[We] use bad software and bad machines for the wrong things. -- R. W. Hamming

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Very O/T but…

SubjectAuthor
* Very O/T but…Mike McMillan
+* Very O/T but?Vicky
|`* Very O/T but?J. P. Gilliver
| `* _Very_O/T_but…Joe Kerr
|  +* Very O/T but?Vicky
|  |+* Very O/T but?J. P. Gilliver
|  ||`* Very O/T but?Vicky
|  || `* Very O/T but?J. P. Gilliver
|  ||  `* Very O/T but?Vicky
|  ||   `- Very O/T but?J. P. Gilliver
|  |+* Very O/T but?krw
|  ||`* Very O/T but?Vicky
|  || `* Very O/T but?krw
|  ||  +* Very O/T but?Jenny M Benson
|  ||  |+- Very O/T but?krw
|  ||  |+- Very O/T but?Vicky
|  ||  |`* Very O/T but?Steve Hague
|  ||  | `- Very O/T but?John Ashby
|  ||  +- Very O/T but?Vicky
|  ||  `* Very O/T but?Sam Plusnet
|  ||   +- Very O/T but?Paul Herber
|  ||   `* Very O/T but?Penny
|  ||    `* Very O/T but?Nick Odell
|  ||     `- Very O/T but?Sam Plusnet
|  |+* Very O/T but?Joe Kerr
|  ||`* Very O/T but?krw
|  || +- Very O/T but?Vicky
|  || `- Very O/T but?Sam Plusnet
|  |`- Very O/T but?Mike Headon
|  `* Very O/T butChris
|   +- Very O/T butJoe Kerr
|   `* Very O/T butJ. P. Gilliver
|    `- Very O/T butSam Plusnet
+- _Very_O/T_but…Joe Kerr
`- Very O/T but…Chris

Pages:12
Very O/T but…

<ucg2iv$194a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17334&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17334

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Very O/T but…
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:53:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KFunAkP/HO5/cerQw/VMPr34SjQ=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:53 UTC

Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but should
autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Very O/T but?

<gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17335&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17335

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Very O/T but???
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:32:44 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 18:32 UTC

On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:53:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but should
>autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
>would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
>inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!

I thinkthat the idea is the human must be on stand by and ready to
take over?

Re: Very O/T but…

<ucg9g6$1aagg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17336&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17336

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 20:51:33 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:51 UTC

On 27/08/2023 18:53, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but should
> autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
> would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
> inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!

The visually handicapped would be in a position to come and go at will
whilst being totally unaware of their impending involvement in a
catastrophic IT failure.

Those with mobility problems will be readily able to visit far more
places of interest and discover that they don't have any suitable
bathroom facilities.

Everyone who is accustomed to needing assistance whilst travelling will
discover the pleasure of getting stuck in a traffic jam with nobody to
talk to and no idea what is happening.

Everyone will be spared an allegedly stereotypical monologue of
offensive assortedist and sports from taxi and minicab drivers who
attempted to refuse to carry their assistance animal whilst listening to
some appalling music. (It's easier to say that I meant the driver was
listening to the music, not the animal, than to rewrite the sentence.)

--
Ric

Re: Very O/T but?

<TVFNbfE4PB7kFwBm@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17343&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17343

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 04:26:48 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 03:26 UTC

In message <gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com> at Sun, 27 Aug
2023 19:32:44, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:53:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
><toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but should
>>autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
>>would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
>>inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!

I fear Joe's response is closer to the truth, but in theory, VH folk
would I presume be able to buy and use (with appropriate user interface
for entering instructions) autonomous vehicles just the same as anyone
else.

>I thinkthat the idea is the human must be on stand by and ready to
>take over?

I think it's been established that humans are particularly bad at that -
i. e. letting a machine work most of the time but noticing it has gone
wrong. Autopilots on planes, for example. If anything it's harder than
doing the controlling manually anyway.

I admire you British: when things get tough, you reach for humour. Not
firearms. - Sigourney (Susan) Weaver, RT 2017/11/4-10

Re: Very O/T but…

<uchq69$1l02d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17349&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17349

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:42:31 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 09:42 UTC

On 28/08/2023 04:26, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com> at Sun, 27 Aug
> 2023 19:32:44, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:53:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but
>>> should
>>> autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
>>> would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
>>> inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!
>
> I fear Joe's response is closer to the truth, but in theory, VH folk
> would I presume be able to buy and use (with appropriate user interface
> for entering instructions) autonomous vehicles just the same as anyone
> else.

