT) but the file finders on both
>> boxes don't find files on the Pad.
>>
>> I have tried wiring them together with a USB cable. That doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> Airdrop on the Pad complains that there is no-one around to Airdrop
>> to, even when I open up AD on the Pro, and even when the Pro has BT
>> on.
>>
>> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
>> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.
>>
>> I have tried Apple support and they suggest that I do things that I
>> have already done so that's not much help. [Yes, probably *my* fault
>> for not seeing something obvious but I can't see what I'm missing
>> because I'm missing it.]
>>
>> On the edge of giving up, I even tried USB connecting the iPad to a
>> Windows-7 P.C. machine. That one can see the iPad *as* something it's
>> "File Explorer" (Windows's name for "Finder") calls "iPad". It also
>> shows a folder called "DCIM" [on a USB-connected camera I'd assume
>> that this is where images from the camera's sensor are stored) but
>> this is empty according to Win-7.
>>
>> So what am I trying to do? Well, I'm trying to copy or move images,
>> photographs, from the iPad to a more user-friendly box so I can send a
>> couple to someone.
>>
>> You'd think that would be easy, yes? Apple *tell* me it's easy but I
>> damned well can't do it!
>>
>> Yes, I know, it's my fault and I'm missing something bloody obvious
>> but could someone *please* tell me what?
>>
>> I'd be ever so grateful, thanks. :)
>>
>> J.
>
>I occasionally had issues with my iPad Air 3 not seeing my 2012 MBP,
>but that seems to have sorted itself out in the last few months. Now
>they (and my iPhone 12 Mini) all seem relatively copacetic.

Interesting, thank you, but this has been going on since I bought the
Ipad and it shows no signs of getting better.

Still, it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Misery may not love
company but it sure is reassuring to know that some other poor bugger
couldn't get the "easy" stuff to work. :)

>Can't help sorting it out (frustratingly, AD works 'invisibly' -
>there's no way to interact with it),

Yeah. It "just works", or, in my case, doesn't :)

I'm fairly sure it's some setting I've buggered up but I'm not seeing
where.

> but while AD was out of action, I
>used the app 'DropCopy' which seemed/seems to do exactly what AD was
>supposed to do (share sheet on iOS, designated folder on the MBP).

Right. Thanks, I'll have a go with that one if I can find it.

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<4v4haiprbpui3rr9easb9sq3t2vtveu8ia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17104&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17104

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 23:52:44 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:52 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:03:58 +0100, Bruce Horrocks
<07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>On 07/07/2023 18:14, John wrote:
>> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
>> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.
>
>Even if you use a USB connection?

Yerp.

Even if I USB to a Win-7 box. I can see the images, the files I want
to copy or move in "Photos" but they just don't appear in the IOS
"Finder" or the MBP "Finder".

*NOTHING* appears on the Pro in Finder. Nothing. Not even the iPad as
drive.

Oh, the MBPro's own files are all in the Pro's Finder. As they always
have been. Loads and loads of them. And the Win7 box's files and
folders all appear in "File Explorer", as one would expect. So the
*softwares* seem to be working, it's just that I've blown up something
in the connectivity by doing a stupid.

It *must* be me. Everyone else can manage these things with ease. :)

>Could you state your MacOS and iPadOS versions please because old
>machines can get upgraded a fair way.

Uh ... gimmee a minute ... okay, sorry for the delay but the Macs are
both downstairs and my Win7 box which runs this copy of Agent isn't
and I don't do stairs very rapidly any more.

The MBPro says it has macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and the iPad says it
is a 6th Gen with version 14.4 and I'm really surprised at how easy
those were to find. Also pleased.

Do them numbers help?

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<YbednUDU0LOZODX5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17105&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17105

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 23:51:32 +0000
 by: Ant - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 23:51 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:03:58 +0100, Bruce Horrocks
> <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> >On 07/07/2023 18:14, John wrote:
> >> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
> >> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.
> >
> >Even if you use a USB connection?

> Yerp.

> Even if I USB to a Win-7 box. I can see the images, the files I want
> to copy or move in "Photos" but they just don't appear in the IOS
> "Finder" or the MBP "Finder".

> *NOTHING* appears on the Pro in Finder. Nothing. Not even the iPad as
> drive.

> Oh, the MBPro's own files are all in the Pro's Finder. As they always
> have been. Loads and loads of them. And the Win7 box's files and
> folders all appear in "File Explorer", as one would expect. So the
> *softwares* seem to be working, it's just that I've blown up something
> in the connectivity by doing a stupid.

> It *must* be me. Everyone else can manage these things with ease. :)

> >Could you state your MacOS and iPadOS versions please because old
> >machines can get upgraded a fair way.

> Uh ... gimmee a minute ... okay, sorry for the delay but the Macs are
> both downstairs and my Win7 box which runs this copy of Agent isn't
> and I don't do stairs very rapidly any more.

> The MBPro says it has macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and the iPad says it
> is a 6th Gen with version 14.4 and I'm really surprised at how easy
> those were to find. Also pleased.

> Do them numbers help?

Um, does macOS' Photos app see the iPad's photos for import?
--
"Above [the Lord] were seraphs, each with six wings ... and they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.'" --Isaiah 6:2-3. Not a slammy Th. & maybe Fri. (chocolate & macaroni days). 2 much Z & pooping! :(
| |o o| |

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<9l8haitg44ak8608tjv5vntjmh34nmar9a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17106&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17106

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 00:54:44 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 23:54 UTC

wrote:

>On 2023-07-07 17:14:17 +0000, John said:
>
>> I am having difficulty copying files from an iPad 6 to a 2019
>> MacBookPro (also to a 2013, Win-7 box but that's less important.)
>>
>> First, yes, I know, my MBP and iPad are decades old, obsolete and not
>> the latest and greatest of gear but they are what I have and they are
>> what I have an issue with.
>>
>> I've tried all of the tips, tricks and help-and-support pages that I
>> can find but I can't seem to copy files from the iPad to the Pro.
>>
>> I *can* link them using Bluetooth (BT) but the file finders on both
>> boxes don't find files on the Pad.
>>
>> I have tried wiring them together with a USB cable. That doesn't
>> work.
>>
>> Airdrop on the Pad complains that there is no-one around to Airdrop
>> to, even when I open up AD on the Pro, and even when the Pro has BT
>> on.
>>
>> Finder on the Pro does not even see the Pad. Finder on the Pad
>> doesn't seem to have any way of moving stuff to the Pro.
>>
>> I have tried Apple support and they suggest that I do things that I
>> have already done so that's not much help. [Yes, probably *my* fault
>> for not seeing something obvious but I can't see what I'm missing
>> because I'm missing it.]
>>
>> On the edge of giving up, I even tried USB connecting the iPad to a
>> Windows-7 P.C. machine. That one can see the iPad *as* something it's
>> "File Explorer" (Windows's name for "Finder") calls "iPad". It also
>> shows a folder called "DCIM" [on a USB-connected camera I'd assume
>> that this is where images from the camera's sensor are stored) but
>> this is empty according to Win-7.
>>
>> So what am I trying to do? Well, I'm trying to copy or move images,
>> photographs, from the iPad to a more user-friendly box so I can send a
>> couple to someone.
>>
>> You'd think that would be easy, yes? Apple *tell* me it's easy but I
>> damned well can't do it!
>>
>> Yes, I know, it's my fault and I'm missing something bloody obvious
>> but could someone *please* tell me what?
>>
>> I'd be ever so grateful, thanks. :)
>>
>> J.
>
>I occasionally had issues with my iPad Air 3 not seeing my 2012 MBP,
>but that seems to have sorted itself out in the last few months. Now
>they (and my iPhone 12 Mini) all seem relatively copacetic.

I'm sort of happier that I'm not the only one.

>Can't help sorting it out (frustratingly, AD works 'invisibly' -
>there's no way to interact with it),

Yeah, most of the "help and support" for it just bounces us to
Bluetooth. I'm fairly sure that this is sort of working -ish.

>but while AD was out of action, I
>used the app 'DropCopy' which seemed/seems to do exactly what AD was
>supposed to do (share sheet on iOS, designated folder on the MBP).

Okay, that seems to be working.

DropCopy (DC) needs to be installed on both the iPad and the Pro and
running on both.
The Pad is now sending files to the Pro. Lovely! Thank you.

However: it's bloody slow. Loads slower than an olde-timey copy to a
floppy disk on a Windows 3.1 box. Or so it *feels* like. That's
probably my imagination. I'm so used to downloads of GB's at millions
of bits per microsecond that I'm spoiled.

Anyway, it has transferred over one and a bit images from iPad to MBP
so I'm going to leave them both happily chatting to each other and get
some sleep.

One bugbear: DC only copies 15 files per chunk. As I have 190 or so,
that's going to mean some manual labour.

I did try starting a batch then dumping another 15 into another
batch. That seemed to sort of work. The second bunch were queued, I
think. But ... when I tried to queue 31-45 the program just died on me
and erased everything it had sent.

So, batches of 15. Lots of.

It is still *far* better than what I had so thank you, a lot.

It works, so I'm contented

Thank you.
J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<1g9hai5u3guqpe1sji1uo5ed5oe97ghe09@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17107&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17107

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 01:35:27 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 00:35 UTC

On Fri, 07 Jul 2023 23:51:32 +0000, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:03:58 +0100, Bruce Horrocks
>> <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>> >Even if you use a USB connection?
>
>> Yerp.
>
>> Even if I USB to a Win-7 box. I can see the images, the files I want
>> to copy or move in "Photos" but they just don't appear in the IOS
>> "Finder" or the MBP "Finder".
>
>> *NOTHING* appears on the Pro in Finder. Nothing. Not even the iPad as
>> drive.
>
>> Oh, the MBPro's own files are all in the Pro's Finder. As they always
>> have been. Loads and loads of them. And the Win7 box's files and
>> folders all appear in "File Explorer", as one would expect. So the
>> *softwares* seem to be working, it's just that I've blown up something
>> in the connectivity by doing a stupid.
>
>> It *must* be me. Everyone else can manage these things with ease. :)
>

>> >Could you state your MacOS and iPadOS versions please because old
>> >machines can get upgraded a fair way.
>
>> Uh ... gimmee a minute ... okay, sorry for the delay but the Macs are
>> both downstairs and my Win7 box which runs this copy of Agent isn't
>> and I don't do stairs very rapidly any more.
>
>> The MBPro says it has macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and the iPad says it
>> is a 6th Gen with version 14.4 and I'm really surprised at how easy
>> those were to find. Also pleased.
>
>> Do them numbers help?
>
>Um, does macOS' Photos app see the iPad's photos for import?

Hmmmmmmm .......

I don't think so .......... but .....

Hold on ....

*Y*E*S*!!!!!!

Oh, my, that is *so* easy!

Thank you!

It took me about a minute to fiddle with "import" and the transfer
took about half of a minute but that JUST WORKS! :)

So, I'm an idiot. I really should have tried that ages ago.

THANK YOU!

I'd give you a hug but I'm all hot and steamy and it's weird of the
clock and I'm so very, very tired.

But thank you.

Just to confirm: I USB-ed the iPad to the MBPro. Opened "Photos" on
the Pro. Unlocked the Pad. Confirmed that the Pro was allowed to go
nuts and suck files from the Pad. Watched as all of the files were
*copied* over.

Even after disconnecting the USB, the files are on both machines. So
I can delete the iPad copy at some point.

I even separated the images into a few different, themed "albums" so
I know which ones are where.

Fuck, but that is so Apple. It's so easy even *I* can manage to do it
without any hassle! :)

Thank you.

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<u8b221$1m17o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17111&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17111

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you
all.
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08:32 +0100
 by: Graham J - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:08 UTC

John wrote:

[snip]

> Fuck, but that is so Apple.

That's why it took you so long to find out how to do it.

--
Graham J

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<4ae8186e-906f-3b5a-4730-ee4309fd0eca@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17118&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17118

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:44:51 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 09:44 UTC

On 07/07/2023 23:52, John wrote:
> Uh ... gimmee a minute ... okay, sorry for the delay but the Macs are
> both downstairs and my Win7 box which runs this copy of Agent isn't
> and I don't do stairs very rapidly any more.

Thanks for making the effort - the numbers do help. And I see you've
worked it out which is good!

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<etojai58l0drpb1pg1aumrijt01716d9q2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17129&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17129

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 23:37:48 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 22:37 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08:32 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>> Fuck, but that is so Apple.
>
>That's why it took you so long to find out how to do it.

What? Because I'm from 1980's Linux, 1990's Windows/DOS and other
even older stuff?

You could be right.

It also probably doesn't help that, apart from help from you lot, I'm
mostly self-taught on Apple gear.

I might have solved this one had I gone to an Apple store on the day
I bought the iPad, but who does that? :)

Moving images around using a program like Photos never occurred to
me. You are totally right, it should have. It's such an easy, Apple
thing to do.

Some days, I just feel so *old*.

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.

<3cpjaiph17pjc2i7vjcvvg45lji7tnmb6g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17130&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17130

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 23:43:41 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 22:43 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 10:44:51 +0100, Bruce Horrocks
<07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>On 07/07/2023 23:52, John wrote:
>> Uh ... gimmee a minute ... okay, sorry for the delay but the Macs are
>> both downstairs and my Win7 box which runs this copy of Agent isn't
>> and I don't do stairs very rapidly any more.
>
>Thanks for making the effort - the numbers do help. And I see you've
>worked it out which is good!

Yerp.

Thank you for helping.

I really need to poke about on these boxes more.

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<9RmdnX32JcFvmjf5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17134&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17134

From: ant@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 01:05:54 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 01:05 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08:32 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >John wrote:
> >
> >[snip]
> >

> >> Fuck, but that is so Apple.
> >
> >That's why it took you so long to find out how to do it.

> What? Because I'm from 1980's Linux, 1990's Windows/DOS and other
> even older stuff?

> You could be right.

> It also probably doesn't help that, apart from help from you lot, I'm
> mostly self-taught on Apple gear.

> I might have solved this one had I gone to an Apple store on the day
> I bought the iPad, but who does that? :)

> Moving images around using a program like Photos never occurred to
> me. You are totally right, it should have. It's such an easy, Apple
> thing to do.

> Some days, I just feel so *old*.

Ah. Good! I know that feeling. Sometimes in non-Apple OSes, I'd be like uhh... ;)
--
"'Woe to me!' [Isaiah] cried. 'I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.'" --Isaiah 6:5. Quieter days after crazy days, but 2 much Z & pooping! :/
| |o o| |

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<u8dp1o$232l1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17135&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17135

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*.
Thank you all.
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 07:53:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sjh9UyOWnr/bP/vgJhMJqrHFKIQ=
 by: Chris - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 07:53 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08:32 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> Fuck, but that is so Apple.
>>
>> That's why it took you so long to find out how to do it.
>
> What? Because I'm from 1980's Linux, 1990's Windows/DOS and other
> even older stuff?
>
> You could be right.
>
> It also probably doesn't help that, apart from help from you lot, I'm
> mostly self-taught on Apple gear.

Who isn't self-taught?

> I might have solved this one had I gone to an Apple store on the day
> I bought the iPad, but who does that? :)
>
> Moving images around using a program like Photos never occurred to
> me. You are totally right, it should have. It's such an easy, Apple
> thing to do.

Photos is just a work-around. Airdrop should be working. Are you sure you
haven't set your devices to "Receiving off".

Try setting both to "Everyone for 10 minutes".

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<2e9pait1v59tvl07b68polatr6lma4lj60@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17187&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17187

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 01:50:47 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 00:50 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 07:53:28 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:08:32 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> John wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> That's why it took you so long to find out how to do it.
>>
>> What? Because I'm from 1980's Linux, 1990's Windows/DOS and other
>> even older stuff?
>>
>> You could be right.
>>
>> It also probably doesn't help that, apart from help from you lot, I'm
>> mostly self-taught on Apple gear.
>
>Who isn't self-taught?
>
>> I might have solved this one had I gone to an Apple store on the day
>> I bought the iPad, but who does that? :)
>>
>> Moving images around using a program like Photos never occurred to
>> me. You are totally right, it should have. It's such an easy, Apple
>> thing to do.
>
>Photos is just a work-around. Airdrop should be working. Are you sure you
>haven't set your devices to "Receiving off".
>
>Try setting both to "Everyone for 10 minutes".

I don't have that option. I do have "Everyone" and I've tried that.
The Pad sees the Pro but won't send to it. The Pro doesn't see the Pad
at all.
But I don't really care any more as I have a Pad-to-Pro workaround
thanks to you guys.

Now all I need to do is work out how to do Pro(Photos) to USB stick.
transfers. :) (Then USB-stick-to-Win-Boxen so everyone else can see
the files.) (Life would be ever so much easier if I could persuade
everyone to use Unices.)

Not now, though. Now, I'm trying to get sleepy.

Thank you for helping.

J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<kh4b3mFd1jnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17192&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17192

From: befr@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Jul 2023 06:28:06 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 06:28 UTC

On 11. Jul 2023 at 02:50:47 CEST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> Now all I need to do is work out how to do Pro(Photos) to USB stick.
> transfers. :)

Just drag the photos out of the Photos.app onto the USB-Stick :-)
(Before you do that read on...)

> (Then USB-stick-to-Win-Boxen so everyone else can see
> the files.) (Life would be ever so much easier if I could persuade
> everyone to use Unices.)

Format the USB-Stick as FAT32 and Win-Boxes should have no problem reading
it.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<6mlsai96ktnej0ao98jr9ormnk8sanpmf9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17239&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17239

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:37:04 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:37 UTC

On 11 Jul 2023 06:28:06 GMT, Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de>
wrote:

>On 11. Jul 2023 at 02:50:47 CEST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>> Now all I need to do is work out how to do Pro(Photos) to USB stick.
>> transfers. :)
>
>Just drag the photos out of the Photos.app onto the USB-Stick :-)
>(Before you do that read on...)

Okay, thank you, I'll try that one. (Is this another of Apple's many
"It just works" that do, indeed, just work? There's loads and loads of
these.)

>> (Then USB-stick-to-Win-Boxen so everyone else can see
>> the files.) (Life would be ever so much easier if I could persuade
>> everyone to use Unices.)
>
>Format the USB-Stick as FAT32 and Win-Boxes should have no problem reading

Nah. Most of my sticks are formatted to NTFS or exFat. Only the ones
I plug into TV-boxen are the latter because of licensing issues.

My MBP has been NTFS-compatible for *ages* and my Win-7 box seems to
have no issue with that format.

Which shouldn't be a surprise as both Win-7 and NTFS are from the
Evil Empire.

Thank you.

J.
>it.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<kh7gmuFslqnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17243&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17243

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Jul 2023 11:22:06 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 11:22 UTC

On 12 Jul 2023 at 08:37:04 BST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2023 06:28:06 GMT, Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11. Jul 2023 at 02:50:47 CEST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>>
>>> (Then USB-stick-to-Win-Boxen so everyone else can see
>>> the files.) (Life would be ever so much easier if I could persuade
>>> everyone to use Unices.)
>>
>> Format the USB-Stick as FAT32 and Win-Boxes should have no problem reading
>
> Nah. Most of my sticks are formatted to NTFS or exFat. Only the ones
> I plug into TV-boxen are the latter because of licensing issues.
>
> My MBP has been NTFS-compatible for *ages* and my Win-7 box seems to
> have no issue with that format.

Macs will read NTFS but not write unless you have done some work (I've
not bothered with this for ages, but it used to be possible to enable
write for the builtin NTFS reader, or use FUSE with ntfs-3g to do it).

Easiest to go with exFAT for transfer Mac->Windows purposes. Or network.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Amiga 1000

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<fp5uaidf3jbdbcsre3mhi7sc6vbpakvsov@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17253&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17253

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:15:30 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:15 UTC

On 12 Jul 2023 11:22:06 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 12 Jul 2023 at 08:37:04 BST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jul 2023 06:28:06 GMT, Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Format the USB-Stick as FAT32 and Win-Boxes should have no problem reading
>>
>> Nah. Most of my sticks are formatted to NTFS or exFat. Only the ones
>> I plug into TV-boxen are the latter because of licensing issues.
>>
>> My MBP has been NTFS-compatible for *ages* and my Win-7 box seems to
>> have no issue with that format.
>
>Macs will read NTFS but not write unless you have done some work (I've
>not bothered with this for ages, but it used to be possible to enable
>write for the builtin NTFS reader, or use FUSE with ntfs-3g to do it).

Yerp. That's what I did.

>Easiest to go with exFAT for transfer Mac->Windows purposes. Or network.

Yeah, true, but who ever does *anything* the easy way?

> Cheers - Jaimie

Thanks,
J.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<vhrabi5dpr7eif61ts401pkkpq9oevqbar@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17430&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17430

From: Man@the.keyboard (John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:08:54 +0100
Sender: 9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A
 by: John - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:08 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:37:04 +0100, John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

>On 11 Jul 2023 06:28:06 GMT, Bernd Froehlich <befr@eaglesoft.de>
>wrote:
>
>>On 11. Jul 2023 at 02:50:47 CEST, "John" <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:
>>
>>> Now all I need to do is work out how to do Pro(Photos) to USB stick.
>>> transfers. :)
>>
>>Just drag the photos out of the Photos.app onto the USB-Stick :-)
>>(Before you do that read on...)
>
> Okay, thank you, I'll try that one. (Is this another of Apple's many
>"It just works" that do, indeed, just work? There's loads and loads of
>these.)

