If swimming is so good for your figure, how come whales look the way they do?

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT from gransnet

SubjectAuthor
* OT from gransnetVicky
+* OT from gransnetJohn Ashby
|`- OT from gransnetRosie Mitchell
+* OT from gransnetJohn Ashby
|+* OT from gransnetJ. P. Gilliver
||+* OT from gransnetkrw
|||+* OT from gransnetJohn Ashby
|||`* OT from gransnetNick Odell
||| `- OT from gransnetMike McMillan
||`- OT from gransnetMike McMillan
|`* OT from gransnetJohn Ashby
| `* OT from gransnetSam Plusnet
|  `- OT from gransnetNick Odell
`* OT from gransnetPenny
 `* OT from gransnetJ. P. Gilliver
  `- OT from gransnetPenny

1
OT from gransnet

<amqcmi9pk8smbbc1qfc339c7v0a6qnprpr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19233&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19233

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT from gransnet
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:39:47 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:39 UTC

To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3

We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
A film A Brother For Susan

And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
behavior though either time.

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk70e1$oi1b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19239&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19239

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT from gransnet
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:31:45 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:31 UTC

On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>
> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>
> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
> A film A Brother For Susan
>
> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
> behavior though either time.

I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and 1974)
other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form biologists (of
which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on the classrooom
door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the Whip Woman."

Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
concern about frightening the horses.

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19240&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19240

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35 UTC

On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>
> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>
> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
> A film A Brother For Susan
>
> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
> behavior though either time.

I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and 1974)
other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form biologists (of
which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on the classrooom
door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the Whip Woman."

Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
concern about frightening the horses.

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<I+Rq4KlrBxZlFwUE@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19242&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19242

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:20:27 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:20 UTC

In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
>> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>> A film A Brother For Susan
>> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
>> behavior though either time.
>
>I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form biologists
>(of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on the
>classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the Whip
>Woman."
[]
I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school, and
I don't think at secondary either.

I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what the
prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life. (Ladies/girls
should learn too even though they don't have one - in the same way boys
should learn about menstruation.)

Veni Vidi Visa [I came, I saw, I did a little shopping] - Mik from S+AS Limited
(mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk73j7$palv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19243&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19243

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:25:43 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:25 UTC

On 29/11/2023 09:35, John Ashby wrote:
> On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
>> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>>
>> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>>
>> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>> A film  A Brother For Susan
>>
>> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
>> behavior though either time.
>
> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and 1974)
> other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form biologists (of
> which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on the classrooom
> door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the Whip Woman."
>
> Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
> concern about frightening the horses.
>
> john

Apologies for the double post, the composition window didn't close
suggesting thpost had not been sent.

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<U6CcnbyG_MPtifr4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19244&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19244

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:37:38 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:37 UTC

On 29.11.23 10:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>> On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
>>> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>>>  https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>>>  We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>>> A film  A Brother For Susan
>>>  And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
>>> behavior though either time.
>>
>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form
>> biologists (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on
>> the classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the
>> Whip Woman."
> []
> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school, and
> I don't think at secondary either.
>
> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what the
> prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life. (Ladies/girls
> should learn too even though they don't have one - in the same way boys
> should learn about menstruation.)

Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a very
long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren that there
is extensive coverage of these matters.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk75q0$pjjm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19245&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19245

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:03:28 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:03 UTC

On 29/11/2023 10:37, krw wrote:
> On 29.11.23 10:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
>> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>>>
>>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form
>>> biologists (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on
>>> the classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the
>>> Whip Woman."
>> []
>> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school,
>> and I don't think at secondary either.
>>
>> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
>> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what
>> the prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life.
>> (Ladies/girls should learn too even though they don't have one - in
>> the same way boys should learn about menstruation.)
>
> Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a very
> long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren that there
> is extensive coverage of these matters.

Yes, and very good teaching of the nature and importance of consent.

Cup of tea, anyone?

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<U6Ccnb-G_MNxuPr4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19251&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19251

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:52:15 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:52 UTC

On 29.11.23 11:03, John Ashby wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 10:37, krw wrote:
>> On 29.11.23 10:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023
>>> 09:35:05, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes

>>> []
>>> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school,
>>> and I don't think at secondary either.
>>>
>>> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
>>> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what
>>> the prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life.
>>> (Ladies/girls should learn too even though they don't have one - in
>>> the same way boys should learn about menstruation.)
>>
>> Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a
>> very long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren
>> that there is extensive coverage of these matters.
>>

> Yes, and very good teaching of the nature and importance of consent.
>
> Cup of tea, anyone?
>
> john

You don't need to ask - I always have coffee no matter when.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: OT from gransnet

<bbhamipn4ocvs0nfpt02bkngev4he4lba2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19254&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19254

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:49:58 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:49 UTC

On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:39:47 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>
>https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>
>We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>A film A Brother For Susan

I don't recall anything on the subject at primary school (though one
precocious boy in my class tried to run his own private version).

When working in the village school, the subject was under discussion, when
the local county education office imposed rules about it. We informed the
parents of what and how the school would be providing the subject, and
asked they tell us if they did not want their child(ren) in the lessons.
This, of course, was known as the withdrawal method.

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT from gransnet

<hvhamih04g2cdor7ekre5aku7mb02ace7t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19256&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19256

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:53:45 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 01:53 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 11:03:28 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...
>On 29/11/2023 10:37, krw wrote:

>> Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a very
>> long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren that there
>> is extensive coverage of these matters.
>>

>Yes, and very good teaching of the nature and importance of consent.

Hurrah!

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT from gransnet

<etjemitrildbocgg247jshveu383c5cnd6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19259&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19259

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:51:01 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:51 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:37:38 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 29.11.23 10:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
>> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>>>
>>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form
>>> biologists (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on
>>> the classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the
>>> Whip Woman."
>> []
>> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school, and
>> I don't think at secondary either.
>>
>> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
>> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what the
>> prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life. (Ladies/girls
>> should learn too even though they don't have one - in the same way boys
>> should learn about menstruation.)
>
>Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a very
>long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren that there
>is extensive coverage of these matters.

Kids these days don't need sex education lessons - they've all got
Snapchat.

Nick

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk7mme$t4s7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19261&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19261

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:51:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:atz6Dfc8tuIh2Eydd6IABH8DGyc=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:51 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>> On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
>>> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>>> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>>> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>>> A film A Brother For Susan
>>> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
>>> behavior though either time.
>>
>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form biologists
>> (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on the
>> classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the Whip
>> Woman."
> []
> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school, and
> I don't think at secondary either.
>
> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what the
> prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life. (Ladies/girls
> should learn too even though they don't have one - in the same way boys
> should learn about menstruation.)

From a periodical perhaps?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk7mrt$t5ii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19262&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19262

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:54:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tcDQthEqjLweaTRc6I0ARmnZ9zI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:54 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 10:37:38 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 29.11.23 10:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <uk70k9$oi1a$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 29 Nov 2023 09:35:05,
>>> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes

>>> []
>>> I'm pretty sure I (born 1960) never had any: not at primary school, and
>>> I don't think at secondary either.
>>>
>>> I hope it's better now - though I suspect still inadequate for other
>>> than the straight act: I bet most men don't have a knowledge of what the
>>> prostate _does_, other than give problems in later life. (Ladies/girls
>>> should learn too even though they don't have one - in the same way boys
>>> should learn about menstruation.)
>>
>> Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a very
>> long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren that there
>> is extensive coverage of these matters.
>
> Kids these days don't need sex education lessons - they've all got
> Snapchat.
>
> Nick

All we had in the very early sixties was: BBC: When a man and a woman
really love eachother…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk7n75$t7et$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19263&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19263

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:00:37 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:00 UTC

On 29/11/2023 11:52, krw wrote:
> On 29.11.23 11:03, John Ashby wrote:

>>> Whilst I have no direct experience (not having been to school for a
>>> very long time) I get a distinct impression from the grandchildren
>>> that there is extensive coverage of these matters.
>>>

>> Yes, and very good teaching of the nature and importance of consent.
>>
>> Cup of tea, anyone?
>>
>> john
>
> You don't need to ask - I always have coffee no matter when.

