Lawful Dungeon Master -- and they're MY laws!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / It's that old inkjet question again

SubjectAuthor
* It's that old inkjet question againTimH
+* It's that old inkjet question againGraham J
|`* It's that old inkjet question againTimH
| +* It's that old inkjet question againJaimie Vandenbergh
| |`- It's that old inkjet question againTimH
| `- It's that old inkjet question againGraeme Wall
+* It's that old inkjet question againTheo
|`- It's that old inkjet question againTimH
+- It's that old inkjet question againGraeme Wall
+* It's that old inkjet question againChris
|`- It's that old inkjet question againRJH
+- It's that old inkjet question againJ. J. Lodder
`* It's that old inkjet question againjbrennand
 `- It's that old inkjet question againTimH

1
It's that old inkjet question again

<ks8tvvF55e5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19044&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19044

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: It's that old inkjet question again
Date: 23 Nov 2023 12:13:51 GMT
 by: TimH - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:13 UTC

Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).

I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
cartridges…

And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

TIA
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujngnf$1r660$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19045&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19045

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: It's that old inkjet question again
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:31:18 +0000
 by: Graham J - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 12:31 UTC

TimH wrote:
> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>
> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
> cartridges…
>
> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

Take a memory stick with the photos to Tesco and get them to do the
printing.

--
Graham J

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ks9246F6fjnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19046&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19046

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Nov 2023 13:24:22 GMT
 by: TimH - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 13:24 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 at 12:31:18 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> TimH wrote:
>> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
>> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
>> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
>> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>>
>> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
>> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
>> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
>> cartridges…
>>
>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>
> Take a memory stick with the photos to Tesco and get them to do the
> printing.

I didn't mention photos; this would be mainly used for documents she wants for
reference, application forms etc.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<QUj*1V9vz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19047&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19047

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Nov 2023 15:29:26 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:29 UTC

TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

How small is small?
https://www.printerbase.co.uk/news/hp-worlds-smallest-laser-printers/

They're roughly bread-bin sized - many inkjets are bigger.

Although I wouldn't touch HP these days, I'd go with a Brother, something
like:
https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/laser-printers/hl-l2370dn
356 (W) x 360 (D) x 183 (H) mm

Theo

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ks9arfF8karU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19049&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19049

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Nov 2023 15:53:19 GMT
 by: TimH - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:53 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 at 15:29:26 GMT, "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>
> How small is small?
> https://www.printerbase.co.uk/news/hp-worlds-smallest-laser-printers/
>
> They're roughly bread-bin sized - many inkjets are bigger.
>
> Although I wouldn't touch HP these days, I'd go with a Brother, something
> like:
> https://www.brother.co.uk/printers/laser-printers/hl-l2370dn
> 356 (W) x 360 (D) x 183 (H) mm

Yes, that Brother looks like an updated version of what we have - good
printers but too big for her, unfortunately.
And I think I agree with you about HP. (Had a long and happy relationship with
a Laserjet 5M, mind you.)
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ks9bkiF8q23U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19050&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19050

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Nov 2023 16:06:42 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:06 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 at 13:24:22 GMT, "TimH" <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid>
wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2023 at 12:31:18 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> TimH wrote:
>>> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
>>> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
>>> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
>>> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>>>
>>> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
>>> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
>>> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
>>> cartridges…
>>>
>>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>>
>> Take a memory stick with the photos to Tesco and get them to do the
>> printing.
>
> I didn't mention photos; this would be mainly used for documents she wants for
> reference, application forms etc.

Oh, tiny laser 100% then if there's no need for colour.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Homeopaths suffer from dilutions of grandeur

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujnto3$1t41p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19053&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19053

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:13:55 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:13 UTC

On 23/11/2023 12:13, TimH wrote:
> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>
> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
> cartridges…
>
> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

I've small Samsung M2026 no bigger than an ink-jet, but it is
monochrome. IIRC there is a colour version that's not much bigger.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujntto$1t41p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19055&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19055

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:16:56 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:16 UTC

On 23/11/2023 13:24, TimH wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2023 at 12:31:18 GMT, "Graham J" <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> TimH wrote:
>>> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
>>> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
>>> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
>>> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>>>
>>> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
>>> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
>>> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
>>> cartridges…
>>>
>>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>>
>> Take a memory stick with the photos to Tesco and get them to do the
>> printing.
>
> I didn't mention photos; this would be mainly used for documents she wants for
> reference, application forms etc.

