Things are not always what they seem. -- Phaedrus

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / For the whisky lovers

SubjectAuthor
* For the whisky loversChamp
+- For the whisky loversRustyHinge
+- For the whisky loversEddie
+* For the whisky loverswessie
|`* For the whisky loversRustyHinge
| `* For the whisky loverswessie
|  `- For the whisky loversRustyHinge
+- For the whisky loversPete Fisher
+* For the whisky loversCT
|`- For the whisky loversRustyHinge
`- For the whisky loversYTC#1

1
For the whisky lovers

<ke50kil46uf3md5iaoef0t7c8sb97thm5a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19027&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19027

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: For the whisky lovers
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:48:55 +0000
 by: Champ - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:48 UTC

I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!

Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....

....wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
myself from saying 'scotch').

Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/

And, obviously, I bought some!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhp53m$kdqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19028&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19028

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: For the whisky lovers
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:53:10 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:53 UTC

On 30/10/2023 20:48, Champ wrote:
> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>
> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>
> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
> myself from saying 'scotch').
>
> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>
> And, obviously, I bought some!

Indeed: Penderyn is amongst my favourite whiskies.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: For the whisky lovers

<kqakk4FjqouU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19031&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19031

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:13:39 +0000
 by: Eddie - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:13 UTC

On 30/10/2023 20:48, Champ wrote:
> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>
> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>
> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
> myself from saying 'scotch').
>
> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/

Been there, done that. February, last year.

We thought their policy of offering miniatures to people who couldn't
drink the offered samples was very sensible. (We didn't take them up on
it, I just helped Mrs E finish hers to make sure she was still fit to
drive.)

> And, obviously, I bought some!

So did we. Bottle of their regular stuff, and a bottle of "Royal Welsh
Whisky", IIRC. Long since drunk, of course.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: For the whisky lovers

<XnsB0ADD8DC7F88Bwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19032&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19032

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:19:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 21:19 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:ke50kil46uf3md5iaoef0t7c8sb97thm5a@
4ax.com:

> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>
> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>
> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
> myself from saying 'scotch').
>
> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>
> And, obviously, I bought some!

Conwy?

I thought they were from the Brecon Beacons.

Oh, seems it must be popular as they they have expanded to open two more
distilleries in Llandudno & Swansea.

It is quite nice. My brother had a bottle for his 70th birthday which I
shared. Still prefer an Islay malt ...

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhp9ub$la3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19038&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19038

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:15:37 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:15 UTC

On 30/10/2023 21:19, wessie wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:ke50kil46uf3md5iaoef0t7c8sb97thm5a@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
>> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>>
>> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
>> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>>
>> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
>> myself from saying 'scotch').
>>
>> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>>
>> And, obviously, I bought some!
>
> Conwy?
>
> I thought they were from the Brecon Beacons.
>
> Oh, seems it must be popular as they they have expanded to open two more
> distilleries in Llandudno & Swansea.
>
> It is quite nice. My brother had a bottle for his 70th birthday which I
> shared. Still prefer an Islay malt ...
And there are Islay malts and Islay malts. I bought one I'd never heard
of and have forgotten since, and though it was concocted fairly close to
Port Ellen it was no better (IMO) than a cheap blended. This was before
my taste was ruined by long covid.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: For the whisky lovers

<XnsB0ADE9C30C199wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19044&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19044

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:58:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:58 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in

> On 30/10/2023 21:19, wessie wrote:
>> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in
>> news:ke50kil46uf3md5iaoef0t7c8sb97thm5a@ 4ax.com:
>>
>>> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of
>>> the local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>>>
>>> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
>>> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>>>
>>> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
>>> myself from saying 'scotch').
>>>
>>> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>>>
>>> And, obviously, I bought some!
>>
>> Conwy?
>>
>> I thought they were from the Brecon Beacons.
>>
>> Oh, seems it must be popular as they they have expanded to open two
>> more distilleries in Llandudno & Swansea.
>>
>> It is quite nice. My brother had a bottle for his 70th birthday which
>> I shared. Still prefer an Islay malt ...
> And there are Islay malts and Islay malts. I bought one I'd never
> heard of and have forgotten since, and though it was concocted fairly
> close to Port Ellen it was no better (IMO) than a cheap blended. This
> was before my taste was ruined by long covid.