Well if you say you prefer coffee I shouldn't make you a cup of tea.

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<bqnudLqyi2ZlFwG$@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19267&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19267

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:37:06 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:37 UTC

In message <bbhamipn4ocvs0nfpt02bkngev4he4lba2@4ax.com> at Tue, 28 Nov
2023 01:49:58, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:39:47 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>in the dust...
[]
>>We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>>A film A Brother For Susan
>
>I don't recall anything on the subject at primary school (though one
>precocious boy in my class tried to run his own private version).

Of the film, or what it portrayed?!?

>When working in the village school, the subject was under discussion, when
>the local county education office imposed rules about it. We informed the
>parents of what and how the school would be providing the subject, and
>asked they tell us if they did not want their child(ren) in the lessons.
>This, of course, was known as the withdrawal method.

<VBG>
Out of curiosity, what proportion _did_ invoke that right? _Was_ it
actually correlatable with (what you knew of) their (the parents', I
mean) religious beliefs? (Some sects of Christianity, some others.)

G B Shaw said: "Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have
made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week."
(quoted by "Dont Bother" [sic], 2015-8-24.)

Re: OT from gransnet

<Z9M9N.21957$aoZb.181@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19275&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19275

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:20:25 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:20 UTC

On 29-Nov-23 11:52, krw wrote:
> On 29.11.23 11:03, John Ashby wrote:

>> Cup of tea, anyone?
>
> You don't need to ask - I always have coffee no matter when.

<swerve> Whilst Wofe visited an old friend yesterday, I went elsewhere
and decided to have a 'Full English Breakfast'[1][2].
The menu listed the contents of the breakfast, and added that it came
with "Tea, or Nescafé".
They clearly didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about what was
on offer.

[1] This was in Wales, but same difference.
[2] I succumb to this temptation once a year or so.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT from gransnet

<ibM9N.21958$aoZb.17287@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19276&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19276

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:21:51 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:21 UTC

On 29-Nov-23 10:25, John Ashby wrote:
> On 29/11/2023 09:35, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 28/11/2023 22:39, Vicky wrote:
>>> To cheer you all up as the days get darker, in many ways
>>>
>>> https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1329941-Sex-Education?pg=3
>>>
>>> We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>>> A film  A Brother For Susan
>>>
>>> And then second year secondary school sex was covered in Biology.Not
>>> behavior though either time.
>>
>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form
>> biologists (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on
>> the classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the
>> Whip Woman."
>>
>> Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
>> concern about frightening the horses.
>>
>> john
>>
> Apologies for the double post, the composition window didn't close
> suggesting thpost had not been sent.

No problem. There's a lot of it about.

No problem. There's a lot of it about.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT from gransnet

<crdfmi1ecup965gacg9qe6gi1p2eeg1gtv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19280&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19280

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:13:39 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:13 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 19:21:51 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 29-Nov-23 10:25, John Ashby wrote:

>>> I don't recall any formal sex ed in my schooling (between 1960 and
>>> 1974) other than the film on reproduction which the 6th form
>>> biologists (of which I was not one) were shown. My friend knocked on
>>> the classrooom door and asked "Is this the right room for Helga the
>>> Whip Woman."
>>>
>>> Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
>>> concern about frightening the horses.
>>>
>>> john
>>>
>> Apologies for the double post, the composition window didn't close
>> suggesting thpost had not been sent.
>
>No problem. There's a lot of it about.
>

>No problem. There's a lot of it about.

I blame Travis Bickle.

Nick

Re: OT from gransnet

<uk8dj7$10m6m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19281&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19281

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:22:31 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 22:22 UTC

On 29/11/2023 19:20, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 29-Nov-23 11:52, krw wrote:
>> On 29.11.23 11:03, John Ashby wrote:
>
>>> Cup of tea, anyone?
>>
>> You don't need to ask - I always have coffee no matter when.
>>
> <swerve>  Whilst Wofe visited an old friend yesterday, I went elsewhere
> and decided to have a 'Full English Breakfast'[1][2].
> The menu listed the contents of the breakfast, and added that it came
> with "Tea, or Nescafé".
> They clearly didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about what was
> on offer.
>
> [1] This was in Wales, but same difference.