That's all I use mine for.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ks9d12F960jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19056&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19056

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 23 Nov 2023 16:30:26 GMT
 by: TimH - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 at 16:06:42 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 23 Nov 2023 at 13:24:22 GMT, "TimH" <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> Take a memory stick with the photos to Tesco and get them to do the
>>> printing.
>>
>> I didn't mention photos; this would be mainly used for documents she wants for
>> reference, application forms etc.
>
> Oh, tiny laser 100% then if there's no need for colour.

Actually I should have specified colour - she'll probably be printing out the
odd map / tourist guide, which can be hard to decipher in monochrome...
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujo4lv$1ua6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19057&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19057

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:12:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Nvuc03BP5ADIy0kuchMnBk/mD5Q=
 by: Chris - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 18:12 UTC

TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>
> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
> cartridges…
>
> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

Honestly, never had problems with HP neither has the wider family. Just go
for the size and price that suits your MIL.

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<1qknzsl.1attdudzqpbpwN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19058&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19058

From: nospam@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 20:40:58 +0100
 by: J. J. Lodder - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 19:40 UTC

TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:

> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what's a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
> MiL, who's definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
> don't think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
> tiers involve a monthly payment, don't they?).
>
> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there's the
> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
> cartridges…
>
> And before anyone says it: she won't want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!

Inkjets just are not suitable for very low usage,

Jan

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujojrh$20jav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19061&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19061

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 22:31:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 23 Nov 2023 22:31 UTC

On 23 Nov 2023 at 18:12:15 GMT, Chris wrote:

> TimH <thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid> wrote:
>> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
>> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
>> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
>> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>>
>> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
>> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
>> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
>> cartridges…
>>
>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>
> Honestly, never had problems with HP neither has the wider family. Just go
> for the size and price that suits your MIL.

Mine (CP1025NW) has returned to nag screens after a brief hiatus. Annoying,
but not enough to brick it.
--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<ujqfi7$2ca1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19062&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19062

From: brennand@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:30:15 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 15:30 UTC

On 23/11/2023 12:13, TimH wrote:
> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>
> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
> cartridges…
>
> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>
> TIA

I have had 2 Brother inkjets over the years and the one I use now...
DCP-J152W I got a few years ago and its been the best printe I have ever
used (for my limited purposes). I have had an older Canon and HP one as
well and hated them.. for various usual reasons.

Brother 3d party inks are incredibly cheap on the Bay and all work fine
in reporting ink levels etc on their software on my Macs. Also, never
(and I mean never !)have I had a single blockage that has needed
cleaning despite some long periods of inactivity - week or two - it just
fires up and prints perfectly.

I would say its not great for photos... but I never do them anyway - but
it is just fine for coloured maps, documents, etc.

I will keep this one until one of us meets our maker :-)

JohnB

Re: It's that old inkjet question again

<kscc7rF45asU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19065&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19065

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 24 Nov 2023 19:35:23 GMT
 by: TimH - Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:35 UTC

On 24 Nov 2023 at 15:30:15 GMT, "jbrennand" <brennand@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 23/11/2023 12:13, TimH wrote:
>> Sorry, not very inspiring, but: what’s a reasonable cheap inkjet? Asking for
>> MiL, who’s definitely not tech-minded, and whose usage will be very low. So I
>> don’t think the ink subscription services will be appropriate (even the lowest
>> tiers involve a monthly payment, don’t they?).
>>
>> I think last time this came up, the consensus was that current inkjets tend
>> not to block as easily as they once did - is that right? But then there’s the
>> whole question of ink costs, and models that prevent use of third-party
>> cartridges…
>>
>> And before anyone says it: she won’t want a laser, however much sense it may
>> make, unless you know of a _really_ small one!
>>
>> TIA
>
> I have had 2 Brother inkjets over the years and the one I use now...
> DCP-J152W I got a few years ago and its been the best printe I have ever
> used (for my limited purposes). I have had an older Canon and HP one as
> well and hated them.. for various usual reasons.
>
> Brother 3d party inks are incredibly cheap on the Bay and all work fine
> in reporting ink levels etc on their software on my Macs. Also, never
> (and I mean never !)have I had a single blockage that has needed
> cleaning despite some long periods of inactivity - week or two - it just
> fires up and prints perfectly.
>
> I would say its not great for photos... but I never do them anyway - but
> it is just fine for coloured maps, documents, etc.
>
> I will keep this one until one of us meets our maker :-)

Thanks John. Well, my experience with a Brother laser has been all good so
far, so it's tempting.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email