Memory fault -- brain fried

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Microsoft Updates

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft Updateskrw
`* Microsoft UpdatesJ. P. Gilliver
 +* Microsoft UpdatesSerena Blanchflower
 |`- Microsoft UpdatesJ. P. Gilliver
 `* Microsoft Updateskrw
  `* Microsoft UpdatesBrritSki
   `* Microsoft Updateskrw
    `* Microsoft UpdatesSerena Blanchflower
     +- Microsoft UpdatesJ. P. Gilliver
     `- Microsoft Updateskrw

1
Microsoft Updates

<ojGdnXAR5M_2I8n4nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18755&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18755

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:49:49 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
Subject: Microsoft Updates
 by: krw - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:49 UTC

Having lambasted Apple can I now talk about Microsoft?

Before going away Microsoft implemented an update which enforced drop
shadows on the text underneath all the icons on the desktop - making
them less legible than I would like.

So I backed out the updates and paused all updates reasoning that
Microsoft would soon spot the clanger and they would issue another fix
by the time I returned.

And indeed a quick check with our old friend Mr Google confirmed that
people were reporting that the latest cumulative update had indeed
solved the problem.

So I unpause updates and wait for them to download and then run an
immediate install so that I have all patch packages in place and go
through the usual routine of sitting around doing nothing whilst the PC
reboots and thinks about it a lot and then reboots and then starts
coming to life.

And the wretched drop shadows are back all over the screen on every
single icon.

So now I have to look up the patch which was the cause and back it out -
so this means waiting for reboots and so on.

I think I have the machine as I want it.

Except that a couple of hours later I see on the taskbar the dreaded
warning that the PC wants to reboot to implement a new patch and it
isn't Tuesday.

When I check it is the same "bad" patch wanting to re-impose itself on
my PC.

So I have now paused updates for 5 weeks - but it is not permitted to do
it for any longer. So can Microsoft sort themselves out in 5 weeks?

To be continued ...

Today has not been productive in any shape or form. indeed I feel like
I need another holiday!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Microsoft Updates

<HMg25y0ZZQVlFwnZ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18760&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18760

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:56:41 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Microsoft Updates
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:56 UTC

In message <ojGdnXAR5M_2I8n4nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk> at Wed,
15 Nov 2023 12:49:49, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes
[]
>So I have now paused updates for 5 weeks - but it is not permitted to
>do it for any longer. So can Microsoft sort themselves out in 5 weeks?
>
>To be continued ...
>
>Today has not been productive in any shape or form. indeed I feel like
>I need another holiday!

What are you on - Windows 12? I find the serenity of 7 fine. I think -
yes, famous last words I know, but still - I'm experienced enough to
evade mal-whatevers, which is the usual scare tactic given to make
people take the upgrades (and buy the new computer necessary) - at
worst, I have the system imaged (I keep images from some way back) so
could recover from a disaster (mal or hardware fail); the other reason,
that they offer extra facilities, I hardly ever come across any such I
want. (OK, I did want one in the last day or two: the ability to "mount"
an .iso as if a drive, which doesn't come as standard in 7. But I could
easily have burnt a CD - or, as I did, a free download utility does it.)

I think truly new innovation in computer hardware and software slowed to
a crawl, somewhere between 5 and 15 - maybe 20 - years ago. Most new
things (and a lot of not so new!) are available on line, in many cases
for free if you know where to look. This i3/4G/500G/7-32 does all I
want, and I can't foresee anything changing that.

No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway.
- Penny Mayes, UMRA, 2014-August

Re: Microsoft Updates

<uj365u$1mbk6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18765&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18765

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:29:01 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:29 UTC

On 15/11/2023 17:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <ojGdnXAR5M_2I8n4nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk> at Wed,
> 15 Nov 2023 12:49:49, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes
> []
>> So I have now paused updates for 5 weeks - but it is not permitted to
>> do it for any longer.  So can Microsoft sort themselves out in 5 weeks?
>>
>> To be continued ...
>>
>> Today has not been productive in any shape or form.  indeed I feel
>> like I need another holiday!
>
> What are you on - Windows 12? I find the serenity of 7 fine. I think -
> yes, famous last words I know, but still - I'm experienced enough to
> evade mal-whatevers, which is the usual scare tactic given to make
> people take the upgrades (and buy the new computer necessary) - at
> worst, I have the system imaged (I keep images from some way back) so
> could recover from a disaster (mal or hardware fail); the other reason,
> that they offer extra facilities, I hardly ever come across any such I
> want. (OK, I did want one in the last day or two: the ability to "mount"
> an .iso as if a drive, which doesn't come as standard in 7. But I could
> easily have burnt a CD - or, as I did, a free download utility does it.)

I've been fine on Win 10, and haven't had any drop-shadows inflicted on
me (I do hope that this doesn't prove to be a case of "famous last words"!).

