Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:54:49 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
Subject: Windows latest update
 by: krw - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:54 UTC

I have once again had to roll back a Windows Update.

Once again the people who these days run the company have forced the use
of drop shadows on the text under the icons on the desktop. Every time
there is an upgrade these pesky drop shadows come back - even though
Windows has a box which can turn them "off". This has been going on for
6 - 7 years.

Only Windows does not obey the setting to turn them off - so every
upgrade there has to be a manual fix.

Except all the manual fixes which previously worked apparently no longer
work. So the upgrade has been removed. And I was so anxious to use
CoPilot to write presentations and do all my work for me!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Windows latest update

<kpfceuFsuj9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18307&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18307

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Windows latest update
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:08:46 +0100
 by: Kate B - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:08 UTC

On 20/10/2023 13:54, krw wrote:
> I have once again had to roll back a Windows Update.
>
> Once again the people who these days run the company have forced the use
> of drop shadows on the text under the icons on the desktop.  Every time
> there is an upgrade these pesky drop shadows come back - even though
> Windows has a box which can turn them "off".  This has been going on for
> 6 - 7 years.
>
> Only Windows does not obey the setting to turn them off - so every
> upgrade there has to be a manual fix.
>
> Except all the manual fixes which previously worked apparently no longer
> work.  So the upgrade has been removed.  And I was so anxious to use
> CoPilot to write presentations and do all my work for me!

what is a drop shadow? I don't seem to have anything like that (W10 kept
updated)

--
Kate B

Re: Windows latest update

<j5wfKhoCFoMlFwo9@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18310&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18310

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:31:46 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:31 UTC

In message <kpfceuFsuj9U2@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 20 Oct 2023
14:08:46, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 20/10/2023 13:54, krw wrote:
>> I have once again had to roll back a Windows Update.
>> Once again the people who these days run the company have forced the
>>use of drop shadows on the text under the icons on the desktop.
>>Every time there is an upgrade these pesky drop shadows come back -
>>even though Windows has a box which can turn them "off".  This has
>>been going on for 6 - 7 years.
>> Only Windows does not obey the setting to turn them off - so every
>>upgrade there has to be a manual fix.
>> Except all the manual fixes which previously worked apparently no
>>longer work.  So the upgrade has been removed.  And I was so anxious
>>to use CoPilot to write presentations and do all my work for me!
>
>what is a drop shadow? I don't seem to have anything like that (W10
>kept updated)

Where a "shadow" - usually below and to the right - of the text appears
under it, as if the text was floating just above the desktop and casting
a shadow. Possibly only appears in certain "themes", which if you have
simpler ones selected you've never seen anyway. Looks pretty, but
reduces readability for some people.

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)