To avoid suffocation, keep away from children.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Aquired a MacBook Pro...

SubjectAuthor
* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt
+- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Alan B
+- Aquired a MacBook Pro...nospam
+- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Jaimie Vandenbergh
`* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Mark
 `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt
  `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Theo
   `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt
    `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...J. J. Lodder
     +- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Theo
     +* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt
     |`* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Theo
     | `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...J. J. Lodder
     |  `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Chris Ridd
     |   +- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Bruce Horrocks
     |   `- Aquired a MacBook Pro...J. J. Lodder
     `* Aquired a MacBook Pro...Bruce Horrocks
      +* Aquired a MacBook Pro...J. J. Lodder
      |+- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt
      |`- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Bruce Horrocks
      `- Aquired a MacBook Pro...Andy Hewitt

1
Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u96po5$1ott9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17495&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17495

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Aquired a MacBook Pro...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:38:45 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:38 UTC

My daughter had been having trouble with her MBP (2017 13" 2x USB3 ports
model). Looked like a dying battery in the main.

She'd gone through loads of resets, reboots, and reinstalls, but still
had loads of stability issues (she's actually fairly OK with Macs, been
growing up with them :-)). Apple Geniuses didn't get too far, although
they got it booted up again, and confirmed the battery needed
'servicing' (yeah, just say it's fooked, and needs replacing).

Anyway, she just ended up buying a new Air, and stuffed the MBP in a
cupboard. Until she decided I might like to have a go with it.

So, it took some repeated tries to reset stuff, and reinstall from
scratch. For some reason it didn't like the Net installer at all, and
just kept failing. It was also showing multiple drive issues.

Evenutally, I managed to completely reformat the drive back to nothing
on it at all, and now shows no issues at all (DriveDX reports 100%
health and 95% life). I downloaded the Ventura installer using OCLP to
create a bootable external drive. Then booted from that, and installed
Ventura. That was successful, and the MBP booted up fine.

After a while, I manged to set it up for me, using a new user account,
rather than migrating over. Most of my stuff is in iCloud now anyway, so
other bits to carry across were minimal.

The dying battery is confirmed. However, it has been a little strange.
It started of a 65% life when I first started it up, but has gradually
worked back up to 79% (it's been plugged into a power supply since I got
it. It also shows 511 cycles.

I suspect some of her issues were that she was trying to use it, from
what I can gather, with an underpowered PSU (she'd lost the orginal). I
have it plugged into a 65W PD PSU, and that seems to be fine with it.
I've not had any problems as yet.

It's only other matter is the keyboard is a little iffy too - missing
the spacebar, and typing two letters at once (not adjacent ones on the
keyboard). I've used it with both my old USB full size Mac keyboard, and
my old wireless one (actually came with the iMac).

My hope is that I can use this instead of my iMac for the bits I don't
do on the iPad. I probably wouldn't want it as my primary device,
knowing it has some issues. I don't actually need it as a laptop, it can
sit on the desk in place of the iMac.

I know the batteries are on the way out. What's the likelyhood these
could cause more concerning issues as they age further? (like expanding,
or catching fire). Can these be removed, and run the MBP without a battery?

The keyboard I'm not worried about, I'm happy using an external one.

Cheers.

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u96qsc$1p4oo$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17497&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17497

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:58:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 19:58 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I know the batteries are on the way out. What's the likelyhood these
> could cause more concerning issues as they age further? (like expanding,
> or catching fire). Can these be removed, and run the MBP without a battery?
>
> The keyboard I'm not worried about, I'm happy using an external one.

I was going to say it’s fine to run it without a battery until I saw this
on stackexchange:

<https://tinyurl.com/4tpskyxc>

It is well-known that any MacBook with battery removed will run at
significantly lower clock speed, typically around 1 GHz. The reason is that
the power supply is good enough to supply plenty of power for the average
usage, but not for bursts.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<180720231610243006%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17498&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17498

From: nospam@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:10:24 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 20:10 UTC

In article <u96po5$1ott9$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Hewitt
<thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> The dying battery is confirmed. However, it has been a little strange.
> It started of a 65% life when I first started it up, but has gradually
> worked back up to 79% (it's been plugged into a power supply since I got
> it. It also shows 511 cycles.
>
> I suspect some of her issues were that she was trying to use it, from
> what I can gather, with an underpowered PSU (she'd lost the orginal). I
> have it plugged into a 65W PD PSU, and that seems to be fine with it.
> I've not had any problems as yet.

that doesn't matter. the mac will draw as much power as it needs.

if the mac needs more power than the adapter can provide, it will stop
charging the battery and use all available power for the mac. under
high demand, the battery might discharge slowly if the adapter's
maximum is still insufficient.

