MAC user's dynamic debugging list evaluator? Never heard of that.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

SubjectAuthor
* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJenny M Benson
+* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJim Easterbrook
|`* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesNick Odell
| `* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJenny M Benson
|  `- OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJim Easterbrook
+* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJ. P. Gilliver
|`- OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesMike McMillan
+- OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJohn Armstrong
`* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesSjouke Burry
 +* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesSjouke Burry
 |`- OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesSjouke Burry
 `* OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJohn Armstrong
  `- OT: A question for Umrats with very long memoriesJ. P. Gilliver

1
OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkpch4Fc9m1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17287&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17287

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:49:55 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 15:49 UTC

Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
still exist.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkpeuhF9b0tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17288&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17288

From: news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 24 Aug 2023 16:31:13 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:31 UTC

On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:49:55 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
> believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
> still exist.

You could try searching the archive of RadioTimes
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/issues

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<P4MaABRVE55kFwwa@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17292&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17292

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:19:17 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:19 UTC

In message <kkpch4Fc9m1U1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 24 Aug 2023
16:49:55, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of
>the play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but
>members of a new species that has developed after some sort of
>apocalypse. I'd ove to know the title/author and find out if any
>recordings of this still exist.

Like the "planet of the apes" film(s). Actually I think it's a not that
uncommon idea in post-apocalyptical - or, just far future - sci-fi.

_My_ OT play I'd like to find again - I think might be from the '90s,
though could be '80s or this century - is one about a piano, told from
the point of view _of_ the piano - its existence over many decades, as
concert grand, air-raid shelter cheerer, mouse home, etc.; IIRR it was
called Joanna.

I've never really "got" sport or physical exercise. The only muscle I've ever
enjoyed exercising is the one between my ears. - Beryl Hales, Radio Times
24-30 March 2012

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<uc85nf$3ile7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17293&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17293

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:58:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tpYr7dXuaL/qIT6EsPoUbveDIj0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 17:58 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <kkpch4Fc9m1U1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 24 Aug 2023
> 16:49:55, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>> believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of
>> the play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but
>> members of a new species that has developed after some sort of
>> apocalypse. I'd ove to know the title/author and find out if any
>> recordings of this still exist.
>>

> Like the "planet of the apes" film(s). Actually I think it's a not that
> uncommon idea in post-apocalyptical - or, just far future - sci-fi.
>
> _My_ OT play I'd like to find again - I think might be from the '90s,
> though could be '80s or this century - is one about a piano, told from
> the point of view _of_ the piano - its existence over many decades, as
> concert grand, air-raid shelter cheerer, mouse home, etc.; IIRR it was
> called Joanna.

There was a story I saw in the middle / late sixties to seventy about
people who were living an existence within a protected world of unspecified
size but one was led to believe that it could be comparable with the Earth.
The story showed everyone was going about their own lives and cared for
others and all was ‘hunky dorey’ so to speak. Then the ‘camera’ pulls back
from this world and shows something like a golf ball and it become apparent
that what we had seen was all happening within the golf ball like globe -
then a foot treads on it and it is crushed…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkpmm2Ffql0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17294&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17294

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:43:12 +0100
 by: John Armstrong - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:43 UTC

On 24/08/2023 16:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
> believed to be of an earlier civilisation.  It is only at the end of the
> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse.  I'd
> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
> still exist.

Could it be this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slide

If so, a recording is available (at a price!) from a South American river.

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<nnd$78a169ab$1abe9619@4c8fdc3c26287aab>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17296&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17296

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:09:38 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: Sjouke Burry - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:09 UTC

On 24.08.23 17:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
> believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
> still exist.

search on archive sites for the next files.
I dont remember where I found them.
QuatermassAndThePit-1.mp4
QuatermassAndThePit-2.mp4
QuatermassAndThePit-3.mp4
QuatermassAndThePit-4.mp4
QuatermassAndThePit-5.mp4
QuatermassAndThePit-6.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_1.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_2.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_3.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_4.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_5.mp4
Quatermass_II_Episode_6.mp4

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<nnd$34eea193$656aeedc@8ed1f458588d7556>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17297&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17297

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:29:16 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: Sjouke Burry - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:29 UTC

On 24.08.23 21:09, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 24.08.23 17:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>> believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
>> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
>> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
>> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
>> still exist.
>>

> search on archive sites for the next files.
> I dont remember where I found them.
> QuatermassAndThePit-1.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-2.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-3.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-4.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-5.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-6.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_1.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_2.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_3.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_4.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_5.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_6.mp4

Might be at :
> https://archive.org

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<nnd$5f3e065d$0eabdd49@ec9a8f02bd112722>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17298&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17298

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:37:20 +0200
From: burrynulnulfour@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: Sjouke Burry - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:37 UTC

On 24.08.23 21:29, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 24.08.23 21:09, Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> On 24.08.23 17:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>>> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>>> believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
>>> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
>>> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
>>> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
>>> still exist.
>>>

>> search on archive sites for the next files.
>> I dont remember where I found them.
>> QuatermassAndThePit-1.mp4
>> QuatermassAndThePit-2.mp4
>> QuatermassAndThePit-3.mp4
>> QuatermassAndThePit-4.mp4
>> QuatermassAndThePit-5.mp4
>> QuatermassAndThePit-6.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_1.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_2.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_3.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_4.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_5.mp4
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_6.mp4
>>
> Might be at :
>> https://archive.org

Yep.
Search term:
https://archive.org/search?query=Quatermass

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<12589a3a-7ba3-448e-90bb-6d0593cc76b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17301&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17301

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 14:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 21:55 UTC

On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 5:31:17 PM UTC+1, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2023 16:49:55 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
> > Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
> > in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
> > believed to be of an earlier civilisation. It is only at the end of the
> > play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
> > of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse. I'd
> > ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
> > still exist.
> You could try searching the archive of RadioTimes
> https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/issues

I think Jim's suggestion is a good one and if you have narrowed it down to those two years then it ought not to take that long. Besides, think of the memories that those old programme listings will trigger!

I've just one more suggestion, Jenny: if you can remember anything else such as a character, actor or writer - or even if you can't - you might give Sutton Elms (suttonelms.org.uk) a try. It is an amazing resouce for radio play information (and quite a lot of other things as well).

Nick
nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkr7u1Fn5oiU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17303&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17303

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:43:45 +0100
 by: John Armstrong - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 08:43 UTC

On 24/08/2023 20:09, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> On 24.08.23 17:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>> believed to be of an earlier civilisation.  It is only at the end of the
>> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
>> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse.  I'd
>> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
>> still exist.
>>

> search on archive sites for the next files.
> I dont remember where I found them.
> QuatermassAndThePit-1.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-2.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-3.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-4.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-5.mp4
> QuatermassAndThePit-6.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_1.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_2.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_3.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_4.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_5.mp4
> Quatermass_II_Episode_6.mp4

Quatermass was a TV programme from the fifties. Not a radio programme
from 1966 or 1967.

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkrbtpFnrfvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17305&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17305

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:51:51 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:51 UTC

On 24/08/2023 22:55, Nick Odell wrote:
> I think Jim's suggestion is a good one and if you have narrowed it down to those two years then it ought not to take that long. Besides, think of the memories that those old programme listings will trigger!

Yes, that would be excellent if the Search actually worked. No matter
how much or how little I specify as Search criteria I either get
thousands of results including Sport, Music, etc or I get "No programmes
matched your search."

> I've just one more suggestion, Jenny: if you can remember anything else such as a character, actor or writer - or even if you can't - you might give Sutton Elms (suttonelms.org.uk) a try. It is an amazing resouce for radio play information (and quite a lot of other things as well).

That looks really promising but unfortunately doesn't (yet) seem to
cover plays in the particular years I am looking for.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<kkrd79Fmc55U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17306&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17306

From: news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 25 Aug 2023 10:14:01 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:14 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:51:51 +0100, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> On 24/08/2023 22:55, Nick Odell wrote:
>> I think Jim's suggestion is a good one and if you have narrowed it down
>> to those two years then it ought not to take that long. Besides, think
>> of the memories that those old programme listings will trigger!
>
> Yes, that would be excellent if the Search actually worked. No matter
> how much or how little I specify as Search criteria I either get
> thousands of results including Sport, Music, etc or I get "No programmes
> matched your search."

Did you select "radio only" in the "media type" filter? I assume you
already limited the date and time.

The database was created by OCR of scanned RadioTimes copies, so some
words might get mangled and hence not found.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: OT: A question for Umrats with very long memories

<J+t7RZXekO6kFwZY@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17314&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17314

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:47:10 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:47 UTC

In message <kkr7u1Fn5oiU3@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 25 Aug 2023
09:43:45, John Armstrong <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> writes
>On 24/08/2023 20:09, Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> On 24.08.23 17:49, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Does anyrat remember a radio play broadcast by the BBC in 1966 or 1967
>>> in which people are investigating a crater in which they find artifacts
>>> believed to be of an earlier civilisation.  It is only at the end of the
>>> play that we discover that these are not 20th Century humans but members
>>> of a new species that has developed after some sort of apocalypse.  I'd
>>> ove to know the title/author and find out if any recordings of this
>>> still exist.
[]
>> search on archive sites for the next files.
>> I dont remember where I found them.
>> QuatermassAndThePit-1.mp4
[]
>> Quatermass_II_Episode_1.mp4
[]

>Quatermass was a TV programme from the fifties. Not a radio programme
>from 1966 or 1967.

And, I think, a film or two - I think they might have been Hammer.

If you carry on hating, you're the one who's damaged.
- Sir Harold Atcherley, sent to the Burma/Siam railway in April 1943