Have a nice diurnal anomaly.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

SubjectAuthor
* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing toCommander Kinsey
`* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Snit
 `* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Ken Blake
  `* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Snit
   +* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Ken Blake
   |+- Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Snit
   |`- Can a program upload data to the internet without writing toCommander Kinsey
   `* Can a program upload data to the internet without writing toCommander Kinsey
    `- Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?Snit

1
Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<op.11pu171umvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19140&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19140

Subject: Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to
disk?
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.os.windows-11,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:19:09 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:19 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:22:37 -0000, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:08:18 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/2023 7:39 PM, Char Jackson wrote:

>>> For most of the first year that I had only a Commodore64, RAM was the
>>> only type of storage that I had available. I finally added a Datassette
>>> (cassette tape storage), but before that I just kept the C64 powered on
>>> so that I wouldn't lose my programs. So for me, and from an early age,
>>> RAM is definitely a type of storage, even more so once RAM drives came
>>> along.
>>>

>> The ZX81 was like that. Cassette recorder, some sorta FSK audio.
>> It would take ten or fifteen minutes to load chess.
>> I had 16KB of RAM (just so I could use chess).
>

> I never had a ZX81, nor any other kind of PC before the early days of
> the IBM XT, but I did play chess on several different computers my
> friends had. In my experience, those programs were always terrible,
> and I could beat them easily.
>
> These days, it's the other way around, of course. There are several
> programs that are much better than I ever was; I have a couple--Fritz
> and Rybka. There are even a few that can beat almost anyone.

I thought there are now programs which can beat the grandmaster?

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<b9tPL.1886362$GNG9.1118599@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19141&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19141

From: brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22:47 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22 UTC

On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:19:09 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.11pu171umvhs6z@ryzen.home>:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:22:37 -0000, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 01:08:18 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> The ZX81 was like that. Cassette recorder, some sorta FSK audio.
>>> It would take ten or fifteen minutes to load chess.
>>> I had 16KB of RAM (just so I could use chess).
>>

>> I never had a ZX81, nor any other kind of PC before the early days of
>> the IBM XT, but I did play chess on several different computers my
>> friends had. In my experience, those programs were always terrible,
>> and I could beat them easily.
>>
>> These days, it's the other way around, of course. There are several
>> programs that are much better than I ever was; I have a couple--Fritz
>> and Rybka. There are even a few that can beat almost anyone.
>
> I thought there are now programs which can beat the grandmaster?

Yup. Not sure if they do it 100% of the time, but they are damned good.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<jlos0i5c97uj7gv7nilem6k7m13m44imn9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19142&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19142

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:42:03 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:42 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22:47 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:19:09 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
><op.11pu171umvhs6z@ryzen.home>:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 16:22:37 -0000, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> I never had a ZX81, nor any other kind of PC before the early days of
>>> the IBM XT, but I did play chess on several different computers my
>>> friends had. In my experience, those programs were always terrible,
>>> and I could beat them easily.
>>>
>>> These days, it's the other way around, of course. There are several
>>> programs that are much better than I ever was; I have a couple--Fritz
>>> and Rybka. There are even a few that can beat almost anyone.
>>
>> I thought there are now programs which can beat the grandmaster?
>
>Yup. Not sure if they do it 100% of the time, but they are damned good.

Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<LwtPL.185790$b7Kc.17574@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19143&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19143

From: brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:47:55 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:47 UTC

On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:42:03 PM MST, "Ken Blake" wrote
<jlos0i5c97uj7gv7nilem6k7m13m44imn9@4ax.com>:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22:47 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:19:09 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.11pu171umvhs6z@ryzen.home>:

>>> I thought there are now programs which can beat the grandmaster?
>>
>> Yup. Not sure if they do it 100% of the time, but they are damned good.
>

> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.

Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
it was good.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<7rlu0itnv7cp0hhv5vdoaadritn6ocg3dk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19154&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19154

From: Ken@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 10:04:34 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:04 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:47:55 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:42:03 PM MST, "Ken Blake" wrote
><jlos0i5c97uj7gv7nilem6k7m13m44imn9@4ax.com>:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22:47 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yup. Not sure if they do it 100% of the time, but they are damned good.
>>

>> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.
>
>Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
>it was good.

I think only some of the time. Apparently Alpha Zero is better.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<FLIPL.1514325$iU59.824766@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19155&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19155

From: brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:07:49 GMT
 by: Snit - Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:07 UTC

On Mar 13, 2023 at 10:04:34 AM MST, "Ken Blake" wrote

>>> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.
>>
>> Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
>> it was good.
>
> I think only some of the time. Apparently Alpha Zero is better.

My understanding is Alpha Zero is better... but we can also talk about my
understanding of the details of quantum physics and I would be just as
knowledgeable. :)

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<op.112pjeynmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19199&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19199

disk?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:48:40 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:48 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:47:55 -0000, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:42:03 PM MST, "Ken Blake" wrote
> <jlos0i5c97uj7gv7nilem6k7m13m44imn9@4ax.com>:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:22:47 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yup. Not sure if they do it 100% of the time, but they are damned good.
>>

>> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.
>
> Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
> it was good.

It's on my phone! It failed to beat my dad's antique computer. Although my phone has a faster processor (stockfish will use all 8 cores, he only has 2), the shitty Samsung only has 2GB of RAM, he had 8. I didn't bother playing it against the new i5 computer I gave him with 64GB RAM.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<op.112pnwcamvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19200&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19200

disk?
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:51:22 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:51 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:04:34 -0000, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 23:47:55 GMT, Snit <brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 12, 2023 at 4:42:03 PM MST, "Ken Blake" wrote
>> <jlos0i5c97uj7gv7nilem6k7m13m44imn9@4ax.com>:

>>> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.
>>
>> Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
>> it was good.
>

> I think only some of the time. Apparently Alpha Zero is better.

I thought only one could beat stockfish, and it's GPU based engine. Can't find it now.

Re: Can a program upload data to the internet without writing to disk?

<DCLRL.1463825$iS99.1257753@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19201&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#19201

From: brock.mcnuggets@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-11,alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 22:01:07 GMT
 by: Snit - Sun, 19 Mar 2023 22:01 UTC

On Mar 19, 2023 at 2:48:40 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote

>>> Yes, Alpha Zero and Stockfish.
>>
>> Is Stockfish one of the ones that beats the best? I did not know that. I knew
>> it was good.
>
> It's on my phone! It failed to beat my dad's antique computer. Although my
> phone has a faster processor (stockfish will use all 8 cores, he only has 2),
> the shitty Samsung only has 2GB of RAM, he had 8. I didn't bother playing it
> against the new i5 computer I gave him with 64GB RAM.

Makes sense it needs lots of resources to be anywhere near its best.