Life is a POPULARITY CONTEST! I'm REFRESHINGLY CANDID!!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersJenny M Benson
`* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
 `* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
  `* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersVicky
   `* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
    `* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
     +* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
     |+* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersVicky
     ||`* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersChris
     || `- OT: Robot vacuum cleanersJ. P. Gilliver
     |`* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersJ. P. Gilliver
     | +- OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
     | `- OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan
     `* OT: Robot vacuum cleanersIain Archer
      `- OT: Robot vacuum cleanersMike McMillan

1
OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<kqs93rFjllvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18522&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18522

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:47:39 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 13:47 UTC

Does anyrat have one? I'd like answers to a few questions. Happy to
take it off-line

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uiaum3$gmqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18523&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18523

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:53:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iPIRMOKIEAumI+CgAz3zZYDoq6w=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:53 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Does anyrat have one? I'd like answers to a few questions. Happy to
> take it off-line

Yup, we have the iRobot Roomba i7 model (actually, 2 of them - upstairs and
down) very good apart from the tight corners it can’t access. We had a
junior model first and passed this down the line to Wunderkind; she said
that she first used it (the Roona I mean) after having used her Dyson on
the floors and was amazed at how much more the Roomba picked up.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uiauq0$gngb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18524&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18524

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:56:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4VgpKQGuHTpfLB5QMrB8Q/Um7a8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:56 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Does anyrat have one? I'd like answers to a few questions. Happy to
>> take it off-line
>>

> Yup, we have the iRobot Roomba i7 model (actually, 2 of them - upstairs and
> down) very good apart from the tight corners it can’t access. We had a
> junior model first and passed this down the line to Wunderkind; she said
> that she first used it (the Roona I mean) after having used her Dyson on
> the floors and was amazed at how much more the Roomba picked up.

Oh, and her offsprungs enjoy commanding ‘Dave’ via Alexa to go to work!😊

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<cc8ikilsi2t39ucievea92ngiiku8ncjan@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18533&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18533

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 17:27:53 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 17:27 UTC

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:56:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Does anyrat have one? I'd like answers to a few questions. Happy to
>>> take it off-line
>>>

>> Yup, we have the iRobot Roomba i7 model (actually, 2 of them - upstairs and
>> down) very good apart from the tight corners it can’t access. We had a
>> junior model first and passed this down the line to Wunderkind; she said
>> that she first used it (the Roona I mean) after having used her Dyson on
>> the floors and was amazed at how much more the Roomba picked up.
>>

>Oh, and her offsprungs enjoy commanding ‘Dave’ via Alexa to go to work!?
Please leave it here on umra. I've been wanting one for years.
Drawbacks? B does the vacuuming. I've always hated doing it, even
wg=hen I had the purple and lilac Dyson.

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uibc8d$j234$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18536&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18536

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:45:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WIOQ7rR9KaPwVtQul8b76mjprx0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:45 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:56:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yup, we have the iRobot Roomba i7 model (actually, 2 of them - upstairs and
>>> down) very good apart from the tight corners it can’t access. We had a
>>> junior model first and passed this down the line to Wunderkind; she said
>>> that she first used it (the Roona I mean) after having used her Dyson on
>>> the floors and was amazed at how much more the Roomba picked up.
>>>

>> Oh, and her offsprungs enjoy commanding ‘Dave’ via Alexa to go to work!?
> Please leave it here on umra. I've been wanting one for years.
> Drawbacks? B does the vacuuming. I've always hated doing it, even
> wg=hen I had the purple and lilac Dyson.

I suppose it will leave a vacuum in your life if it went elsewhere then,
yeah, that sucks.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uibcll$j4gl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18537&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18537

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:52:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:29SW/Y9zXFPtd/cHcVrHBRvlcHw=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:52 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:56:00 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> Oh, and her offsprungs enjoy commanding ‘Dave’ via Alexa to go to work!?
>> Please leave it here on umra. I've been wanting one for years.
>> Drawbacks? B does the vacuuming. I've always hated doing it, even
>> wg=hen I had the purple and lilac Dyson.
>>

> I suppose it will leave a vacuum in your life if it went elsewhere then,
> yeah, that sucks.

Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uibcr4$j5kt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18538&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18538

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:kWjj3kyVNX9gCfShi4R78qgNlAM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please leave it here on umra. I've been wanting one for years.
>>> Drawbacks? B does the vacuuming. I've always hated doing it, even
>>> wg=hen I had the purple and lilac Dyson.
>>>

>> I suppose it will leave a vacuum in your life if it went elsewhere then,
>> yeah, that sucks.
>>

> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!

Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<5gfikidg1fh7bls34l7s3bt00pn4k52fl2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18539&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18539

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2023 19:27:03 +0000
 by: Vicky - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 19:27 UTC

On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> I suppose it will leave a vacuum in your life if it went elsewhere then,
>>> yeah, that sucks.
>>>

>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
>> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
>> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
>> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
>> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
>> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
>> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
>> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!
>>

>Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!

B says our rooms are too small and corner places hard to get to.

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<MgD9evdc5WSlFw9D@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18546&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18546

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:53:16 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:53 UTC

In message <uibcr4$j5kt$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
[Robot vacuum cleaners (are they actually vacuum, or just brushes?)]
>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
>> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
>> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
>> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
>> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
>> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
>> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
>> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!

Is there much difference between brands? (E. g., is the Roomba - which I
think was the first one - better or worse?) Or, are they all made by the
same company so far?

>Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!

Plenty of videos on YouTube, certainly. I'm dubious whether the cats of
their own accord decided to ride them, or whether they were placed.

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uicseo$u2g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18549&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18549

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 08:28:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iLJGHg9yCYRDCdi9W2xQwk2ZEIg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 08:28 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <uibcr4$j5kt$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> [Robot vacuum cleaners (are they actually vacuum, or just brushes?)]
>>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
>>> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
>>> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
>>> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
>>> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
>>> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
>>> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
>>> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!
>>>
> Is there much difference between brands? (E. g., is the Roomba - which I
> think was the first one - better or worse?) Or, are they all made by the
> same company so far?
>>
>> Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!
>>
> Plenty of videos on YouTube, certainly. I'm dubious whether the cats of
> their own accord decided to ride them, or whether they were placed.

Hence my ‘apparently’.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uicurj$ufaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18550&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18550

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:09:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:9STYije1YXCFK/sw2kk5qEPpNgM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:09 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <uibcr4$j5kt$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> [Robot vacuum cleaners (are they actually vacuum, or just brushes?)]
>>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
>>> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
>>> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
>>> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
>>> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
>>> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
>>> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
>>> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!
>>>
> Is there much difference between brands? (E. g., is the Roomba - which I
> think was the first one - better or worse?) Or, are they all made by the
> same company so far?
>>
>> Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!
>>
> Plenty of videos on YouTube, certainly. I'm dubious whether the cats of
> their own accord decided to ride them, or whether they were placed.

I don’t know nuffink not no how about other makes other than iRobot Roombas
(other brands are available, as they say) but in the case of the iRobot
models, they have a spinning 3 legged brush to pull in loose debris, they
have a pair of rollers that draw the muck into the centre orifice which has
a strong vacuum device. Sensors detect carpet or hard floors and there are
several stages of filtering of the exhausted air.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uicuso$uff7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18551&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18551

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:09:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:sKfBMY8qZxzBVvVOLsR9zGPWd1Y=
 by: Chris - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:09 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 18:55:32 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is no
>>> bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand - and
>>> this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced. Drawbacks? Um,
>>> can’t really thinking of any other than ensuring things left on the floor
>>> should be cleared away if you value them and that those tight little
>>> corners really need a crevice brush clean occasionally as most models have
>>> a limit to tightness of corners they can access. Sometimes the corners of
>>> rugs will be rucked up by the cleaning brushes, but they are thorough!
>>>

>> Apparently, cats like to ride on the top of them too!
>
> B says our rooms are too small and corner places hard to get to.

Hazel’s deals with a rented 21st century rabbit hutch flat well enough.

Mrs McT

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<EzKPK5C6EiSlFwdw@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18559&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18559

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:36:26 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:36 UTC

In message <uicuso$uff7$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:09:44,
Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> writes
[]
>Hazel’s deals with a rented 21st century rabbit hutch flat well enough.
>
>Mrs McT

I had fun parsing that sentence! (No criticism implied.)

First, I was wondering what "Hazel's deals" might be. Then I had fun
with the 21st century rabbit, and flat well.

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uiiip3$25ojf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18599&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18599

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 12:19:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 12:19 UTC

On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 18:52:38 +0000, Mike McMillan wrote:

> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is
> no bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand
> - and this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced.

Does the replacement happen automatically?
What does it do if it wants to relieve itself and can't find the bag
or there's none there? Does it go outside?

Re: OT: Robot vacuum cleaners

<uiion9$27od4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18603&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18603

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 14:01:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aCfAHsKjmda8oXVKrqlv+K2E5F0=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 9 Nov 2023 14:01 UTC

Iain Archer <ianews@montaigne.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2023 18:52:38 +0000, Mike McMillan wrote:
>
>> Periodically, I need to clean the rollers and brushes, the emptying is
>> no bother as ours empties itself into a large bag in the charging stand
>> - and this bag last for 6 months or more before being replaced.
>
> Does the replacement happen automatically?
> What does it do if it wants to relieve itself and can't find the bag
> or there's none there? Does it go outside?

I think it would Poo-Poo that idea!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan