From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: TM problem
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:37:37 +0100
 by: Mark - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:37 UTC

Recently I attempted a manual TM backup, only for it to fail with
'Backup Failed. Not enough space' (or similar). It was my impression
that TM deleted old snapshots to free up enough room to do a current
backup. Indeed, I've had pop-ups previously after a backup that told me
TM had done just that and what my earliest snapshot now was.

I don't know if it's related, but this was my first backup after
freeing up an extra ~30GB of space on my 1/2TB HD, now giving me about
~50GB free (The TM drive shows 50GB free).

Oddly, I just randomly clicked Enter Time Machine, and it's showing me
a single backup (the last one I did) & nothing before that. This is
very strange. Anyone know what might have happened?

(This is on Catalina)

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: TM problem

<0001HW.2AD6A72D0037D2A030EF1438F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18654&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18654

From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: TM problem
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:49:33 +0100
 by: Ian McCall - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:49 UTC

On 11 Oct 2023, Mark wrote
(in article <ug5qd1$1oou7$1@dont-email.me>):

> Recently I attempted a manual TM backup, only for it to fail with
> 'Backup Failed. Not enough space' (or similar). It was my impression
> that TM deleted old snapshots to free up enough room to do a current
> backup. Indeed, I've had pop-ups previously after a backup that told me
> TM had done just that and what my earliest snapshot now was.
>
> I don't know if it's related, but this was my first backup after
> freeing up an extra ~30GB of space on my 1/2TB HD, now giving me about
> > 50GB free (The TM drive shows 50GB free).
>
> Oddly, I just randomly clicked Enter Time Machine, and it's showing me
> a single backup (the last one I did) & nothing before that. This is
> very strange. Anyone know what might have happened?
>
> (This is on Catalina)

How big is your drive, and how big is the TM drive? It’s supposed to be
about double the size of the drive being backed up.

Cheers,
Ian

Re: TM problem

<ug5ron$1p1s2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18655&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18655

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:00:56 +0100
 by: Mark - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:00 UTC

On 2023-10-11 09:49:33 +0000, Ian McCall said:

> On 11 Oct 2023, Mark wrote
> (in article <ug5qd1$1oou7$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> Recently I attempted a manual TM backup, only for it to fail with
>> 'Backup Failed. Not enough space' (or similar). It was my impression
>> that TM deleted old snapshots to free up enough room to do a current
>> backup. Indeed, I've had pop-ups previously after a backup that told me
>> TM had done just that and what my earliest snapshot now was.
>>
>> I don't know if it's related, but this was my first backup after
>> freeing up an extra ~30GB of space on my 1/2TB HD, now giving me about
>>> 50GB free (The TM drive shows 50GB free).
>>
>> Oddly, I just randomly clicked Enter Time Machine, and it's showing me
>> a single backup (the last one I did) & nothing before that. This is
>> very strange. Anyone know what might have happened?
>>
>> (This is on Catalina)
>
> How big is your drive, and how big is the TM drive? It’s supposed to be
> about double the size of the drive being backed up.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

SSD is 500GB, TM is 1TB. I've used it for ...maybe a year? I haven't
seen the 'deleted old backups' pop-up for quite a while (and maybe
never for this drive).

Suddenly I'm at 'Can't backup, not enough space' with 50GB free on it &
a single backup from 2 weeks ago...
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: TM problem

<koqidpFp0mdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18662&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18662

From: invalid@nomail.com (Martin-S)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Oct 2023 15:41:45 GMT
 by: Martin-S - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:41 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I attempted a manual TM backup, only for it to fail with
> 'Backup Failed. Not enough space' (or similar). It was my impression
> that TM deleted old snapshots to free up enough room to do a current
> backup. Indeed, I've had pop-ups previously after a backup that told me
> TM had done just that and what my earliest snapshot now was.
>
> I don't know if it's related, but this was my first backup after
> freeing up an extra ~30GB of space on my 1/2TB HD, now giving me about
> ~50GB free (The TM drive shows 50GB free).

It could be that TM wants to start a new backup from scratch and therefore
50BG isn’t enough. This can happen occasionally when TM verifies an
existing backup and the verification fails.

You might be able to run the verification again by holding down the option
key and selecting ‘Verify Backups’ from the TM menu bar icon. If it still
fails, your only option is to start a new backup either on a fresh HD or
erasing the existing one.

Re: TM problem

<ugb5in$349cv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18663&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18663

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:19:03 +0100
 by: Mark - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:19 UTC

On 2023-10-12 15:41:45 +0000, Martin-S said:

> Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recently I attempted a manual TM backup, only for it to fail with
>> 'Backup Failed. Not enough space' (or similar). It was my impression
>> that TM deleted old snapshots to free up enough room to do a current
>> backup. Indeed, I've had pop-ups previously after a backup that told me
>> TM had done just that and what my earliest snapshot now was.
>>
>> I don't know if it's related, but this was my first backup after
>> freeing up an extra ~30GB of space on my 1/2TB HD, now giving me about
>> ~50GB free (The TM drive shows 50GB free).
>
> It could be that TM wants to start a new backup from scratch and therefore
> 50BG isn’t enough. This can happen occasionally when TM verifies an
> existing backup and the verification fails.
>
> You might be able to run the verification again by holding down the option
> key and selecting ‘Verify Backups’ from the TM menu bar icon. If it still
> fails, your only option is to start a new backup either on a fresh HD or
> erasing the existing one.

"Verify Backups" is greyed out. Ran First Aid on it & all good. Looks
like a new backup. Oh well.
--
Cheers ... Mark

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: TM problem