FOOLED you! Absorb EGO SHATTERING impulse rays, polyester poltroon!!

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Magic moments

SubjectAuthor
* Magic momentsPete Fisher
`* Magic momentsTurby
 +* Magic momentsStephen Packer
 |`* Magic momentsPete Fisher
 | `* Magic momentssiwilson
 |  +- Magic momentsStephen Packer
 |  `* Magic momentsTim
 |   `- Magic momentssiwilson
 `* Magic momentspetrolcan
  `- Magic momentsTurby

1
Magic moments

<kjhu7fF1pgcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17451&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17451

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Magic moments
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:46:40 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:46 UTC

Well that was the biggest 'moment' riding on the road for years. An old
pal came over on his Triump Aventure triple thing and we went for a
bimble to the tea room at Wolverley via the Bridgnorth triangle. A
couple of cars in front were dawdling past Dudmaston and when we
reached the NSL coming out of Quatt (Boxerboy will know whereof I speak)
I signalled and stirred the 401 up to respectable rpm and started to
pass. Just as I was alongside the first one (some kind of SUV) the
F&*^er pulled out and nearly put me in the hedge on the other side of
the road. Accelerated like a cunt, so I just dodged to the right and let
him go.
Not long afterwards a sports bike tagged on behind us and as I guessed
blasted past. By this time the c&nt was baulked by a large HGV. Sure
enough, just as the sports bike closed in on them he did the same thing
with no signal. My pal says he didn't signal when pulling out on me and
that I definitely did before starting my manoeuvre.
Clearly rear observation zero, or perhaps a malevolent motorcyclist
hater. Just hung back so we got a decent run down the nice bends past
Shatterford lakes and he had gone when we reached the turn for Wolverley.
It had me fairly discombobulated, but a coffee and bacon bap restored
composure. Great chat with my pal, just like the old days on Pahnd
Island. Tried to convince him to get a 25 year old bike and do his local
VMCC runs. Like me he doesn't like going out just for a ride aimlessly.
--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Magic moments

<ub0kvm$167f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17459&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17459

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Magic moments
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:13:11 -0700
 by: Turby - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 18:13 UTC

On 8/9/2023 9:46 AM, Pete Fisher wrote:
> Well that was the biggest 'moment' riding on the road for years. An old
> pal came over on his Triump Aventure triple thing and we went for a
> bimble to the tea room at Wolverley via the Bridgnorth triangle. A
> couple of cars in front  were dawdling past Dudmaston  and when we
> reached the NSL coming out of Quatt (Boxerboy will know whereof I speak)
> I signalled and stirred the 401 up to respectable rpm and started to
> pass. Just as I was alongside the first one (some kind of SUV) the
> F&*^er pulled out and nearly put me in the hedge on the other side of
> the road. Accelerated like a cunt, so I just dodged to the right and let
> him go.
> Not long afterwards a sports bike tagged on behind us and as I guessed
> blasted past. By this time the c&nt was baulked by a large HGV. Sure
> enough, just as the sports bike closed in on them he did the same thing
> with no signal.  My pal says he didn't signal when pulling out on me and
> that I definitely did before starting my manoeuvre.

Far too many people over here never signal. I'd guess at least 50%.
There should be an AI app to prevent turns/lane changing without
signalling.

> Clearly rear observation zero, or perhaps a malevolent motorcyclist
> hater. Just hung back so we got a decent run down the nice bends past
> Shatterford lakes and he had gone when we reached the turn for Wolverley.
> It had me fairly discombobulated, but a coffee and bacon bap restored
> composure. Great chat with my pal, just like the old days on Pahnd
> Island. Tried to convince him to get a 25 year old bike and do his local
> VMCC runs. Like me he doesn't like going out just for a ride aimlessly.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Magic moments

<5c55912f-52b2-4e44-9c32-eb51ebec871en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17466&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17466

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 14:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 21:19 UTC

On Wednesday, 9 August 2023 at 19:13:12 UTC+1, Turby wrote:

> Far too many people over here never signal. I'd guess at least 50%.
> There should be an AI app to prevent turns/lane changing without
> signalling.

My car provides some resistance to moving out of the centre of my lane
if I'm not indicating. I can easily over-ride it though.

Car tech's pretty amazing really. I can set it to just about auto-drive itself
on a motorway; set the speed I'd like to go and the minimum distance from
the car in front then all I've got to do is rest my hands on the steering wheel.
It pretty much manages the steering (if I'm staying in lane) and the throttle
taking me up to the speed I want to go, or to the set distance from the car
in front (if it's travelling slower than I've set cruise control).

Also warns me if there's something in my blind spot with amber lights
in the mirrors.

Really quite amazing. But, of course it'll mean no one ever looks over
their shoulder or really does any active 'driving'.

Must admit, all things considered I prefer *driving* my old Subaru Forester
though. Hope it gets through its next MOT.

Re: Magic moments

<MPG.3f3e1519f71e79be98978e@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17468&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17468

From: petrolcan@gmail.com (petrolcan)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 22:27:43 +0100
 by: petrolcan - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 21:27 UTC

In article <ub0kvm$167f$2@dont-email.me>, Turby says...

> On 8/9/2023 9:46 AM, Pete Fisher wrote:

> > Not long afterwards a sports bike tagged on behind us and as I guessed
> > blasted past. By this time the c&nt was baulked by a large HGV. Sure
> > enough, just as the sports bike closed in on them he did the same thing
> > with no signal.  My pal says he didn't signal when pulling out on me and
> > that I definitely did before starting my manoeuvre.
>
> Far too many people over here never signal. I'd guess at least 50%.
> There should be an AI app to prevent turns/lane changing without
> signalling.

All well and good but how many other road users have you seen indicate and manoeuvre immediately
into a space that doesn't exist.

Now, an AI that delivers multiple volts, that I could get behind :)

Re: Magic moments

<ub15uc$3h4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17469&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17469

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:02:37 -0700
 by: Turby - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 23:02 UTC

On 8/9/2023 2:27 PM, petrolcan wrote:
> In article <ub0kvm$167f$2@dont-email.me>, Turby says...
>>
>> On 8/9/2023 9:46 AM, Pete Fisher wrote:
>
>>> Not long afterwards a sports bike tagged on behind us and as I guessed
>>> blasted past. By this time the c&nt was baulked by a large HGV. Sure
>>> enough, just as the sports bike closed in on them he did the same thing
>>> with no signal.  My pal says he didn't signal when pulling out on me and
>>> that I definitely did before starting my manoeuvre.
>>
>> Far too many people over here never signal. I'd guess at least 50%.
>> There should be an AI app to prevent turns/lane changing without
>> signalling.
>
> All well and good but how many other road users have you seen indicate and manoeuvre immediately
> into a space that doesn't exist.

Oh yeah. A sizeable percentage of those who do indicate, do it _as_ they
are moving over. (State law here mandates 100' _before_ you start.)

> Now, an AI that delivers multiple volts, that I could get behind :)

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Magic moments

<kjjdi2F94a7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17472&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17472

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 07:14:26 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 06:14 UTC

On 09/08/2023 22:19, Stephen Packer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 August 2023 at 19:13:12 UTC+1, Turby wrote:
>
>> Far too many people over here never signal. I'd guess at least 50%.
>> There should be an AI app to prevent turns/lane changing without
>> signalling.
>
> My car provides some resistance to moving out of the centre of my lane
> if I'm not indicating. I can easily over-ride it though.
>
> Car tech's pretty amazing really. I can set it to just about auto-drive itself
> on a motorway; set the speed I'd like to go and the minimum distance from
> the car in front then all I've got to do is rest my hands on the steering wheel.
> It pretty much manages the steering (if I'm staying in lane) and the throttle
> taking me up to the speed I want to go, or to the set distance from the car
> in front (if it's travelling slower than I've set cruise control).
>
> Also warns me if there's something in my blind spot with amber lights
> in the mirrors.
>
> Really quite amazing. But, of course it'll mean no one ever looks over
> their shoulder or really does any active 'driving'.
>
> Must admit, all things considered I prefer *driving* my old Subaru Forester
> though. Hope it gets through its next MOT.

That 'lane assist' on SWMBO's Mazda and now my Mini freaks me out.

Pretty sure I wasn't in this twat's blind spot, unless they were
officially visually impaired.

The Wolverhampton area is particularly bad for seemingly indicator-less
vehicles but this was out in leafy Shropshire.

Also many drivers who don't understand what an amber traffic light
means. Turning right at lights is fraught when people coming the other
way take amber as "floor it". The bastards are often still coming when
'your' light has turned to green.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Magic moments

<kjjpikFb6hcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17479&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17479

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:39:33 +0100
 by: siwilson - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:39 UTC

On 10/08/2023 07:14, Pete Fisher wrote:
> That 'lane assist' on SWMBO's Mazda and now my Mini freaks me out.

Oh hell aye. We rented a car (Hyundai something or other) in Canada
earlier in the year and I wondered what on earth was going on with the
steering, especially when cornering. I didn't trust it to actually steer
the car fully hands off but I felt that it could. The only gizmo I
thought was ok was the little yellow arrow in the mirrors when there was
something nearby on that side.

--
/Simon

Re: Magic moments

<4403eaf7-3239-4517-94cb-216dd8d164c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17501&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17501

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 15:17 UTC

On Thursday, 10 August 2023 at 10:39:35 UTC+1, siwilson wrote:
> On 10/08/2023 07:14, Pete Fisher wrote:
> > That 'lane assist' on SWMBO's Mazda and now my Mini freaks me out.
> Oh hell aye. We rented a car (Hyundai something or other) in Canada
> earlier in the year and I wondered what on earth was going on with the
> steering, especially when cornering. I didn't trust it to actually steer
> the car fully hands off but I felt that it could. The only gizmo I
> thought was ok was the little yellow arrow in the mirrors when there was
> something nearby on that side.

That gizmo is kind of OK but it's going to stop people looking over their shoulders
then as soon as they're in a car without such gizmos...

Re: Magic moments

<ubcpq6$2810e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17581&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17581

From: nobody@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:49:06 +0100
 by: Tim - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 08:49 UTC

On 10/08/2023 10:39, siwilson wrote:
> On 10/08/2023 07:14, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> That 'lane assist' on SWMBO's Mazda and now my Mini freaks me out.
>
> Oh hell aye. We rented a car (Hyundai something or other) in Canada
> earlier in the year and I wondered what on earth was going on with the
> steering, especially when cornering. I didn't trust it to actually steer
> the car fully hands off but I felt that it could. The only gizmo I
> thought was ok was the little yellow arrow in the mirrors when there was
> something nearby on that side.

Did you rent from Avis? I've just returned from Newfoundland and the
bastards have just charged £550 against my CC and I had already got all
the waivers in advance. A "disagreement" with them is currently ongoing.

Speaking to some other friends it seems that this is common with Avis
Canada.

Re: Magic moments

<kjubevF2aqlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17583&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17583

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 10:46:08 +0100
 by: siwilson - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 09:46 UTC

On 14/08/2023 09:49, Tim wrote:
> On 10/08/2023 10:39, siwilson wrote:
>> On 10/08/2023 07:14, Pete Fisher wrote:
>>> That 'lane assist' on SWMBO's Mazda and now my Mini freaks me out.
>>
>> Oh hell aye. We rented a car (Hyundai something or other) in Canada
>> earlier in the year and I wondered what on earth was going on with the
>> steering, especially when cornering. I didn't trust it to actually
>> steer the car fully hands off but I felt that it could. The only gizmo
>> I thought was ok was the little yellow arrow in the mirrors when there
>> was something nearby on that side.
>>

> Did you rent from Avis? I've just returned from Newfoundland and the
> bastards have just charged £550 against my CC and I had already got all
> the waivers in advance. A "disagreement" with them is currently ongoing.
>
> Speaking to some other friends it seems that this is common with Avis
> Canada.

No it was some twobit shitbox company, also coincidentally in Canada. I
ticked all the insurance boxes and they offered a really good rate, I
went to pick up the car and then they asked for evidence of my own
insurance. Huh? I ended up paying some extra ridiculous amount of money.

I have been burned before with rentals in Candada, it could well have
been Avis that time. I returned the car on a Sunday when the depot was
not open. I got a bill later for several hundred, they offered no proof
of the damage. Luckily, back then I used to visit pretty frequently -
so, the next time I went back and had a massive yelling match with the
manager. They gave me my money back.

--
/Simon