I take it that Mike's original question was in response to hearing the
same program about San Francisco that I did the other day. It appears
that you need a smartphone in order to open the door and then need to
use a touchscreen in the car in order to make it go. So the reality is
that many(?) would be unable to use them and so it would make no difference.

There is an article this morning from the same chap at
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66611513 looking at the public
response rather than how it works.

>> I thinkthat the idea is the human must be on stand by and ready to
>> take over?
>
> I think it's been established that humans are particularly bad at that -
> i. e. letting a machine work most of the time but noticing it has gone
> wrong. Autopilots on planes, for example. If anything it's harder than
> doing the controlling manually anyway.

--
Ric

Re: Very O/T but?

<2rroei9rearrdmi33bvc41j5gdnr2nf66f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17355&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17355

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:01:19 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:01 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 10:42:31 +0100, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
wrote:

>On 28/08/2023 04:26, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com> at Sun, 27 Aug
>> 2023 19:32:44, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>> I fear Joe's response is closer to the truth, but in theory, VH folk
>> would I presume be able to buy and use (with appropriate user interface
>> for entering instructions) autonomous vehicles just the same as anyone
>> else.
>
>I take it that Mike's original question was in response to hearing the
>same program about San Francisco that I did the other day. It appears
>that you need a smartphone in order to open the door and then need to
>use a touchscreen in the car in order to make it go. So the reality is
>that many(?) would be unable to use them and so it would make no difference.
>
>There is an article this morning from the same chap at
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66611513 looking at the public
>response rather than how it works.
>

>>> I thinkthat the idea is the human must be on stand by and ready to
>>> take over?
>>
>> I think it's been established that humans are particularly bad at that -
>> i. e. letting a machine work most of the time but noticing it has gone
>> wrong. Autopilots on planes, for example. If anything it's harder than
>> doing the controlling manually anyway.

What I love about the all electric car is that you can turn the
heating on from the house. It also sends messages if the doors are not
locked or you can check how much charge is still there, mileage
possible etc. And when charging, which we do at home via the back
gate, it tells you when it is finished. When I go out with the key in
my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.
'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the
speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.

Re: Very O/T but?

<wuw1F2OvGI7kFw3X@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17356&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17356

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:14:55 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:14 UTC

In message <2rroei9rearrdmi33bvc41j5gdnr2nf66f@4ax.com> at Mon, 28 Aug
2023 11:01:19, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
[]
>What I love about the all electric car is that you can turn the
>heating on from the house. It also sends messages if the doors are not

Those two, presumably, do not need to be exclusive to electric cars.

>locked or you can check how much charge is still there, mileage
>possible etc. And when charging, which we do at home via the back
>gate, it tells you when it is finished. When I go out with the key in

Is all this interaction via a smartphone only, or can they use email/web
interface?

>my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
>is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
>'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.

Don't think I'd mind that one. (Depends on parameters, I guess.)

>'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the

Depends how loud.

>speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
>drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.

I wonder what the legal implications are of that last one. And whether
it can be disabled. (In particular, does it report - or even just log -
any case of you not doing so - especially the "carefully" one.)

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Søren Kierkegaard, Danish Philosopher

Re: Very O/T but?

<eB2cnZHZUYt6DXH5nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17360&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17360

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:19:52 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:19 UTC

On 28.8.23 11:01, Vicky wrote:
> When I go out with the key in
> my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
> is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
> 'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.
> 'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the
> speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
> drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.

My car does similar things but has only got a petrol engine.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Very O/T but?

<h55peitijcdvvtr89d0970d8lsl143gln9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17362&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17362

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:38:07 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:38 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:14:55 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>Is all this interaction via a smartphone only, or can they use email/web
>interface?
Not sure.

>>my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
>>is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
>>'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.
>
>Don't think I'd mind that one. (Depends on parameters, I guess.)
>
>>'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the
>
>Depends how loud.
Very obviously. I think there are 2 of those. Ican disable one butnot
found the other.

>>speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
>>drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.
>>
>I wonder what the legal implications are of that last one. And whether
>it can be disabled. (In particular, does it report - or even just log -
>any case of you not doing so - especially the "carefully" one.)

It is not actually carefuolly. Forget the wording but the screen won't
change to go to navigation or radio for a while but then changes.

Re: Very O/T but?

<4a5peip000b75bsid3n5e7fsv9h0v804t6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17363&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17363

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:39:19 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:39 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:19:52 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 28.8.23 11:01, Vicky wrote:
>> When I go out with the key in
>> my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
>> is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
>> 'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.
>> 'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the
>> speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
>> drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.
>
>My car does similar things but has only got a petrol engine.