> I know the batteries are on the way out. What's the likelyhood these
> could cause more concerning issues as they age further? (like expanding,
> or catching fire).

it's a valid concern, but it's probably just limited capacity.

if it starts to swell, get it replaced asap (or proactively before that
happens.

check ifixit for a self-repair. it might not be that difficult.

> Can these be removed, and run the MBP without a battery?

it can, but without a battery, it will not run at full speed.

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<khogrcFlnlqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17503&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17503

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 18 Jul 2023 22:08:44 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

On 18 Jul 2023 at 20:38:45 BST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com>
wrote:

> I know the batteries are on the way out. What's the likelyhood these
> could cause more concerning issues as they age further? (like expanding,
> or catching fire).

Fairly high on expanding. Since you can't sensibly run it without I'd
replace it, you can get a non-Apple one for half the price of an Apple
one.

I did that with my 2015 MB Adorable 12" with "Service now" battery
status, and it's no longer crashy. Was about £60 for the kit.

Cheers - Jaime
--
I hope I live long enough
to vindicate my pessimism

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u99eul$29rc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17517&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17517

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:52:53 +0100
 by: Mark - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:52 UTC

On 2023-07-18 19:38:45 +0000, Andy Hewitt said:

> My daughter had been having trouble with her MBP (2017 13" 2x USB3
> ports model). Looked like a dying battery in the main.
>
> She'd gone through loads of resets, reboots, and reinstalls, but still
> had loads of stability issues (she's actually fairly OK with Macs, been
> growing up with them :-)). Apple Geniuses didn't get too far, although
> they got it booted up again, and confirmed the battery needed
> 'servicing' (yeah, just say it's fooked, and needs replacing).
>
> Anyway, she just ended up buying a new Air, and stuffed the MBP in a
> cupboard. Until she decided I might like to have a go with it.
>
> So, it took some repeated tries to reset stuff, and reinstall from
> scratch. For some reason it didn't like the Net installer at all, and
> just kept failing. It was also showing multiple drive issues.
>
> Evenutally, I managed to completely reformat the drive back to nothing
> on it at all, and now shows no issues at all (DriveDX reports 100%
> health and 95% life). I downloaded the Ventura installer using OCLP to
> create a bootable external drive. Then booted from that, and installed
> Ventura. That was successful, and the MBP booted up fine.
>
> After a while, I manged to set it up for me, using a new user account,
> rather than migrating over. Most of my stuff is in iCloud now anyway,
> so other bits to carry across were minimal.
>
> The dying battery is confirmed. However, it has been a little strange.
> It started of a 65% life when I first started it up, but has gradually
> worked back up to 79% (it's been plugged into a power supply since I
> got it. It also shows 511 cycles.
>
> I suspect some of her issues were that she was trying to use it, from
> what I can gather, with an underpowered PSU (she'd lost the orginal). I
> have it plugged into a 65W PD PSU, and that seems to be fine with it.
> I've not had any problems as yet.
>
> It's only other matter is the keyboard is a little iffy too - missing
> the spacebar, and typing two letters at once (not adjacent ones on the
> keyboard). I've used it with both my old USB full size Mac keyboard,
> and my old wireless one (actually came with the iMac).
>
> My hope is that I can use this instead of my iMac for the bits I don't
> do on the iPad. I probably wouldn't want it as my primary device,
> knowing it has some issues. I don't actually need it as a laptop, it
> can sit on the desk in place of the iMac.
>
> I know the batteries are on the way out. What's the likelyhood these
> could cause more concerning issues as they age further? (like
> expanding, or catching fire). Can these be removed, and run the MBP
> without a battery?
>
> The keyboard I'm not worried about, I'm happy using an external one.
>
> Cheers.

Have you run it through Coconut Battery? Might give you some more info.
(jJst got a battery for my 11" MBA in the post today. Just doing a full
run-down/recharge cycle).
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u99ik0$2acsn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17520&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17520

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 21:55:28 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Wed, 19 Jul 2023 20:55 UTC

On 19/07/2023 20:52, Mark wrote:
> On 2023-07-18 19:38:45 +0000, Andy Hewitt said:
>
> Have you run it through Coconut Battery? Might give you some more info.
> (jJst got a battery for my 11" MBA in the post today. Just doing a full
> run-down/recharge cycle).

I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.

Just did a basic test using the free version for now.

Shows as:

Full Charge capacity - 97.2% (3695 mAh)
Design Capacity - 77.1% (4790 mAh)
Cycles 511
MacOS Battery Status - Good
Age - 2305 Days
Temp 34.2 C

On a slightly different note:

Annoyingly enough, my iPad Pro (2020 model) is showing as 80.2% Design
Capacity, and the Applecare+ runs out in Sept. It's not showing any
signs of problems, and in real use is still holding fine.

What's the betting it goes to 79% just after the AppleCare runs out :-/

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<H9j*UcKlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17522&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17522

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 20 Jul 2023 10:47:37 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 09:47 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> On 19/07/2023 20:52, Mark wrote:
> > On 2023-07-18 19:38:45 +0000, Andy Hewitt said:
> >
> > Have you run it through Coconut Battery? Might give you some more info.
> > (jJst got a battery for my 11" MBA in the post today. Just doing a full
> > run-down/recharge cycle).
>
> I'd forgotten about that. Thanks.
>
> Just did a basic test using the free version for now.
>
> Shows as:
>
> Full Charge capacity - 97.2% (3695 mAh)
> Design Capacity - 77.1% (4790 mAh)
> Cycles 511
> MacOS Battery Status - Good
> Age - 2305 Days
> Temp 34.2 C

That doesn't sound too bad - that's a fine number of cycles and acceptable
capacity. But if it's misbehaving then maybe it does need a new battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Function+Keys+2017+Battery+Replacement/133428

has the procedure and will sell you parts.

> On a slightly different note:
>
> Annoyingly enough, my iPad Pro (2020 model) is showing as 80.2% Design
> Capacity, and the Applecare+ runs out in Sept. It's not showing any
> signs of problems, and in real use is still holding fine.
>
> What's the betting it goes to 79% just after the AppleCare runs out :-/

I'd maybe put a few cycles on it to try to nudge it over - run some
overnight Youtube playlists or something. The percentage seems to drop in
jumps, so it's not like it falls steadily.

The actual distinction between 79% and 80% in normal use is negligible
anyway. Dropping to 79% would not be the end of the world.

Theo

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u9br5j$2qdl0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17525&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17525

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:33:39 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:33 UTC

On 20/07/2023 10:47, Theo wrote:
> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>> Annoyingly enough, my iPad Pro (2020 model) is showing as 80.2% Design
>> Capacity, and the Applecare+ runs out in Sept. It's not showing any
>> signs of problems, and in real use is still holding fine.
>>
>> What's the betting it goes to 79% just after the AppleCare runs out :-/
>
> I'd maybe put a few cycles on it to try to nudge it over - run some
> overnight Youtube playlists or something. The percentage seems to drop in
> jumps, so it's not like it falls steadily.
>
> The actual distinction between 79% and 80% in normal use is negligible
> anyway. Dropping to 79% would not be the end of the world.

It's actually not even that noticeable since new, I was just thnking
it's be nice to reset the battery life for a bit extra lifespan with the
iPad Pro. The way finances are these days, I've no way of buying another
anytime soon. It's done three years so far, it would be handy to get
another three and still be at the point it's at now.

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<1qe7pt7.1ndwdilwdm034N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17530&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17530

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:58:48 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 07:58 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 20/07/2023 10:47, Theo wrote:
> > Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> >> Annoyingly enough, my iPad Pro (2020 model) is showing as 80.2% Design
> >> Capacity, and the Applecare+ runs out in Sept. It's not showing any
> >> signs of problems, and in real use is still holding fine.
> >>
> >> What's the betting it goes to 79% just after the AppleCare runs out :-/
> >
> > I'd maybe put a few cycles on it to try to nudge it over - run some
> > overnight Youtube playlists or something. The percentage seems to drop in
> > jumps, so it's not like it falls steadily.
> >
> > The actual distinction between 79% and 80% in normal use is negligible
> > anyway. Dropping to 79% would not be the end of the world.
>
> It's actually not even that noticeable since new, I was just thnking
> it's be nice to reset the battery life for a bit extra lifespan with the
> iPad Pro. The way finances are these days, I've no way of buying another
> anytime soon. It's done three years so far, it would be handy to get
> another three and still be at the point it's at now.

Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
to make a really used iPad battery last?
Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
Keeping it as full as possible?
Letting it run down competely once in a while?
There is too much folklore on the web about it.

Jan
(not really my problem, with a lot of iPad-hungry family members
who ask every now and then if I do know that there is a new model out)

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<G9j*CRPlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17531&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17531

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Jul 2023 12:26:40 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:26 UTC

J. J. Lodder <nospam@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> > > I'd maybe put a few cycles on it to try to nudge it over - run some
> > > overnight Youtube playlists or something. The percentage seems to drop in
> > > jumps, so it's not like it falls steadily.
> > >
> > > The actual distinction between 79% and 80% in normal use is negligible
> > > anyway. Dropping to 79% would not be the end of the world.
> >
> > It's actually not even that noticeable since new, I was just thnking
> > it's be nice to reset the battery life for a bit extra lifespan with the
> > iPad Pro. The way finances are these days, I've no way of buying another
> > anytime soon. It's done three years so far, it would be handy to get
> > another three and still be at the point it's at now.
>
> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
> to make a really used iPad battery last?
> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
> Keeping it as full as possible?
> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
> There is too much folklore on the web about it.

Lithium batteries don't like:
1. heat
2. being too empty (especially for long periods)
3. being too full (ditto)
4. being charged/discharged too fast (see #1)
5. charge/discharge (full-to-empty or vv) cycles

Looking at it the way an EV manages them, the EV has active cooling to
manage the heat, and it never takes the battery down to its 0% or 100% cell
voltages, there's always a bit of margin (when the display says it's at
100%, it is not actually hitting its chemical limit, the charging stops a
way below that).

So craft a charging strategy that keeps it happy. Make sure it doesn't get
hot, don't unnecessarily cycle it. As to whether you charge it at night or
whenever is up to you, but as long as you pay attention to the above it
should keep it happy.

(I'm not clear to what extent '0%' and '100%' on a mobile device are
actually lying about the cell voltage like an EV does, but I suspect they
are closer to the chemical limits)

Theo

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u9e7ov$39rsi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17533&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17533

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 16:21:03 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:21 UTC

On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> I'd maybe put a few cycles on it to try to nudge it over - run some
>>> overnight Youtube playlists or something. The percentage seems to drop in
>>> jumps, so it's not like it falls steadily.
>>>
>>> The actual distinction between 79% and 80% in normal use is negligible
>>> anyway. Dropping to 79% would not be the end of the world.
>>
>> It's actually not even that noticeable since new, I was just thnking
>> it's be nice to reset the battery life for a bit extra lifespan with the
>> iPad Pro. The way finances are these days, I've no way of buying another
>> anytime soon. It's done three years so far, it would be handy to get
>> another three and still be at the point it's at now.
>
> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
> to make a really used iPad battery last?
> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
> Keeping it as full as possible?
> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
> There is too much folklore on the web about it

Indeed, it's a bit hard to clarify isn't it.

From all I can gather, bits of infor picked up over the years, the
current battery technology is 'meant' to be just used as needed by the
users of the device.

Otherwise, I believe there are tips that may, or may not, help with the
lifespan.

Bigger devices with bigger batteries tend to have a batter lifespan. I
know that EV cars are not suffering deterioration as mcuh as expected,
and the recycle centres don't have enough coming back to them (so I
hear). The bigger betteries seem to have more resilience to daily life
usage.

Apparently running between 40% (20% on an iPad) and 80% charge is best.
But, that's hard to judge, and usage needs may over-ride the ideal
intentions.

As Theo says, temperature is an issue, but then always has been for
batteries. Too low, and they lose charge, too high and they lose
lifespan, or even fail.

I believe the current advice is to never let them run down completely.
Indeed AIUI most modern devices shut off before the battery is
completely exhausted.

As for charging, I just charge as when needed. although quite often my
iPad is just left plugged in on my desk when I'm either not using it at
all, or I'm doing stuff alongside my desktop machine (at this time the
MacBook Pro).

FWIW, just as a quick test (no idea what it shows me though :-)) I left
the MBP powered down today, without the charger connected, and it only
dropped about 3% after the startup.

And, FWIW, the MBP with iPad Pro makes a really handy dual screen setup
with two Retina displays to play with. I love the way it can swicth back
and forth between me seeing both devices seperately, or switching back
to dual screen. Nice.

I think in the end though, just use the device as *you* need too, it's
why you got it in the first place isn't it?

My feeling is that all this faffing about probably only makes mimimal
difference in the real world, and the battery will last as long as it
lasts, regardless of how you use it (within reason of course :-)).

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<J9j*wQQlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17535&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17535

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 21 Jul 2023 16:55:07 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:55 UTC

Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> I think in the end though, just use the device as *you* need too, it's
> why you got it in the first place isn't it?
>
> My feeling is that all this faffing about probably only makes mimimal
> difference in the real world, and the battery will last as long as it
> lasts, regardless of how you use it (within reason of course :-)).

+1. While there is some general care you can do (don't let it get too hot,
mostly), the battery is already behind a sophisticated battery management
processor, whose sole job is to keep the battery happy. While there are
limits (it can't magically cool the battery when there's no battery fan, or
charge it when not plugged in), most of the time it can do its job.

So there's not a lot of point second guessing it or trying to micromanage
things, just use the thing and you'll be fine.

Theo

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<1qe8hfs.2qelzu142rep1N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17538&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17538

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:12:10 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 18:12 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> > I think in the end though, just use the device as *you* need too, it's
> > why you got it in the first place isn't it?
> >
> > My feeling is that all this faffing about probably only makes mimimal
> > difference in the real world, and the battery will last as long as it
> > lasts, regardless of how you use it (within reason of course :-)).
>
> +1. While there is some general care you can do (don't let it get too hot,
> mostly), the battery is already behind a sophisticated battery management
> processor, whose sole job is to keep the battery happy. While there are
> limits (it can't magically cool the battery when there's no battery fan, or
> charge it when not plugged in), most of the time it can do its job.
>
> So there's not a lot of point second guessing it or trying to micromanage
> things, just use the thing and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I'll live happily ever after with the thing.
I'll just try not to let it run dry if it isn't necessary,

Jan

And FYA, and OT, there was a news item recently
about technical university students managing
the recharge their EV battery in less than 4 minutes.
(so as fast as taking in petrol)
The trick is to have liquid cooling within the battery pack,
around the individual cells.
They plan to try it out at Le Mans.

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u9elc7$3d1lh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17539&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17539

From: chrisridd@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:13:11 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:13 UTC

On 21/07/2023 19:12, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> And FYA, and OT, there was a news item recently
> about technical university students managing
> the recharge their EV battery in less than 4 minutes.
> (so as fast as taking in petrol)
> The trick is to have liquid cooling within the battery pack,
> around the individual cells.

Interesting, because EV batteries usually charge faster when they're
hot. Good EVs will preheat their batteries if they know you're driving
to a charger.

Perhaps they're keeping it optimally hot, not "on fire" hot.

> They plan to try it out at Le Mans.

Do you know in which car? Yes I know, the one with flames coming out
from under the floor...

--
Chris

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<b3bcd254-f794-dd79-c428-24ae99b3cb7c@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17541&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17541

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:03:58 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:03 UTC

On 21/07/2023 20:13, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 21/07/2023 19:12, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>> And FYA, and OT, there was a news item recently
>> about technical university students managing
>> the recharge their EV battery in less than 4 minutes.
>> (so as fast as taking in petrol)
>> The trick is to have liquid cooling within the battery pack,
>> around the individual cells.
>
> Interesting, because EV batteries usually charge faster when they're
> hot. Good EVs will preheat their batteries if they know you're driving
> to a charger.
>
> Perhaps they're keeping it optimally hot, not "on fire" hot.
>
>> They plan to try it out at Le Mans.
>
> Do you know in which car? Yes I know, the one with flames coming out
> from under the floor...

The hybrid one - half EV, half steam engine ;-)

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<9741815a-ceb7-e9db-5f1e-62195dce7046@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17542&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17542

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:07:57 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:07 UTC

On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:

> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
> to make a really used iPad battery last?
> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
> Keeping it as full as possible?
> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
> There is too much folklore on the web about it.

There's one other option you missed: if possible, use the iPad while
plugged in. The electricity for that session then comes from the mains
and not the battery so it saves a (partial) battery cycle. The more you
can do it the more cycles you save.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<1qe8q2j.wnm2fy12lq5hhN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17543&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17543

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:55:49 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 20:55 UTC

Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> On 21/07/2023 19:12, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> > And FYA, and OT, there was a news item recently
> > about technical university students managing
> > the recharge their EV battery in less than 4 minutes.
> > (so as fast as taking in petrol)
> > The trick is to have liquid cooling within the battery pack,
> > around the individual cells.
>
> Interesting, because EV batteries usually charge faster when they're
> hot. Good EVs will preheat their batteries if they know you're driving
> to a charger.
>
> Perhaps they're keeping it optimally hot, not "on fire" hot.

