Don't get to bragging.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

SubjectAuthor
* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl
`* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportogden
 +* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPete Fisher
 |`* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl
 | `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPete Fisher
 |  `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl
 |   `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPete Fisher
 |    `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportsiwilson
 |     `- A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPete Fisher
 +- A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportogden
 `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl
  `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportchrisnd @ukrm
   `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl
    `* A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportAlan Lee
     `- A very rambling Cadwell trackday reportPipl

1
A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<cla1ei9n2k15h7r65go5osp87jtb9jsqfi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17710&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17710

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:43:50 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:43 UTC

My annual pilgrimage to the Hallowed Tarmac is done. I very nearly
missed out this year: I seem to lack a certain amount of get up and
go.

I arrived Wednesday PM after a slow and weird route the car's satnav
provided. Normally I come up via Horncastle, but for some reason this
route was via the Louth bypass, approaching the circuit from the
north, which was weird. It also involved getting stuck behind a load
of tractors.

Thursday was mostly cloudy but dry, with a fairly fresh easterly
breeze. Track conditions were pretty good and the cooler weather meant
I wasn't sweating buckets like last time.

As I was in the novice group this time, I took extra care to really
follow the "be nice" ethos of the track day; be patient and make extra
room when passing.

However, on returning to my encampment, another rider followed me and
clearly had something to say. I was a bit puzzled, but maybe I'd cut
it a bit finer than I thought overtaking somewhere. Turns out that on
the last lap, I'd nipped past this rider coming out of the Gooseneck,
who was the last of a group of five, when there'd been a yellow flag
at the bottom of the hill at the next bend, Mansfield. In fairness I'd
been so focussed on the bikes ahead that I hadn't spotted it.

I made apologetic noises, and agreed with her suggestion that I simply
hadn't seen the flag. That was not enough. I got a further lecture
that she'd seen the flag and that's why she hadn't overtaken herself.
I made more apologetic noises.

The lecture went on and I was told that they were now showing a yellow
at Mansfield, then the chequered flag at the next station. Well, duh,
this wasn't the first session; I already knew that. She then went on
to lecture me on the perils of overtaking under that yellow on the
last lap.

In retrospect, I'd say that unless the lights had been on at
Gooseneck, and I don't believe they were, technically I wasn't
overtaking under yellow flags anyway, though I would not have
overtaken if I had spotted the flag. I made yet more contrite noises,
and she reluctantly left it at that, though she clearly would have
liked to say more. It slightly soured the day, particularly as I
thought I was being extra careful!

Back to better things. The bike was behaving well. An order of minor
brake parts had finally arrived the morning before I left for the
circuit but I hadn't had time to fit them. It turned out OK: no real
evidence of fluid seepage. Most strange. I'm wondering whether the
warmth of the garage causes the reservoir to slightly pressurise.
Anyway, I'll fit the bits this weekend.

I've also had odd fuelling for a couple of years, with the bike
responding very abruptly to opening the throttle after being on the
overrun. A fair bit of dicking with the maps seems to have tamed it,
with only a couple of ranges - somewhere below 2000rpm, around
3000-3250rpm and 4-4500rpm or thereabouts still being a bit sharp.
Generally I didn't hit these ranges. The couple of times I did I was
in a higher gear and only got a minor lurch that wasn't a problem.

Friday morning was a bit of a shock: I woke to the sound of rain on
the tent. Last time I checked the forecast, both days were dry, but I
hadn't been keeping a close eye.

A hasty (well, 50-minute) tyre change later, with only minimal
swearing, I was good to go.

I have to say, last year's crash in the wet at Snetterton has ahem,
dampened my wet weather confidence somewhat, so it was a very
tentative session.

The rain had by now mostly stopped, just the odd few minutes of very
light drizzle, so the faster parts of the track were already getting
dry. It was still wet through Hall bends and the frighteningly
off-camber Barn though.

Another tyre change. 35 minutes all told (hey! I'm getting the hang of
this!) and another tentative ride on the dry tyres. Confidence slowly
coming back.

Sessions after that were dry on half the circuit, with a patchily dry
racing line elsewhere.

The afternoon was wonderful. I think I'm even getting the hang of that
chicane: one really has to go in faster than it looks and try to
"flick" the bike over between the right and left. Both of these
actions take a bit of bravery. This way I was able to stay in second
and still have the bike pull reasonably well coming out - previously I
either had to change down before the chicane and then hastily change
up after it, or stay in second and have the bike bog down.

Progress is small but still present.

Happy, happy.

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<5fc4b1f0-249f-43ca-b802-01207bb34bb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17716&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17716

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:43:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 21:43 UTC

Pipl wrote:
> As I was in the novice group this time

Personally the other groups were full?

Was this the Ixion event?

> However, on returning to my encampment, another rider followed me and
> clearly had something to say. I was a bit puzzled, but maybe I'd cut
> it a bit finer than I thought overtaking somewhere. Turns out that on
> the last lap, I'd nipped past this rider coming out of the Gooseneck,
> who was the last of a group of five, when there'd been a yellow flag
> at the bottom of the hill at the next bend, Mansfield. In fairness I'd
> been so focussed on the bikes ahead that I hadn't spotted it.
>
> I made apologetic noises, and agreed with her suggestion that I simply
> hadn't seen the flag. That was not enough. I got a further lecture
> that she'd seen the flag and that's why she hadn't overtaken herself.
> I made more apologetic noises.

I'd have told her to fuck off at this point.

> The lecture went on and I was told that they were now showing a yellow
> at Mansfield, then the chequered flag at the next station. Well, duh,
> this wasn't the first session; I already knew that. She then went on
> to lecture me on the perils of overtaking under that yellow on the
> last lap.

I'd have been off to have a chat with Russell at this point. We all make mistakes but there's no need to be a complete cunt about it.

> In retrospect, I'd say that unless the lights had been on at
> Gooseneck, and I don't believe they were, technically I wasn't
> overtaking under yellow flags anyway, though I would not have
> overtaken if I had spotted the flag. I made yet more contrite noises,
> and she reluctantly left it at that, though she clearly would have
> liked to say more.

I'd have been looking for a hitman on the dark web at this point.

What an arsehole.

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kkdq2uFh99fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17717&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17717

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:27:40 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 06:27 UTC

On 19/08/2023 22:43, ogden wrote:
> Pipl wrote:
>> As I was in the novice group this time
>
> Personally the other groups were full?
>
> Was this the Ixion event?

Oh. I enjoyed the one I did years ago on the GFR (should also have been
on the Voxan). Seemed all very laid back much like the MRC days. Sounds
like the circuit procedures have been very much tightened up. If I was
coming out of the Gooseneck properly committed I doubt I would spot a
flag at the bottom of Mansfield until well on the way down.

>> liked to say more.
>
> I'd have been looking for a hitman on the dark web at this point.
>
> What an arsehole.

You (Ogden) could simply have said, "sorry, I'm used to only one colour
of flag these days".
--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<5ba187a3-c1a3-463d-8aa5-f003e50323fdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17718&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17718

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 01:42:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:42 UTC

ogden wrote:
> Pipl wrote:
> > As I was in the novice group this time
>
> Personally the other groups were full?

Presumably, rather.

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<mhn3ei12p8m24957kmp9dc3cul3l2d6es6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17719&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17719

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:36:09 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:36 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:27:40 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 19/08/2023 22:43, ogden wrote:
>> Pipl wrote:
>>> As I was in the novice group this time
>>
>> Personally the other groups were full?
>>
>> Was this the Ixion event?
>>

>Oh. I enjoyed the one I did years ago on the GFR (should also have been
>on the Voxan). Seemed all very laid back much like the MRC days. Sounds
>like the circuit procedures have been very much tightened up. If I was
>coming out of the Gooseneck properly committed I doubt I would spot a
>flag at the bottom of Mansfield until well on the way down.
>
>>> liked to say more.
>>
>> I'd have been looking for a hitman on the dark web at this point.
>>
>> What an arsehole.
>

>You (Ogden) could simply have said, "sorry, I'm used to only one colour
>of flag these days".