I favour Caol Ila whiskies, not those from the Deep South

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhpen9$m6hh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19045&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19045

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 23:37:11 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 23:37 UTC

On 30/10/2023 22:58, wessie wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 30/10/2023 21:19, wessie wrote:
>>> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in
>>> news:ke50kil46uf3md5iaoef0t7c8sb97thm5a@ 4ax.com:

>>> Conwy?
>>>
>>> I thought they were from the Brecon Beacons.
>>>
>>> Oh, seems it must be popular as they they have expanded to open two
>>> more distilleries in Llandudno & Swansea.
>>>
>>> It is quite nice. My brother had a bottle for his 70th birthday which
>>> I shared. Still prefer an Islay malt ...
>> And there are Islay malts and Islay malts. I bought one I'd never
>> heard of and have forgotten since, and though it was concocted fairly
>> close to Port Ellen it was no better (IMO) than a cheap blended. This
>> was before my taste was ruined by long covid.
>>

> I favour Caol Ila whiskies, not those from the Deep South

Yearsandyearsago I took my little ex-Post Office Morris Minor van to a
friend's antique shop to get some stone bottles. Then, I paid about
thirty shillings for each one (IIRC).

A FO Huge shooting brake pulled in beside me and the driver gathered an
armful of stone bottles: I suggested he left them in his brake and
haggled a price with Jim and I would then do the same, and we could
transfer them from his brake to my van.

This we did, and after I'd paid Jim we started transferring them. Some
of them were full, and I wasn't too pleased as something like a
hearseful of filled bottles would be a bit much for the Moggie, but we
continued.

The back was filled and the passenger side of the cab too, and the poor
vehicle was right down on its rubbers.I drove home through the
back-lanes so as not to attract Old Bill's attention.

Apparently, the bottles came from the cellar of a onetime off-licence,
which made me slightly hopeful. Some had been sampled (not tasted) but
was a mixture of curdled black bits and clearish grey water. and it
smelt foul as I tipped it down my sink.

But, all was not 'orrid: I got a two-gallon bottle of just drinkable red
wine and three two gallon bottles of OK red wine vinegar.

there were three half-gallon pigs which had been sealed with (what else)
sealing wax.

The first smelt very promising and tasted better. I guessed it was an
Island malt whisky at cask strength. The second was the same.

In great hope I opened the third. Slightly disappointed I found this was
a rather basic marc, but a half gallon of it in the pig for thirty bob -
who could complain. And I had a gallon of cask strength malt whisky for
three quid.

Years later I had a glass of Caol Ila and recognise what had been in
those pigs.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: For the whisky lovers

<kqbo6uFp9f4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19050&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19050

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 07:21:00 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 07:21 UTC

On 30/10/2023 20:48, Champ wrote:
> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>
> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>
> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
> myself from saying 'scotch').
>
> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>
> And, obviously, I bought some!

Thought you would be a Glen Kella tippler.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhqqka$11flr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19067&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19067

From: me@christrollen.co.uk (CT)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:06:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: CT - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 12:06 UTC

Champ wrote:

> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>
> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>
> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
> myself from saying 'scotch').
>
> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>
> And, obviously, I bought some!

Hmmm...I had some Penderyn whisky several years ago and thought it was
horrible!

But it's a broad church, is whisky.

--
Chris

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhqur2$12377$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19074&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19074

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:18:26 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:18 UTC

On 30/10/2023 20:48, Champ wrote:
> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!

<checks>
Oh. Llandudno
</c>

There is also the Aber(something) falls one, down the road?

You been the Brewery? https://www.conwybrewery.co.uk/

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: For the whisky lovers

<uhr20b$12m6d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19078&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19078

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:12:25 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 14:12 UTC

On 31/10/2023 12:06, CT wrote:
> Champ wrote:
>
>> I was in Conwy this weekend, and our hosts treated us to a tour of the
>> local whisky distiller. Yes, Welsh whisky!
>>
>> Anyway, the tour was brilliantly delivered by a passionate and very
>> knowledgeable chap, and then we did some tasting and....
>>
>> ...wow. That is some really great whisky (I have to keep stopping
>> myself from saying 'scotch').
>>
>> Anyway - here's their website: https://www.penderyn.wales/
>>
>> And, obviously, I bought some!
>
> Hmmm...I had some Penderyn whisky several years ago and thought it was
> horrible!
>
> But it's a broad church, is whisky.

Indeed: to me Glen Dronach tastes to me like the smell of stale urinals,
yet a) it still sells and b) it is highly thought-of (in some quarters).

--
Rusty Hinge