Doesn't the Full Welsh come with lavabread?

john

Re: OT from gransnet

<87v89k112n.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19287&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19287

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:28:48 +0000
sha1:h8Hl03gUZcChJWrsNI4J7CjvJog=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:28 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes:

> Mine Dew, growing up in Newmarket there might have been justifiable
> concern about frightening the horses.

I thought they had Matt Hancock to do that.

Rosie

Re: OT from gransnet

<87r0k810x4.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19288&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19288

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:32:07 +0000
sha1:PMiqIgHeH3k8ba21lJkj9FL0faY=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:32 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 29/11/2023 19:20, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> You don't need to ask - I always have coffee no matter when.
>>>
>> <swerve>  Whilst Wofe visited an old friend yesterday, I went
>> elsewhere and decided to have a 'Full English Breakfast'[1][2].
>> The menu listed the contents of the breakfast, and added that it
>> came with "Tea, or Nescafé".
>> They clearly didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about what
>> was on offer.
>> [1] This was in Wales, but same difference.
>
> Doesn't the Full Welsh come with lavabread?

Only in the old volcanic areas.

Rosie

Re: OT from gransnet

<87msuw10rs.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19289&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19289

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:35:19 +0000
sha1:ZvozSnric4nuc3KDx7go0SxkIZI=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 01:35 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

> The menu listed the contents of the breakfast, and added that it came
> with "Tea, or Nescafé".
> They clearly didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about what
> was on offer.

That I suspect should be PG Tips or Nascafé. I doubt if such an
establishment was offering First Flush Darjeeling.

Rosie

Re: OT from gransnet

<_f5aN.87203$OAC8.50471@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19307&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19307

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:20:26 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 30 Nov 2023 19:20 UTC

On 30-Nov-23 1:35, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:
>
>> The menu listed the contents of the breakfast, and added that it came
>> with "Tea, or Nescafé".
>> They clearly didn't want there to be any misunderstanding about what
>> was on offer.
>
> That I suspect should be PG Tips or Nascafé. I doubt if such an
> establishment was offering First Flush Darjeeling.

It was interesting, since Wofe used to visit that same 'cafe' many years
ago (I suppose it must have changed hands a few times) and happily
described the very pretty teapots, cup and saucers they used. Clearly a
very genteel establishment back then.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT from gransnet

<uneemi5uvodol3j3g4fo6tv6revq3ljs6h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19314&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19314

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:39:43 +0000
 by: Penny - Wed, 29 Nov 2023 13:39 UTC

On Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:37:06 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>In message <bbhamipn4ocvs0nfpt02bkngev4he4lba2@4ax.com> at Tue, 28 Nov
>2023 01:49:58, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>>On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 22:39:47 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>>in the dust...
>[]
>>>We did have sex ed, I think top of primary schoool
>>>A film A Brother For Susan
>>
>>I don't recall anything on the subject at primary school (though one
>>precocious boy in my class tried to run his own private version).

>Of the film, or what it portrayed?!?

Neither.
He had learned about sex from his parents and educated by demonstration
what he had learnt, given a chance...

>>When working in the village school, the subject was under discussion, when
>>the local county education office imposed rules about it. We informed the
>>parents of what and how the school would be providing the subject, and
>>asked they tell us if they did not want their child(ren) in the lessons.
>>This, of course, was known as the withdrawal method.
>>
><VBG>
>Out of curiosity, what proportion _did_ invoke that right? _Was_ it
>actually correlatable with (what you knew of) their (the parents', I
>mean) religious beliefs? (Some sects of Christianity, some others.)

Two girls from one family were withdrawn - proportionally about 5%. I'm not
sure about their religion, probably Anglican.
While I worked there there were only two children withdrawn from classes
run by the vicar, one was a Muslim, the other was D2 (nothing against any
religion, I just knew the vicar was not a good man).