The whole world is a scab. The point is to pick it constructively. -- Peter Beard

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

SubjectAuthor
* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Paul Carmichael
+- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Alan Lee
+* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.wessie
|`- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Paul Carmichael
+* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.wessie
|`* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Pete Fisher
| `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Pete Fisher
|  `- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Paul Carmichael
+- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.RustyHinge
`* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Ace
 +- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.RustyHinge
 `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Colin Irvine
  `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.RustyHinge
   `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Colin Irvine
    `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Pipl
     +- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Colin Irvine
     `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.RustyHinge
      `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.Pipl
       `* Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.chrisnd @ukrm
        `- Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier."Worst Case"

1
Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<pan$8bb99$5090885a$425382da$631f989e@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17426&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17426

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.
Date: 9 Aug 2023 10:59:21 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 10:59 UTC

I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.

People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
leaps and bounds.

I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<uavst9$3tk5j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17429&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17429

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:22:17 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:22 UTC

On 09/08/2023 11:59, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>
> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
> leaps and bounds.
>
> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

As it happens, this conversation has come up a few times this week at my
customers houses.
My OH bought a cheap one, used it, and stunk the house out with a
horrible fat smell (not her!).
I wasnt happy with the constant chip shop smell, so we fucked it off.
But, since then, speaking to other people, you need to buy a good
quality one, not the £30 ones from Argos.
Ninja dual fryers have been recommended, a cooking smell, but not a fat
burning smell. £170-230 here.
We're moving house soon, I reckon we'll get one when we move.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<XnsB05B7DF009811wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17430&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17430

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:22:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:22 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$8bb99$5090885a
$425382da$631f989e@gmail.com:

> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>
> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
> leaps and bounds.
>
> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

Hah! I threw away my deep fryer when I left Cheltenham.

I had started using a small Tower air fryer instead of my main oven and
fryer. I have been looking at getting a bigger one for the new house when I
eventually move in.

Possibly with 2 drawers so you can do meaty things in one side and veggie
things in the other.

In the UK, we can order direct from Tower and their products do well in
reviews and my own experience with the basic unit. 20% off first order if
you register for emails.
https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/air-fryers with one of the 9L Vortx jobs
being favourite. Extra tenner for drawers with windows!

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<XnsB05B7FC3B9B46wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17432&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17432

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:33:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:33 UTC

Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$8bb99$5090885a
$425382da$631f989e@gmail.com:

> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>
> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
> leaps and bounds.
>
> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

oh, and my temporary host, Mrs Scraggy, recommends using wax/silicon paper
liners under the grilling plate to catch the gloop that comes out of bacon
etc. Others use washable silicon liners. She has a big, single pot Instant
(a brand) air fryer for cooking our breakfast & dinner.

some of them have complex controls and limited instructions so bear that in
mind of you have limited patience or poor eye sight. The small job I bought
had 2 rotary controls, one for temperatrue and a mechanical timer.

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<uavuj7$3tsep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17434&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17434

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 12:51:04 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 11:51 UTC

On 09/08/2023 11:59, Paul Carmichael wrote:
> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>
> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
> leaps and bounds.
>
> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

I heard the same and bought one. Haven't been tempted to use it for
around a year...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<pan$29c5$af50f7ae$6c34d141$b3a21d78@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17442&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17442

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 9 Aug 2023 13:27:33 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 13:27 UTC

El Wed, 09 Aug 2023 11:22:48 +0000, wessie escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:pan$8bb99$5090885a $425382da$631f989e@gmail.com:
>
>> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>>
>> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>> leaps and bounds.
>>
>> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?
>>

> Hah! I threw away my deep fryer when I left Cheltenham.
>
> I had started using a small Tower air fryer instead of my main oven and
> fryer. I have been looking at getting a bigger one for the new house
> when I eventually move in.
>
> Possibly with 2 drawers so you can do meaty things in one side and
> veggie things in the other.
>
> In the UK, we can order direct from Tower and their products do well in
> reviews and my own experience with the basic unit. 20% off first order
> if you register for emails.
> https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/air-fryers with one of the 9L Vortx
> jobs being favourite. Extra tenner for drawers with windows!

Looking for that one in particular took me here:

<https://www.expansion.com/fueradeserie/gastro/2023/03/24/6412db5a468aebcb318b46a0.html>

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<kjhsurF1pgeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17446&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17446

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:25:01 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:25 UTC

On 09/08/2023 12:33, wessie wrote:
> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$8bb99$5090885a
> $425382da$631f989e@gmail.com:
>
>> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>>
>> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>> leaps and bounds.
>>
>> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?
>>

> oh, and my temporary host, Mrs Scraggy, recommends using wax/silicon paper
> liners under the grilling plate to catch the gloop that comes out of bacon
> etc. Others use washable silicon liners. She has a big, single pot Instant
> (a brand) air fryer for cooking our breakfast & dinner.
>
> some of them have complex controls and limited instructions so bear that in
> mind of you have limited patience or poor eye sight. The small job I bought
> had 2 rotary controls, one for temperatrue and a mechanical timer.

SWMBO did her research and bought us a small Cosori air fryer.

I was sceptical at first but has proved very useful for the frozen
'vegetable' [1] chips I sometimes do lately to avoid spuds.

It cooks chicken Kyiv quite well in a foil (tray) and things like
samosas. Even a poussin. Far more energy efficient for a couple of
portions than even our 'small' Siemens muti-function oven. I don't use
it for bacon as it can't fry an egg.

Point taken about the controls. This one has a lot of touch ones which I
often have to remind her how to use (pre-heat, etc.).

Overall, I rate it a good purchase.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<kjht33F1pgeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17448&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17448

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:27:17 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:27 UTC

On 09/08/2023 17:25, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 09/08/2023 12:33, wessie wrote:
>> Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com> wrote in news:pan$8bb99$5090885a
>> $425382da$631f989e@gmail.com:
>>
>>> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>>>
>>> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>>> leaps and bounds.
>>>
>>> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?
>>>

>> oh, and my temporary host, Mrs Scraggy, recommends using wax/silicon
>> paper
>> liners under the grilling plate to catch the gloop that comes out of
>> bacon
>> etc. Others use washable silicon liners. She has a big, single pot
>> Instant
>> (a brand) air fryer for cooking our breakfast & dinner.
>>
>> some of them have complex controls and limited instructions so bear
>> that in
>> mind of you have limited patience or poor eye sight. The small job I
>> bought
>> had 2 rotary controls, one for temperatrue and a mechanical timer.
>
> SWMBO did her research and bought us a small Cosori air fryer.
>
> I was sceptical at first but has proved very useful for the frozen
> 'vegetable' [1] chips I sometimes do lately to avoid spuds.
>
> It cooks chicken Kyiv quite well in a foil (tray) and things like
> samosas. Even a poussin. Far more energy efficient for a couple of
> portions than even our 'small' Siemens muti-function oven. I don't use
> it for bacon as it can't fry an egg.
>
> Point taken about the controls. This one has a lot of touch ones which I
> often have to remind her how to use (pre-heat, etc.).
>
> Overall, I rate it a good purchase.

Missing footnote:
[1] Beetroot, parsnip and carrot. Quite a pleasant change from potato.
Mad price from Sainsburys but saves a lot of prep.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<pan$c1721$eca1653b$b8e07cf6$af05128d@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17450&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17450

From: wibbleypants@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 9 Aug 2023 16:43:01 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 16:43 UTC

El Wed, 09 Aug 2023 17:27:17 +0100, Pete Fisher escribió:

>> I was sceptical at first but has proved very useful for the frozen
>> 'vegetable' [1] chips I sometimes do lately to avoid spuds.

> Missing footnote:
> [1] Beetroot, parsnip and carrot. Quite a pleasant change from potato.
> Mad price from Sainsburys but saves a lot of prep.

As we are alternating days meat/no meat, this is something I do quite often. Not beetroot, but carrots, sweet potato, onion etc.

Might make a garbanzo and spinach dish tonight. Or maybe not.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<8qj7dihgqljanpgm2hqab9vjh9id86q81j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17455&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17455

From: Ace@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2023 19:45:19 +0200
 by: Ace - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 17:45 UTC

On 9 Aug 2023 10:59:21 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>
>People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>leaps and bounds.
>
>I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?

The fat-free, or dry, whatever you want to call them, fryers are
nothing more than miniature ovens, some with paddles to stir things
about a bit, but fundamentally they do exactly the same as if you put
your chips in the oven

We acquired one from some friends whio were moving back to the UK last
year - they stayed at our hous for the last month, so brought, and
left, stuff that they wanted to use in that period.

Anyway, it's crap. We'll stick with proper fryers in both houses, just
making sure that they're used under the extractor hood which is set to
max to evacuate all the greasy steam that comes off it.

Cleaning is always a pain, but the more frequent the better, and I'll
filter the oil perhaps every ten uses, replacing it if it's
discoloured or starting to smell. Our preferred oil is Groundnut,
which has a very neutral flavour, little smell and a high smoke point.
Cheap frying oil will not last anything like as long and will smell a
lot more after much fewer uses.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<ub0p2k$1v6q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17462&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17462

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 20:23:00 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 19:23 UTC

On 09/08/2023 18:45, Ace wrote:
/snip/

> Cleaning is always a pain, but the more frequent the better, and I'll
> filter the oil perhaps every ten uses, replacing it if it's
> discoloured or starting to smell. Our preferred oil is Groundnut,
> which has a very neutral flavour, little smell and a high smoke point.
> Cheap frying oil will not last anything like as long and will smell a
> lot more after much fewer uses.

The two oils I will use for cooking are olive oil or rapeseed. They
don't oxidise/ hydrogenate into trans-fats like most other oils.

Olive oil, (especially extra vergin) has quite a strong (but not
unpleasant flavours, but rapeseed oil is to my taste, pretty neutral.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<ql69dipk3r0334hr80equlevj882cnp8oc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17476&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17476

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 09:08:45 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 08:08 UTC

On Wed, 09 Aug 2023 19:45:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>On 9 Aug 2023 10:59:21 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>>
>>People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>>leaps and bounds.
>>
>>I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?
>
>The fat-free, or dry, whatever you want to call them, fryers are
>nothing more than miniature ovens, some with paddles to stir things
>about a bit, but fundamentally they do exactly the same as if you put
>your chips in the oven
>
>We acquired one from some friends whio were moving back to the UK last
>year - they stayed at our hous for the last month, so brought, and
>left, stuff that they wanted to use in that period.
>
>Anyway, it's crap.

That was our experience, albeit a few years ago. For chips we simply
hand cut them, coat in a little oil and bung them in the oven.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<ub2cn4$ba13$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17482&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17482

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 10:04 UTC

On 10/08/2023 09:08, Colin Irvine wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Aug 2023 19:45:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 9 Aug 2023 10:59:21 GMT, Paul Carmichael <wibbleypants@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to ever clean this deep fryer again.
>>>
>>> People say that technology has moved on and dry friers have come on in
>>> leaps and bounds.
>>>
>>> I know we have a few foody types around here, so what say you?
>>
>> The fat-free, or dry, whatever you want to call them, fryers are
>> nothing more than miniature ovens, some with paddles to stir things
>> about a bit, but fundamentally they do exactly the same as if you put
>> your chips in the oven
>>
>> We acquired one from some friends whio were moving back to the UK last
>> year - they stayed at our hous for the last month, so brought, and
>> left, stuff that they wanted to use in that period.
>>
>> Anyway, it's crap.
>
> That was our experience, albeit a few years ago. For chips we simply
> hand cut them, coat in a little oil and bung them in the oven.

So that pould suggest an air-fryer would be handy forcooking chips, and
cheaper than a big oven?

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<vpm9di9jkupu934l16qhtb4trjc1n7raa0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17499&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17499

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:47:47 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 12:47 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/08/2023 09:08, Colin Irvine wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Aug 2023 19:45:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>>> The fat-free, or dry, whatever you want to call them, fryers are
>>> nothing more than miniature ovens, some with paddles to stir things
>>> about a bit, but fundamentally they do exactly the same as if you put
>>> your chips in the oven
>>>
>>> We acquired one from some friends whio were moving back to the UK last
>>> year - they stayed at our hous for the last month, so brought, and
>>> left, stuff that they wanted to use in that period.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it's crap.
>>
>> That was our experience, albeit a few years ago. For chips we simply
>> hand cut them, coat in a little oil and bung them in the oven.
>>
>So that pould suggest an air-fryer would be handy forcooking chips, and
>cheaper than a big oven?

Possibly. We have a Panasonic Combination Microwave that seems to do
everything. Crispy baked potatoes in 15 minutes anyone?

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<m8ladiloiqr9e5g1ap8toa358t77f49j60@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17512&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17512

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 22:23:12 +0100
 by: Pipl - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 21:23 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:47:47 +0100, Colin Irvine
<look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100, RustyHinge
>>So that pould suggest an air-fryer would be handy forcooking chips, and
>>cheaper than a big oven?
>
>Possibly. We have a Panasonic Combination Microwave that seems to do
>everything. Crispy baked potatoes in 15 minutes anyone?

I was going to suggest a combination microwave. Possibly harder to
clean though?

--

-Pip

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<ikqbdipdjo0an3jc1771bgdfh8gpn7dr9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17517&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17517

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:01:48 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:01 UTC

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 22:23:12 +0100, Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:47:47 +0100, Colin Irvine
><look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100, RustyHinge
>>>So that pould suggest an air-fryer would be handy forcooking chips, and
>>>cheaper than a big oven?
>>
>>Possibly. We have a Panasonic Combination Microwave that seems to do
>>everything. Crispy baked potatoes in 15 minutes anyone?
>
>I was going to suggest a combination microwave. Possibly harder to
>clean though?

Not at all. The interior is, TAIAP, standard microwave.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<ub4qm7$p93f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17519&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17519

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:15:04 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:15 UTC

On 10/08/2023 22:23, Pipl wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:47:47 +0100, Colin Irvine
> <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100, RustyHinge
>>> So that pould suggest an air-fryer would be handy forcooking chips, and
>>> cheaper than a big oven?
>>
>> Possibly. We have a Panasonic Combination Microwave that seems to do
>> everything. Crispy baked potatoes in 15 minutes anyone?
>
> I was going to suggest a combination microwave. Possibly harder to
> clean though?

It'd interest me if I could find one with clicky-twisty controls. My
experience of tickle-touch controls suggest they are to be avoided.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<la7ddi5elcbkjg6epm7b62bu72v90p3d9b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17544&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17544

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 21:43:32 +0100
 by: Pipl - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 20:43 UTC

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:15:04 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 10/08/2023 22:23, Pipl wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 13:47:47 +0100, Colin Irvine
>> <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:04:17 +0100, RustyHinge
>>>
>>> Possibly. We have a Panasonic Combination Microwave that seems to do
>>> everything. Crispy baked potatoes in 15 minutes anyone?
>>
>> I was going to suggest a combination microwave. Possibly harder to
>> clean though?
>>
>It'd interest me if I could find one with clicky-twisty controls. My
>experience of tickle-touch controls suggest they are to be avoided.
The membrane ones are truly ghastly.

--

-Pip

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<kjro1mFk5h4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17561&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17561

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:02:30 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 10:02 UTC

On 11/08/2023 21:43, Pipl wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:15:04 +0100, RustyHinge
> <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 10/08/2023 22:23, Pipl wrote:

>>> I was going to suggest a combination microwave. Possibly harder to
>>> clean though?
>>>
>> It'd interest me if I could find one with clicky-twisty controls. My
>> experience of tickle-touch controls suggest they are to be avoided.
>
> The membrane ones are truly ghastly.

Agreed. Our current one is even worse in that the controls are not even
illuminated and very gloomily printed onto black so that they are
difficult to see in anything but bright light.

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Even more OT than usual: Recommend me a dry frier.

<cfd1a501e0134838ea678343812fdf3a@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17569&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17569

From: "Worst Case"@dizum.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 17:06:49 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
 by: "Worst Case"@dizum.com - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 15:06 UTC

On Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:02:30 +0100, "chrisnd @ukrm" <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 11/08/2023 21:43, Pipl wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:15:04 +0100, RustyHinge

> > The membrane ones are truly ghastly.

> Agreed. Our current one is even worse in that the controls are not even
> illuminated and very gloomily printed onto black so that they are
> difficult to see in anything but bright light.

The reason for this is the same reason that technical specs (such as
whether or not batteries are included) have disappeared from
consumer-product packaging (at least in America).

To wit: You pay for the product in the store if not in the department
where it's displayed. You don't pay for the product after you get it
home and unwrap it and can evaluate it.

The last thing the manufacturer and distributor want is for you to
compare products and find an excuse not to buy theirs.

In the case of inoperable kitchen gadgets such as microwaves, toaster
ovens, and pressure cookers, these are meant to be exhibited face
forward, bolted down to a shelf about shoulder height under ambient
retail lighting. If that's not the kind of operating environment you
can provide ... tough .... Designers know that costumers can't avail
themselves of the opportunity to experience product operation under
any other circumstances before ponying up.

--
Worst Case