> I think truly new innovation in computer hardware and software slowed to
> a crawl, somewhere between 5 and 15 - maybe 20 - years ago. Most new
> things (and a lot of not so new!) are available on line, in many cases
> for free if you know where to look. This i3/4G/500G/7-32 does all I
> want, and I can't foresee anything changing that.

I would put the point where new innovations slowed to about ten years
ago. That's when I got this computer, deliberately buying one which was
a significantly higher spec (i7, 16GB) than I needed, on paper, in order
to future-proof it to a degree, so that I wouldn't need to replace it
too soon. I can't remember how old the computer I replaced was, at the
time, but by then it was really struggling with the, not hugely taxing,
things I wanted it to do.

I'm not unhappy though that this machine is too old to be able to take
Win 11. I gather that modern chips have some kind of security gizmo
which is required for Win 11 but which this machine doesn't have.

--
Best wishes, Serena
It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Re: Microsoft Updates

<hJidndYdJqGIz8j4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18768&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18768

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:19:48 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:19 UTC

On 15.11.23 17:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> What are you on - Windows 12?

Vapour ware. Windows 11 here.

I tend to use it in Windows 10 look-a-like rather than the new centre
start button and start menu but there are things which are useful
sometimes in the later versions - I do some copying and pasting from one
window to another and that is a lot easier these days.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Microsoft Updates

<krm9haFu5ceU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18777&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18777

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:34:18 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 10:34 UTC

On 15/11/2023 23:19, krw wrote:
> On 15.11.23 17:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> What are you on - Windows 12?
>
> Vapour ware.  Windows 11 here.
>
> I tend to use it in Windows 10 look-a-like rather than the new centre
> start button and start menu but there are things which are useful
> sometimes in the later versions - I do some copying and pasting from one
> window to another and that is a lot easier these days.

Really ?
What could be easier than highlight, Ctl-C, reposition cursor Ctl-V ?
The right-click button has been the same for decades too afaicr.

Ctl-A (select All the text you are looking at, and Ctl-P (guess) are
your friends too....

Re: Microsoft Updates

<hJidndAdJqHmZsj4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18778&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18778

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:22:37 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:22 UTC

On 16.11.23 10:34, BrritSki wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 23:19, krw wrote:
>> On 15.11.23 17:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> What are you on - Windows 12?
>>
>> Vapour ware.  Windows 11 here.
>>
>> I tend to use it in Windows 10 look-a-like rather than the new centre
>> start button and start menu but there are things which are useful
>> sometimes in the later versions - I do some copying and pasting from
>> one window to another and that is a lot easier these days.
>>
> Really ?
> What could be easier than highlight, Ctl-C, reposition cursor Ctl-V ?
> The right-click button has been the same for decades too afaicr.
>
> Ctl-A (select All the text you are looking at, and Ctl-P (guess) are
> your friends too....

The secret is Alt+V where you can find a few earlier Ctrl+C items as
well as the last one.

Also the Win+Shift+S shortcut for grabbing part window screen shots of a
video still for re-use elsewhere is absolutely essential - I have the
need and I could not live without it!

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Microsoft Updates

<uj54gk$26it5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18780&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18780

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:12:52 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:12 UTC

On 16/11/2023 11:22, krw wrote:
> On 16.11.23 10:34, BrritSki wrote:
>>>
>>> Vapour ware.  Windows 11 here.
>>>
>>> I tend to use it in Windows 10 look-a-like rather than the new centre
>>> start button and start menu but there are things which are useful
>>> sometimes in the later versions - I do some copying and pasting from
>>> one window to another and that is a lot easier these days.
>>>
>> Really ?
>> What could be easier than highlight, Ctl-C, reposition cursor Ctl-V ?
>> The right-click button has been the same for decades too afaicr.
>>
>> Ctl-A (select All the text you are looking at, and Ctl-P (guess) are
>> your friends too....
>
> The secret is Alt+V where you can find a few earlier Ctrl+C items as
> well as the last one.

In Win 10, I have Win-V allowing me to see, and use, the clip-board
history, and to pin things there to use again over coming days or weeks.
I think that, in Win 10, I had to tweak something in the settings to
get this. IIRC, it was a previous thread in umra that told me about
that option.

--
Best wishes, Serena

Re: Microsoft Updates

<K+5Vlg49QhVlFwVV@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18781&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18781

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:08:13 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:08 UTC

In message <uj365u$1mbk6$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 15 Nov 2023 19:29:01,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>On 15/11/2023 17:56, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <ojGdnXAR5M_2I8n4nZ2dnZfqn_QAAAAA@brightview.co.uk> at
>>Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:49:49, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes
>> []
>>> So I have now paused updates for 5 weeks - but it is not permitted
>>>to do it for any longer.  So can Microsoft sort themselves out in 5
>>>weeks?
>>>
>>> To be continued ...
>>>
>>> Today has not been productive in any shape or form.  indeed I feel
>>>like I need another holiday!
>> What are you on - Windows 12? I find the serenity of 7 fine. I think
[]
>I've been fine on Win 10, and haven't had any drop-shadows inflicted on
>me (I do hope that this doesn't prove to be a case of "famous last
>words"!).

(I suspect those may only be inflicted if you use certain "schemes" -
possibly only "Aero" ones.)

>> I think truly new innovation in computer hardware and software slowed
>>to a crawl, somewhere between 5 and 15 - maybe 20 - years ago. Most
>>new things (and a lot of not so new!) are available on line, in many
>>cases for free if you know where to look. This i3/4G/500G/7-32 does
>>all I want, and I can't foresee anything changing that.
>
>I would put the point where new innovations slowed to about ten years

OK. We agree, anyway, that new innovations are now minimal. (And most -
granted, not all - of them can be implemented on older systems by
third-party utilities, often free, often having appeared before the
"official" ones came out, not infrequently doing whatever is involved
more/better than the "official" one.)

>ago. That's when I got this computer, deliberately buying one which
>was a significantly higher spec (i7, 16GB) than I needed, on paper, in
>order to future-proof it to a degree, so that I wouldn't need to
>replace it too soon. I can't remember how old the computer I replaced
>was, at the time, but by then it was really struggling with the, not
>hugely taxing, things I wanted it to do.

Last time I "up"graded was from XP to 7 - I think for reasons much as
you, future-proofing. When I had to _replace_ (earlier this year -
January I think), I deliberately sought out a 7-32 machine, although
with a bigger screen (to get a bigger keyboard) [but that was something
I wanted that had nothing to do with OS "up"grades].

>I'm not unhappy though that this machine is too old to be able to take
>Win 11. I gather that modern chips have some kind of security gizmo
>which is required for Win 11 but which this machine doesn't have.

Something like "personal identity module", yes. When 11 first came out,
there were plenty of ways of circumventing that restriction - many from
hackers, I think at least one from Microsoft. Whether current 11 still
officially works without that, I don't know; at the time, the general
opinion was that a computer without it would have other shortcomings
that would make the 11 "experience" less enjoyable anyway. (Note that
some machines had the hardware but it just wasn't turned
on/enabled/whatever.)

<Squawk> Pieces of eight!
<Squawk> Pieces of eight!
<Squawk> Pieces of nine!
<SYSTEM HALTED: parroty error!>

Re: Microsoft Updates

<2$3KFn9F9hVlFwyd@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18786&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18786

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:55:17 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:55 UTC

In message <uj54gk$26it5$2@dont-email.me> at Thu, 16 Nov 2023 13:12:52,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>On 16/11/2023 11:22, krw wrote:

>>> Really ?
>>> What could be easier than highlight, Ctl-C, reposition cursor Ctl-V ?
>>> The right-click button has been the same for decades too afaicr.
>>>
>>> Ctl-A (select All the text you are looking at, and Ctl-P (guess) are
>>>your friends too....
>> The secret is Alt+V where you can find a few earlier Ctrl+C items as
>>well as the last one.
>

>In Win 10, I have Win-V allowing me to see, and use, the clip-board
>history, and to pin things there to use again over coming days or
>weeks. I think that, in Win 10, I had to tweak something in the
>settings to get this. IIRC, it was a previous thread in umra that told
>me about that option.

For those on 7 and earlier, there are plenty of third-party alternatives
that give access to multiple past clipboard entries - I'm currently
using the one from http://clipdiary.com/clipdiary-free/ (Ctrl-D
[reconfigurable to something else if you wish] brings up a list of
recent clipboard entries; double-clicking one of them enters it and
makes the list disappear [as does pressing Esc]). It - and most others -
does a lot more that I don't use.

so that the vendors can "serve you better". As if you were a tennis ball, I
guess. - Wolf K, in alt.windows7.general, 2014-7-21

Re: Microsoft Updates

<ouednUuTxNWm1Mr4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18824&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18824

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:06:36 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 11:06 UTC

On 16.11.23 13:12, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 16/11/2023 11:22, krw wrote:

>>> Really ?
>>> What could be easier than highlight, Ctl-C, reposition cursor Ctl-V ?
>>> The right-click button has been the same for decades too afaicr.
>>>
>>> Ctl-A (select All the text you are looking at, and Ctl-P (guess) are
>>> your friends too....
>>
>> The secret is Alt+V where you can find a few earlier Ctrl+C items as
>> well as the last one.
>

> In Win 10, I have Win-V allowing me to see, and use, the clip-board
> history, and to pin things there to use again over coming days or weeks.
>  I think that, in Win 10, I had to tweak something in the settings to
> get this.  IIRC, it was a previous thread in umra that told me about
> that option.

Yes correct - Win+V not Alt+V - it was in 10 but the windows snipping
has become much better in 11.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk