Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

SubjectAuthor
* SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningbob prohaska
+* SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningMark Olson
|`- SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningbob prohaska
`* SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningRustyHinge
 `* SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningbob prohaska
  `* SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningRustyHinge
   `- SV650 idle mix adjustment while runningBruce Horrocks

1
SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui63v6$3gd3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19209&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19209

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:53:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 18:53 UTC

[I posted something along this line on rec.motorcycles.tech long ago and
thought it might be worthile to ask again here

Has anybody figured out how to get at the idle mix screws on a
carbureted sv650 while the bike is running?

Best I could come up with is a pair of hoses fastened to the idle
screw spigots and a flexible screwdriver. Getting the hoses to stay
on the spigots defeated me shortly after the bike went back together
and I gave up for the moment.

Here's hoping somebody has a better idea.....

bob prohaska

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui65kp$3gubh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19213&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19213

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:22:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:22 UTC

bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> [I posted something along this line on rec.motorcycles.tech long ago and
> thought it might be worthile to ask again here
>
> Has anybody figured out how to get at the idle mix screws on a
> carbureted sv650 while the bike is running?
>
> Best I could come up with is a pair of hoses fastened to the idle
> screw spigots and a flexible screwdriver. Getting the hoses to stay
> on the spigots defeated me shortly after the bike went back together
> and I gave up for the moment.
>
> Here's hoping somebody has a better idea.....

Ford, supposedly...

It's been a good long time since I sold my SV650. I don't remember
ever having to adjust the mixture screws. I have a collection of
flexible shaft and right angle screwdrivers for this purpose used
on various bikes over the years. Your solution sounds reasonable,
I suppose I might try using heat shrink over the end of the hose to
apply a bit more squeeze so they don't fall off.

Do you have an exhaust sniffer to give you an idea of rich/lean or
is it just the old seat of the pants method?

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui67jk$3hhgg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19216&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19216

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:55:31 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 19:55 UTC

On 04/11/2023 18:53, bob prohaska wrote:

> [I posted something along this line on rec.motorcycles.tech long ago and
> thought it might be worthile to ask again here
>
> Has anybody figured out how to get at the idle mix screws on a
> carbureted sv650 while the bike is running?
>
> Best I could come up with is a pair of hoses fastened to the idle
> screw spigots and a flexible screwdriver. Getting the hoses to stay
> on the spigots defeated me shortly after the bike went back together
> and I gave up for the moment.
>
> Here's hoping somebody has a better idea.....
>
> bob prohaska

Find someone who has worked on English Electric Lightnings' engines.
(There's a special cranked spanner used just to screw/unscrew one nut
between the two:) it has (to be moved a fraction, disconnected, turned
over (or round), another fraction (I'm told), less than a flat at a
time. There's bound to be something in their toolkit that will do your
job or suggest something which will

What might make things easier is a gadget I bought for one job
(expecting it to cumminandhi for other things) is a tiny CCTV camera and
light on a flexible wound metal tube, at least allowing you to see what
you're doing. Didn't cost an arm and a leg either: the expensive bit is
the laptop to (USB) connect to.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui8bta$1nqt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19235&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19235

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:21:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:21 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
> bob prohaska <bp@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>> [I posted something along this line on rec.motorcycles.tech long ago and
>> thought it might be worthile to ask again here
>>
>> Has anybody figured out how to get at the idle mix screws on a
>> carbureted sv650 while the bike is running?
>>
>> Best I could come up with is a pair of hoses fastened to the idle
>> screw spigots and a flexible screwdriver. Getting the hoses to stay
>> on the spigots defeated me shortly after the bike went back together
>> and I gave up for the moment.
>>
>> Here's hoping somebody has a better idea.....
>
> Ford, supposedly...

8-) [took me a while...]

> It's been a good long time since I sold my SV650. I don't remember
> ever having to adjust the mixture screws.

Mine ran perfectly for a a number of years and maybe 20k miles, but
eventually it developed an off-idle stumble and I had to clean the
carbs. I noted and restored the idle screw settings, but the bike
has never run quite so well since as it did when I got it.

> I have a collection of
> flexible shaft and right angle screwdrivers for this purpose used
> on various bikes over the years. Your solution sounds reasonable,
> I suppose I might try using heat shrink over the end of the hose to
> apply a bit more squeeze so they don't fall off.

The hardest problem is finding a path to the idle screws and turning
them with the bike together and running. The idea of a guide tube
leading from somewhere accessible to the very-well-hidden idle scres
spigots is cumbersome. I was hoping somebody had discovered a better
technique that doesn't start with disassembling the bike.

> Do you have an exhaust sniffer to give you an idea of rich/lean or
> is it just the old seat of the pants method?

Well, "seat of the tach" 8-) and ear.

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui8c33$1nqt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19236&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19236

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:24:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 15:24 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> What might make things easier is a gadget I bought for one job
> (expecting it to cumminandhi for other things) is a tiny CCTV camera and
> light on a flexible wound metal tube, at least allowing you to see what
> you're doing. Didn't cost an arm and a leg either: the expensive bit is
> the laptop to (USB) connect to.
That sounds interesting. Can you post a link?

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<ui8k5j$33pq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19244&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19244

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 17:42:09 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 17:42 UTC

On 05/11/2023 15:24, bob prohaska wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> What might make things easier is a gadget I bought for one job
>> (expecting it to cumminandhi for other things) is a tiny CCTV camera and
>> light on a flexible wound metal tube, at least allowing you to see what
>> you're doing. Didn't cost an arm and a leg either: the expensive bit is
>> the laptop to (USB) connect to.
>
> That sounds interesting. Can you post a link?
>
> Thanks for writing!
>
> bob prohaska

I'll get one of the carers to dig it out and with any luck a) they'll
find its case, b) there'll be some bumff inside, c) the firm that made
it will still be in business (after the 10-ish years since I bought it.

Carer due any minute...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: SV650 idle mix adjustment while running

<337c0290-2b7e-45f3-a81b-4626400e4ceb@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19285&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#19285

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:35:23 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Mon, 6 Nov 2023 22:35 UTC

On 05/11/2023 17:42, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 05/11/2023 15:24, bob prohaska wrote:
>> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> What might make things easier is a gadget I bought for one job
>>> (expecting it to cumminandhi for other things) is a tiny CCTV camera and
>>> light on a flexible wound metal tube, at least allowing you to see what
>>> you're doing. Didn't cost an arm and a leg either: the expensive bit is
>>> the laptop to (USB) connect to.
>> That sounds interesting. Can you post a link?
>>
>> Thanks for writing!
>>
>> bob prohaska
>>
> I'll get one of the carers to dig it out and with any luck a) they'll
> find its case, b) there'll be some bumff inside, c) the firm that made
> it will still be in business (after the 10-ish years since I bought it.
>
> Carer due any minute...

Don't bother - just Google "usb inspection camera"

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS