I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY ... BACKWARDS!!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird is driving me madJenny M Benson
+- Thunderbird is driving me madkrw
+* Thunderbird is driving me madKate B
|`- Thunderbird is driving me madJ. P. Gilliver
`* Thunderbird is driving me madkrw
 +- Thunderbird is driving me madJenny M Benson
 `* Thunderbird is driving me madJenny M Benson
  `* Thunderbird is driving me madkrw
   `* Thunderbird is driving me madSam Plusnet
    `* Thunderbird is driving me madkrw
     `- Thunderbird is driving me madPenny

1
Thunderbird is driving me mad

<kreg2eFqn00U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18685&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18685

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Thunderbird is driving me mad
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:36:45 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:36 UTC

Thanderbird has started popping up a little window that makes me select
whether to download all newsgroup headers, or selected ones (by date.)
It defaults to the latter, which is rarely my choice. Quite frequently
I need to make my choice more than once before action is taken. And to
further the annoyance, the little window often pops up on my second
monitor, which is switched off, so I don't know the window as popped up
again and I'm trying unsuccessfully to look at e-mails.

I've tried consulting help with all the obvious keywords but can't find
anything that addresses this behaviour. Can anyrat put me out of my misery?

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<8JadnfKMTqnHkM_4nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18686&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18686

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:49:44 +0000
Subject: Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 11:49 UTC

On 13.11.23 11:36, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Thanderbird has started popping up a little window that makes me select
> whether to download all newsgroup headers, or selected ones (by date.)
> It defaults to the latter, which is rarely my choice.  Quite frequently
> I need to make my choice more than once before action is taken.  And to
> further the annoyance, the little window often pops up on my second
> monitor, which is switched off, so I don't know the window as popped up
> again and I'm trying unsuccessfully to look at e-mails.
>
> I've tried consulting help with all the obvious keywords but can't find
> anything that addresses this behaviour.  Can anyrat put me out of my
> misery?

Probably not.

I am currently on release channel 102.15.1.

Thunderbird tells me that 115.4.1 is available on the development channel.

Which one are you on?

Do you think:
https://www.betterbird.eu/
might help?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<krem37Frl3gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18690&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18690

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:19:36 +0000
 by: Kate B - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 13:19 UTC

On 13/11/2023 11:36, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Thanderbird has started popping up a little window that makes me select
> whether to download all newsgroup headers, or selected ones (by date.)
> It defaults to the latter, which is rarely my choice.  Quite frequently
> I need to make my choice more than once before action is taken.  And to
> further the annoyance, the little window often pops up on my second
> monitor, which is switched off, so I don't know the window as popped up
> again and I'm trying unsuccessfully to look at e-mails.
>
> I've tried consulting help with all the obvious keywords but can't find
> anything that addresses this behaviour.  Can anyrat put me out of my
> misery?

It's not doing that for me. What version is yours? Mine is 115.4.2 (32
bit). What it does is show me everything read and unread (I have a
compulsory delete for posts over 30 days old) and I have to click a
button to show unread only. This is annoying - the old version would
remember I only wanted to see unread posts on opening. But your problem
is even more annoying!

There is a Mozilla TB discussion group here:
https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/discussions/bd-p/discussions

If you search on your problem you may find an answer...

They can be quite helpful - I complained bitterly about the missing
plug-in Manually Sort Folders (sic. Excuse grammar) and there is a giant
thread demanding it back, and a sort of promise to do it.

--
Kate B

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<7mpZjES4IjUlFw6o@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18695&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18695

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:27:04 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:27 UTC

In message <krem37Frl3gU1@mid.individual.net> at Mon, 13 Nov 2023
13:19:36, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
[]
>It's not doing that for me. What version is yours? Mine is 115.4.2 (32
>bit). What it does is show me everything read and unread (I have a
>compulsory delete for posts over 30 days old) and I have to click a

Wow, 30? I have the (Turnpike) default of 3 days (unless I mark keep),
and still have 82 posts in UMRA! (OK, including 5 "kept".) On my old
machine, left over from a few years ago when I was Gillivering enough to
irritate somerats, I'd reduced it to 1 day!

>button to show unread only. This is annoying - the old version would
>remember I only wanted to see unread posts on opening. But your problem

TP puts threads with unread posts at the top, and with bold text.
[]
Sorry, can't help with your TB query (other than to suggest you turn off
autoupdate - assuming you even _can_ these days! - but that won't help
with the current problem). The betterbird that another mentioned might
be worth a look.

I love listening to music that make my eyes water.
- "Super8rescue" 2022

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<jJOcnRLyVd_w08_4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18696&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18696

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:27:24 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:27 UTC

On 13.11.23 11:36, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Thanderbird has started popping up a little window that makes me select
> whether to download all newsgroup headers, or selected ones (by date.)
> It defaults to the latter, which is rarely my choice.  Quite frequently
> I need to make my choice more than once before action is taken.  And to
> further the annoyance, the little window often pops up on my second
> monitor, which is switched off, so I don't know the window as popped up
> again and I'm trying unsuccessfully to look at e-mails.
>
> I've tried consulting help with all the obvious keywords but can't find
> anything that addresses this behaviour.  Can anyrat put me out of my
> misery?