All colours and none?

Or did you mean the red one when he bins it?

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kke5ilFiq1tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17721&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17721

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:43:47 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:43 UTC

On 20/08/2023 10:36, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 07:27:40 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Personally the other groups were full?
>>>
>>> Was this the Ixion event?
>>>

>> Oh. I enjoyed the one I did years ago on the GFR (should also have been
>> on the Voxan). Seemed all very laid back much like the MRC days. Sounds
>> like the circuit procedures have been very much tightened up. If I was
>> coming out of the Gooseneck properly committed I doubt I would spot a
>> flag at the bottom of Mansfield until well on the way down.

>>> I'd have been looking for a hitman on the dark web at this point.
>>>
>>> What an arsehole.
>>

>> You (Ogden) could simply have said, "sorry, I'm used to only one colour
>> of flag these days".
>
> All colours and none?
>
> Or did you mean the red one when he bins it?

Red is the only flag in speed hill climbing. The person who causes it
usually doesn't see it before the incident if IYSWIM.

I've managed to ride past the first one at a longer hill, saw the next
one being frantically waved.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<ekn3ei9rtjunar5knp9998ovh5qab7si5l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17722&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17722

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:46:01 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:46 UTC

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:43:47 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Pipl wrote:
>> As I was in the novice group this time
>
>Personally the other groups were full?

I booked very late and the other groups were full, *however*, under
similar circumstances, I have put Piglets (inters, for those who don't
know what I'm talking about) down as preferred and got a place. I
just assumed that being so late, this time it wouldn't work, then
thought, "no harm in at least trying" but the booking system wouldn't
let me in becuase I'd already made a booking, so I just figured that
even being more careful, there would be plenty of times when I'd have
clear track.

>Was this the Ixion event?

Yup.

>> I made apologetic noises, and agreed with her suggestion that I simply
>> hadn't seen the flag. That was not enough. I got a further lecture
>> that she'd seen the flag and that's why she hadn't overtaken herself.
>> I made more apologetic noises.
>
>I'd have told her to fuck off at this point.

I was a bit on the back foot, and never think fast in a face to face
(well, face to helmet) situation anyway. I really didn't want to cause
unnecessary bad feeling at an event that prides itself on being
friendly and laid-back.

>What an arsehole.

Sadly, I have to agree. I can only assume that she thought the same
about me.

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<u7o3eippee4f86gji9g9u1s0ijqie07jn2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17723&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17723

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:48:01 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:48 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:43:47 +0100, Pete Fisher
<peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I've managed to ride past the first one at a longer hill, saw the next
>one being frantically waved.

If your run is aborted by someone else, do you get another go?

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kke6lmFiq1tU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17725&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17725

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:02:28 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:02 UTC

On 20/08/2023 10:48, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:43:47 +0100, Pete Fisher
> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> I've managed to ride past the first one at a longer hill, saw the next
>> one being frantically waved.
>
> If your run is aborted by someone else, do you get another go?

Ho yuss.

If extremely lucky, you get sent straight back down and get your
replacement run with nice warm tyres.

This works particularly well at Loton where the marshals can let you off
the hill at 'Triangle' to get back to the paddock and straight to the
start line before they cool down (on a warm day anyway). Responsible for
my best ever PB on a Morini shod with Dunlop 'triangulars' there way
back when.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen
Honda CB250RS (Not Waynetta!)
"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kke9lqFjkf1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17728&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17728

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:53:46 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:53 UTC

On 20/08/2023 10:46, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 14:43:47 -0700 (PDT), ogden <eldaifo@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Pipl wrote:
>>> As I was in the novice group this time
>>
>> Personally the other groups were full?

>>> I made apologetic noises, and agreed with her suggestion that I simply
>>> hadn't seen the flag. That was not enough. I got a further lecture
>>> that she'd seen the flag and that's why she hadn't overtaken herself.
>>> I made more apologetic noises.
>>
>> I'd have told her to fuck off at this point.
>
> I was a bit on the back foot, and never think fast in a face to face
> (well, face to helmet) situation anyway. I really didn't want to cause
> unnecessary bad feeling at an event that prides itself on being
> friendly and laid-back.
>
>> What an arsehole.
>
> Sadly, I have to agree. I can only assume that she thought the same
> about me.

As an aside, one thing I have learned in my decades on this planet is
that women also tend to rant on considerably more than necessary to make
a point when they have been scared out their wits by something. In which
case, the less responses you give, the sooner it is over. :-)

I'm not saying this was the situation here tho. :-/

Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<og84ei5q94fpqai48ijn0gerv6a993sivt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17730&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17730

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:25:37 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:25 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:53:46 +0100, "chrisnd @ukrm"
<chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>As an aside, one thing I have learned in my decades on this planet is
>that women also tend to rant on considerably more than necessary to make
>a point when they have been scared out their wits by something. In which
>case, the less responses you give, the sooner it is over. :-)

I think sh would have said - she wasn't short of words. It was a
fairly measured lecture, not a rant.

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<ubt7t9$1cpl4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17731&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17731

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:27:52 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:27 UTC

On 20/08/2023 15:25, Pipl wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:53:46 +0100, "chrisnd @ukrm"
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> As an aside, one thing I have learned in my decades on this planet is
>> that women also tend to rant on considerably more than necessary to make
>> a point when they have been scared out their wits by something. In which
>> case, the less responses you give, the sooner it is over. :-)
>
> I think sh would have said - she wasn't short of words. It was a
> fairly measured lecture, not a rant.

If you'd have just said - "OK Karen, I'll take more care ", she would
have been placated. And you would have been best friends for the
weekend. Try it next time.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<8sp4ei5jnof0i9dnbv8s9m7a32oag26eik@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17733&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17733

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 20:21:34 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 19:21 UTC

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:27:52 +0100, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com>
wrote:

>On 20/08/2023 15:25, Pipl wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 11:53:46 +0100, "chrisnd @ukrm"
>> <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>>> As an aside, one thing I have learned in my decades on this planet is
>>> that women also tend to rant on considerably more than necessary to make
>>> a point when they have been scared out their wits by something. In which
>>> case, the less responses you give, the sooner it is over. :-)
>>
>> I think sh would have said - she wasn't short of words. It was a
>> fairly measured lecture, not a rant.
>
> If you'd have just said - "OK Karen, I'll take more care ", she would
>have been placated. And you would have been best friends for the
>weekend. Try it next time.

I feel that being headbutted by someone wearing a crash helmet might
just has diminished my boyish good looks.

--

-Pip

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kkkm5bFkcbuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17771&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17771

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:03:40 +0100
 by: siwilson - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:03 UTC

On 20/08/2023 11:02, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 10:48, Pipl wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:43:47 +0100, Pete Fisher
>> <peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I've managed to ride past the first one at a longer hill, saw the next
>>> one being frantically waved.
>>
>> If your run is aborted by someone else, do you get another go?
>>

> Ho yuss.

If it's a practice run, not always.

--
/Simon

Re: A very rambling Cadwell trackday report

<kklmioFp8liU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17773&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#17773

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 07:16:54 +0100
 by: Pete Fisher - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 06:16 UTC

On 22/08/2023 22:03, siwilson wrote:
> On 20/08/2023 11:02, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> On 20/08/2023 10:48, Pipl wrote:

>>> If your run is aborted by someone else, do you get another go?
>>>

>> Ho yuss.
>>

> If it's a practice run, not always.

Ah, yes. Was thinking of 'timed' runs.

I remember the days when at some events practice wasn't always timed
(Curborough way back when the Vincent Owners Club used to run it comes
to mind - but may well be a false memory).