Does it turn the heater on from the house? We had a hybrid first and
that did it toom but I thought it was the electric bit did it. All
uses like heater help use the battery though.

Re: Very O/T but?

<QICdnZyPWd1fNHH5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17367&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17367

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:05:56 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:05 UTC

On 28.8.23 13:39, Vicky wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 13:19:52 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 28.8.23 11:01, Vicky wrote:
>>> When I go out with the key in
>>> my pocket the door unlocks. Press a button on the handle to go in. It
>>> is a bit pushy though. Like your nanny in the car.
>>> 'The car ahead is moving on now' in stationary traffic.
>>> 'Beep beep' when you change lanes. and the main screen tells you the
>>> speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
>>> drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.
>>
>> My car does similar things but has only got a petrol engine.
>
> Does it turn the heater on from the house? We had a hybrid first and
> that did it toom but I thought it was the electric bit did it. All
> uses like heater help use the battery though.

Ahh. When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
connected to t' interwebby thingy. How can I go to secret places if my
wife know where the car is?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Very O/T but?

<kl3prjF2d61U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17374&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17374

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:38:41 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:38 UTC

On 28/08/2023 15:05, krw wrote:
> When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
> connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret places if my
> wife know where the car is?

I recently listened to a podcast about a murder in Wales where the
murderer had driven a Land Rover. (One of those modern poncey things
which bear no relation to a REAL Land Rover.) The Police were able to
access a database which told them not just where and when he had driven
but at what precise time and place he had opened and closed the book!

I remembered that my brother had a Discovery with dashcam and told us
that he had discovered that the dashcam was recording all the
conversation between him and his wife.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Very O/T but?

<sKKcnVIjtap-LHH5nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17375&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17375

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:40:37 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:40 UTC

On 28.8.23 15:38, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 28/08/2023 15:05, krw wrote:
>> When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no
>> longer connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret
>> places if my wife know where the car is?
>
> I recently listened to a podcast about a murder in Wales where the
> murderer had driven a Land Rover.  (One of those modern poncey things
> which bear no relation to a REAL Land Rover.)  The Police were able to
> access a database which told them not just where and when he had driven
> but at what precise time and place he had opened and closed the book!
>
> I remembered that my brother had a Discovery with dashcam and told us
> that he had discovered that the dashcam was recording all the
> conversation between him and his wife.

I believe someone once wrote a book about being watched by a larger male
relative?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Very O/T but…

<ucigcv$1ov0d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17390&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17390

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:01:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:16UglIA7sdiBhMO55wj/4R5N98A=
 by: Chris - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:01 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Ok, I am not able to drive due to ‘keeping death off the roads’ but should
> autonomous self driving cars become available and legal in the UK, how
> would the future for the visually handicapped and others with other
> inabilities to drive be change? Discuss please!

During one of the more lenient times in lockdown, “In Touch” discussed
this. They went to Blind Veterans (in old money St Dunstan’s) and a group
of them, who had been fit to drive until (mostly these were current war
wounded) and they put the cars through their paces, not just driving but
getting in/out car handling etc.

Mrs McT

Re: Very O/T but

<ucigd0$1ov0d$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17391&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17391

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:01:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oYiocFdxAMh5SR8ecx+YubUPZ8I=
 by: Chris - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:01 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 28/08/2023 04:26, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com> at Sun, 27 Aug
>> 2023 19:32:44, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>> I fear Joe's response is closer to the truth, but in theory, VH folk
>> would I presume be able to buy and use (with appropriate user interface
>> for entering instructions) autonomous vehicles just the same as anyone
>> else.
>
> I take it that Mike's original question was in response to hearing the
> same program about San Francisco that I did the other day. It appears
> that you need a smartphone in order to open the door and then need to
> use a touchscreen in the car in order to make it go. So the reality is
> that many(?) would be unable to use them and so it would make no difference.
>
> There is an article this morning from the same chap at
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66611513 looking at the public
> response rather than how it works.
>

>>> I thinkthat the idea is the human must be on stand by and ready to
>>> take over?
>>
>> I think it's been established that humans are particularly bad at that -
>> i. e. letting a machine work most of the time but noticing it has gone
>> wrong. Autopilots on planes, for example. If anything it's harder than
>> doing the controlling manually anyway.

I saw an article the other day about Robot taxis in SF, they’ve not been
very safe!

Mrs McT

Re: Very O/T but

<ucij5f$1pfg9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17400&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17400

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 17:48:46 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:48 UTC

On 28/08/2023 17:01, Chris wrote:
> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
>> On 28/08/2023 04:26, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <gl5neipq8jcg03js03p7cfhhlec5qg67t2@4ax.com> at Sun, 27 Aug
>>> 2023 19:32:44, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>>> I fear Joe's response is closer to the truth, but in theory, VH folk
>>> would I presume be able to buy and use (with appropriate user interface
>>> for entering instructions) autonomous vehicles just the same as anyone
>>> else.
>>
>> I take it that Mike's original question was in response to hearing the
>> same program about San Francisco that I did the other day. It appears
>> that you need a smartphone in order to open the door and then need to
>> use a touchscreen in the car in order to make it go. So the reality is
>> that many(?) would be unable to use them and so it would make no difference.
>>
>> There is an article this morning from the same chap at
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66611513 looking at the public
>> response rather than how it works.

>>> I think it's been established that humans are particularly bad at that -
>>> i. e. letting a machine work most of the time but noticing it has gone
>>> wrong. Autopilots on planes, for example. If anything it's harder than
>>> doing the controlling manually anyway.
>>

> I saw an article the other day about Robot taxis in SF, they’ve not been
> very safe!
>
> Mrs McT

They are perfectly safe. They (apparently) only have accidents with
other vehicles that are not following the rules - like fire engines.

--
Ric

Re: Very O/T but?

<13kpeil5pgnbeaenb5jqtk3vhuu21i2bv2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17401&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17401

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 17:52:08 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:52 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:05:56 +0100, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 28.8.23 13:39, Vicky wrote:

>>> My car does similar things but has only got a petrol engine.
>>
>> Does it turn the heater on from the house? We had a hybrid first and
>> that did it toom but I thought it was the electric bit did it. All
>> uses like heater help use the battery though.
>
>Ahh. When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
>connected to t' interwebby thingy. How can I go to secret places if my
>wife know where the car is?

There is a tracket disc on the car keys and then FindMyPhone on my
mobile so B can always check where I am and I think we can see where
the car is if it is nicked. Oh. But only if they have the keys.

Re: Very O/T but?

<i6kpei9p5033d9m86rfpf6ehnde3hrsi9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17402&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17402

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 17:55:30 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 16:55 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 15:38:41 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 28/08/2023 15:05, krw wrote:
>> When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
>> connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret places if my
>> wife know where the car is?
>
>I recently listened to a podcast about a murder in Wales where the
>murderer had driven a Land Rover. (One of those modern poncey things
>which bear no relation to a REAL Land Rover.) The Police were able to
>access a database which told them not just where and when he had driven
>but at what precise time and place he had opened and closed the book!
>
>I remembered that my brother had a Discovery with dashcam and told us
>that he had discovered that the dashcam was recording all the
>conversation between him and his wife.

Some years ago we had a Vauxhall Meriva and it had Onestar, a freee
thing connected to the internet and help available. It also tracked
you if you had an accident. If there was an icon flashing on the car
that I didn't understand I could call and ask and when I collected
granddaughter from nurseryone day and we got to the car and found one
tyre flat I rang them and they sent a repair person. The whole thing
was very reassuring but then Vauxall stopped it after a year or two
and said you can pay to have it. And now I think Onestar closed.

Re: Very O/T but?

<Mm8HM.457621$DZcb.438801@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17407&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17407

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:31:24 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 21:31 UTC

On 28-Aug-23 15:05, krw wrote:
> On 28.8.23 13:39, Vicky wrote:

>>> My car does similar things but has only got a petrol engine.
>>
>> Does it turn the heater on from the house? We had a hybrid first and
>> that did it toom but I thought it was the electric bit did it. All
>> uses like heater help use the battery though.
>
> Ahh.  When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
> connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret places if my
> wife know where the car is?

I have heard it claimed that BMW have mastered the art of building very
gadget known to mankind into each car - and then charging a monthly fee
to use them.
If you want the heated seats to work, that will be £xx a year thank you
very much.
Oh you want the brakes to work? That will be...

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Very O/T but?

<ph9rei5bfd7qr2gl4teqfep33jh85pjg50@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17413&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17413

From: paul@paulherber.co.uk (Paul Herber)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:03:33 +0100
 by: Paul Herber - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:03 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:31:24 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 28-Aug-23 15:05, krw wrote:

>>> Does it turn the heater on from the house? We had a hybrid first and
>>> that did it toom but I thought it was the electric bit did it. All
>>> uses like heater help use the battery though.
>>
>> Ahh.  When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no longer
>> connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret places if my
>> wife know where the car is?
>>
>I have heard it claimed that BMW have mastered the art of building very
>gadget known to mankind into each car - and then charging a monthly fee
>to use them.
>If you want the heated seats to work, that will be £xx a year thank you
>very much.
>Oh you want the brakes to work? That will be...

