Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:38:28 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: old medicines
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 18:38 UTC

I ate too much today. I'm not in discomfort as such, but perhaps a
little less comfortable than usual. So I wondered if an Alka-Seltzer
might do some good. (I rarely use them.)

The packet I can read clearly has a use-by date of 2003. The other one,
if I am making it out correctly, is 11/78 - so just under 45 years!
(They look fine - well-sealed foil packages.)

Thoughts?

This was before we knew that a laboratory rat, if experimented upon, will
develop cancer. [Quoted by] Anne (annezo@aol.com), 1997-1-29

Re: OT: old medicines

<nrtthilhumh1fn0tn7bqoholj6lrmugduv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18064&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18064

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: old medicines
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 18:56:29 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:38:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>I ate too much today. I'm not in discomfort as such, but perhaps a
>little less comfortable than usual. So I wondered if an Alka-Seltzer
>might do some good. (I rarely use them.)
>
>The packet I can read clearly has a use-by date of 2003. The other one,
>if I am making it out correctly, is 11/78 - so just under 45 years!
>(They look fine - well-sealed foil packages.)
>
>Thoughts?

This comes with all the medical knowledge you might expect of a
retired musical instrument maker but in my experience, the vast
majority of medicines don't turn into something nasty when they get
old - they just don't work as effectively. Alka Seltzer is just made
from common chemicals. Your kitchen baking soda won't go bad with age
and neither will Alka Seltzer. The binders and fillers in the tablet
or powders might have gone a little tired but it shouldn't kill you.

If in doubt with anything like this, Google "<name of medicine>
expired" and see what comes up.

Nick

Re: OT: old medicines

<9qbrqpEnjwHlFwzU@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18065&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18065

Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:05:11 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:05 UTC

In message <nrtthilhumh1fn0tn7bqoholj6lrmugduv@4ax.com> at Thu, 5 Oct
2023 18:56:29, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes
>On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 19:38:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>I ate too much today. I'm not in discomfort as such, but perhaps a
>>little less comfortable than usual. So I wondered if an Alka-Seltzer
>>might do some good. (I rarely use them.)
>>
>>The packet I can read clearly has a use-by date of 2003. The other one,
>>if I am making it out correctly, is 11/78 - so just under 45 years!
>>(They look fine - well-sealed foil packages.)
>>
>>Thoughts?
>
>This comes with all the medical knowledge you might expect of a
>retired musical instrument maker but in my experience, the vast

That was my thought.

>majority of medicines don't turn into something nasty when they get
>old - they just don't work as effectively. Alka Seltzer is just made
>from common chemicals. Your kitchen baking soda won't go bad with age
>and neither will Alka Seltzer. The binders and fillers in the tablet
>or powders might have gone a little tired but it shouldn't kill you.
>
>If in doubt with anything like this, Google "<name of medicine>
>expired" and see what comes up.
>
>Nick

I took a couple. It said dissolved in water, and it dissolves faster in
warm; I used some rather hot, and it fizzed over a bit - obviously the
baking soda at least is still fine! - and so far no ill effects aargh
splat etc. - the active medical ingredient seems to be aspirin anyway.
We'll see!

It is important to write so that you can be understood. It is far more
important to write so that you cannot be misunderstood.

Re: OT: old medicines

<at9uhi5fq7cmmq9bfkqh15ha25v7c23344@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18069&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18069

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 22:43:45 +0100
 by: Penny - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 21:43 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 20:05:11 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>It is important to write so that you can be understood. It is far more
>important to write so that you cannot be misunderstood.

Oh, I do like that!
I sometimes have trouble persuading people that what they have written does
not mean what they have written.

I finally bought a sub-smart phone recently, and am getting to grips with
it. At some point last week I got a flashing green light (it's a
clam-shell, and this little light on the outside can indicate any sort of
message). Normally, opening the thing will show me what it is and give me
the option to open, or ignore it. I fumbled as I opened it and lost the
initial message. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything but when I
tried voicemail I was told I needed to set it up. I thought I had done so
but the green light continued to flash.

Fed up with the continuous flashing light, which effectively prevented me
knowing if there was a new message, I emailed support at the manufacturer,
telling them I had deleted everything from everywhere and it hadn't helped.
The reply started by congratulating me of what I had already tried and then
said "We must now remove the battery for a few seconds and replace it
again." Odd use of pronouns, made it sound as though she would do that for
more, which plainly wasn't what she meant.
Below was my original message prefixed with 'the date, <my name> dit:' so
that explained the odd English.

I did a 'How did we do?' survey later and did mention this. I can imagine
some English people, struggling with their 'old peoples' phone', failing to
understand. I hope I didn't get her into trouble...
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959