Nope.

"Just Works" is a myth.

Okay, so the drag-and-drop to the stick from the Photos program
worked so long as I stored the files on the desktop [or anywhere else]
on the MBP as files inside folders.

The USB stick then carried the files, inside the new folders, to the
PC running Win-7. The PC copied the files to a temporary holding
folder on itself.

Windows-7 can see the files. All of them. However:

Most of the damned files from the iPad are in HEIC format. This is a
*THING* that apparently started with recent versions of IOS and MacOS
and, guess what, Win-7 doesn't recognise HEIC. [IrfanView-64 does but
she calls them "JPEG files with an incorrect extension" and asks
whether I want to rename them.]

So, go to https://www.filefinder.com and search on HEIC and get loads
of good advice. None of it much good for Win-7 but that's my fault for
hating Win-10 and -11.

I find Microsoft's "File Viewer 4" in it's Store. This *does* view
HEIC and it converts them to JPEG. However, it's a £40 program with a
14-day free trial.

Okay, so the free trial has a converter to JPG and it works
excellently.

Now my file manager and IrfanView can see the files that were once
HEIC.

And, yes, I have learned how to store the images the iPad takes as
simple JPEG's.

"1: Opening your iOS device's Settings app.
G: Selecting Camera / Formats / Most Compatible."

This will store all future images as JPEG's, apparently.

"Just works" my aching arse. :)

>>> (Then USB-stick-to-Win-Boxen so everyone else can see
>>> the files.) (Life would be ever so much easier if I could persuade
>>> everyone to use Unices.)
>>
>>Format the USB-Stick as FAT32 and Win-Boxes should have no problem reading
>
> Nah. Most of my sticks are formatted to NTFS or exFat. Only the ones
>I plug into TV-boxen are the latter because of licensing issues.
>
> My MBP has been NTFS-compatible for *ages* and my Win-7 box seems to
>have no issue with that format.
>
> Which shouldn't be a surprise as both Win-7 and NTFS are from the
>Evil Empire.
>
> Thank you.

Ooops, in spite of the above bloated bloviating, I *did* use an exFAT
USB stick but that's irrelevant. My Win-7 box eats all the FATs and
NTFS with equal panache and the onboard hard-drive is ... [wait a bit
while I check :) ] ... yerp, it's NTFS.

Thank you all again for all your aid.

J.

> J.
>
>>it.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<170720231408538087%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17435&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17435

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 14:08:53 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:08 UTC

In article <vhrabi5dpr7eif61ts401pkkpq9oevqbar@4ax.com>, John
<Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

> Most of the damned files from the iPad are in HEIC format. This is a
> *THING* that apparently started with recent versions of IOS and MacOS

where 'recent' is 6 years ago, and not just ios and mac os either.

heic is an industry standard format that is more space efficient than
jpeg.

> and, guess what, Win-7 doesn't recognise HEIC.

win7 is old and no longer supported, although there are ways to view
them.

win10 and later supports heic.

Re: iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't. *SOLVED*. Thank you all.

<1qe18zy.df8m9ojn6a8cN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17445&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17445

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 21:59:43 +0100
References: <jjggai91l2e8aklda8srlv1qtevnq29jh9@4ax.com> <9284ce45-e685-c1cd-01eb-b227da99b65d@scorecrow.com> <4v4haiprbpui3rr9easb9sq3t2vtveu8ia@4ax.com> <YbednUDU0LOZODX5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <1g9hai5u3guqpe1sji1uo5ed5oe97ghe09@4ax.com> <u8b221$1m17o$1@dont-email.me> <etojai58l0drpb1pg1aumrijt01716d9q2@4ax.com> <u8dp1o$232l1$1@dont-email.me> <2e9pait1v59tvl07b68polatr6lma4lj60@4ax.com> <kh4b3mFd1jnU1@mid.individual.net> <6mlsai96ktnej0ao98jr9ormnk8sanpmf9@4ax.com> <vhrabi5dpr7eif61ts401pkkpq9oevqbar@4ax.com>
 by: Sn!pe - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 20:59 UTC

John <Man@the.keyboard> wrote:

[...]
> Win-7 doesn't recognise HEIC.
[...]

Is it Apple's fault that an obsolete version of Windows can't cope?

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / iPad 6 to MacBook Pro 2019, file copy won't.