Since we're all here, we must not be all there. -- Bob "Mountain" Beck

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

SubjectAuthor
* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
+* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Sam Plusnet
|`* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
| `- Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Sam Plusnet
+* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Serena Blanchflower
|`* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
| `* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Serena Blanchflower
|  `- Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
`* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Marmaduke Jinks
 `* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
  `* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Marmaduke Jinks
   `* Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Steve Hague
    `- Well, I'm back (ask EU.)Marmaduke Jinks

1
Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ug8i7g$2e7mu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18175&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18175

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 11:36:31 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:36 UTC

At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it
my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server.
It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As
soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go
no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I
tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I
had an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church
stuff and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have
my ngs back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in
Windows 11 that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
Steve .

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<%F%VM.14844$E005.2089@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18186&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18186

Subject: Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 00:53:31 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 23:53 UTC

On 12-Oct-23 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it
> my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server.
> It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
> newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As
> soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go
> no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I
> tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
> Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
> would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I
> had an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church
> stuff and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have
> my ngs back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in
> Windows 11 that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
> Steve  .

Happy to have you (back) on board Steve.
People do seem to have problems with Thunderbird, but I have the
impression that there are a wide range of things being complained of.

I'm hanging on to an earlier version of Thunderbird - until things
settle down to a dull roar.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugb4fa$33krk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18195&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18195

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:00:10 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:00 UTC

On 13/10/2023 00:53, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 12-Oct-23 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with
>> it my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin
>> server. It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and
>> selected newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet
>> server. As soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out,
>> and I could go no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of
>> which helped. I tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the
>> problem was with Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install.
>> No different. Why would it allow email and messaging, but not
>> newsgroups. This morning I had an idea. I have another laptop which I
>> normally just use for church stuff and has never had usenet on it. It
>> took about two minutes to have my ngs back. I'm guessing it's a very
>> selective security feature in Windows 11 that prevents access to ngs.
>> Any ideas?
>> Steve  .
>

> Happy to have you (back) on board Steve.
> People do seem to have problems with Thunderbird, but I have the
> impression that there are a wide range of things being complained of.
>
> I'm hanging on to an earlier version of Thunderbird - until things
> settle down to a dull roar.

It's not thunderbird with me. I tried installing Sea Monkey and had the
same result.

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugbbu5$32jsm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18199&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18199

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:07:33 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:07 UTC

On 12/10/2023 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it
> my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server.
> It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
> newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As
> soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go
> no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I
> tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
> Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
> would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I
> had an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church
> stuff and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have
> my ngs back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in
> Windows 11 that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
> Steve  .

I don't see any mention of passwords in the data fed to FB for both
Berlin and Eternal-September. If they weren't withheld, for security
reasons, this could be the problem. I know that, when I first set up
Eternal-September, it was all too easy to miss the point when it should
have been given a password, leaving it just saying "Newsgroups? What
newsgroups?". Once I'd gone back and fed it the necessary info, it
found them all without problems. I suspect Berlin would be much the same.

Mind you, I don't understand how your church laptop is managing - it's
tempting to suggest divine intervention...

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What did the great explorer eat in the jungle?

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugbjso$37e8p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18205&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18205

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:23:20 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 14:23 UTC

On 13/10/2023 13:07, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 12/10/2023 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with
>> it my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin
>> server. It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and
>> selected newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet
>> server. As soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out,
>> and I could go no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of
>> which helped. I tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the
>> problem was with Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install.
>> No different. Why would it allow email and messaging, but not
>> newsgroups. This morning I had an idea. I have another laptop which I
>> normally just use for church stuff and has never had usenet on it. It
>> took about two minutes to have my ngs back. I'm guessing it's a very
>> selective security feature in Windows 11 that prevents access to ngs.
>> Any ideas?
>> Steve  .
>

> I don't see any mention of passwords in the data fed to FB for both
> Berlin and Eternal-September.  If they weren't withheld, for security
> reasons, this could be the problem.  I know that, when I first set up
> Eternal-September, it was all too easy to miss the point when it should
> have been given a password, leaving it just saying "Newsgroups?  What
> newsgroups?".  Once I'd gone back and fed it the necessary info, it
> found them all without problems.  I suspect Berlin would be much the same.
>
> Mind you, I don't understand how your church laptop is managing - it's
> tempting to suggest divine intervention...

I wondered about passwords, but at no point was I asked to set a
password. Someone suggested I force the news server to ask for a
password, but didn't say how this could be done.

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugbnhd$32jsl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18207&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18207

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 16:25:32 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 15:25 UTC

On 13/10/2023 15:23, Steve Hague wrote:
> On 13/10/2023 13:07, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>> On 12/10/2023 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
>>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with
>>> it my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin
>>> server. It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and
>>> selected newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet
>>> server. As soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out,
>>> and I could go no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of
>>> which helped. I tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed
>>> the problem was with Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean
>>> install. No different. Why would it allow email and messaging, but
>>> not newsgroups. This morning I had an idea. I have another laptop
>>> which I normally just use for church stuff and has never had usenet
>>> on it. It took about two minutes to have my ngs back. I'm guessing
>>> it's a very selective security feature in Windows 11 that prevents
>>> access to ngs. Any ideas?
>>> Steve  .
>>

>> I don't see any mention of passwords in the data fed to FB for both
>> Berlin and Eternal-September.  If they weren't withheld, for security
>> reasons, this could be the problem.  I know that, when I first set up
>> Eternal-September, it was all too easy to miss the point when it
>> should have been given a password, leaving it just saying
>> "Newsgroups?  What newsgroups?".  Once I'd gone back and fed it the
>> necessary info, it found them all without problems.  I suspect Berlin
>> would be much the same.
>>
>> Mind you, I don't understand how your church laptop is managing - it's
>> tempting to suggest divine intervention...
>>
> I wondered about passwords, but at no point was I asked to set a
> password. Someone suggested I force the news server to ask for a
> password, but didn't say how this could be done.

Go into the page of Server Settings, for your news server, within the
Account Settings page, and tick "Always request authentication when
connecting to this server".

--
Best wishes, Serena
My doctor told me to keep in shape. Well, this is my shape and I'm

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<PUfWM.17310$E005.5744@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18211&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18211

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:21:35 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 18:21 UTC

On 13-Oct-23 11:00, Steve Hague wrote:
> On 13/10/2023 00:53, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 12-Oct-23 11:36, Steve Hague wrote:
>>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with
>>> it my ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin
>>> server. It duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and
>>> selected newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet
>>> server. As soon as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out,
>>> and I could go no further. There was plenty of advice online, none of
>>> which helped. I tried Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed
>>> the problem was with Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean
>>> install. No different. Why would it allow email and messaging, but
>>> not newsgroups. This morning I had an idea. I have another laptop
>>> which I normally just use for church stuff and has never had usenet
>>> on it. It took about two minutes to have my ngs back. I'm guessing
>>> it's a very selective security feature in Windows 11 that prevents
>>> access to ngs. Any ideas?
>>> Steve  .
>>

>> Happy to have you (back) on board Steve.
>> People do seem to have problems with Thunderbird, but I have the
>> impression that there are a wide range of things being complained of.
>>
>> I'm hanging on to an earlier version of Thunderbird - until things
>> settle down to a dull roar.
>>
> It's not thunderbird with me. I tried installing Sea Monkey and had the
> same result.

Glitch in your security/anti-virus software?

They can take agin things for no evident reason sometimes.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugd90q$3n3us$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18215&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18215

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 06:30:02 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 05:30 UTC

On 13/10/2023 16:25, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 13/10/2023 15:23, Steve Hague wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't see any mention of passwords in the data fed to FB for both
>>> Berlin and Eternal-September.  If they weren't withheld, for security
>>> reasons, this could be the problem.  I know that, when I first set up
>>> Eternal-September, it was all too easy to miss the point when it
>>> should have been given a password, leaving it just saying
>>> "Newsgroups?  What newsgroups?".  Once I'd gone back and fed it the
>>> necessary info, it found them all without problems.  I suspect Berlin
>>> would be much the same.
>>>
>>> Mind you, I don't understand how your church laptop is managing -
>>> it's tempting to suggest divine intervention...
>>>
>> I wondered about passwords, but at no point was I asked to set a
>> password. Someone suggested I force the news server to ask for a
>> password, but didn't say how this could be done.
>

> Go into the page of Server Settings, for your news server, within the
> Account Settings page, and tick "Always request authentication when
> connecting to this server".

That was advice I had from Berlin. No change.

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugli47$2s70f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18247&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18247

From: Jinks@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:54:29 +0100
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:54 UTC

"Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message
> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it my
> ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server. It
> duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
> newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As soon
> as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go no
> further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I tried
> Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
> Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
> would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I had
> an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church stuff
> and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have my ngs
> back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in Windows 11
> that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
> Steve .

I noticed there was an active newsgroup called
alt.comp.os.windows-11
They have a few newsgroup quesions/answers in there.
Perhaps a post in there, from your other computer, might come up with an
answer?

MJ

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ugm7qp$316av$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18250&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18250

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:04:57 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:04 UTC

On 17/10/2023 09:54, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
> "Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it my
>> ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server. It
>> duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
>> newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As soon
>> as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go no
>> further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I tried
>> Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
>> Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
>> would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I had
>> an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church stuff
>> and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have my ngs
>> back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in Windows 11
>> that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
>> Steve .
>
> I noticed there was an active newsgroup called
> alt.comp.os.windows-11
> They have a few newsgroup quesions/answers in there.
> Perhaps a post in there, from your other computer, might come up with an
> answer?
>
> MJ

Thanks for that MJ. I'll give it a try.

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<uh6pm3$3d6qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18365&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18365

From: Jinks@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 22:47:45 +0100
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:47 UTC

> On 17/10/2023 09:54, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>> "Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> At the end of September my Usenet provider, AIOE went awol, and with it
>>> my
>>> ng access. No problem I thought, I'll subscribe to the Berlin server. It
>>> duly appeared below my inbox, andI went into settings and selected
>>> newsgroups. It required my name, email address and usenet server. As
>>> soon
>>> as I entered the latter, the next button greyed out, and I could go no
>>> further. There was plenty of advice online, none of which helped. I
>>> tried
>>> Eternal-September, same result, so I assumed the problem was with
>>> Thunderbird, so I deleted it and did a clean install. No different. Why
>>> would it allow email and messaging, but not newsgroups. This morning I
>>> had
>>> an idea. I have another laptop which I normally just use for church
>>> stuff
>>> and has never had usenet on it. It took about two minutes to have my ngs
>>> back. I'm guessing it's a very selective security feature in Windows 11
>>> that prevents access to ngs. Any ideas?
>>> Steve .
>>
>> I noticed there was an active newsgroup called
>> alt.comp.os.windows-11
>> They have a few newsgroup quesions/answers in there.
>> Perhaps a post in there, from your other computer, might come up with an
>> answer?
>>
>> MJ
>>

> Thanks for that MJ. I'll give it a try.

I can see they made a few suggestions. Did any prove helpful?

MJ

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<uhvfj7$22bv8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18477&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18477

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 06:28:54 +0000
 by: Steve Hague - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 06:28 UTC

On 23/10/2023 22:47, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
> "Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 17/10/2023 09:54, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>>> "Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I noticed there was an active newsgroup called
>>> alt.comp.os.windows-11
>>> They have a few newsgroup quesions/answers in there.
>>> Perhaps a post in there, from your other computer, might come up with an
>>> answer?
>>>
>>> MJ
>>>

>> Thanks for that MJ. I'll give it a try.
>
> I can see they made a few suggestions. Did any prove helpful?
>
> MJ

I'm afraid not. Most of the suggestions had already been made elsewhere
and implemented, to no avail.

Re: Well, I'm back (ask EU.)

<ui3b89$2sdgf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18489&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18489

From: Jinks@Totopoly.co.uk (Marmaduke Jinks)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 17:39:14 -0000
 by: Marmaduke Jinks - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 17:39 UTC

> On 23/10/2023 22:47, Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>> "Steve Hague" <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Thanks for that MJ. I'll give it a try.
>>
>> I can see they made a few suggestions. Did any prove helpful?
>>
>> MJ
>>

> I'm afraid not. Most of the suggestions had already been made elsewhere
> and implemented, to no avail.

:-(

Did you try the Thunderbird usenet group? alt.comp.software.thunderbird

It seems quite an active group.

MJ