If I right click on news.plus.net (the name of the server that supplies
my umra posts) an Account Settings tab appears.

If I click on Server Settings immediately under the name of the server
in the left hand pane I am given some settings.

I have ticked a box which says "Ask me before downloading more than X
messages.

I have X set to 100 but it could easily be more.

On the next line I have not ticked "Always request authentication when
connecting to this server"

Under "Synchronisations & Storage" there are more settings which may
influence what you receive.

Does any of this help?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<krf1oeFsvh6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18697&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18697

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:38:36 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 13 Nov 2023 16:38 UTC

On 13/11/2023 16:27, krw wrote:
> If I right click on news.plus.net (the name of the server that supplies
> my umra posts) an Account Settings tab appears.
>
> If I click on Server Settings immediately under the name of the server
> in the left hand pane I am given some settings.
>
> I have ticked a box which says "Ask me before downloading more than X
> messages.
>
> I have X set to 100 but it could easily be more.
>
> On the next line I have not ticked "Always request authentication when
> connecting to this server"
>
> Under "Synchronisations & Storage" there are more settings which may
> influence what you receive.
>

> Does any of this help?

Thank you, K Richard, I think it might.

I found I had 0 in the box where you have 100. I'm sure I've never
changed that so perhaps some glitch has recently changed it for me.
Funny things is, sometimes it would download a message without asking me
first. Anyway, I have entered a big number and await results.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<krh63nFcb93U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18735&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18735

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:05:09 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:05 UTC

On 13/11/2023 16:27, krw wrote:

> I have ticked a box which says "Ask me before downloading more than X
> messages.

I must thank you again, K Richard. TB is behaving beautifully this
morning - well, with regards to news downloads, anyway!

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<iCWdnZ2_7IgJncn4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18738&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18738

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:19:47 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 23:19 UTC

On 14.11.23 12:05, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 13/11/2023 16:27, krw wrote:
>>
>> I have ticked a box which says "Ask me before downloading more than X
>> messages.
>
> I must thank you again, K Richard.  TB is behaving beautifully this
> morning - well, with regards to news downloads, anyway!

Thank you.

BTW has anyone seen my postings on the upsides of using Apple and
Microsoft products which I wrote before Plusnet decided I was unworthy
of receiving usenet services and when I raised a complaint did not know
of what I spoke?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<CkU4N.30845$_Oab.4255@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18746&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18746

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 00:32:33 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 00:32 UTC

On 14-Nov-23 23:19, krw wrote:
> On 14.11.23 12:05, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 13/11/2023 16:27, krw wrote:
>>>
>>> I have ticked a box which says "Ask me before downloading more than X
>>> messages.
>>
>> I must thank you again, K Richard.  TB is behaving beautifully this
>> morning - well, with regards to news downloads, anyway!
>>

> Thank you.
>
> BTW has anyone seen my postings on the upsides of using Apple and
> Microsoft products which I wrote before Plusnet decided I was unworthy
> of receiving usenet services and when I raised a complaint did not know
> of what I spoke?

Do you mean they didn't know what Usenet was? Or that Plusnet offers a
Usenet server and thus what you were complaining about?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<ojGdnXYR5M9TIMn4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18753&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18753

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:47:11 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:47 UTC

On 15.11.23 00:32, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 14-Nov-23 23:19, krw wrote:

>>> I must thank you again, K Richard.  TB is behaving beautifully this
>>> morning - well, with regards to news downloads, anyway!
>>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> BTW has anyone seen my postings on the upsides of using Apple and
>> Microsoft products which I wrote before Plusnet decided I was unworthy
>> of receiving usenet services and when I raised a complaint did not
>> know of what I spoke?
>>
> Do you mean they didn't know what Usenet was?  Or that Plusnet offers a
> Usenet server and thus what you were complaining about?

Both was implied by the phone call.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird is driving me mad

<v71elitn4pso7m5to19kib31b44bm4531t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18926&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18926

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 06:16:59 +0000
 by: Penny - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 06:16 UTC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:47:11 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...

>On 15.11.23 00:32, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> BTW has anyone seen my postings on the upsides of using Apple and
>>> Microsoft products which I wrote before Plusnet decided I was unworthy
>>> of receiving usenet services and when I raised a complaint did not
>>> know of what I spoke?
>>>
>> Do you mean they didn't know what Usenet was?  Or that Plusnet offers a
>> Usenet server and thus what you were complaining about?
>>

>Both was implied by the phone call.

IME that is normal for Plusnet.
I think my recent problems were generated by Giganews, from whom Plusnet
get their feed.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959