From: ruddock117@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Umra Book Club: Susan Hill
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:49:36 +0100
 by: Mike Ruddock - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 13:49 UTC

I have been a reader of Susan Hill's books (particularly her Serrailler
series) for years. I know there are several followers of the doings of
Simon Serrailler among umra (not least the much missed Sid).
I have just finished re-reading several of them in preparation for the
publishing of the new volume (No 12: The Sound of Footsteps) which was
expected today. I even had a note from the seller that the new
volumewoulod be with me today. But today brought me another note saying
they were cancelling the order because of a "lack of availability".
Does anyone know why this should be so?

Mike Ruddock

Re: Umra Book Club: Susan Hill

<3jithi9r8ui6485j0ejji1f495a3t91q16@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18056&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18056

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Umra Book Club: Susan Hill
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 15:47:21 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:47 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:49:36 +0100, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I have been a reader of Susan Hill's books (particularly her Serrailler
>series) for years. I know there are several followers of the doings of
>Simon Serrailler among umra (not least the much missed Sid).
>I have just finished re-reading several of them in preparation for the
>publishing of the new volume (No 12: The Sound of Footsteps) which was
>expected today. I even had a note from the seller that the new
>volumewoulod be with me today. But today brought me another note saying
>they were cancelling the order because of a "lack of availability".
>Does anyone know why this should be so?

Interesting. Investigating from this side of the Atlantic (start my
journey home tomorrow so no more investigations until I'm back in Dear
Old Blighty) some very odd dates are being thrown up. One Canadian
bookshop is offering it for sale and claimes to have had it since Oct
6th 2022; another both says it is in stock but invites a pre-order for
publication date 24 December 2024 whilst from over here, Foyles of
London seems supremely confident tha it can offer the book for £18.99
when it is published on 1st January 2098

You don't suppose this is some kind of marketing gimmick, do you? Akin
to Taylor Swift's "Easter Eggs" or The Rolling Stones placing a
classified ad in the Hackney Gazette to tease the launch of their
latest album?

Nick

Re: Umra Book Club: Susan Hill

<ko86prFdeu0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18058&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18058

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:33:00 +0100
 by: Kate B - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:33 UTC

On 05/10/2023 15:47, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:49:36 +0100, Mike Ruddock
> <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been a reader of Susan Hill's books (particularly her Serrailler
>> series) for years. I know there are several followers of the doings of
>> Simon Serrailler among umra (not least the much missed Sid).
>> I have just finished re-reading several of them in preparation for the
>> publishing of the new volume (No 12: The Sound of Footsteps) which was
>> expected today. I even had a note from the seller that the new
>> volumewoulod be with me today. But today brought me another note saying
>> they were cancelling the order because of a "lack of availability".
>> Does anyone know why this should be so?
>>
> Interesting. Investigating from this side of the Atlantic (start my
> journey home tomorrow so no more investigations until I'm back in Dear
> Old Blighty) some very odd dates are being thrown up. One Canadian
> bookshop is offering it for sale and claimes to have had it since Oct
> 6th 2022; another both says it is in stock but invites a pre-order for
> publication date 24 December 2024 whilst from over here, Foyles of
> London seems supremely confident tha it can offer the book for £18.99
> when it is published on 1st January 2098
>
> You don't suppose this is some kind of marketing gimmick, do you? Akin
> to Taylor Swift's "Easter Eggs" or The Rolling Stones placing a
> classified ad in the Hackney Gazette to tease the launch of their
> latest album?
>
> Nick

This is all very odd. I had forgotten about the Serrailler books, which
a couple of years ago I both enjoyed and was rather troubled by, and
realised that I didn't have the last two books (10 and 11) at all.

Looking at this site, though, there seem to be several more: A Breach of
Security. Hero, and Old Haunts. Are they all short stories?
https://www.mostrecommendedbooks.com/series/simon-serrailler-books-in-order

And although several sites mention The Sound of Footsteps, you're right,
none of them have a remotely credible date!

--
Kate B