From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: "Autocorrect" UK postcode
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 07:55:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UPrdT8OT9fJ3wlXKQtzNaHvuwRk=
 by: Chris - Wed, 10 May 2023 07:55 UTC

I recently moved to a new phone and am not seeing the same behaviour as my
old one when typing my home postcode.

The old phone would suggest the second half of my postcode after having
typed the first half, but this no longer happens. Is there a trick to get
this working? I had hoped after a month or so it would have learned it?

For non-UK folk, postcodes look like this: W1A 1AA or EH1 2NG. The space is
obligatory so an autocorrect suggestion for the second half would be very
convenient.

Re: "Autocorrect" UK postcode

<u3fqd4$lbm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18960&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18960

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: "Autocorrect" UK postcode
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 11:07:32 +0100
 by: Mark - Wed, 10 May 2023 10:07 UTC

On 2023-05-10 07:55:57 +0000, Chris said:

> I recently moved to a new phone and am not seeing the same behaviour as my
> old one when typing my home postcode.
>
> The old phone would suggest the second half of my postcode after having
> typed the first half, but this no longer happens. Is there a trick to get
> this working? I had hoped after a month or so it would have learned it?
>
> For non-UK folk, postcodes look like this: W1A 1AA or EH1 2NG. The space is
> obligatory

Is it? I've always thopught so, but the last couple of years rarely
bother (online forms, maps search, etc). Seems to work just as well in
those situations.

> so an autocorrect suggestion for the second half would be very
> convenient.

Doesn't solve the issue, but you culd do a text replacement ('pc' ->
'LM6 4EW' sort of thing).

--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: "Autocorrect" UK postcode

<8%N6M.2991412$vBI8.332093@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18961&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18961

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: bitbucket@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 10:37:55 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 10 May 2023 14:37 UTC

On 2023-05-10 03:55, Chris wrote:

> I recently moved to a new phone and am not seeing the same behaviour as my
> old one when typing my home postcode.

In what app?

> The old phone would suggest the second half of my postcode after having
> typed the first half, but this no longer happens. Is there a trick to get
> this working? I had hoped after a month or so it would have learned it?

Maybe the new phone needs to see the full code a few times before it is
"trained" up on the code?

Or is it depending on the address to "get" the full code from the post
office (as it would here, Canada).

> For non-UK folk, postcodes look like this: W1A 1AA or EH1 2NG. The space is
> obligatory so an autocorrect suggestion for the second half would be very
> convenient.

Depending on the app, here, entering the first 3 letters (say H1M) will
locate that area on a map and continuing will "zoom in" on the actual
location. This works with Google Maps for example.

--
“Donald Trump and his allies and supporters are a clear and present
danger to American democracy.”

Re: "Autocorrect" UK postcode

<u3gm1o$omnv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18964&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18964

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 17:59:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:7pupgx9H8txvffy2ex+hiQLDhSo=
 by: Chris - Wed, 10 May 2023 17:59 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2023-05-10 03:55, Chris wrote:
>>

>> I recently moved to a new phone and am not seeing the same behaviour as my
>> old one when typing my home postcode.
>
> In what app?

Any really, but as it's mostly for online forms Firefox is the most common
use case.

>> The old phone would suggest the second half of my postcode after having
>> typed the first half, but this no longer happens. Is there a trick to get
>> this working? I had hoped after a month or so it would have learned it?
>
> Maybe the new phone needs to see the full code a few times before it is
> "trained" up on the code?

I've done it many times.

> Or is it depending on the address to "get" the full code from the post
> office (as it would here, Canada).
>
>> For non-UK folk, postcodes look like this: W1A 1AA or EH1 2NG. The space is
>> obligatory so an autocorrect suggestion for the second half would be very
>> convenient.
>
> Depending on the app, here, entering the first 3 letters (say H1M) will
> locate that area on a map and continuing will "zoom in" on the actual
> location. This works with Google Maps for example.

Ah yes, I'm not meaning any geographic app. All text based.

Re: "Autocorrect" UK postcode

<u3gm5i$onr6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18966&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18966

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 18:01:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qRdA3+TZnmtYL4aVGoZIYL+8nqI=
 by: Chris - Wed, 10 May 2023 18:01 UTC

Mark <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2023-05-10 07:55:57 +0000, Chris said:
>
>> I recently moved to a new phone and am not seeing the same behaviour as my
>> old one when typing my home postcode.
>>
>> The old phone would suggest the second half of my postcode after having
>> typed the first half, but this no longer happens. Is there a trick to get
>> this working? I had hoped after a month or so it would have learned it?
>>
>> For non-UK folk, postcodes look like this: W1A 1AA or EH1 2NG. The space is
>> obligatory
>
> Is it? I've always thopught so, but the last couple of years rarely
> bother (online forms, maps search, etc). Seems to work just as well in
> those situations.

Several forms baulk without the space IME.

>> so an autocorrect suggestion for the second half would be very
>> convenient.
>
> Doesn't solve the issue, but you culd do a text replacement ('pc' ->
> 'LM6 4EW' sort of thing).

That's a possibility.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / "Autocorrect" UK postcode