While charging they keep their batteries at about 50 degrees C.
This requires forced cooling at the cell level.
Without forced cooling the bats would burn out.

> > They plan to try it out at Le Mans.
>
> Do you know in which car? Yes I know, the one with flames coming out
> from under the floor...

Yes, sure,

Jan

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<1qe8q7h.186vb5m17oqdilN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17544&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17544

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:55:49 +0200

Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>
> > Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
> > to make a really used iPad battery last?
> > Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
> > Keeping it as full as possible?
> > Letting it run down competely once in a while?
> > There is too much folklore on the web about it.
>
> There's one other option you missed: if possible, use the iPad while
> plugged in. The electricity for that session then comes from the mains
> and not the battery so it saves a (partial) battery cycle. The more you
> can do it the more cycles you save.

Yes, but then the cable is very much in the way, and vulnerable,
or you have to hold the ipad upside down...

Jan

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u9eura$3ertp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17545&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17545

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:54:50 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:54 UTC

On 21/07/2023 21:07, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>
>> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
>> to make a really used iPad battery last?
>> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
>> Keeping it as full as possible?
>> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
>> There is too much folklore on the web about it.
>
> There's one other option you missed: if possible, use the iPad while
> plugged in. The electricity for that session then comes from the mains
> and not the battery so it saves a (partial) battery cycle. The more you
> can do it the more cycles you save.

Not only that, but there are some functions on an iPad that often say,
something like, '...will continue when plugged into power, and not being
used'. Photos iCloud updates and syncing are one of them that I can
immeditaly think of.

So for certain tasks, leaving it plugged in is a necessity.

I've also seen advice (from tech sites, not dicsussions), that it's
fine to leave an iPad plugged in until you actually need it to be modile.

ISTR someone mentioned before that they can run in a sort of 'kiosk'
mode, which will mean it does indeed just use power to run itself, and
the battery is managaed in the background.

However, it's also known that, for some unknown reason, the iPads never
got the 'Optimised Battery Charging' function that is on iPhones. From
all I can find, I don't think anybody (outside of Apple Inc.) really
knows how the iPads do actually manage their power and battery services.

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<u9ev1s$3evhr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17546&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17546

From: thewildrover@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:58:20 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 21:58 UTC

On 21/07/2023 21:55, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
>>> to make a really used iPad battery last?
>>> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
>>> Keeping it as full as possible?
>>> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
>>> There is too much folklore on the web about it.
>>
>> There's one other option you missed: if possible, use the iPad while
>> plugged in. The electricity for that session then comes from the mains
>> and not the battery so it saves a (partial) battery cycle. The more you
>> can do it the more cycles you save.
>
> Yes, but then the cable is very much in the way, and vulnerable,
> or you have to hold the ipad upside down...

Or have to use it in portrait mode on a stand (some apps are annoying in
being insistant by only working in Portrait orientation).

I chnaged my cables for ones with a 90deg connector on them (easy to get
with USB-C). It's made them a bit less instrusive with regards to the
cable sticking out, and reducing any bending of the cable near the
connector collar.

--
Andy H

Re: Aquired a MacBook Pro...

<b5975271-982c-469f-f325-fac1a1427d20@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17547&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17547

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 23:16:07 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 22:16 UTC

On 21/07/2023 21:55, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Bruce Horrocks <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
>> On 21/07/2023 08:58, J. J. Lodder wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, what -is- supposed to be the best way
>>> to make a really used iPad battery last?
>>> Charge at night only? Charge between periods of use?
>>> Keeping it as full as possible?
>>> Letting it run down competely once in a while?
>>> There is too much folklore on the web about it.
>>
>> There's one other option you missed: if possible, use the iPad while
>> plugged in. The electricity for that session then comes from the mains
>> and not the battery so it saves a (partial) battery cycle. The more you
>> can do it the more cycles you save.
>
> Yes, but then the cable is very much in the way, and vulnerable,
> or you have to hold the ipad upside down...

Well, of course. If it didn't come with a downside we'd all be doing it.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Aquired a MacBook Pro...