Why don't you just stop it! Oh, you can't.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Re: Very O/T but?

<ugareidknp1m0m28ncckmfr105c3c3kvek@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17414&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17414

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:20:44 +0100
 by: Penny - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:20 UTC

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:31:24 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...

>I have heard it claimed that BMW have mastered the art of building very
>gadget known to mankind into each car - and then charging a monthly fee
>to use them.
>If you want the heated seats to work, that will be £xx a year thank you
>very much.

You mean BMW drivers are just too mean to activate the indicators?
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Very O/T but?

<kl5q7lFfnloU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17415&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17415

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:57:25 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:57 UTC

On 28/08/2023 15:38, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 28/08/2023 15:05, krw wrote:
>> When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no
>> longer connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret
>> places if my wife know where the car is?
>
> I recently listened to a podcast about a murder in Wales where the
> murderer had driven a Land Rover.  (One of those modern poncey things
> which bear no relation to a REAL Land Rover.)  The Police were able to
> access a database which told them not just where and when he had driven
> but at what precise time and place he had opened and closed the book!
>
> I remembered that my brother had a Discovery with dashcam and told us
> that he had discovered that the dashcam was recording all the
> conversation between him and his wife.

What a horrible thought. My wife denigrates my driving all the time I'm
driving, but doesn't volunteer to do it herself. I wouldn't like to have
an audio recording of the one sided conversation. I know when to keep my
mouth shut.

Re: Very O/T but?

<7034cc07-fe71-4511-a76a-df30b65c6a55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17420&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17420

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 03:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:35 UTC

On Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 9:20:51 AM UTC+1, Penny wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:31:24 +0100, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> scrawled in
> the dust...
> >I have heard it claimed that BMW have mastered the art of building very
> >gadget known to mankind into each car - and then charging a monthly fee
> >to use them.
> >If you want the heated seats to work, that will be x a year thank you
> >very much.
>
> You mean BMW drivers are just too mean to activate the indicators?

:^)

N.

Re: Very O/T but?

<ucl2bt$2ab3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17426&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17426

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:20:29 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 15:20 UTC

On 29/08/2023 09:57, Steve Hague wrote:
> On 28/08/2023 15:38, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 28/08/2023 15:05, krw wrote:
>>> When it first arrived it had t'interwebby connectivity thingy all
>>> available but when I refused to pay the licence fee the car is no
>>> longer connected to t' interwebby thingy.  How can I go to secret
>>> places if my wife know where the car is?
>>
>> I recently listened to a podcast about a murder in Wales where the
>> murderer had driven a Land Rover.  (One of those modern poncey things
>> which bear no relation to a REAL Land Rover.)  The Police were able to
>> access a database which told them not just where and when he had
>> driven but at what precise time and place he had opened and closed the
>> book!
>>
>> I remembered that my brother had a Discovery with dashcam and told us
>> that he had discovered that the dashcam was recording all the
>> conversation between him and his wife.
>>
> What a horrible thought. My wife denigrates my driving all the time I'm
> driving, but doesn't volunteer to do it herself. I wouldn't like to have
> an audio recording of the one sided conversation. I know when to keep my
> mouth shut.

And presumably who not to teach how to use Usenet.

john

Re: Very O/T but?

<x4YSVzh5nh7kFwHh@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17429&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17429

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 17:16:57 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 16:16 UTC

In message <h55peitijcdvvtr89d0970d8lsl143gln9@4ax.com> at Mon, 28 Aug
2023 13:38:07, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
[]
>>>speed limit where you are and to start the car you have to agree to
>>>drive carefully and legally on the touch screen.
>>>
>>I wonder what the legal implications are of that last one. And whether
>>it can be disabled. (In particular, does it report - or even just log -
>>any case of you not doing so - especially the "carefully" one.)
>
>It is not actually carefuolly. Forget the wording but the screen won't
>change to go to navigation or radio for a while but then changes.

Not quite with you - do you mean if you _don't_ promise to be a good
boy/girl, it still lets you use it after "a while"?

In 1969, Britain had towns full of soot, blackened buildings, and half the
population had no TV or cars - or inside loos. - James Burke, RT 2019/7/6-12